[Drama 2013] Thorn Flower / Spine Flower 가시꽃

mistyrain320

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest atomickitty

@kdramafan469
Sorry. I'm watching it on mVibo for now. Like @joyfuls said, they are only up to episode 15. Which is silly. I can find a link without subs for you though. Let me know if you still want it and I'll dig it up. Am up to episode 10 now. Insane. I will have to watch without subs. I'm tempted to focus more on learning Korean just so I can watch daily dramas. If I ever get better at Korean, I am so spending my time subbing the dailies because it's the least subbed genre. AND of course, it's the one I like the best. So cheesy, so soapy.

@kdramafan469 - If you want to watch it raw (up to date), you can watch at:

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://joovideo.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Djoovideo%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D9rr%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=UK9zUZ3WJKbsiAeZn4GQCQ&ved=0CDUQ7gEwAA

If you can read Chinese subtitles:

http://kx.hamiga.com/

Triton823 said: I watched ep 48...can someone who can understand the language what is happening to Su min? It's too early to do the dreaded pending kidney transfer garbarge which is the favorite of korean dramas...afterall everybody gets one these days!? lol

atomickitty said: @kdramafan469
Sorry. I'm watching it on mVibo for now. Like @joyfuls said, they are only up to episode 15. Which is silly. I can find a link without subs for you though. Let me know if you still want it and I'll dig it up. Am up to episode 10 now. Insane. I will have to watch without subs. I'm tempted to focus more on learning Korean just so I can watch daily dramas. If I ever get better at Korean, I am so spending my time subbing the dailies because it's the least subbed genre. AND of course, it's the one I like the best. So cheesy, so soapy.

Guest atomickitty

@ena_teo
I just finished episode 15. I'm getting there. Feels like ep 50 is so far away, but I know I can get there quickly. I want to try and get to episode 27 today so I can find out who dies. I'm glad no one has said it yet. I want to be surprised. I have to many shows to watch today. I also watch on Sunday. A Hundred Year Inheritance (current weekend fav), I Summon You Gold, You're The Best Lee Soon Shin, and today is the last episode of Incarnation of Money. I don't know how I am going to pack them all in. Maybe I will save some for during the week!

She has gastritis. Oh boy. She should take a revenge break. I know a lot of people are saying there won't be a happy ending because this is a serious revenge drama, but I am hoping for one. Then again, there are 35 episodes I haven't seen yet so I don't know what has happened.

Alright, back to watching...

Guest atomickitty

episode 24. Could anyone tell me if JJ (se mi's college bf) knows for a fact that jennifer is se mi. Or is he just guessing.. or is he doing that 'I feel it in my bones' thing, where he doesn't know for a fact, but knows because he loved her so much...

EDIT: episode 41. Wait. does Namjoon have feelings for Jennifer? I don't know how I feel about that. I'm holding on to the magical hope that everything will go smoothly and she will end up back with her boyfriend and child. But I guess that wouldnt work in a pure revenge drama.

So tired. I must take a break. I hope to catch up with everyone by Wednesday..

EDIT AGAIN: episode 50. okay. I couldn't wait so I watched the rest. wowza. I won't even talk about the revenge part yet because I'm sleepy and my brain hurts but looks like, if she doesn't die in the end.. or if he doesn't die in the end, she's going to end up with Namjoon. I don't think he will die because he's the only man in his family.

Now am thinking her college boyfriend is going to be the one that dies. He's probably going to die saving her or someone on the bad peoples side is going to kill him accidentally. Maybe his cheating wife or the guy his cheating wife is cheating with.

For some reason, I don't feel bad for the pregnant soojin character. It's probably mean of me but there's something about her character I don't like. Probably too tired to put my finger on the reason why I don't like her. I can think about it later.

