[Drama 2013] Master's Sun 주군의 태양

jaiwook_08

Sunset90, I actually liked that it got extended. Even though there weren't a lot of OTP scenes, which I'm fine with as long as the time is used wisely or rather, is not wasted like I find a lot of Kdrama do, I liked that they incorporated the fact that TGS finally met someone who lives in the world that she lives in. I think she needed to be confronted with that because of the story of the Wolf and Lamb that symbolized her relationship with JJW. Here she had a chance to experience a possible friendship and maybe an eventual relationship with someone who shared her world but ultimately I think it made her realize that no matter if JJW could not see the same things that she could, he was the one she loved and wanted to spend the rest of her life with. That's one of the reasons I love the rooftop scene so much. 
I also think TGS really needed to regain her self-confidence. If we think about it, the only people who thought she was "good enough" for JJW were Secretary Kim and Kang Woo. I liked that she confessed to JJW that after she started to like him she started to hate how low her life had gotten. I think that was very important for her to consider because I don't think it would have been healthy for her to just start an official relationship with JJW without at least trying discover the reason why she ended up that way and trying to fix her life. See, as much as I like love scenes and couples, I like good storytelling. 
Most importantly, when all was said and done, even before the final OTP scene happened, they had already cemented my opinion that these two would last through thick and thin. Even though their worlds were different, they got along so well (even when they were at odds) that I couldn't see anything but "forever" for them.
As to other drama getting me excited, my mind is on the older drama Secret Garden. I tried to watch it five times over the past three years and I just can't get past the first couple of episodes. I'm going to try again but maybe romcom truly is truly not my forte. That's why Master's Sun worked for me because it has a blend of many things and I really do find that it used the time wisely. Plus, I really enjoyed the cast in TMS. 

• Replies 32.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@celebrianna Ofcourse I loved TGS's change in character and I loved the part where she met someone from the past and got to rediscover herself. I never said anything against that. But if you watch episode 15-16 many times and compare it with all the other episodes. You can see the differences in the editing. 
The early episodes are so fast. The pacing doesn't let us even breathe for a minute. The scenes of these two episodes were great but if you look closely you would see longer cuts of JJW walking (for eg)  or longer scenes which were secret fillings =)). Blame it for me watching a million times =)). 
Had this been 16 episodes, I'm sure TGS's development would have still been a part but the speed would have made us sit on the edge of the seat. When you watch everything together and marathoning you won't catch it. But if you had watched like me, livestream with a week gap between 2 episodes. You would have clearly seen the difference. 
Watching it while it is airing gives us lot of time to analyse each and every frame. The whole thread would have talked talked talked for a week about the episodes. 

Oh, another thing to realize is that although our beloved OTP might not have had a lot of scenes together in the last episode, we saw that even when they were sharing scenes with other people, they were thinking of each other. I very much appreciated the story's short focus on the trashman adjussi. I find it so endearing that while TGS was gone from JJW's life, he probably spent time with the trashcan adjussi just so he can feel closer to TGS. I mean, how sweet is that? He can't even see or hear the trashcan ghost and yet it was comforting to him to hear that trashcan bang when he talked to the trashcan adjussi about TGS. 
Also, in every scene with someone else, if I'm not mistaken, TGS talked about JJW. She told her sister that she planned to buy the building because someone told her he would give her a chance if she owned the building. She told the liquor-loving ghost that she ruined her plans because of her unexpected meeting with JJW. She told his aunt that she intended to hold unto him tightly and live by his side. She told KW that she gathered all the sun she had in order to come back to the side of the man she loves. She told the two cute little boys that she intended to live with JJW because they basically can't live without each other. She told Secretary Kim that now that she had purchased the building she's met the basic criteria for JJW's consideration. Basically, TGS spent the last episode re-affirming her love for JJW with anyone who had ears to listen. lol 
On JJW's side, his impatience to be officially reunited with her was nice to watch. He even wants to get married as soon as possible. Now, think about it. This is a guy who had four public engagements and didn't care that people talked about him breaking them off. In other words, he's a capricious man. Yet, here is JJW practically chomping at the bit to get married in as little time as possible to TGS. That sincerely moved me especially when I look back on his journey towards the man he became. A man who tears up when he talks about his love and desire to marry while talking to the trashcan adjussi. So sweet. 4e5dd44a.gif

