[Variety] Our Neighborhood Variety Sports (우리동네 예체능)

Editing was much better this ep...is the strike over? lol

def much better this week and def feels diff~ 
bcoz of kimhyuk,seo ji suk got a taste of what park jin young and KHD had went thru with their wives the last time he made the headlines bcoz of the show~ the wife spazz over kim hyuk in front of him~ LOL funny that he turned frm the cool character right to funny one in this epi~ 
It was funny cuz it looked like Kim Hyuk was gonna be the MVP of the game early on, especially after the one hand dunk but he kinda disappeared the second half...what happened to him? did he get hurt or something? he wasn't even in the game during crunch time right?    Maybe SJS paid off the coaches to bench Kim Hyuk cuz he wants to be known as the 'ace' again. 

nope he wasnt hurt but the coach took him out~ apparently for a "healthier" team play? its to give more courage and confidence to the other team mates so that they dont just rely on the good players but step up and play/shoot as well~ he said he wants to win but winning is not everything~ so he took kim hyuk out in the 3rd quarter~ hey it worked,hyejung's 3point shoot was in the 3rd quarter~ 
and julian saving his "uncle"'s shots ♥ JINJU KAAANG haha~their play were awesome~
and in the recent interview,kim hyuk revealed that his back dunk isnt actually a real "dunk"~he made a mistake while doing it~
http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsId=20131211115804614

and denies the rumors that the goal is lowered~

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

laydeebutterfly said: Editing was much better this ep...is the strike over? lol

bcoz of kimhyuk,seo ji suk got a taste of what park jin young and KHD had went thru with their wives the last time he made the headlines bcoz of the show~ the wife spazz over kim hyuk in front of him~ LOL funny that he turned frm the cool character right to funny one in this epi~ 
It was funny cuz it looked like Kim Hyuk was gonna be the MVP of the game early on, especially after the one hand dunk but he kinda disappeared the second half...what happened to him? did he get hurt or something? he wasn't even in the game during crunch time right?    Maybe SJS paid off the coaches to bench Kim Hyuk cuz he wants to be known as the 'ace' again. 

nope he wasnt hurt but the coach took him out~ apparently for a "healthier" team play? its to give more courage and confidence to the other team mates so that they dont just rely on the good players but step up and play/shoot as well~ he said he wants to win but winning is not everything~ so he took kim hyuk out in the 3rd quarter~ hey it worked,hyejung's 3point shoot was in the 3rd quarter~ 
and julian saving his "uncle"'s shots ♥ JINJU KAAANG haha~their play were awesome~
and in the recent interview,kim hyuk revealed that his back dunk isnt actually a real "dunk"~he made a mistake while doing it~

laydeebutterfly said: Editing was much better this ep...is the strike over? lol

Guest soongmoon

Skills over fun?

2013-12-11 11:59

20131211000823_0.jpg

Double-clutch layups and breakaway slam dunks are not the usual repertoire of basketball shows on South Korean TV. But with Kim Hyuk, you’ve got another thing coming.

The 39-year-old South Korean actor is wowing the viewers and even his teammates on the celebrity basketball team appearing in KBS’s “Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education” with his performance on the court.

With Kim dominating the court, however, some are complaining that the KBS show has lost its initial concept of “average Joes working to improve themselves and vying to get one win.”

The program’s initial idea was to be a “health variety show which anyone can participate in.” True to its catchphrase, the show’s earlier episodes -- in which the co-hosts competed in table tennis, bowling and badminton -- featured celebrities who were not particularly skilled in their respective sports.

While the celebrities were stars on TV, they were also novices on the court, which helped viewers relate to them going up against top amateur athletes.

The stars in the basketball episode, however, can hardly be called beginners. All its members, except main host Kang Ho-dong, have years of experience shooting hoops. And actor Julien Kang’s towering 191-centimeter frame and athleticism is a far cry from the “average Joe.”

The pinnacle of this recruitment of established players was the addition of Kim Hyuk, who joined the team after it was hampered by a series of injuries. Kim played organized basketball until his college years,

Powered by Kim’s athleticism and skills, which even rival some of the top college players, the “Our Neighborhood” team has cruised to a 3-1 record over amateur teams. This is in stark contrast to the “Our Neighborhood” team’s earlier days, when they failed to grab a single win over amateurs.