I'm excited to be caught up with everyone. I'm ready to post more now.. MWA HAHA HA

>:)

atomickitty said:
episode 24. Could anyone tell me if JJ (se mi's college bf) knows for a fact that jennifer is se mi. Or is he just guessing.. or is he doing that 'I feel it in my bones' thing, where he doesn't know for a fact, but knows because he loved her so much...
I don't remember any particular scene that JJ sees and holds on to an actual evidence that Jennifer is Se Mi, so I think it's his intuition and his familiarity with her that tells him Se Mi is Jennifer. I don't find that surprising at all, cause almost all of the villain family suspected / doubted that Jennifer was not Se Mi, considering she looks the same. I was also quite surprised, I thought the show would say she went for plastic surgery (considering it's so common in korea, kekeke) so that the villain family didn't recognized her but they decided to go down this route instead... 

EDIT: episode 41. Wait. does Namjoon have feelings for Jennifer? I don't know how I feel about that. I'm holding on to the magical hope that everything will go smoothly and she will end up back with her boyfriend and child. But I guess that wouldnt work in a pure revenge drama.

Yes! He obviously does! :P I like them together. At the moment it seems it's a one-sided affair from Nam Joon cause honestly where would Jennifer find the energy to expand her love and affection with all the scheming and revenge / fake love with Prosecutor Bak and Hyuk Min. 

So tired. I must take a break. I hope to catch up with everyone by Wednesday..

EDIT AGAIN: episode 50. okay. I couldn't wait so I watched the rest. wowza. I won't even talk about the revenge part yet because I'm sleepy and my brain hurts but looks like, if she doesn't die in the end.. or if he doesn't die in the end, she's going to end up with Namjoon. I don't think he will die because he's the only man in his family.

Girl, you're AH-MAZING that you went so fast  ^:)and YAY! WOOHOO ! We're on the same episode now kekeke.

Guest atomickitty

@Triton823
Hopefully we'll get our questions answered.

Hee @ena_teo
Thank you, thank you..

I want to say I've never watched a drama so quickly in my life... But that would be a lie. I'm an addict for drama, through and through. Mind you, from episode 15 on, I didn't have subs so I'm only guessing what's happening based on my very limited Korean and 'drama instinct'. If I make a mistake or misunderstand a scene I'm talking about, please let me know.

I am warming up to her and namjoon together. Especially after episode 49. That scene where namjoon and hyuk min are fighting and she goes up to namjoon and tells him to go away. The look on her face was so.. I don't know, there was something there. It said to me she's thinking, 'go away, i don't want you to get hurt because I care about you.' but the others couldn't see her face and only namjoon could. That's when I started warming up to them being together. Also, I think after the revenge is over, she's going to need namjoons family to give her that sense of security again. That sense of family. Besides, they already have her son.

I don't even want to talk about the situation with her son right now because I'm too upset about it. I'm a little mad at namjoon and his aunt for that part of it. I understand why they did it, but I'm still annoyed at them. She's going to be so hurt when she finds out. I mean, if you can't trust the people you're taking revenge with, who can you trust?

For the getting back together part, I think JJ is a lost cause. He's been married to that cheater for too long. I can't wait till he finds out that
1) The daughter is not his
2) the truth about ALL they did to se mi and her family
3) se mi was pregnant with his child.

I wonder what he'll do then. Because he obviously loved her like crazy. If he hadn't married into that horrible family, he could have been there for se mi and raised their baby till she woke up. She could have faked amnesia while they all find a way to get their revenge. namjoon could have worked with them in the same way he's working with jennifer now. But it's too late. I wonder when he finds out if he's going to join the revenge bandwagon or if he's going to say... it's too late now so I won't do anything.

Now that I've had time to think, all the things you said about soojin is exactly what I'm feeling... I started not liking her since she gave him an alibi and didn't realize it. How stupid can you be? I would be so suspicious of my fiance if the girl I caught him sitting in the dark and staring at was found dead. I would question my alibi for him, look into it on the side. But then again, that's just my character. I'm the kind of person that has the passwords to her family's email addresses. Some of them know I have it, some of them don't. I also snoop in everything. I don't use the knowledge I find, I just keep it so I know what's really going on. Haaaa... This is the great thing about being online. I can say the truth about the not so nice things I do.. haaaa...

