✪ Kim So Hyun 김소현 ✪ [Drama 2023: My Lovely Liar], [Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy]

faye406

On 5/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, Erick Miranda said:

Good to hear that. All I can wish now is for KSH to do drama/movie cameos, CFs or award hosting so our 2020 will not be filled by void. 

This yes please! 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 1:03 AM, elan1 said:

There’s no official reports but it’s looking likely it will be 2021. 

No too far!

On 5/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, totoro_mei said:

Ok good plot. One day Sohyun will maybe have action thriller drama. Now only romance.

One day!

4 hours ago, Palette45 said:

Wasn't aiming to be negative I just worry about her not getting the right breaks and promotions. Popularity can be fleeting and so many actors and actresses have disappeared despite being very popular at one time it worries me. Kim Sohyun still has much to show and do in her career it shouldn't get cut short by bad management. I want her to get those A list dramas and movies with good scripts but at the same time she is too young for those roles like Camellia which she would be great at. In the meantime she should at least get the right exposure and promotions in endorsements and magazines. 

Have hope!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Erick Miranda said:

Well, that worry will bring no good. Let us stop making issues about everything. She's not anymore the 16-year who works nonstop, appears in a lot of dramas, shoot a lot of CFs. She's already graduated from her breakout phase. She is now at the phase of becoming a top leading lady which will be achieved if she consistently takes successful roles and projects (which I think is happening after the back to back success of LA and TTON). 

As to what Song Kang is achieving right now, I guess it is just normal for rookies after starring in a hit drama to experience a surge in demand through drama offers and various appearances. It already happened to So Hyun when she starred in School 2015. That drama brought her to global stardom. It made her work nonstop during the 2015-2016 period. And we will not be able to discover if not to that drama. 

Further, I don't think she will be out of job. I guess I read somwhere that there are 30+ drama and movies being offered to her in the last 2 years. So, it just goes to show that she is so in demand and looks like every K-industry giants have an eye for her. But So Hyunnie can not take all of it, she needs to choose projects which will improve her acting and will be ratings winner. And I guess LA and TTON will not be success if not without the help of her agency. 

• Insightful 2

11 hours ago, Palette45 said:

Thanks for the welcome. Didn't plan to post but it feels like Kim Sohyun might not end up in a drama this year because a lot of dramas airing in October and November already announced casting and some even started to film so I was feeling dejected. The follow up to Love Alarm by Et story could been handled better. I'm happy for Song Kang but I don't understand why Kim Sohyun hasn't gotten the same opportunities and exposure. I also agree about her being under appreciated which is even more sad because she has a long resume and a lot of variety in her roles but she never seems to get the right dues for her hard work. I'm hoping the best for her next work something that is worth a Baeksang nomination. I understand your point about endorsements but I still feel she could have more than she does now because her selling power is strong.

I expressed in an old post but the female casting for true beauty hasn’t been announce yet and it’s coming out this year, I hope ksh gets it! Also Yeo Jin goo was announce for a new project this year a few days ago, so if there’s a good female lead role, hopefully she could reunite with him. Ahn Hyo seop also has a upcoming historical drama this year that doesn’t have a female lead yet either. And also love revolution doesn’t have a female lead cast yet. So there’s still a good number of projects slated for this year that could cast her. I think by the end of august if there’s no new project announced then we can safely say she won’t be in a new drama this year. So we still have three months :lol:

—baeksang nomination not only depends on talent but luck, luck that you get a good role. Sometimes the most random, low key roles will bring the most acclaim. No one thought world of the married or Itaewon class was going to do so well haha —also it’s okay if she doesn’t get award nominated roles at the moment as long as she keep choosing roles that are diverse and growing and sharpening up her skills, I think that’s great too! 

lets just keep praying and sending her good thoughts that she’s healthy and that she will find good works soon in the future :)

2 hours ago, Erick Miranda said:

I guess I read somwhere that there are 30+ drama and movies being offered to her in the last 2 years.