Kim’s performance certainly provides entertainment, but many are complaining that they miss the fun of watching the players grow. Kim and Julien Kang, easily the two most important players on the team, are already established players and there has been almost no growth in their ability during the show.

The only beginner in the show, Kang Ho-dong, was virtually cast aside, so that he now focuses primarily on the sideline comedy.

“Pooling players who are already very good, and piling up wins against other teams are not why I tuned in to watch the show,” said one viewer on an online basketball community discussion board. Another person lamented that he was no longer able to watch beginners improve.

Others pointed out that the skill gap between beginners and experienced players in basketball is virtually insurmountable. “If they started with beginners, they wouldn’t be able to compete with top amateur teams at all,” said one netizen.

“The reason we watch TV shows is for entertainment, so what’s wrong with celebrities like Kim Hyuk showing off their skills?”

By Yoon Min-sik

Source:Korea Herald

LOL!  Kim Hyuk is one of the reasons why I am watching Cool Kiz's Basketball Series. None the least the other aces and members are awesome too.

Lost interest in the badminton series coz the members couldn't really play except for Nickhun and the professor. Badminton becomes Lostminton!!!!

Guest soongmoon

class="postitle" [TRANS] 131206 Was it a match between national representatives? The Korea-Japan Cool Kidz match which left everybody on the edge of their seats December 6, 2013

minnie

On this day, approximately 1200 members of the audience were gathered at the match venue. Although the production team had initially planned to only gather 750 audience members, approximately 25,000 people applied, creating a 33:1 competition for the seats.

Chicako Ikeuchi (46), who revealed that she was a Max Changmin fan, said “Although I started watching Cool Kidz because I like Max Changmin, now I know the members such as Kang Ho Dong, Julien Kang, Kim Hyuk etc. I really appreciate how they smile so earnestly and work so hard they are sweating profusely.”

When Max Changmin caught the ball, the crowd’s roar got even louder. The fans shared his pity when he groaned when he missed the ball or made a mistake.

This match will be broadcast on December 17.

Source: daum
Translated by: @mug_ping
Shared by: WBC

* only parts of the article were translated

Me too, Kim Hyuk: his skill and his smile \m/ soongmoon said: Skills over fun?

2013-12-11 11:59

20131211000823_0.jpg

Double-clutch layups and breakaway slam dunks are not the usual repertoire of basketball shows on South Korean TV. But with Kim Hyuk, you’ve got another thing coming.

The 39-year-old South Korean actor is wowing the viewers and even his teammates on the celebrity basketball team appearing in KBS’s “Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education” with his performance on the court.

With Kim dominating the court, however, some are complaining that the KBS show has lost its initial concept of “average Joes working to improve themselves and vying to get one win.”

The program’s initial idea was to be a “health variety show which anyone can participate in.” True to its catchphrase, the show’s earlier episodes -- in which the co-hosts competed in table tennis, bowling and badminton -- featured celebrities who were not particularly skilled in their respective sports.

While the celebrities were stars on TV, they were also novices on the court, which helped viewers relate to them going up against top amateur athletes.

The stars in the basketball episode, however, can hardly be called beginners. All its members, except main host Kang Ho-dong, have years of experience shooting hoops. And actor Julien Kang’s towering 191-centimeter frame and athleticism is a far cry from the “average Joe.”

The pinnacle of this recruitment of established players was the addition of Kim Hyuk, who joined the team after it was hampered by a series of injuries. Kim played organized basketball until his college years,

Powered by Kim’s athleticism and skills, which even rival some of the top college players, the “Our Neighborhood” team has cruised to a 3-1 record over amateur teams. This is in stark contrast to the “Our Neighborhood” team’s earlier days, when they failed to grab a single win over amateurs.

Kim’s performance certainly provides entertainment, but many are complaining that they miss the fun of watching the players grow. Kim and Julien Kang, easily the two most important players on the team, are already established players and there has been almost no growth in their ability during the show.

The only beginner in the show, Kang Ho-dong, was virtually cast aside, so that he now focuses primarily on the sideline comedy.