Sunset90, I didn't see your post until now. I hear you. I never watch drama live. I always wait until they're finished. I also do the same with tv shows here in the US and in England. I like binge watching so I don't have the patience to wait weekly for a show. Watching TMS as a whole is really satisfying for me. Since no show is perfect, I always make allowances for minor things that I thought that could have been done better. :) 
About TMS,itI makes me ponder a lot. I still find it a strange dichotomy the way JJW was practically still traumatized by his past relationship with CHJ and yet something else began to grow in his heart after meeting TGS while also reviving the trauma and hurt of his past love with CHJ. Clearly he was still hurt during that scene where Hee jo possessed TGS' body as well as in the early episodes of the drama. He also remained afraid of finding out too much about what happened with Hee jo even while he was falling in love with TGS. It's complicated, I guess. I don't think he still loved Hee jo but I think the betrayal he felt still affected his ability to trust someone and here was TGS unlocking his heart while he was totally unaware. I still try to figure all this out when I watch TMS.

@celebrianna
You should really try watching a drama livestream... just once... 
The wait is crazy but the forum life is amazing. Everyone posts their opinions, make friends, talk about what happens next, The anticipation, little drabbles and fanfics, it's just amazing. Especially when a drama is as good as TMS, the forum is just buzzing. It's as addictive as the drama. lol. 
TMS is the first drama, I started posting regularly. I've made so many friends. It's like a sweet family. You get to talk to others about your drama. You just form your mini-gang. :)
I remember writing drabbles(short fics) of trash can ajhussi's daughter's marriage...
and even a drabble where TGS says she hates showering because of the water ghosts... and JJW becomes naughty (talking about using her shield while showering =)) ) ... All are buried in there =)) 
About the doubts and stuff you ponder, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Those are stuff we sit and analyse and talk about every week. When more people think, we get more perspectives and more dimensions to the story. 
 I sure was stalking this forum. I still do :D
You surely should pick a perfect drama to start watching live. I think you'll love it, especially when you like pondering such dimensions of the story. 
To be honest Secret Garden never touched me that much either. I never saw the hype for it. It was alright... I liked the acting. I liked the characters more than the story. 
Try Queen In Hyun's Man... Let's see if you have my taste :))

@celebrianna....WELCOME to the thread...!!...It is so beautiful to return to the thread and see new fans here, a tribute absolutely to how TMS is being received by more and more international fans....Thank you so much, YAY!!!
Just reading over your comments here, I feel so enlightened by your thoughts because everybody have different perceptions, different facets of what they see on screen, and I love what you have done....brought new light to perhaps more discussion on this truly amazing drama, YAY!!...What you have suggested here about the passion/kissing scenes is really thought provoking, I appreciate your views absolutely and kinda look at it now in such a different way....Love it!!
TMS, watching it live or not, continues to encapsulate so much energy, thoughts and emotions when ever you watch it. Of course, being raw and new to K-Drama, these are perhaps the best times to watch and as @Sunset90 has stated, get caught up in the energy and vibe of fans worldwide. But I feel that TMS has a different type of aura, or calibre if you like formed by its own status in K-Drama that continues to draw discussion, views and interpretations which is absolutely fantastic, and so great to see even now since its release in 2013. So it really does not matter when TMS has been watched, the effect is still the same....sigh!
I mean, having a gorgeous-model-come-actor-who-loves-hip-hop make 'Get Lost' such a figurative word (which is frowned upon in Korea), and yet has been remembered as one of the indelible statements that people have related TMS with. Having the rom-com-queen-with-the-ability-to-shine bring TGS character to life, making it so real with so much passion and energy....how can we not continue to love and respect TMS after so long!!....I absolutely give so much adulation and respect to this beautiful couple for specifically allowing me to feel their chemistry, and feel their connection on scree which to me, made TMS so absolutely amazing and fantastic. Of course, credit also to the writers, directors, support cast and crew, everyone involved with TMS, but personally, it is how and what the main actors contributed from their own understanding and experience of being professionals, interpreted and presented to the screen. SJS & KHJ, absolutely nailed TMS in my eyes, and I will always treasure and adore them both together and as individuals. TMS changed my life absolutely... 
But thank you again @celebrianna for bringing new insight into those kiss scenes, and I agree totally, its not all about the kissing and how it should be done (wink wink nudge nudge)...(or how many there should be)...ahem.ahem....(its not all about US guys.....our needs and wants...)....Its about the creativity and emotion of TMS, and how it will remain everlasting in our hearts and memories. ...@celebrianna, your fresh thoughts have made TMS even more fabulous and precious....sigh!!....Thank you so much....
TMS FIGHTING!!......@EVERYONE FIGHTING!!....

