Pacific US & Canada: Sat 9pm
Eastern US & Canada: Sun 12am
Indonesia and Thailand: Sat 11am
Malaysia & Philippines: Sat 12pm
France: Sun 6am
Finland & Riyadh: Sun 7am
Sydney: Sun 2pm
India: Sun, 9:30 am.

@payel , @Krrypton, and @arch00  Hope you can make it to give us your views ;;)

Guest Krrypton

Krrypton said:

yeah this thread is fab!! Thanks @dr25

Shukria yaar :x By the way "Utamam dhatdhadat padam"  =)) I prefer @payel 's insightful quotes instead =))

For everyone, "Utamam dhatdhadat padam" is from Sanskrit, feel free to correct me, one of the characters in the movie named Rancho uses it for comical effect. See the vid with Silencer speech above, he uses this sentence to describe Silencer's ..... :)) Visit this link.

Shukria yaar=thanks my friend

haha i know rancho says in the movie, 'ab yeh apne paadne ki taakat ko sanskrit me batayega' -- that is , ' now he'll explain his ability to fart in sanskrit.'

haha.. Wondering who wrote that speech in real..

Hello everyone :-h I am finally able to stop by and join the chats in this thread. I am also hosting the movie night with @dr25 alongside @tigereyespeppy :D 
Welcome @krrypton @payel and @arch00 :-h Please come and join us on this movie night. We will be looking forward to everyone's presence :D
@arch00: I have seen you at our other movie nights too :-h Hello! I don't think we have met properly yet :D
I will be looking for more info on this movie and posting it on here. I haven't seen it yet so this will be my first time :D

Guest arch00

vangsweetie637

said:

@arch00: I have seen you at our other movie nights too :-h Hello! I don't think we have met properly yet

:D

I will be looking for more info on this movie and posting it on here. I haven't seen it yet so this will be my first time

:D

Guest Krrypton

Hello everyone :-h I am finally able to stop by and join the chats in this thread. I am also hosting the movie night with @dr25 alongside @tigereyespeppy :D 

Welcome @krrypton @payel and @arch00 :-h Please come and join us on this movie night. We will be looking forward to everyone's presence :D

@arch00: I have seen you at our other movie nights too :-h Hello! I don't think we have met properly yet :D

I will be looking for more info on this movie and posting it on here. I haven't seen it yet so this will be my first time :D

when's the movie night?

Guest tigereyespeppy

@vangsweetie637  @dr25

Tiger reporting for duty! :D
Haven't seen it yet, but I've seen a few of the BTS videos. This looks like a great movie! :D

The Facebook page for the movie:
https://www.facebook.com/3idiotsthefilm

Guest tigereyespeppy

id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading" lang="en"3 Idiots From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article is about the Indian film. For the Pakistani TV show, see 3 Idiots (TV series).

3 Idiots
Threeidiots2.jpg
Theatrical release poster
Directed by Rajkumar Hirani
Produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra
Screenplay by Abhijat Joshi
Rajkumar Hirani
Vidhu Vinod Chopra
Story by Abhijat Joshi
Rajkumar Hirani
Based on Five Point Someone – What not to do at IIT! 
by Chetan Bhagat
Narrated by R. Madhavan
Starring Aamir Khan
Kareena Kapoor
R. Madhavan
Sharman Joshi
Boman Irani
Omi Vaidya
Mona Singh
Parikshit Sahni
Music by Shantanu Moitra
Cinematography C. K. Muraleedharan
Editing by Ranjeet Bahadur
Rajkumar Hirani
Distributed by Vinod Chopra Productions
Release date(s)
  • 25 December 2009
Running time 171 minutes[1]
Country India
Language
  • Hindi
  • English Budget INR35 crore (US$6.4 million)[2] Box office INR385 crore (US$70 million)[3]3 Idiots is a 2009 Indian comedy-drama film directed by Rajkumar Hirani, with a screenplay by Abhijat Joshi, and produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra. It was loosely adapted from the novel Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat. 3 Idiots stars Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi, Omi Vaidya, Parikshit Sahni and Boman Irani. Upon release, the film broke all opening box office records in India. It was the highest-grossing film in its opening weekend in India and had the highest opening day collections for a Bollywood film. It also had the record for highest net collections in the first week for a Bollywood film. Within 10 days of its release, the film crossed the INR100 crore (US$18 million) mark in India and became the first film of 2009 to do so. The film also created a new box office record for a release in the last quarter of a year (October to December), breaking the previous record set by Ghajini. It is also the highest-grossing film to be released in the second half of the year (July to December), breaking the previous record also held by Ghajini. 3 Idiots has become the highest-grossing Bollywood film of all time in India,[4] breaking the previous record set by Ghajini which also starred Aamir Khan. It also became one of the few Indian films to become a major success in East Asian markets such as China,[5] eventually bringing its overseas total to US$25 million—the highest-grossing Bollywood film of all time in overseas markets.[6][7] It was expected to be the first Indian film to be officially released on YouTube, within 12 weeks of releasing in theatres on 25 March 2010, but finally got officially released on YouTube in May 2012.[8] The film also went on to win many awards, winning six Filmfare Awards including best film and best director, ten Star Screen Awards and sixteen IIFA awards. The film also uses real inventions by little-known people in India's backyards. The brains behind the innovations were Remya Jose, a student from Kerala, who created the exercise-bicycle/washing-machine; Mohammad Idris, a barber from Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh, who invented a bicycle-powered horse clipper; and Jahangir Painter, a painter from Maharashtra, who made the scooter-powered flour mill.[9] This film was remade in Tamil as Nanban (2012) which also received critical praise and commercial success.[10][11] It has also been announced that there will be a Chinese remake of the film produced by Stephen Chow and that there are plans for a Hollywood remake produced in the United States.[12]