Anyway, am looking forward to more episodes. At some point they're going to find out who she really is and she'll have to move out. I wonder what episode that will be? I hope it happens before she has to marry hyuk min. I really don't want her to have to marry him and .. touch... him more than she has. The next thing I'm looking forward to happen is JJ finding out the daughter is not his, and not only that, they knew about it and lied to him for years.

Good Fun!!

EDIT: I told you I talk a lot

;)

@atomickitty I enjoy reading your long thoughts and I enjoy writing mine too! So let our thoughts exchange on Thorn Flower begin! kekeke :D
I will watch a korean drama without subs only if I am dying to see what happened with the OTP but my understanding of Korean is poor so I really can't understand and so I usually end up watching only after it's subbed so I won't get frustrated and feel like dying until the subs come out. :P 
I think you're right about Jennifer warming up to Namjoon because I think before episode 49 he didn't make his feelings explicit until now so I think she was slightly caught by surprised, in a good and comforting way. Because what I read from her first expression when he almost fought with Hyuk Min was more of "What the hell are you doing here in such a dangerous place, it could endanger both of us if we are found out", to me. But I'd agree that there's the element of concern from her and not wanting him to get hurt, which increases after their walk/stroll together. 
Yes, I do hope the writer have something in store for JJ... rather his response to the family's true colours. Because on one hand, I think he's already paying for his betrayal towards Se Min, as it is, kekeke. 
I almost forgot about the part of Soo Jin being an alibi for Hyuk Min! Yeah at the start when she discovered her pregnancy it seemed like she wanted to use that information to coerce Hyuk Min into marrying her but it seems like that got to nowhere. While it seems that Soo Jin is a silly love sick fool, the thing is, unfortunately it seems absolutely plausible because I do think people in reality behave irrationally when in love.... kekeke. 
One thing to add... Though not uncommon for Kdramas for the mothers to be the bigger villain, I still find it quite refreshing for Hyuk Min's mother to be the biggest baddest villain in this show, offing all those that stand in her way and her family's "bright" future, even to the extent of ordering deaths behind her husband's back. And what's also interesting is the portrayal of Hyuk Min to resemble his father as a womanizer and a softie at heart while Ji Min is taking after her mother... The clues were there at the start, how she schemed and lied to get her husband to marry her, how she manipulated Prosecutor Bak to chase her ex away but I think her daggers came out in episode 48 during the scene when she pushed a cat into the room to kill the hamsters. That's not it, but after the deed's done she goes over to her mother's bedroom to boast about it and express deep satisfaction and gratification... I thought I saw her devil horns come out in that scene, kekeke. I believe this scene is foretelling that Ji Min is capable of darker things, to achieve what she wants, just like her mother... 
What I'm curious to watch is how Jennifer achieves her revenge through the villain family downfall... At the moment it doesn't seem like she's going to achieve it herself, she's having the help of Namjoon's aunt and the mistress/owner of Blue Moon cafe. But I'm also very curious to see how Soo Ji's mother will have a hand in this cause she seems quite bent on destroying Hyuk Min and parents for the betrayal and the humiliation her daughter has to suffer...

Actually, I'd say that a whole lot worse than setting the cat on the hamsters is the way Ji Min lies to her daughter that it was Jennifer who deliberately fed the hamsters to the cat, adding that proves what an evil woman Jennifer is and explaining why the little girl must stay away from her in future. Having told the child that malicious lie at the start of the episode, she later repeats it on the phone to Soo Ji in Jennifer's hearing (Jennifer has great respect for Soo Ji and it pains her to have to act in a way that Soo Ji despises). That's what gets Ji Min the faceful of wine. But the most horrible thing in the hamster sub-plot was in today's episode (51), when the child deliberately tips scalding coffee over Jennifer. It's one thing for a child to hate someone because they dutifully believe their mother's malicious lies about her. It's quite another for that child to then go out of its way to injure the person its mother maligned. Presumably the child, despite her previously angelic persona, has a vicious streak inherited both from her true father (who must really be a total jerk since both Ji Min and her Mama agree that's what he is, but we've yet to meet the non-gentleman concerned) and from her mother; but it took Ji Min's manipulative approach to mothering to bring it so shockingly to the fore, adding to Jennifer's growing anguish about the collateral effects of her schemes.

