[Drama 2013] Nine: Nine Times Time Travel 나인: 아홉 번의 시간여행

cikamoi

Guest ziimblu

NINE is a TEN!
^:)^For the longest time, I've wanted to rewatch it, celebrate such a masterpiece of a drama again, its script, its surprises, its favors, its merits, its music, its dynamism, its being so much a cut above the rest! 
And well, you know,  fall in love with PSW  again,  fall twice more in love with LJW  again.
And be wholeheartedly  into it, all phone calls on hold,  all wiFi cut, all of reality suspended mid-air and really just hibernate with NINE, for ninety-nine and one reasons. 
 "When" is the better question! 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@liddi WOW, onnie that's kinda long comment, kind of rare from you! :D

well, I am kinda get why SW fallen for MY, guess that MY's frankness and cheerful personality got him, just like what they showed in ep 20 but then also like you, I dont find the romance between OTP interesting enough for me to root for them. the bromance is just really great, one of most endearing bromance for me, that I even wanted to have best friend like him too! :D

@readleadTrue... a little long for someone who is known to be succinct... NOT! :))It's interesting that MY, at her core, does not change no matter which timeline she is in, nor her changed circumstances... so she remains a constant, just as much as YH, who is unfailingly supportive and loyal whatever the situation. SW's own change is also minimal... because the resourceful, brave man was always there, except the circumstances and the future shaped had changed because of older SW's hand in the past. I think the one who truly sees the greatest transformation is JW, from weak and guilt-ridden, to facing his own demons and taking responsibility for his own actions, essentially a man at peace with himself. And his redemption, is possibly, the ultimate higher purpose of older SW's endeavors and sacrifice, deliberate or otherwise.

Guest tomoyo1010

oh @liddi...you're everywhere around soompi nowadays.lol...a very nice comment on Nine. I'm not good with words so I can't write that long or review a drama but one thing I can say for sure, Nine is worth watching. One of the best time-travel drama I've ever watched. One I would recommend to my friends. Though, until now the last few episodes still confused me sometimes which made me rewatching all the scenes to recall about the story. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

@liddi - i really love your pist. Thank you !!! I am glad many more people including the gogongers are discovering Nine. I had Nine hangover for a long time n have rewatched it many times. It still touches me in different ways and each time i watch it for different perspective. Truly i hv not really watched and lasted any kdrama after nine ... Not sure why. And lee jin wook is truly unforgettable in his role as he and sun woo became one...

Guest TerezaT

Hi buddies. I 've started watching Nine from yesterday and gone thru 10 episodes. AWESOME. LJK acted it beautifully and the script was just briliant.But ... , I recently found the female lead somehow annoying. Hm, still stand her, wish she won't talk that much in the next 10 episodes.
Still haven't seen 49 days. Maybe next time.

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered Soompi this year, and have just finished reading the whole thread for Nine. I had not heard about it before it was on the air. I watched it last year after it finished airing, because so many blogs started talking about it suddenly. What a wonderful show it was! The most fun part was reading everyone's explanation of the time travels and what in the world was going on at the end. The explanation @liddi just gave that it was metaphorical is accurate, although I think it was literal as well. Sun woo certainly did save his brother. Both in getting him to straighten out his life and in rescuing him on the mountain. If it was only metaphorical he would look the way he did all through the drama and not have a beard. Since he does, that supports the idea that his brother was found dead with an incense stick and Sunwoo waited 20 years to come back with it and get his brother before it was too late. The trouble with that is we have already shown that you cannot use the same incense stick twice. The bad guy Dr. Choi tried to do it and it disappeared. The incense sticks have all been used up already. Which indicates that Sunwoo heard that his brother was out on the mountain and made it out to rescue him in real time.

I just came across this drama. I went on a 2days marathon. Honestly, at first i watched it because of JYH but i came to love LJW.. fell hard for this pair and the drama is so mesmerising till i cant stop. :).. hope this thread is kept alive ad i believe newer fans will be onboard once they discover this drama ..