Where did you read that? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elan1 said:

I expressed in an old post but the female casting for true beauty hasn’t been announce yet and it’s coming out this year, I hope ksh gets it! Also Yeo Jin goo was announce for a new project this year a few days ago, so if there’s a good female lead role, hopefully she could reunite with him. Ahn Hyo seop also has a upcoming historical drama this year that doesn’t have a female lead yet either. And also love revolution doesn’t have a female lead cast yet. So there’s still a good number of projects slated for this year that could cast her. I think by the end of august if there’s no new project announced then we can safely say she won’t be in a new drama this year. So we still have three months :lol:

—baeksang nomination not only depends on talent but luck, luck that you get a good role. Sometimes the most random, low key roles will bring the most acclaim. No one thought world of the married or Itaewon class was going to do so well haha —also it’s okay if she doesn’t get award nominated roles at the moment as long as she keep choosing roles that are diverse and growing and sharpening up her skills, I think that’s great too! 

lets just keep praying and sending her good thoughts that she’s healthy and that she will find good works soon in the future :)

Where did you read that? 

I guess the interview was somewhere done in a Korean local magazine or news site. I forgot the exact name but there is a "sport" word in it. 

• Like 2

Netflix’ “Love Alarm Season 2” to air next year; currently filming as spotted by fans

Netflix recently confirmed that Love Alarm will officially have its season 2.

Fans are expecting that it will officially air this year; however, the writer said that it will be released next year.

In an article of Insight Korea, it said that Love Alarm Season 2 will air in 2021, later than expected, so fans still need to wait longer.

Meanwhile, the main cast of the said drama already attended the script reading as posted on February 24 and were spotted by fans filming the next season.

Kim So Hyun, Song Kang, and Jung Ga Ram were all present on the script reading day

The cast members were also spotted filming for Love Alarm Season 2 last May 2.

The photos below are posted by A Fangirl’s Heart on Twitter.

Love Alarm 2 is the sequel of the 2019 Netflix Korean-hit drama Love Alarm.

The story is based on the webtoon written by Chon Kye Young.

It is about a dating application called Love Alarm which if turned on, it allows users to know who has romantic feelings for them within certain radius.

The first season ended with Jojo hoping to unlock the shield on her love alarm app, while running into Sun Oh and his girlfriend Yuk Jo at a Love Alarm 2.0 launch event where Hye Young also rushes to find Jojo.

Source: Insight Korea, Netflix, and A Fangirl’s Heart

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, elan1 said:

baeksang nomination not only depends on talent but luck, luck that you get a good role. Sometimes the most random, low key roles will bring the most acclaim. No one thought world of the married or Itaewon class was going to do so well haha —also it’s okay if she doesn’t get award nominated roles at the moment as long as she keep choosing roles that are diverse and growing and sharpening up her skills, I think that’s great too! 

Where did you read that? 

Yes one day baeksang too!

• Like 1

Love Alarm Season 2 Release Date, Cast, Plot And Everything You Need To Know

Modified date: Sunday, 24 May 2020, 06:52 EDT

Overview

Love Alarm recounts to the narrative of three youngsters who grow up when the world-changing application called Love Alarm is discharged. The application, whenever turned on, permits clients to know who inside a 10-meter span has sentimental affections for them. Since the application is adjusted with the client’s heart, it’s impossible to lie, which raises some ruckus when two beloved companions – model Hwang Sun-gracious (Song Kang) and his servant’s child Lee Hye-Yeong (Jung Ga-smash) – both fall for a similar young lady, Kim Jojo (Kim So-Hyun).

One season has released on Netflix till now which consists of 8 episodes. The running time of each episode is 42-56 minutes.

Rotten Tomatoes has not rated the series till now but the average score given by the audience is 82%.  

Cast

Appreciate Alarm’ for the most part rotates around three characters that are lead. Kim So-Hyun stars as Jo-Jo, a mollified, lively, and young lady, holding an upset family back. Jung Ga-smash is the best companion of Sun-gracious Lee Hee-youthful and Jojo’s key admirer. Tune Kang plays Hwang Sun-goodness, a mannequin’s utilization, by a prosperous home, who likewise loves Jojo. 

Different big names in supporting and repeating jobs incorporate Z. Hera, Shin Seung-ho (Il-Sik), Go Min-si (Park Gool-mi), Yu In-soo, Lee Jae-Seung (Cheong Duk Gu, the program’s designer), Song Geon-hee (Marx), and Choi Joo-won (Sun-goodness’ schoolmate from secondary school). All the huge characters are relied upon to return for season 2, when and if it happens.