:-bd :-bd :-bd

Guest kyung-jin

itemprop="name"10 Things about K-dramas that make no sense (but we love anyway)

by Lauren Jinkerson on Thu, Apr 16, 2015

Ever have that moment when you're watching a K-drama and you think "wait....what just happened?". Sometimes our eyes are strained from all the rolling and our voices hoarse from all the screaming. But some of the things that make the least sense (I'll use piggyback rides to the hospital as an example) are the things that make us the most deliriously happy when it happens on the screen. Here are 10 things in K-dramas that we often find ourselves rolling our eyes at but that we secretly love. 

3. A lovable Second Lead

We all know about Second Lead Syndrome! It's one of the most frustrating things about K-dramas, but at the same time one of my favorite things. I love arguing for hours with my friends whether the main female lead should end up with the main male lead or the second male lead. Hours of conversations have been had! And yet it still shocks me that the female leads will pick a much less deserving male lead over a very kind and sweet second lead. 

The Master's Sun: Seo In Guk

Screen_Shot_2015-04-14_at_10.50.13_AM.pn

Source: http://www.dramafever.com/news/10-things-about-k-dramas-that-make-no-sense-but-we-love-anyway/

Sunset90, I honestly can't watch a drama live. I usually watch drama based on recommendations after they are finished just so I don't waste my time. However, I do understand what you mean about the camaraderie that springs from watching a drama together and sharing opinions and thoughts. I did read through early parts of the thread and I even saw that some people didn't like JJW's attitude in the early episodes. I also saw that some thought the script was kind of misogynistic because of Gong Ri's comment to Gong Shil that maybe she needs a man's energy to cure her of seeing ghosts. lol Well, the conversations were interesting but having been in several fandom for several years, I sometimes like to limit my contact with fandom while watching a show because it can get very negative at times to the point that it taints my enjoyment. 
Your naughty scenario is hilarious. Gong Shil afraid to take a shower and Joong Won offering to be her shield is pure gold. I imagine these two having a lot of fun together after they are married and living together under the same roof. I****ume Gong Shil went to China with Joong Won and when they return to South Korea then she'd enroll in University to finish her studies. I must say I was curious to know what her field of study was but it was never mentioned.  
I have QIHM in my queue to watch. I had started it two years ago but I can't remember why I stopped. I watched Pinocchio and though I don't hear much about that drama, I liked it because it explored the detrimental impact irresponsible journalism can have on the lives of others. It dragged a little but it kept me interested from beginning to end. I guess what I need from a drama is a meaningful conflict. Like I liked So Ji-sub's Ghost except that it was very frustrating to see them going in circles because the antagonist had so many dirty connections in the justice system.  