Guest tigereyespeppy

Production

The shoot of the film with the supporting characters began on 28 July 2008. Hirani and his team left in late August for the shoot with the principal cast. The film was shot in Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Ladakh, Chail and Shimla.[13] Aamir and rest of the cast began shooting in early September. Hirani planned to wrap up the film by December.[14] The first scene was shot in an aircraft with Madhavan. From Mumbai, the crew and cast comprising Aamir and Kareena went to Ladakh for a 20-day schedule.[15] The shooting also took place at the Indian Institute of Management – Bangalore for 33 days as a part of the second schedule of production.[16]

Critical reception

Unlike the original novel, 3 Idiots received highly positive reviews upon its release. Subhash K. Jha (film critic and author of The Essential Guide to Bollywood) states: "It's not that 3 Idiots is a flawless work of art. But it is a vital, inspiring and life-revising work of contemporary art with some heart imbued into every part. In a country where students are driven to suicide by their impossible curriculum, 3 Idiots provides hope. Maybe cinema can't save lives. But cinema, sure as hell, can make you feel life is worth living. 3 Idiots does just that, and much more. The director takes the definition of entertainment into directions of social comment without assuming that he knows best."[40]Nikhat Kazmi of the Times of India gave it four and a half stars and suggests that, "The film is a laugh riot, despite being high on fundas [...] Hirani carries forward his simplistic `humanism alone works' philosophy of the Lage Raho Munna Bhai series in 3 Idiots too, making it a warm and vivacious signature tune to 2009. The second half of the film does falter in parts, specially the child birth sequence, but it doesn't take long for the film to jump back on track."[41] Mayank Shekhar of the Hindustan Times gave the film three and a half out of five stars and comments that "this is the sort of movie you’ll take home with a smile and a song on your lips."[42]Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave 3 Idiots four and a half out of five stars and states: "On the whole, 3 Idiots easily ranks amongst Aamir, Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra's finest films. Do yourself and your family a favour: Watch 3 Idiots. It's emotional, it's entertaining, it's enlightening. The film has tremendous youth appeal and feel-good factor to work in a big way." [43] Kaveree Bamzai of India Today gave 3 Idiots five stars and argues that "it's a lovely story, of a man from nowhere who wanted to learn, told like a fairy tale, with the secret heart carrying its coded message of setting all of us free."[44]

Other critics gave the film a mixed review. Sonia Chopra of Sify gave the film 3 stars and said "Though a bit too calculated and designed, 3 Idiots is still an ok option for the significant message, interesting cast and scattered breezy moments."[45]Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave the film three out of five stars and states: "Going home after watching 3 Idiots I felt like I'd just been to my favorite restaurant only to be a tad under-whelmed by their signature dish. It was a satisfying meal, don't get me wrong, but not the best meal I'd been expecting." [46] Shubhra Gupta from The Indian Express also gave it 3 stars, stating "‘3 Idiots’ does not do as much for me. The emotional truth that shone through both the ‘Munnabhai’ movies doesn’t come through strongly enough."[47] Raja Sen of Rediff gave the film two out of five stars and states: "Rajkumar Hirani's one of the directors of the decade, a man with immense talent and a knack for storytelling. On his debut, he hit a hundred. With his second, he hit a triple century. This time, he fishes outside the offstump, tries to play shots borrowed from other batters, and hits and misses to provide a patchy, 32*-type innings. It's okay, boss, *chalta hai*. Even Sachin has an off day, and we still have great hope."[48]

The film has also been highly acclaimed overseas. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 100% "fresh" critics' rating based on five reviews as well as an audience rating of 92% based on nearly 20,000 votes. Derek Elley of Variety wrote that "3 Idiots takes a while to lay out its game plan but pays off emotionally in its second half." Robert Abele of Los Angeles Times wrote that there's an "unavoidable joie de vivre (symbolized by Rancho's meditative mantra "All is well") and a performance charm that make this one of the more naturally gregarious Bollywood imports." Louis Proyect described it as a "fabulous achievement across the board. A typical Bollywood confection but also social commentary on a dysfunctional engineering school system that pressures huge numbers of students into suicide."[49] The Korean site Naver gave the film a review rating of 9.4 out of 10.[50] On the Chinese site Douban, 3 Idiots currently holds an average audience rating of 9.1 out of 10 based on nearly 250,000 votes.[51]

Soundtrack

The film's soundtrack is composed by Shantanu Moitra with lyrics penned by Swanand Kirkire.

