SM Entertainment

Guest ginaaax3

Guest babiesy

^ you can do that but its recommended that you email your application so you wont have to wait for hours. cus there will be a lot of people there

if you apply by email, when you get there you already have a number assigned

if not, you have to wait

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest .melee.

i'm sry i'm just full of tons of questions.

so then it should be fine to wear jeans and a polo? or something along those lines?

and for modelling.

would i stand any less of a chance if i have glasses on?

or should i get a pair of those 1 day contacts.

xD the pic i sent them was me w/out glasses =X

and i'm so relieved that there's no height limit xD

i'm only like 5'1.5"-5'2.5" xD

also. if u're auditioning for more than one thing.

is it different judges who judge different things?

so once u're done w/ one u gotta go to the other?

xD sry just wanted to plop this here since i i didn't get a reply for it xD

-edit-

ack we're suposed to mention that? xD i thought it was already taken for granted xD

where does it say that we were supposed to mention that? xD

(wondering how blindi really am xD)

Guest babiesy

well the email is applying for the audition..

so why wouldnt you show up at the audition O.o

im sorta confused.. maybe im misunderstanding your question?

Guest anneyen

Wow ... so many people going for the SM Audition in US.

Hi! Im from Malaysia i attented the SM Audition held in Malaysia ... there were only about 200 people who showed up on that day coz not many people knew about the audition ... however there were also people all the way from singapore who came to audition.

Generally, the Audition Process in Malaysia was like this:

1) Send an application for the audition via email - include your profile, photos, song, lyrics, etc. SM will reply your email and say that your audition has been approved.

2) Show up on the day of audition. They will give you 2 copies of a similar form to fill up - information needed includes your name in chinese, hanyupinyin of your name, address, telephone number, email, language (circle the language you speak: Korean, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, English, Bahasa Melayu) and experience. A photo supposed to be attached to the document but nobody submitted any photos anyway.

3) You can audition for as many categories as you wish. I auditioned for both Singing and Acting.

4)People who registered online will be given priority and will audition first. Walk-in contestants will have to wait longer.

5) You will have to wait at a wating area until it is your turn. Then contestants queued and entered the room 10 by 10 or 20 by 20.

6) There are 4 judges - 2 guys and 2 ladies. One of the guy is in charge of evaluating the singing. 10 contestants have to line up in a line across the room in front of the judges. Each contestant must introduce their name, age and number.

7) The entire auditon is recorded using one viewcam.

8) Each contestant had to introduce themselves and sing. Each person takes their turn one after another. People who wish to model will have to walk and make 3 post (holding each post for 10 seconds). People who wish to act must step forward closer to the camera and perform their memorized or in-promptu script.

9) After everyone has finish singing, people who wish to dance will then perform with the song from their own cd or SM cd.

10) After that, they will play a music and everyone had to free-style dance to the tune. (I guess this is what some people call the rhythm test) - the song that they played i think was a song from Shakira if ive not mistaken.

11) The audition is then over and they thank everyone for participating. The judges were very very polite and friendly.

12) They will reply in 3 weeks if you are chosen to enter SM ... if not, just wait with dissapointment.

Other Things That Happened During The Malaysia Audition

1) I think SM is probably doing a market survey while they conduct the audition. Many people sang Japanese songs in the Malaysian audition ... they then ask whether Japanese songs are very popular in Malaysia and what about Korean songs.

2) If you are attached to a music, dancing or acting school, they will ask you for the name of the school. If you are very good at dancing, they would ask where you learned it, some people learned dancing by themeselves and can dance really well too.

3) If you are Chinese and able to speak Mandarin, they would prefer if you speak Mandarin rather than English. However there was a little bit of confusion that day coz in Malaysia, Mandarin is called "Hua Yu" but they called it "Zhong Guo Yu". However, "Zhong Guo Yu" didnt seem to have made anyone understand what language should be used and they then said "Han Yu" - this made things even more confusing "Han Yu (Chinese Language)" and "Han Yu (Korean Language)" sounded almost the same.

4) It will be better if you could introduced yourself in Korean. I introduced myself in Korean and they had a good impression and smiled - but everything ended up in a mess when i got nervous and ruined my audition with terrible singing and acting, couldnt reach the high notes :P.

5) When singing, make sure it is loud and clear. Many people sing but it could only be heard one foot away. The guy who was evaluating the singing asked everyone in the hall to sing from the diaphragm, he said "How could you sing in front of millions of people with such a soft voice?"

