Lee Sang Yeob 이상엽 - Currently airing Reality show: “The Sixth Sense 3”; Upcoming Mnet show "Artistock Game"

irilight

• 3 weeks later...

Lee Sang Yeob Has Nothing But Praise For BoA’s Professionalism On “My Wife Is Having An Affair This Week”

lee sang yeob boa

BoA has received the highest of compliments from fellow actor Lee Sang Yeob, who was her co-star in JTBC’s “My Wife Is Having An Affair This Week.”

During an interview with reporters about the drama, which concluded on December 3, Lee Sang Yeob spoke about his chemistry with the singer-turned-actress. He said, “I filmed comfortably with her. Actually, I think I ended up depending on her [instead of the other way around]. I was touched by how professional she always was on set. I could tell that she had prepared a lot for the role. Moreover, she was always energetic and so she helped [lighten] the atmosphere a lot as well.”

He continued, “I can’t hold in my laughter well, so I would burst out [while filming], but she always held it in well. She knew her character well and so I think I was also able to show off my own acting very clearly.”

source

• 4 weeks later...

@irilightI wonder if you ever finished LSY's last drama since I never saw you in the drama's thread anymore since its premiere.  I love it for its depth and mature treatment of a hard topic and of course for Lee Sun Kyun's superb performance.  But I also discovered Lee Sang Yeob for the first time and he has a new fan in me.  Anyway, I found this translation of his latest interview and posted it on the drama thread, but I guess I should copy it here for his fans who do not visit that thread.  I found his hero worship so very adorable and I hope you would enjoy reading it, too.:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee Sang-Yeob had an interview in which he talked about his character Joon Young and someone over at Dramabeans has kindly translated a portion of the original text.  LSY is such a darling and it's fun reading his thoughts on working with Lee Sun Kyun and Boa, and on his character itself.

[인터뷰] 이상엽, 우물 안 개구리에서...소통과 뚝심의 배우로 거듭난 사연

Source

Translation by "fan" in the Open Thread dated 12/9/2016:

22 fan December 9th, 2016 at 7:01 AM

I really enjoyed ‘This week My wife will have an affair’ and loved the Young-Young(Ahn Joon-young and Kwon Bo-young) couple. Lee Sang-yeop who played PD Ahn Joon-young had an interview.[OSEN, Star News]
He worked on 5 dramas this year including Signal, God of noodles, Doctors, Drama special My happy home and TWMWWHAA. In these dramas, he played variety of characters ranging from a serial killer to a PD. He especially made a strong impression when he played a serial killer in Signal. His character was a part-timer in a convenient store obsessed with the neat arrangement of the shelves in addition to being a serial killer. “Still when I search my name on the net, I see some picture of nicely arranged shelves of a convenient store which has comments like “I thought Lee Sang-yeop stopped by.” I feel bad because they must be showing the cool display of the shelves with their occupational pride.”

He picked PD Ahn in TWMWWHAA as a character who is the closest to himself in real life. “I am similar to Ahn Joon-young. I really had hard time after I finished Signal and God of Noodles. I killed a person in Signal, and I was killed in God of Noodles. I did GON only one month after I did Signal, so impact was high. This time I couldn’t wait to go to the set with the expectation how I could make people laugh. The show gave me healing.”
He was noticed by his ‘pathetic behavior’ in the show. “I was thankful that I didn’t hear I looked awkward or not fitting. There were times I acted even more pathetic than PD-nim and writer-nim planned. But at some point real Lee Sang-yeop came out out of blue. With ad-lib, I even spoke in my usual way of talking- like “Hyung-ah” to Lee Sun-kyun(Hyun-woo) and Kim Hee-won(Yoon-gi) on the set.” (how cute)

Didn’t he have fear (his image) being ruined? “From some point, I found myself enjoying it. Because writer-nim and PD-nim made the character fitting to Lee Sang-yeop, I didn’t feel uncomfortable about ruining my image.”
The scenes he sobbed more than Hyun-woo at HW’s situation, and cried whenever a topic on affair came up in the company meeting made people laugh. “I was very worried about the sobbing scene. I was worried if I looked over-acting. But it didn’t look too bad on the screen, so I might had started to act without care from that point on.”

• 22.1 fan December 9th, 2016 at 7:01 AM

Another thing which helped the acting was that many cameras were used in this show unlike most of dramas which use one or two cameras. “Usually with a drama one or two cameras are used, and you have to do the shoot 3-4 times to raise the emotion, and on 4th time they do the tight shot. This time I had to finish in 1-2 times, so I was awkward at first and wondered if I did right. But after a while, that was more comfortable. We could just do as we prepared in the rehearsal without keep shooting, and ad-lib was more natural and acting was more raw, so I liked it better. Also finding where the camera was located was refreshing experience.”