chakita babe said: @celebrianna....WELCOME to the thread...!!...It is so beautiful to return to the thread and see new fans here, a tribute absolutely to how TMS is being received by more and more international fans....Thank you so much, YAY!!!
Just reading over your comments here, I feel so enlightened by your thoughts because everybody have different perceptions, different facets of what they see on screen, and I love what you have done....brought new light to perhaps more discussion on this truly amazing drama, YAY!!...What you have suggested here about the passion/kissing scenes is really thought provoking, I appreciate your views absolutely and kinda look at it now in such a different way....Love it!!
TMS, watching it live or not, continues to encapsulate so much energy, thoughts and emotions when ever you watch it. Of course, being raw and new to K-Drama, these are perhaps the best times to watch and as @Sunset90 has stated, get caught up in the energy and vibe of fans worldwide. But I feel that TMS has a different type of aura, or calibre if you like formed by its own status in K-Drama that continues to draw discussion, views and interpretations which is absolutely fantastic, and so great to see even now since its release in 2013. So it really does not matter when TMS has been watched, the effect is still the same....sigh!
I mean, having a gorgeous-model-come-actor-who-loves-hip-hop make 'Get Lost' such a figurative word (which is frowned upon in Korea), and yet has been remembered as one of the indelible statements that people have related TMS with. Having the rom-com-queen-with-the-ability-to-shine bring TGS character to life, making it so real with so much passion and energy....how can we not continue to love and respect TMS after so long!!....I absolutely give so much adulation and respect to this beautiful couple for specifically allowing me to feel their chemistry, and feel their connection on scree which to me, made TMS so absolutely amazing and fantastic. Of course, credit also to the writers, directors, support cast and crew, everyone involved with TMS, but personally, it is how and what the main actors contributed from their own understanding and experience of being professionals, interpreted and presented to the screen. SJS & KHJ, absolutely nailed TMS in my eyes, and I will always treasure and adore them both together and as individuals. TMS changed my life absolutely... 
But thank you again @celebrianna for bringing new insight into those kiss scenes, and I agree totally, its not all about the kissing and how it should be done (wink wink nudge nudge)...(or how many there should be)...ahem.ahem....(its not all about US guys.....our needs and wants...)....Its about the creativity and emotion of TMS, and how it will remain everlasting in our hearts and memories. ...@celebrianna, your fresh thoughts have made TMS even more fabulous and precious....sigh!!....Thank you so much....
TMS FIGHTING!!......@EVERYONE FIGHTING!!....

:-bd :-bd :-bd

cutie_let_let said: celebrianna said: I think I fell into the blackhole of Master's Sun. The funny thing is I didn't even see it coming. 
So, after spending an entire year studying for an important exam that I took in December, I decided to catch up on Kdrama since I pay for Dramafever. I started watching several well received drama including My Love From Anther Planet and I Can Hear Your Voice and then I discovered Master's Sun. I honestly don't know how I ended up watching this drama like ten times or so in the past two months and I don't get bored at all. The conversations, particularly between JJW and TGS, are so entertaining in many ways. I can't believe how hard I've fallen for this couple. Now I'm trying to ease myself off this drama by watching American shows instead because just hearing the Korean language makes me only want to watch Master's Sun. I think I need rehab from Master's Sun.

@celebrianna 
It's so amazing to thing how people think differently. 
I was a marathon watcher too. But in order to save time I changed to only ongoing drama watching. Usually I choose a drama which has ended. For example I watch Queen In Hyun's man only after it ended. But I saw that I started marathoning continuously one after the other... with no food or sleep =)) ... Seriously!! I would be watching for 15 hours straight... Especially when I was living alone, no one was there to stop me >:) ... 
Even if I was in my senses, I've never found the strength to stop at one episode per day. That's why I chose ongoing. No matter what happens, I wouldn't be able to see the next episode =))
Regarding the negativity in the forum, In the beginning of every drama, everyone is sceptical about it. It's like testing waters. But the best point is, if someone writes something negative, all the forum members are free to voice out their opinion against it. I never had the hesitation to do so. Negativity dies down after the drama has picked up. People who don't like it obviously have to stop watching isn't it? =)) 
I've been in the one of the most low rated drama threads, to be honest, the threads are actually more positive and happy when compared to the comments in other drama listings website. 
Usually I watch the first 4 episodes together, to get a feel and to judge the drama. The first episode usually doesn't give the correct impression. It may drag a bit since we need to be introduced to the plot. So I wait 2 weeks. Watch all the 4 episodes with subs and then come to the forum. That's why I have no idea about the remarks on the initial episodes. I would have joined only 2 weeks later. After the first 2 weeks, if I like it, I watch it while it is ongoing. 2 hours a week is pretty good for curbing my addiction. Some of my friends are baffled on how I have this control.