6) Keep silent while other people are auditioning or else you would get some lecturing.

7) It is best if you could dance during the auditon. They are very impress with dancers.

8) They are truly looking for innocent and naive looks - more soft spots for such looks ... it is even better if your age is not more than 20 though.

9) You can sing in any language. If you can't sing Korean that well, don't sing it. A lot of emphasize is given to diction ... one non Korean girl sang a phrase with "Saranghaeyo .... " but did not have enough of feelings, emotions and emphasis ... they then thought her how to sing the phrase again.

10) Out of the 4 judges, 1 guy and 1 lady speaks fluent Mandarin and all of them speaks English and Korean of course.

11) People who attended the audition are given a very nice small SM Booklet that has cd images, pictures and profile of almost all the SM artistes. Of course, it contains information about SM too.

12) At the place of audition, anyone who wish to join SM artistes international fanclub can register for a fee (rather expensive for Malaysians though ... ) However, you can get lots of benefits joining the fanclub. I think most of the people who attended the audition did go to the TVXQ concert on the night before.

13) If you have free time and many friends, you may take some picture next to the SM Audition 06 posters for remembrance.

14) While waiting in the room, you can enjoy music video clips of TVXQ, Super Junior, Kangta & Vaness, Boa etc.

15) There wil be a board that writes the rules of the audition.

Although i clearly know that i will not be chosen and i am not being chosen, it was a really good experience. This is the first time i entered an audition which is so complete in every aspect.

Good Luck to every one who is going to join the audition. All The Best!!! :)

Guest w1f3_0f_x14h_junsu

^THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO FREAKIN MUCH!! YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! I <3333333333333 YOU!!! :wub: YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THANKFUL I AM RIGHT NOW!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :D

Guest anneyen

These are some questions that w1f3_0f_x14h_junsu asked me in a PM. I think these may be some of the things that most people would like to know coz my buddy w1f3_0f_x14h_junsu seems to be one of the champion who post the most in the SM Auditon threads ;)

Is it true that they dun like it when ppl use hand motions when singing?

Well, this is not true. Each person has there own ways of gestures and they are more concerned with the overall package. If you look good doing the hand motion, then its ok. In fact even Xiah (Jun Su) from TVXQ moves his hand and body alot when he sings, isn't it?

Do any of the judges know cantonese?

I don't think the judges know Cantonese ... but they speak excellent Mandarin, very formal and literate type ... for example, at the end of the auditon session one of the lady judge said "Da Jia Xing Ku Le" (everyone has worked hard) in very precise and accurate intonation ... so if anyone wish to speak Mandarin, please speak it correctly.

Do you have to sing to the camera or the judges?

There are actually 6 SM personnel in the room. The 4 judges (2 guys & 2 ladies), another lady who holds the viewcam and another guy who plays the music and runs errands. When you sing, just face the front and show eye contact with the judges ... the lady who holds the camera will adjust the viewcam to your angle. For modelling, they will also move the camera to take your post. As for acting, you have to look into the camera. On the other hand, for dancing, they will put the camera on a tripod and you can dance in the space in front of the judges.

Do they ask you questions...like why do you want to be a singer? and stuff like that?

Nope, they don't ask questions like this. They are very professional and are interested only in your talent. They expect only the best quality performance and are not interested in other personnal matters.

Did any of them laugh during the freestyle portion of the auditions???

Certainly NO!!! As i mentioned earlier, they are very professional. In fact they are very serious and don't tolerate any nonsence. The freestyle dancing section is most probably conducted to see the contestants potential in dancing and not for fun or comedy entertainment.

Additional Q&A

Will they use the lousy audition clips for commercial purposes like American Idol - William Hung???

Certainly NO!!! One girl contestants asked the audition SM personnel whether it will be shown on TV or anywhere to show how lousy the performance was. The SM lady said said certainly NO, they are conducting this program for the pure purpose of searching for talents and not for any commercial purposes.

Will they condemn and criticize your performance???

Certainly NO!!! They are interested only in searching for talents and no intention to discreminate or criticize.

Guest ginaaax3

=D are you serious? ^

can we stay in that agency and not go to korea?

or like go on summer holidays?

You have to go to Korea, how else are you going to improve?

im 5'5 and im 15 is that too short??/

and what kind of poses do they want you to do?? should i practice posing??

and if you do make it... will they wait for you to finnish high school @ least before going to korea??