3 Idiots
220px-3_Idiots_album.jpeg
Soundtrack album by Shantanu Moitra
Genre Feature film soundtrack
Label T-Series
Producer Shantanu Moitra
Professional ratings
Review scores
Source Rating
Bollywood Hungama 3.5/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[52]
Behindwoods 3.5/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[53]
Rediff 3/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[54]
Planet Bollywood 7/10 stars7px-Star_full.svg.png7px-Star_full.svg.png7px-Star_full.svg.png7px-Star_full.svg.png7px-Star_full.svg.png7px-Star_full.svg.png7px-Star_empty.svg.png7px-Star_empty.svg.png7px-Star_empty.svg.png[55]
Track# Song Singer(s) Duration
1 "Aal Izz Well" Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Swanand Kirkire 4:36
2 "Zoobi Doobi" Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal 4:08
3 "Behti Hawa Sa Tha Woh" Shaan, Shantanu Moitra 5:01
4 "Give Me Some Sunshine" Suraj Jagan, Sharman Joshi 4:07
5 "Jaane Nahin Denge Tujhe" Sonu Nigam 3:32
6 "Aal Izz Well (Remix)" Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Swanand Kirkire 4:41
7 "Zoobi Doobi (Remix)" Sonu Nigam, Jaive Samson, Shreya Ghoshal 3:29

Guest tigereyespeppy

3+ediots+poster.jpg

Remakes

See also: Nanban (film)

This film was remade as a South Indian Tamil film entitled Nanban, in January 2012.[10][11][66]

Following the success of 3 Idiots in East Asian markets such as China and Hong Kong, the producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra has announced that Hong Kong film star Stephen Chow (known for comedy films such as Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle) will be producing a Chinese remake of the film. Chopra also announced that there are plans for a Hollywood remake, and is in talks with three different American studios interested in remaking the film. Chopra also stated that there is an Italian film studio also interested in remaking the film.[12]

Guest Krrypton

@arch100: Yes, let us meet properly :D 

And I see you are a Joo Won fan? :D I loved him in Bridal Mask :D

@krrypton: Hello :-h the movie night will be on april 27, 9 pm Pacific time. :D Where are you from?

US..

Guest Krrypton

@arch100: Yes, let us meet properly :D 

And I see you are a Joo Won fan? :D I loved him in Bridal Mask :D

@krrypton: Hello :-h the movie night will be on april 27, 9 pm Pacific time. :D Where are you from?

isnt this image a scene from tangled!?

Guest tigereyespeppy

class="header"zz948_3_ediots_still_pictures_01.jpg class="header"Trivia Known for preparing for every role that he signs, actor Aamir Khan was avoiding eating his own birthday cake. When asked why, he said "I am surviving on milk and few bananas as I have been asked to lose weight for the role."

Aamir Khan's character Rancho says in the movie that people study engineering, then management, and then become bankers, so what is the whole point of studying engineering. This is exactly what Chetan Bhagat (the author of 'Five point someone', the book from which the movie has been adapted) did. He studied engineering from IIT, management from IIM, and became a banker.

The campus shown in the movie is that of 'Indian Institute of Management' - Bangalore

Producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra has claimed that 3 Idiots will be legally released on YouTube within 12 weeks of releasing in theaters - a first in the history of Indian cinema.

The SUV used throughout the movie is a 2010 model Volvo XC-90 R-Design.

The College and the hostel scenes were filmed at Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, although the fictional "Imperical College of Engineering" depicted in the movie is situated in the city of Delhi. The ragging scenes were shot in the girl's dormitory and the resident girls saw the whole scene (not shown). The actors admitted feeling uncomfortable while getting undressed to their underwear in front of them and getting their buttocks stamped.

Kareena Kapoor always wanted to work with Rajkumar Hirani. So she herself approached him for the role of Pia.

Shah Rukh Khan was offered the role of Rancho, he declined owing to lack of filming dates.

While shooting the drunk scene, Aamir suggested that they get really drunk and that happened on the shoot which resulted in numerous retakes and the stock of camera roll got over and the unit had to go to another shoot in Bangalore (where the film was shot) to get roll.

Guest Krrypton

@tigereyespeppy: I can't see your poster' date=' dear :D I think it's going to be a great movie. I watched the beginning. I love it already :D[/quote']

hey i saw the movie. And i bet that you'll like it 100%.

hey have anyone of you read chatan bhagat's books? I heard they're very good though i've not read em.

Unfortunately no, the only Indian writer I read for is Muhammad Iqbal and he was born in what's known today as Pakistan.

But good that you mentioned it. Here're the info on the writer of the book that inspired uri film.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetan_Bhagat

Guest Krrypton

Unfortunately no, the only Indian writer I read for is Muhammad Iqbal and he was born in what's known today as Pakistan.

But good that you mentioned it. Here're the info on the writer of the book that inspired uri film.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetan_Bhagat

Archived