Plot 

Fans who completed Love Alarm season 1 without a doubt can hardly wait for the uncover of how that cliffhanger finishing works out. The season 1 finale closes with Jojo got between Sun-gracious and Hye-Yeong, ringing both of their adoration cautions yet incapable to ring both of theirs given the shield given to her by Cheong Duk Gu (Lee Jae-Seung). A potential season 2 would no uncertainty offer fans response to the topic of what occurs next for these three, conceivably in any event, uncovering who Jojo in the long run winds up with (the webtoon continues past where the TV show leaves off, but on the other hand is incomplete). 

Love-Alarm-Season-2-The-Buzz-Paper-1-1.j

Further, Love Alarm season 2 would almost certainly show the Love Alarm 2.0 application in real life. As uncovered in the season 1 finale, Love Alarm 2.0 will have the option to tell who will begin to look all starry eyed at one another, foreseeing how emotions will develop between two individuals. That is a sensible subsequent stage for the application, and is a reason rich for a show, particularly since it could influence Jojo’s decision between Sun-goodness and Hye-Yeong. 

Finally, there’s as yet the puzzle encompassing the engineer of Love Alarm. Watchers know Duk Gu built up the application, since he gave Jojo the one of a kind shield tech and he’s appeared in the engineer’s room before vanishing. In any case, the Love Alarm 2.0 introduction is given by somebody who is not Duk Gu. What befell him and why the Love Alarm organization is making another person look like the engineer are questions a potential Love Alarm season 2 could reply, notwithstanding at long last settling the affection triangle between Jojo, Sun-gracious, and Hye-Yeong for the last time.

Release date

As far as when Love Alarm season 2 will discharge on Netflix, that is to a great extent reliant on to what extent it takes to create. Love Alarm season 1 is just eight scenes, so a potential season 2 may not take too long to even think about making. All things considered, season 1 was declared in mid-2017 and didn’t discharge until August 2019 – however followup seasons once in a while take as long as the underlying trip. Given Netflix regularly discharges TV show seasons about a year separated, it’s conceivable Love Alarm season 2 could discharge in August 2020. In any case, that remaining parts to be seen.
  • Like 1

I think the meat of the plot of Love Alarm will be found in the season 2nd. We will get to know more how the Love Alarm application affects the society and the lives of people revolving around it. For this reason, I agree that the production takes a lot of time developing the plot of the season because I believe it will help LA to achieve critical acclaim and of course, bigger popularity. So I am not lonely anymore of the news that LA will be aired next year because at the end of the day, we deserve a quality drama.

• Like 1

9 romantic comedies to swoon over when you are staying in at home

APRIL 29, 2020PUBLISHED AT 2:44 PMByVALERIE TOHCLEO SINGAPORE

With all the bad news in the world now, it helps to get away from all the negativity and destress every once in a while. What better way to do that than by streaming light-hearted rom-coms that will lift your spirits?

You will laugh, cry, and want to fall in love but perhaps the most important thing is that they give you hope that things will always work out no matter how bad they seem.

If you have been feeling down, here are 9 romantic comedies to watch that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The Tale Of Nokdu
nok.png PHOTO: Viu

What it’s about: A young man has to disguise himself as a woman to enter a women-only village, so that he can find out his real identity after his family is attacked by mysterious female assassins. He then meets a feisty young woman who is also hiding secrets of her own.

Why you should watch it: If you are a sageuk fan, you will enjoy this fresh take on the historical genre. With tons of action, comedic as well as intense moments, and a great deal of chemistry between the two leads, time will fly when you are watching this drama.

And there’s a bonus — male lead Jang Dong Yoon is a good-looking guy with a hot bod, but he also looks equally beautiful (and pretty convincing) when dressed up as a woman.

Full episodes of The Tale Of Nokdu are available for free on Viu.com and on the Viu app.

• Like 1

9 Korean dramas that you can finally watch on Netflix this June!

Another month is coming and more surprises are in-store for Korean drama fans! Are you excited to know what is it? Netflix is dropping K-dramas on their application this June!