“Pooling players who are already very good, and piling up wins against other teams are not why I tuned in to watch the show,” said one viewer on an online basketball community discussion board. Another person lamented that he was no longer able to watch beginners improve.

Others pointed out that the skill gap between beginners and experienced players in basketball is virtually insurmountable. “If they started with beginners, they wouldn’t be able to compete with top amateur teams at all,” said one netizen.

“The reason we watch TV shows is for entertainment, so what’s wrong with celebrities like Kim Hyuk showing off their skills?”

By Yoon Min-sik

Source:Korea Herald

LOL!  Kim Hyuk is one of the reasons why I am watching Cool Kiz's Basketball Series. None the least the other aces and members are awesome too.

Lost interest in the badminton series coz the members couldn't really play except for Nickhun and the professor. Badminton becomes Lostminton!!!!

Oh no, can't paste image. But you can see his flexiblity here:
http://sports.chosun.com/news/utype.htm?id=201312150100133020008241&ServiceDate=20131215

Guest soongmoon

[Trans] Kim Hyuk's remarkable flexibility on Cool Kiz on the Block
2013-12-15 14:21:48

KBS2 ' Cool Kiz on the Block  surprise star wowed everyone with his flexibility to fly in the air.

He displayed an extraordinary flexibility with his knees and arms stretched to the back as if he was in a yoga pose (pic).

2013121501001330200082411.jpg
Source:sports.chosun

[Trans] Kim Hyuk ,the ace of Cool Kiz on the Block is injured.
2013.12.17 11:05:10

It seemed that Kim Hyuk has injured his ligament after jumping during the heated match between Cool Kiz and Slam Dunk. The unexpected injury is bad news for the Cool Kiz team.

1768cc2d-e798-4501-ba66-0a45461c63a7_zps

The look of pain is imminent upon Kim Hyuk's face and also on his team members'. He expressed his sadness behind the scene.

dd67981e-180a-4288-82d6-ef977b14e991_zps

However, Kim Hyuk's injury sparked a fighting spirit among his teammates and boosted their morale.You can see the Rise of Kim Hyuk's fighting spirit on the Dec 17 broadcast at 11:20pm on KBS2 TV.

62bd45aa-8f0a-49ac-863d-bf067419ae00_zps
The Rise of the Phoenix (Kim Hyuk)

http://image.mt.co.kr/image_display_origin.php?ImageID=2013121616045835106_1.jpg

news.mt.co.kr

http://image.news1.kr/system/photos/2013/12/16/696787/article.jpg
news1.kr

Source:http://news1.kr/articles/1454526

This episode is definitely the most challenging and highly anticipated for Cool Kiz. Poor..Poor Kim Hyuk. There is hope yet for tonight's episode.

Guest soongmoon

Episode 35

Episode 37  (Tudou Link)

Seeing Kim Hyuk injured made me realize the reason why he quit professional basketball. All the jumping put a lot strain on his ankle where he received his surgery years before. It was similar to SJS with his knee injury and back pain.Even SJS hit his head in this match.

One thing for sure, the match was intense and the Cool Kiz''s team made too many errors with their passes. They were not able to break themselves free to receive passes for the offense and there were a few stolen balls as well. The Japanese players were tall and fast esp the No.5 player as he single handedly scored the bulk of the points to catch up with Cool Kiz's.

• Though they were playing in Japan, most of the spectators were actually Changmin's fans which was quite hilarious and ironic as they were rooting for the Cool Kiz.
  • Kim Hyuk was interviewed for the first time in this episode.  Can't wait for the subs.

(By rhdtk)

View on Dailymotion Part 1

View on Dailymotion Part 2 

That game was intense to say the least. It was the best game they played as a team and looked like a team compared to the previous game that they played before they went to Japan. The fact that the Slam Dunk Team had to use a full court press showed how good Cool Kiz were playing and how desperate SD wanted to win. The adjustment to use a back pick to free up Julian on the block was smart and effective, especially with No. 1 playing good defense on him throughout the game.

If SJS really went 3-3 from the 3 point line, that would be amazing. I still hate how he falls away from all his shots, especially his free throws. Same goes for Julian, dude is exactly like Dwight Howard the guy he took his number from, beast on the block but crap from the foul line.

