Should I change my Asian name to English name?

Guest HappyExpress

Guest HappyExpress

I have noticed majority of Asian born America have English name......I also notice other people from different races, they don't change their name to English as much as Asian people. I have been wondering should I change my Asian name to English name? I did not have problem with my Asian name growing up here. I'm just worry having Asian name might affect me not getting job especially working with white people or white area.....

To those who have Asian name does it affect you getting job or your life here in America?

If having English name is more effective and practical, then I'm going to change my name.

instead of officially changing your name, you could perhaps write a christian name in brackets that youd like to be called as.

companies/businesses like to promote equality, but theres always the few (and rare) cases where your ethnicity might affect their decision. i wouldnt place too much emphasis on it. id think the majority will be more interested in whats listed underneath your personal details.

if anything, your asian name would probably benefit you more considering a lot of businesses these days deal with the east. being of course that its backed up by a foreign language that they might be able to take advantage of.

Guest Kerriganton

Hmm, it is interesting . Change it.
It would be for the better anyways. I read somewhere that employers in the U.S (or somewhere) are a bit more likely to hire people with western names than full out foreign names.
Did you come to America when you were at a young age?

Guest IntoSprit

Go for it, the reason of Asian most likely to change their name to English name because of other people may make fun of their Asian name, sadly but true.

If you feel comfortable with it, then I say that you should stay with it. It's not about ethnic identity or all that stuff. It's about what you feel is best for you. If you identify with your name - if you feel like you chose your name and your name chose you, then you know that it's right. Picking another name just so that others have a different perception of you also changes your perception of yourself.

No, dont change your name, I know some people that go by a nick name with friends and co workers

but they still use their original ethnic name on their Driver License

you should be proud of your name, you shouldnt have to change anything to impress anybody, that reminds me of what little kids and teens do because of peer pressure

when your grown up you wont have to worry about things like that, if people think your name sounds funny they are not your friends anyways, why change it to impress unimportant idiots / strangers / co workers?

I wouldnt try to hide my ethnic name because lots of company's prefer to hire minorities to make themselves look good like an equal opportunity employer

i think many become scarred to the point of no return from their younger years. either that, or its just a whole lot more convenient to have a name that can easily be pronounced and recognised.

i know a girl who uses her asian name as the official name (still do). but over the years, the combination of being made fun of and from people who cant pronounce her name properly just made it awkward for her (though im not sure if thats exactly how she feels). these days, people just call her by the first chinese letter of her name or the beginning 2 acronyms of her chinese name. i think im still the only one who actually calls her by her official name haha.

Archived