@jadecloud, I watched the BTS stuff as well. I also have the gifs of the interviews in my "Likes" on Tumblr. I know for sure that TMS is one of those drama that I will re-watch every so often and my fondness for it will be preserved because as I mentioned before, there are old shows that  I love from years ago that I still re-watch every so often because I'm very fond of them. There's really no cure for it. 
By the way, I was particularly impressed by SJS because when I look at his other drama and his movie, he always seem to play melancholy, serious, loner-like characters. I was so glad to see his versatility as an actor on display. He nailed it so well with his gestures, diction and facial expressions. Even the emotions in his eyes were palpable.and spot on. Is it true that he wore his own suits? 
@Sunset90, I know all too well the ridiculous hours watching drama. I'm guilty of calling in sick to work twice just because I stayed up late marathoning  TMS. lol Yes, I admit it. I used two sick days. Now I just try to watch drama on the weekends but I try to mix up the shows I watch because it's feels unhealthy to just watch kdrama all the time. lol Usually I only watch a few per year and they're always finished drama. I still didn't finish Bridal Mask so I have unfinished business to attend to.

jadecloud said: cutie_let_let said: celebrianna said: I think I fell into the blackhole of Master's Sun. The funny thing is I didn't even see it coming. 
So, after spending an entire year studying for an important exam that I took in December, I decided to catch up on Kdrama since I pay for Dramafever. I started watching several well received drama including My Love From Anther Planet and I Can Hear Your Voice and then I discovered Master's Sun. I honestly don't know how I ended up watching this drama like ten times or so in the past two months and I don't get bored at all. The conversations, particularly between JJW and TGS, are so entertaining in many ways. I can't believe how hard I've fallen for this couple. Now I'm trying to ease myself off this drama by watching American shows instead because just hearing the Korean language makes me only want to watch Master's Sun. I think I need rehab from Master's Sun.

@mabelialongThank you so much for sharing Joogoon's ad-libs... truly a joy to watch and brings back so many happy memories... both of the drama as well as the BTSes. Can we start petitioning for TMS season 2 now?

liddi said: @mabelialongThank you so much for sharing Joogoon's ad-libs... truly a joy to watch and brings back so many happy memories... both of the drama as well as the BTSes. Can we start petitioning for TMS season 2 now?

Guest kyung-jin

The 6 most adorable K-drama kids

by KD Bonbon on Wed, Apr 22, 2015

Little kids are always cute. The uber-popular variety show The Return of Superman is basically an ode to how fantastically adorable little kids are! And there are plenty of other dramas that feature young characters that bring a bit of youth and lightness to your favorite shows.

Below are 6 super adorable kids from some of your favorite dramas! Scroll through to see if your favorite made the list!

3. Lee Seung Mo and Lee Seung Joon (Neighbor Boys) - The Master’s Sun

The_Masters_Sun.jpgThe_Masters_Sun_2.jpg

These two cute boys, known mostly as "big brother" and "little brother" throughout the show, are the perfect little neighbor friends for Gong Shil in The Master's Sun. You know they are always right around the corner spying on everyone in the building because they are so curious about what is going on. They also do a great job of looking out for Gong Shil. They even catch Kang Woo suspiciously snooping around Gong Shil’s apartment once when she wasn’t there and give him the stink eye. However, like most little kids would be, they are bribed with ice cream to not say anything to Gong Shil and instead tell her that ajusshi is a nice guy and that she should date him. How cute!

Source: http://www.dramafever.com/news/the-6-most-adorable-k-drama-kids/

Thanks for sharing the section on the two neighbourhood boys @kyung-jin. One of my favourite scenes would be when they were bribed by JJW to read TGS' SMSes... milking the man for as many name cards as they can, and shocking him with the (deliberate?) mis-read of the message while retaining their deadpan expressions. Incredible kids! They definitely gave JJW a run for his money :-bd

Archived