Even though they are playing another game, if that was the last game, it would have been a good way to go out. Makes me wonder what the next sport is gonna be after the holidays and before they head to Sochi for the Olympics (if it happens, like Dream Team coming to Hawaii)...

I picked up this show in the middle somewhere, i saw their bowling, and  badminton episodes, but honestly... BASKETBALL is their best sport they played. Considering the fact that they made me ( A NON SPORTS FAN.. by that i mean, i dont watch sports at all....) in to a basketball fan. Granted, its probably because i know these actors and i like seeing their progress as well. But, still, it almost makes me want to hold a basketball and shoot some hoops. =)This Match against the Japanese players, was nail biting..... Their were times, when i had to pause , cuz i couldnt take the pressure. lolI will miss the whole cast, when they move on to another game. I hope they dont... i wanna see them some more............ =/Does any one know, when they are going to move on to the next sport.   
Willl miss everyone on the team!

soongmoon said:

• Though they were playing in Japan, most of the spectators were actually Changmin's fans which was quite hilarious and ironic as they were rooting for the Cool Kiz.
  • Kim Hyuk was interviewed for the first time in this episode.  Can't wait for the subs.

Guest soongmoon

Kim Hyuk Displays Fighting Spirit Despite Sprained Ankle
[2013-12-18]

The match will be held as part of sports-for-all exchange that has been taking place between sports groups from Korea and Japan since 1997. Both team are resolved to win the upcoming match to enhance their national pride, and basketball fans are sure to be looking forward to the clash. 

Prior to the hot match, Cool Kids ace Kim Hyuk pulled a ligament during play. He sprained his ankle while landing after a jump, which was caused by the court being slippery with sweat. Team members felt sorry for Kim as he was writhing in agony grasping ankle and lying on the floor.

Fans are very anxious how much of a negative effect Kim Hyuk’s injury will have on the team play of Cool Kids.

"They had fire in their eyes on the outlook for victory."

Regardless of his injury, Kim Hyuk expressed strong desire for victory, encouraging his comrades and sparking their hopes for victory again. 

Whether Kim Hyuk plays in the match will be confirmed in the 37th episode of “Cool Kids on the Block” that will air Dec. 17.

Cool Kids on the Block shows sports matches between celebrities and ordinary people 'on the block'. It airs every Tuesday at 11:20 p.m.

KBS 2TV’s “Cool Kids on the Block”, which is now spreading basketball fever nationwide by presenting thrilling matches, will feature a Korea-Japan clash between the Cool Kids basketball team and a Japanese sports-for-all team called “Slam Dunk” in its 37th episode.

Source:KBS Global

Guest soongmoon

The Cool Kiz was just lucky with this match....If their main players had not had stepped up their game, they would have been consoling one another in the locker room by the end of the day. They could not afford to lose this one very important match.

LOL at those netizens complaining that Cool Kiz is comprised of too many skilled players and not enuff  'average joes' ...can you imagine how embarrassingly one sided the score would've been if Cool Kiz didn't have these ballers?

I agree with you. Even those average joes or club players are really good players. They need good or decent players. Even the worst of the opposing players don't play like KHD. A few of the Gag Concert comedians with KHD's built can play even better. Just watch from the recent Let's Go Dream Team: Basketball Special. They might not be the best but they would not embarrass themselves with very poor skills. I wouldn't cringe from watching them play. In fact, I wish they would give Hye Jeong more screen time.

These coaches for Cool Kiz are too slow in making adjustments. That Slam Dunk team was fronting him & denying him the entry pass and Cool Kiz were still trying to force it into him to no avail.  Did it really take an entire half for the coach to finally realize the futility of that & to run some back picks for Julian to free him up?

The Cool Kiz should have learnt a thing or two from their training with the elementary school students.  The young ballers were already running the back picks then to free up their guards. I thought they were really cool then. Kim Hyuk is definitely the ace here but even he couldn't do much if he was heavily marked by not one but up to four players at one time.

This is clearly not one of Cool Kiz's better games but I do hope that they have learnt more strategies for offense and defense.

I do hope that this will not be last time for us to enjoy watching Kim Hyuk in his elements. I think he is a better player than an actor.

Archived