baduy said: Actually, I'd say that a whole lot worse than setting the cat on the hamsters is the way Ji Min lies to her daughter that it was Jennifer who deliberately fed the hamsters to the cat, adding that proves what an evil woman Jennifer is and explaining why the little girl must stay away from her in future. Having told the child that malicious lie at the start of the episode, she later repeats it on the phone to Soo Jin in Jennifer's hearing (Jennifer has great respect for Soo Jin and it pains her to have to act in a way that Soo Jin despises). That's what gets Ji Min the faceful of wine. But the most horrible thing in the hamster sub-plot was in today's episode (51), when the child deliberately tips scalding coffee over Jennifer. It's one thing for a child to hate someone because they dutifully believe their mother's malicious lies about her. It's quite another for that child to then go out of its way to injure the person its mother maligned. Presumably the child, despite her previously angelic persona, has a vicious streak inherited both from her true father (who must really be a total jerk since both Ji Min and her Mama agree that's what he is, but we've yet to meet the non-gentleman concerned) and from her mother; but it took Ji Min's manipulative approach to mothering to bring it so shockingly to the fore, adding to Jennifer's growing anguish about the collateral effects of her schemes.

Guest atomickitty

@baduy
Very true what you say about Ji Min and the whole female line in that family. So vicious. How could a little girl think to do something like that? Most of the time, a child will run away from the person they believe hurt their pet. They might want to hurt the person in return, but it takes a special child to actually go ahead with it. Could you please explain to me how you see Jennifer's respect for Soo Jin? I see more of a feeling of guilt that Soo Jin is pregnant and she's doing what she's doing to keep her away from the man she loves. I'm not saying what you see isn't there but I'm watching this without sub titles so I'm not sure of the dialogue. Just wondering if you could tell me if she said anything that makes you think she respects Soo Jin. Any insight into that, from anyone actually, would be lovely.

@Triton823
Snakes sure do raise snakes. OR they neglect the snake and let just the father raise it, but the snake still picks up the bad habits.

@ena_teo
Just like you, I'm glad there are other people actively talking about this drama. I think there would be more people watching it if it was being subbed. I mean, if people sat through Glass Freaking Mask, surely, this show should have more watchers. But alas, we're on episode 51 on the show and there's only 5 pages on this forum. There are dramas that are coming soon yet have over 60 pages. Oh, Thorn Flower, I will stay with you to the end. Just please make it a satisfying end.

I watched episode 51 already, but I have a feeling am missing something. So, I'm going to go watch it again and hope that I suddenly, magically, understand Korean.

;)

@gene71632 I had to rewatch that final episode of glass mask several times to try to get it to make sense, but it did complete opposite it definitely didn't help me only made me ticked off. It is safe to say that Jennifer is intended on destroying them which gives me a slight hope that this will not be a glass mask redux or a yellow boots...hated both endings of those shows. Though this show is promising with Jennifer actually killing the rat ***** who abused her while she was in the hospital. :D

Hi everybody~!
So I did some research and found out on dramabeans site here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2013/01/poster-and-stills-for-revenge-drama-thorn-flower/that the writer of Thorn Flower is the writer of A Man Called God, a drama from 2010 which I didn't watch. 
SO I went to google "A Man Called God ending" (the things/sleuthing I do for Korean dramas kekeke... ) and found this: http://www.hancinema.net/chanmi-s-drama-news-a-man-called-god-finishes-with-good-ending--23459.html so if the writer keeps up his/her "record" of "good" ending then I guess it won't a ridiculous ending for Thorn Flower? From the cursory reading of the article, I think the male protagonist in A Man Called God doesn't end with the woman he loves but he doesn't die, so that's "good" kekeke. 
I am planning to watch A Man Called God when I have the time.. ^^ 

Archived