Guest yeohweping

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jjsweeter0211

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Shark": Episode 1

2013/05/27 | 

photo313836.jpg

In the very first scene of this drama, lead character Han I-Soo (played by Kim Nam-gil) expresses his personal sentiments about sharks. There's an ominous air about his description- certainly, "Shark" attempts to open up to its audience by establishing that unpleasant people will do unpleasant things, and there will be reaction to that. But who, exactly, Han I-Soo is and how he came to form these opinions about sharks turns out to be a lot less direct than that.

Apparopriately, most of the focus is on the environment, or more specifically, the background of the series. The bulk of the first episode's running time takes place twelve years prior to the start of the series, as Han I-Soo adjusts to a new school. What's surprising about these scenes, especially looking back, is how little actual adjusting he really does. I-Soo seems to know exactly where he is, and exactly what he needs to do to keep moving.

This is also reflected well in the present day scenes we have. Though it seems like there's every possible reason for I-Soo to stick out in his environment, he adjusts quickly, subtly, and with surprisingly little trace. Throughout the episode we get a very good feel for the way he operates. Subtle, but only until the moment when deliberate decisive action is necessary. Even as a teenager I-Soo isn't terribly naive- but as a teenager he's not automatically smart enough to know the best possible course of action at all times.

The ambience for the episode is well set- most of the soundtrack consists of classical instrumentation, and this is a good reflection of the kind of wealthy, high-class world the characters are exposed to. Jo Hae-Woo (played by Son Ye-jin) is an especially strange contrast. While she's the most well-defined and outwardly self-possessed character, the glimpses we get into her home life indicate someone whose "best" character traits are defined by the worst influences.

Even though most of the episode is flashback, emphasis is on characterization and very few definite events actually happen. It's still not clear yet what the main motivation for the present-day characters is going to be, or how much time is going to be spent on the flashback phase of the story. Still, if the preview is any indication, the next episode will feature plenty of more action-based hooks. I am, so far at least, curious how this will turn out.

Review by William Schwartz

"Shark" is directed by Park Chan-hong, written by Kim Jee-woo and features Kim Nam-gilSon Ye-jin,Ha Seok-jin and Lee Honey.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-shark-episode-1-56486.html

class="entry-title" style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-family: BevanRegular, Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 22px; line-height: 1.3em; margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(4, 100, 141); text-shadow: white 1px 1px 0px; clear: both; orphans: 2; widows: 2;"BoA – Between Heaven And Hell (천국과 지옥 사이) Shark OST

I'd rather hate you.

The more I hold you, the more I hurts.

Even though I would forget everything in the next morning

and try to find you again.

I would rather put off this love which became useless.

Because the time would flow on us again anyway.

I am sorry because I am still thinking of you,

because I love you.

Because I won't be able to let you go at the end.

"Let's just one more day ", that lie again.

Once I see you again, I would forget everything else but to love you, smiling again.

" Let's forget even if it's just one day ", another empty promise.

Even if I am in pain when I can't see you,

I keep promising to myself, crying.

Between Heaven and Hell, I keep coming and going because of you.

Translation from  The Jawsome Team@ viki.com

It's actually from the one of the subbers who subbed the songs from the Reply Me 1997 viki subs. I guess subbing a song is an art between a literal translation but trying to convey the meaning properly.

Gee whiz that is a sad song. Like the lyrics are really sad aren't they?

Guest jaewon fan

i just finish watching ep.1 and im already have this kind of feeling that it will have a dark path ahead. She is already married and he was out for revenge..

Guest snowflakesj16

I've just finished watching the first episode, as in Hancinema's review, the pilot episode is more on establishing the characters and the plot, I just hope it won't get draggy. Hoping we'll get some direction by the second/third episode. 

Guest hstar16

Son ye jin and KNG didn't appear in Ep 2 :((, but i'll still watch this ep to see all about the story, and wait for the ep Son appear more <3, and hope the rating'll be higher

Guest NEWMARIO

Nationwide/Seoul@20130528

AGB

MBC : Gu Family Book:
EP16: 18.2%(+1.8) / 21.7%(+2.4)

KBS : Shark:
EP02:  6.7%(-1.5) /  7.2%(-1.5)

SBS : Jang Ok Jung:  
EP16: 10.5%(-0.6) / 10.0%(-0.8)

CR: AGB Nielsen Korea

Good day All,

Just watched episode  1 on dramafever.  It catch my attention  and I will watch the next 3 episode to see if I should continue or not. I like watching revenge drama if done correctly. Let's see what happens with this one.

Guest NEWMARIO

Nationwide/Seoul@20130528

TNmS

MBC : Gu Family Book:
EP16: 16.6%(+1.3) / 20.1%(+1.8)

KBS : Shark:
EP02: ----%(----) / ----%(----)

SBS : Jang Ok Jung:  
EP16: 11.3%(-0.3) / 13.0%(-0.2)

CR:TNmS Media Korea

Archived