Does giving in to plastic surgery mean you are superficial?

Guest leapingjaguar234

Guest leapingjaguar234

Do you think doing plastic surgery means you are a shallow and superficial person?
Personally, I disagree. I for one, don't pay that much attention to my appearance but I might have a nose job in the future to straighten my nose. Although it sounds contradictory, I don't think that signifies that I am superficial. Compared to my friends, I spend a lot less time to fix my hair everyday (20 secs max) and I don't really care if I have acne or other blemishes on my face. I've never used any sort of facial cream except some acne cream once in a while. However, I would just like to fit in and have a straight nose like everybody else. Does that make me sort of vain? Ye, I guess, but I mostly just want to fit in. I am a guy btw.

no. looks are very important in our society, unfortunately. just make sure u build a mind under that cuz beauty aint gonna last for ever

Guest flyhighbich

you kind of answered your own question...but I don't think it makes you shallow. Either way, just do what makes you happy. What is wrong with being superficial...aren't we all are at a certain point? 

Guest xFloOwuffBB

Not necessarily. For a significant portion of my life, I believed plastic surgery was the way for me to go due to my low self-esteem. I have an awkward face shape due to my jaw and have the ugliest side profile anyone has ever seen, it's something I've brought up with my orthodontist and they said there's correctional surgery for such a thing.
For the time being I've put such thoughts of surgery on hold as I'm in no way financially stable or even done developing. But I don't think my thoughts of plastic surgery make me superficial. I don't wear make-up or curl/straighten my hair everyday. I don't read fashion magazines. So no.

Guest hearthealer

To me...it really depends. Like if you broke your nose before and it didn't set right, and someone got surgery to fix it thn that's not superficial at all cause you're just reverting your face to it's original state. But if you go "Oh my nose is too flat...gotta get it fixed,  my eyes are weird now, *fix*, OMG i need a V-line face*fix*" In that case, completely superficial and probably in my opinion extremely insecure.
For the record, I rarely wear makeup and I curl my hair only on special occasions like anniversaries and Christmas and the like. 
Honestly, people who emphasize looks too much kinda bother me, you can't choose how you were born lookswise, but personality and character you actually can control so why emphasize so much on smthing no one has any power over rather thn fixate on things that people can actually change....Oh, and yes i do obsess over the VS Angels and the Abercrombie boys but not to the extent where i wonder why i can't look more like the angels and why my bf doesn't look like the boys. I think that in order to be truly comfortable with who you are, you also need to be okay with how you look and accept any and all flaws be it looks or personality. IMHO

Guest c.odette

Part of the reason why there are so many depressed girls who feel isolated out there is because of society's 'get over it' attitude. Though most of the time girls will grow out of wanting drastic change as they mature and leave high school, if the way you look severely affects your quality of life then it goes beyond superficiality.Talk to your family and close friends and your doctor.
Don't feel bad about wanting to look good. It is a part of our nature.

Guest sajuraiza

Well, hi.. I do wear make up and try to look good. But that's for myself, I like to do that kind of stuff  just because I can. I think I'm pretty without make up. But I do plan on getting a nose job and my calves reduced. There's nothing wrong with that but there are a lot ppl that assume that ppl that have plastic surgery are doing it to look good FOR other ppl. Which is total bullcrap.

Honestly, I think it is. It's still changing the real you even though people have a million excuses/reasons to do it.
Spending a lot of time doing your makeup or hair is temporarily to enhance whatever you've got (okay, most of time times since there are double eyelid glues haha) but surgery is actually changing how you look entirely even if its one tiny surgery and will be so-called "plastic" (성형녀/남) forever. As in you wont be "natural."
Also, even if you change how you look, you will always remember that it's not really your face, which is pretty messed up in my opinion....unless you're an airhead and dont give a crap haha xD

Guest StandingWayward

I think the surgery itself is obviously superficial, but it doesn't mean that you yourself are so. People get surgery for all kinds of reasons, but usually because they are very insecure about something and are willing to pay big money, pain, and risks in order to change it. If they are happier that way, kudos to them.
I don't think that we can really blame people for being superficial in our society anyways. We are obsessed with perfection and youth and have impossible measures to stand up against. We can't just accept that and tear down celebrities and such for being imperfect, but then turn around and hate on people for attempting to be perfect/better.
Also, superficiality isn't as terrible as other personality 'flaws'. You can still be a decent person.

Guest c.odette

bubblegumxdxp said: Honestly, I think it is. It's still changing the real you even though people have a million excuses/reasons to do it.
Spending a lot of time doing your makeup or hair is temporarily to enhance whatever you've got (okay, most of time times since there are double eyelid glues haha) but surgery is actually changing how you look entirely even if its one tiny surgery and will be so-called "plastic" (성형녀/남) forever. As in you wont be "natural."
Also, even if you change how you look, you will always remember that it's not really your face, which is pretty messed up in my opinion....unless you're an airhead and dont give a crap haha xD

Guest hb_jackpot

Coloring your hair, wearing make-up, waxing, braces, whitening teeth, lenses, etc. everything is superficial then.... We are all a bit vain if we in any ways try to enhance our looks. 
Whatever you do, do it for yourself.
I wouldn't do surgery cos I'm too scared of going under the knife for anything, even if I was dying I would have to think about going under the knife.

Guest hellopandaluv

I don't think people who undergo plastic/cosmetic surgery are superficial. I think society and the media are responsible for making these people feel like they aren't pretty or handsome enough and so they decide to get work done. In my opinion if people want to get work done, fine but they should also work on their self belief.

Guest fayith77

I don't think so but it depends what you're doing it for. A lot of plastic surgery is done as a reconstructive basis. For cosmetic surgery, that is why doctors do a screening as to why a patient wants to get this kind of surgery. But on the other hand people do peels and laser surgery for medical reasons. It's just a grey area. It just depends on you. If it's cause you don't like something about your body that's your opinion about yourself. Something to boost self-esteem. 

Of course it's superficial. It's changing your appearance. Losing weight is usually superficial too, unless you do it for health reasons. Putting on makeup is superficial. Wearing nice clothes is superficial. Doing your hair is superficial. Do we still do these things? Yes. Should we think less of others who do superficial things? No.

Archived