The show dealt with the marriage, divorce and date. “I have never had a chance to think about my ideal type. What I have felt from this show is that I like someone I feel comfortable with. I think I learned from Joon-young and writer Kwon. There was a scene where I said “Is it uncomfortable to eat and drink with me? I feel most comfortable when I do that with you.” while eating pickled radish. I felt connected. I thought being comfortable is the best and most important. I think he was real Ahn Joon-young when he was with writer Kwon. He didn’t have to look cool when he was with her. Also I think he was moved about the fact that even though she sensed Joon-young was divorced she never said a word first.”

This was Lee’s second time working with PD Kim Suk-yoon and writer Lee Nam-kyu after JTBC drama ‘I live in ChungDamDong’ in 2011.
    “This is the second time I work with this team. I was hoping they would contact me, and they called me directly so I felt honored. Also writer-nim said he wrote the script thinking about me from the beginning. At first I wondered “What did he see from me writing this way?” but I could understand the more I was acting. I think it will be great if I can work with them again. It took 5 years working with them again, and I can wait that long again for the next time.”
    He did many projects this year. “I think I did best working without taking a break this year. I really love working. The set is where I get Endorphin and I am most happy and feel healing when I am on the set. I hope I can keep working doing various projects next year too.”

• 22.2 fan December 9th, 2016 at 7:02 AM

Sorry this one goes before 22.1

He also had many funny scenes with Lee Sun-kyun. The scene where their chemistry shined was Hotel scene when Hyun-woo went to Hotel with Jun-young to confirm his wife’s affair. While doing that, they tried to get a room, which caused misunderstanding for people around them. “I was sweating because I kept holding his hands. They filmed many versions for the ending – whining, sulking, etc but PD-nim used the clean cut, so I felt relieved. That time the looks from people were so funny, and people who worked with us were so good. There were times Sun-kyun Hyung’s expression was caught on the screen and I was moved thinking “He makes the scene come alive like this.” I often watch video clip of the show, and when I see a scene where I appear with Sun-kyun hyung, I just see hyung and notice how the scene was saved. When I see just myself without hyung in the picture, I see an awful acting, so I wonder all were Sun-kyun hyung’s made.”

Lee said his heart fluttered when he first met Lee Sun-kyun. “I joined Lee Sun-kyun Gyo(Gyo=faith, like hero worship). I reported “I am doing an interview today.” to him. I used to imitate him in ‘Pasta’. I was so anxious when PD-nim arranged a meeting with Boa ssi and Sun-kyun hyung. I was stuck on the traffic on a way to meet him, and I felt like I was going to meet my love. He was easy-going and felt like my real brother. I think I became to like him as a person. It might have been his consideration too. I didn’t know at first, but when I watched the scene where we acted together later, I realized he matched me in acting. Usually I behave flippantly, but he always smiled at me and told me good stories while we ate or drank together. We also shared complaints which was really great.”

His partner Boa who played the writer Kwon is a singer who didn’t have much acting experience, so question was if there was any burden about team-work or leading her acting. “I felt that I could do ‘give and take’ with this person acting-wise. I did acting so comfortably with writer Kwon, and I even relied on her. There were times I even got impressed by her professionalism. I thought “Wow she really prepared hard.”, and she boosted the set atmosphere because she had full of energy. I was dying to endure the laughing, but she did it without sweat. Also she didn’t make any NGs. Since she grabbed hold of center for her character, I felt like she showed what I could do clearly. I thought “Since she is doing this, I can do this.” The acting pattern of Jun-young could make his partner feel at loss, but she didn’t have any of that, and took it and gave it back well. I thought she was really good artist and good actress.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@irilightI wonder if you ever finished LSY's last drama since I never saw you in the drama's thread anymore since its premiere.  I love it for its depth and mature treatment of a hard topic and of course for Lee Sun Kyun's superb performance.  But I also discovered Lee Sang Yeob for the first time and he has a new fan in me.  Anyway, I found this translation of his latest interview and posted it on the drama thread, but I guess I should copy it here for his fans who do not visit that thread.  I found his hero worship so very adorable and I hope you would enjoy reading it, too.:)

@sadiesmith, hi   :) 
Sorry to have gone MIA on the drama thread. I was a bit devastated when my guess about the affair went out the window. Also, my time is more limited these days.  The drama was very different than what I thought it would be. But I am with you that I loved it for the way they had treated this mature subject. And I loved our cast. This was my first time to watch Song Ji-Hyo in a drama, and I totally fell for her; so much so, that I intend to go back and watch other drama with her.

I am so glad you are loving Lee Sang Yeob. He is very versatile actor, that thankfully has not been typecast. I saw him first in a family drama "House of Bluebird," in which he had a role that was both charming and flirtatious at times, as well as torn and full of pain in other. In Signal (My favorite drama of 2016, and one of my favorites ever) he had a cameo appearance as a serial killer who was abused as a child. His performance was just beyond awesome. In God of Noodles, his chemistry with his co-star was fantastic, and was one of the main reasons (so I was told) people continued watching that drama. And his heart wrenching performance in his cameo on Doctors brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you so much for posting this interview on Lee Sang Yeob thread.