& if you make the cut do they pay for youre ticket to cali for finals?? cause i live in ATL and the finals arent held here....

bo banna

You're not to short, and you should practice posing. They don't wait until you finish HS, then it'll be to late. And yes they pay for the ticket.

any pose

no because you probably might end up being an actor/actress or singer also. boa is short and she still models clothes and all that. go ara auditioned with a dance and sungmin sung, danced, AND posed. you can also see dbsk modeling and making cfs for different brands and everything also. <--- confusing but you get the point

HEIGHT DOES MATTER. Models have to be somewhat tall, and look goo in clothles. BoA is a singer, and she just models. She wasn't orginally a model, she was a singer, then some people just put her in magainzes. SO YES height matters GREATLY. GO Ara auditioned as a model, with a dance. Go Ara is 169, so yes, it matters.

do you guys know how many cameras there will be for modeling?? if i pose ill be confused which one to look at and is there Q&A for modelling???

bo banna

Not sure. hahah sorry

If you're auditioning for singing, but you don't get chosen for the ? catergory. Is there a chance that they like you, but find you suitable for another thing. >.< I hope that even made sense.

If you have talent dear.

i'm sry i'm just full of tons of questions.

so then it should be fine to wear jeans and a polo? or something along those lines?

and for modelling.

and i'm so relieved that there's no height limit xD

i'm only like 5'1.5"-5'2.5" xD

also. if u're auditioning for more than one thing.

is it different judges who judge different things?

so once u're done w/ one u gotta go to the other?

Height does matter, you should be taller than 166 which is about 5"5, unless your young and still growing.

Guest anneyen

These are questions asked by DennisChen in a PM. I'll answer the questions here:

For the dancers who bring their own cd, do they dance on a stage or on a wooden/carpet floor in front of the stages?

The Malaysia auditon was held at a hotel, SM rented a hall about 80m x 80m wide for the auditon and another hall for contestants to wait. I guess whether or not you would be dancing on a stage or carpet floor will depend on the facilities available. For the Malaysia audition, dancers performed on a carpet floor in front of the judges. You can either bring your own cd or use the SM cds.

Is there a lot of enough room to dance?

In the Malaysia audition, there are about 60m x 60m room space for you dance.

For singing, did they ask many people to change their song?

They did not ask anyone to change their song. You can sing anything you like but they may request you to sing an additional song with higher pitch or some Chinese or Korean songs. They seem to emphasize more on singing Chinese songs and speaking in Chinese (Mandarin).

Also, do they perfer a high-tempo (upbeat) song or is a slow song okay?

They like slow songs but it must be very touching. Upbeat songs also attracted them but your voice must be very powerful and energetic. Either type of song is suitable but i think they prefer songs with high notes.

Also about approximatley how much time was given for each category for each person (example: dance-50 sec, sing-40 sec, etc.)?

They gave approximately 3 minutes for each contestents. Singing about 1-2 minutes, Acting about 3-5 minutes and dancing one whole song, about 4-5 minutes.

If they asked questions, what kind of questions did they ask?

They don't ask much questions. They are very serious and will only ask about related matters. They may ask about your music, dancing or acting school, ask about who recommended you to join the audition (only for the recommended people), whether you can speak Chinese or Korean etc. They did not ask anything about "Why do you want to be a singer?", "Why do you think you can be a singer?" and things like that.

Guest crazii_<33_yu

i have no idea if this has been asked or answered before..if someone like me wants try out for modeling too...but im like 5'3-5'4 and is 14 years old..will they accept you? you can still grow right?(:

Guest .melee.

xD thanx for clearing that all up guys

xD now i definetly should learn mando xD

also can someone plz answer this question?

also...

4) It will be better if you could introduced yourself in Korean. I introduced myself in Korean and they had a good impression and smiled -

just how did you introduce yourself? just your name and #?

and just how would you say that in krn?

since you all say that they seem to be looking at speaking Chinese, would you recommend saying it in Chinese or Krn?

(i'm Chinese btw but have no idea how to speak ><)

xD i can introduce myself in japanese! ^^ '''

and... how would you say it in Krn & Chinese?

Guest xnjcx2008

Those have got to be the most helpful answers I've found all week. XDD Thank you so much!

Another question though; how much of a song should we sing? whole song, half a song, or just one part?