Guest hapha8714

ATTENTION!!! jebal! answer my question please!

ive finally finished the series after stopping at EP12. i lost interest and went on hiatus for weeks? the reason? i spoiled myself to exciting twists in the story... and i hate myself that i did it.

prior to watching the entire series, i randomly watched a scene but didnt totally understand it because i was not into NINE before. and that that scene was 2013 sunwoo gets killed in 1993.

i start to sense horror as i reached EP12, and thought sunwoo will die vry soon in episode 13 or 15 perhaps... i lost the thrill. ugh. but fortunately, it didnt happen... and eventually found out that it happened at the end of EP18... so unpredictable! i thought i couldve guessed it, but i was damn wrong.

i cried at the scene where min young recalls her old self in 1993 being told by sunwoo to not get any close to him. so sorry for her... but those tears turned into laughter as the story moves forward. 2007... 2008... till 2012 clips. i was laughing like crazy min young acting stupid at her sunbae. haha! overall, i love the story. and this writer is now in my fave list.

now, here comes the question. and it doesnt make sense to me. at the epilogue (ending scene)... why did jung woo still pursue for the incense, when his life is much better than bfore? the reason why he looked for it is bcause he wants to correct his past... but that was already fixed by 2013 sunwoo! please note that the characters in EP20 are those from the 1993 timeline, and not from 2003. yes, yeong hoon was told by sunwoo in EP20 that min young will be the key to his fate, but i think they've just started to unravel it... and using the info they had frm 1993. ergo, 2013 charactrs are out of the scene already and we hv no idea what clearly happened aftr they realized 2013 sunwoo died in 1993.

and how come this new present junwoo had idea about the incense, when time travelling sunwoo didn't mention it to him in the past?

and where did he know about it in the first place? i didnt quite grasp that at the earlier part of the drama about the incense's origin. yes, it waa in nepal... but how did he got the info?

• 1 month later...

hapha8714 said: ATTENTION!!! jebal! answer my question please! ive finally finished the series after stopping at EP12. i lost interest and went on hiatus for weeks? the reason? i spoiled myself to exciting twists in the story... and i hate myself that i did it. prior to watching the entire series, i randomly watched a scene but didnt totally understand it because i was not into NINE before. and that that scene was 2013 sunwoo gets killed in 1993. i start to sense horror as i reached EP12, and thought sunwoo will die vry soon in episode 13 or 15 perhaps... i lost the thrill. ugh. but fortunately, it didnt happen... and eventually found out that it happened at the end of EP18... so unpredictable! i thought i couldve guessed it, but i was damn wrong. i cried at the scene where min young recalls her old self in 1993 being told by sunwoo to not get any close to him. so sorry for her... but those tears turned into laughter as the story moves forward. 2007... 2008... till 2012 clips. i was laughing like crazy min young acting stupid at her sunbae. haha! overall, i love the story. and this writer is now in my fave list. now, here comes the question. and it doesnt make sense to me. at the epilogue (ending scene)... why did jung woo still pursue for the incense, when his life is much better than bfore? the reason why he looked for it is bcause he wants to correct his past... but that was already fixed by 2013 sunwoo! please note that the characters in EP20 are those from the 1993 timeline, and not from 2003. yes, yeong hoon was told by sunwoo in EP20 that min young will be the key to his fate, but i think they've just started to unravel it... and using the info they had frm 1993. ergo, 2013 charactrs are out of the scene already and we hv no idea what clearly happened aftr they realized 2013 sunwoo died in 1993. and how come this new present junwoo had idea about the incense, when time travelling sunwoo didn't mention it to him in the past? and where did he know about it in the first place? i didnt quite grasp that at the earlier part of the drama about the incense's origin. yes, it waa in nepal... but how did he got the info?

I watched this Kdrama recently as it was aired over my cable TV but I enjoyed reading the comments on this sompi thread and many blogs. It is an interesting drama.

@hapha8714  There are many interpretations of the final scene. New present JW had information about incense as he was the one who sent the 2 incense back to 2013 time-travel-JW.  In the whole show, only one JW time-travelled. The earlier episodes, this JW guessed the time-travel by using the incense his dead brother left behind {when he claimed the remains from the police}. Then from his brother's notes, he went to find the other 9 incense and use the first few innocently trying to fulfil his dead brother's wishes and save their father from death.