I love the insights in this interview. When he said about his ideal type someone to feel comfortable with the same way he felt when he was with Bo-Young in the drama! Their relationship was indeed so comfortable and natural. They were like made for each other.

That hotel scene was indeed very funny. (and also sad..) I love his good remarks both about Lee Sung-Kyung and Boa. Very nice read, thank you.

His latest IG update:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, irilight said:

@sadiesmith, hi   :) 
Sorry to have gone MIA on the drama thread. I was a bit devastated when my guess about the affair went out the window. Also, my time is more limited these days.  The drama was very different than what I thought it would be. But I am with you that I loved it for the way they had treated this mature subject. And I loved out cast. This was my first time to watch Song Ji-Hyo in a drama, and I totally fell for her; so much so, that I intend to go back and watch other drama with her.

I love the insights in this interview. When he said about his ideal type someone to feel comfortable with the same way he felt when he was with Bo-Young in the drama! Their relationship was indeed so comfortable and natural. They were like made for each other.

That hotel scene was indeed very funny. (and also sad..) I love his good remarks both about Lee Sung-Kyung and Boa. Very nice read, thank you.

So that's why you disappeared.  You were not the only one dropping or thought about dropping the drama once the affair is confirmed.  But one thing is for sure, (I have read many comments on the drama) everyone who watches it loves LSY's character; people love his interaction with Boa, his loyalty to his hyung, his wearing his emotions on his sleeves, etc..  He and Boa are everyone's favorite characters.  I thought he and LSK have really good rapport with each other and I grin whenever I think of one of his many goofy scenes with LSK.  To me it's his scenes that keep this drama from getting too heavy, not Kim Hee-won's.

So did you hear the latest news that he will be one of the leads (not necessarily main lead but still) in an upcoming KBS drama Perfect Wife?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

To me it's his scenes that keep this drama from getting too heavy, not Kim Hee-won's.

So did you hear the latest news that he will be one of the leads (not necessarily main lead but still) in an upcoming KBS drama Perfect Wife?

haha. We were typing at the same time.  :)

Yes, agree. His fan moments kept the drama from going too heavy, for sure.

yes. I heard, and I just updated this thread....  Lets see who will confirm for Perfect Wife...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fai Nurse said:

Hello, I come from Thailand.I'm Lee Sang Yeob Fc. in Thailand and create facebook fanpage for him http://www.facebook.com/yeobthai

I want to know how about his consider for role's offer for "Perfect Wife"

thank you

Hi @Fai Nurse  :)
Welcome to Lee Sang-Yeob thread.

Looks like Lee Sang-Yeob has turned down the offer for Perfect Wife.
He worked so hard this year.
I bet he needs a rest.

• Like 1

Hi!! Do you guys mind if I post this here?

Their drama is always losing to "fantastic", we have to spread because we only can vote once... to vote, just like the picture of the drama you want to vote and maybe comment too ^^

thank you :D

Lee Sang Yeob seemed to me a very nice and beautiful person in the drama, a great actor too, I hope he works with Ji Hyo other times ^^

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pinsc said:

Hi!! Do you guys mind if I post this here?

Hi @pinsc, on the contrary - Please do..!:)

Loving your contribution!

wow. I did not even know about the JTBC Drama Awards.   Of course, I am voting for this one.

I hope you also posted it on the drama thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irilight said:

wow. I did not even know about the JTBC Drama Awards.   Of course, I am voting for this one.

What someone needs to do is put the instagram voting on sangyeob's instagram page so his fans can vote too.  I have no idea how to do that.  I can't even open an instagram account.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, irilight said:

Yes, they already posted there, thanks xD

Boa also has a lot of fans, does she have a thread here?

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

What someone needs to do is put the instagram voting on sangyeob's instagram page so his fans can vote too.  I have no idea how to do that.  I can't even open an instagram account.

I also have no idea, maybe is just comment "please vote in his drama here @jtbcdrama"on the photos? Haha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pinsc said:

Yes, they already posted there, thanks xD

Boa also has a lot of fans, does she have a thread here?

I also have no idea, maybe is just comment "please vote in his drama here @jtbcdrama"on the photos? Haha

Boa's thread here has not been active since 2015.  You should go to her instagram instead and put a comment for all her fans to see.  Do the same for sangyeob page.  Good luck with that. :-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Boa's thread here has not been active since 2015.  You should go to her instagram instead and put a comment for all her fans to see.  Do the same for sangyeob page.  Good luck with that. :-)

I'll try, I think it will end tomorrow already.
Thank you ^^

• Like 1