(1) One interpretation is that present JW went to Nepal to chase after MY, as he said that he will keep life simple and love the woman he loves. Then, he got news that his brother died on the Himalayas due to trap in snowstorm and when he claim his body, he found the incense. But this happy SW already have no reason to find more incense or to time travel as he was happy {and probably guessed the danger of time travel from 2013-died-in1993-SW}. So he decided to marry MY and keep the incense his dead brother was holding until 2033 then go back to exact date/time/location to save his brother from the snowstorm. This is the most simple and pleasing answer

{although technically SW shouldn't be able to use the incense in 2033 since his old self already used it before; note also rule: incense can only go BACK 20 years and anyone who knows about incense will retain memory but others will not}

(2) Another simpler interpretation is that 2013-died-in-1993 SW said in the phone booth that he is an incense. So in the last scene, he is the soul of the incense the brother was holding in his hand. It was a metaphoric scene and not actually a physical SW there. It is to mean that SW did save his brother {from his mental angish of the troubled past(s), the way it ended in the newest timeline}

Guest hapha8714

@mphan @sunl0ver‌

i love your insights! thinking about the possibilities aches my head. i feel like not wanting to know it anymore. haha!

i've read somewhere about multiple dimensions in regards to time-travel. interesting read.

i could only imagine 2013 lives fcked up so badly after 2013 sunwoo's death in 1993.

awesome, awesome writer.

i love her!

@hapha8714

LOL ! Not to worry... I convinced myself the 2013 people will not suffer forever.

Timeline A  - 2013 SW time travelled 9 times, died in 1993, 2013 MY left alone at wedding & realised SW had died in 1993 when she met him as a little girl ...all suffered.

Latest timeline B (Ep 20) - young SW grew up to 2013, he has no reasons to "save" his brother/father, he makes the decision not to time travel back even if he has incense --> so his actions changed the lives of SW and MY & timeline A disappeared(hurray ! no more sufferings!)

My take on this drama is : Live happily, simply and each day to the fullest so you have no regrets.

In all old timelines, some main facts did not change :
SW died - brain tumour / died in 1993
MY unhappy - no happy days with SW - SW died / or became uncle
Brother died 
--> So this means destiny could not be changed even though SW has the power of knowledge and time travel.

Therefore, in the newest timeline (B),
SW will still die - maybe brain tumour appears but later in life, maybe of accident or of old age (but at least he will not disappear suddenly due to trapped in the past)
MY will have happy days with SW while he is still alive ...(after he went after her in EP 20)
Brother will still die - Himalayas or old age or otherwise but he live as a happy man without guilt from the past
-> Therefore, if even they all still have to face the pain of death eventually in this newest timeline, they have lived life "better" than the original timeline, they are happy and they can let go without regrets.

To me, this is the message of this drama and a closure to the twisted events presented.

• 3 weeks later...

I only started "Nine" last week, and only about seven or eight episodes in, so please begging your indulgence that I haven't yet read the posts in this thread, but would be very pleased to meet you all! :) I'll be very happy to come back to this thread and read more of everyone's point of view. 
I must admit, a little embarrassingly that I wasn't really interested in watching "Nine," though I have heard so many great things about it from a lot of drama viewers and reviewers. Until "Three Musketeers," because it has Lee Jinwook and I guess, more importantly the writer-director team behind it. 
Unlike many series, I cannot watch it straight through. It's a drama that needs to be chewed through and savored. It picks on my brain so much that I have been having dreams about it. 
I have not spoiled myself in the ending, except that I know it's not the usual and open to interpretation. I'm looking forward to the journey I will have with the next half of "Nine."
'Till then. :) 

@hazelnutthursdaysHi! Glad to see that you are watching Nine. It is a particular favourite of mine, one that ranks up there with Tree with Deep Roots in how it made me think and feel... something that is truly rare for me. I always love reading your insights on the Three Musketeers thread, and am absolutely looking forward to you sharing your thoughts about this drama too. 

Archived