You can finally watch new and previous K-dramas on the said streaming app. From various genre, plots, and actors, you will surely love to see each of these.

Whether you are a new K-drama fan or not, it is so good to watch or re-watch these, right? Below is the list that can definitely help you relieve your stress, bes!

5. The Tale of Nokdu – June 15

The_Tale_of_Nokdu-P1.jpg?w=780&is-pendin Photo from KBS

It is about a man who disguises as a woman to enter a mysterious women-only village; and a young woman who does not want to become a gisaeng. The story is based on the webtoon of the same name.

• Like 1

Just now, Erick Miranda said:

9 Korean dramas that you can finally watch on Netflix this June!

Another month is coming and more surprises are in-store for Korean drama fans! Are you excited to know what is it? Netflix is dropping K-dramas on their application this June!

You can finally watch new and previous K-dramas on the said streaming app. From various genre, plots, and actors, you will surely love to see each of these.

Whether you are a new K-drama fan or not, it is so good to watch or re-watch these, right? Below is the list that can definitely help you relieve your stress, bes!

5. The Tale of Nokdu – June 15

The_Tale_of_Nokdu-P1.jpg?w=780&is-pendin Photo from KBS

It is about a man who disguises as a woman to enter a mysterious women-only village; and a young woman who does not want to become a gisaeng. The story is based on the webtoon of the same name.

Netflix is so invested to So Hyun's dramas which only proves her wide global popularity. Save for Love Alarm, the following KSH's dramas are being aired in Netflix:

(1) Nightmare High;

(2) School 2015;

(3) Let's Fight Ghost;

(4) Ruler;

(5) Radio Romance; and

(6) Tale of Nokdu.

Out of her 8 dramas in a leading role, 7 of them are aired in Netflix. Wow!

• Like 1

Hallyu is the new Hollywood

Why K-dramas click with Filipinos and the rest of the world

By: Lito B. Zulueta     Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:15 AM October 27, 2019

With the visit recently of actor Lee Dong-wook in connection with the Love Korea Culture and Travel Fiesta of the Korean Tourism Organization (KTO), the Hallyu wave in the Philippines may have come full circle.

The first time Lee was in the country was in 2006 when he came to Manila to promote “My Girl,” one of the first Korean TV dramas (K-drama) to hit it big internationally.

Along with “Winter Sonata” (2002) and “Jewel in the Palace” (2003), “My Girl” (2005) heralded the Korean invasion.

Hallyu is the new Hollywood Historical drama “Jewel in the Palace” (2003)

Since then, Lee has made other notable K-dramas, most notably “Goblin” in 2016, a supernatural series on Korean pay-TV station TvN in which he portrays the Grim Reaper and the foil to the title character played by Gong Yoo, also popular among Filipinos for previously starring in the hit zombie movie “Train to Busan.”

Dong-wook and Gong Yoo are idolized much like Hollywood stars by Filipino fans, underscoring how Hallyu, or Korean popular-culture wave, has grown by leaps and bounds since the start of the new millennium.

Reliving the romance

Along with movies, cuisine and K-pop, K-dramas have made Korea a global cultural force. Filipinos have so taken to K-dramas that whenever budget travel allows, they go to Korea and visit Minsokchon or Korean Folk Village, where historical K-dramas such as “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” (2010) and “The Moon Embracing the Sun” (2012) were filmed; Namsan Tower where parts of “Boys Over Flowers” (2009) and “My Love from the Stars” (2013-2014) were shot; and going outside of Seoul, the Jumunjin Breakwater in Gangneung and Borinara Hogwon Farm, where episodes of “Goblin” (2016) were made.

Heck, for those who avidly watched “Winter Sonata” when it made its worldwide splash in 2002 (presumably those initial K-drama fans have now acquired greater purchasing power to jet-set and relive the old romance), they could go to Nami island where the two star-crossed lovers played by Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo had their first kiss.

And more heck, K-drama fans could also go to mystical Jeju Island, where in “My Girl,” Lee Da-hae as Joo Yoo-rin is a tour guide who gets drafted by Lee Dong-wook as Seol Gong-chan to play his dying grandfather’s long-lost granddaughter, so he could inherit the family fortune. But overjoyed at finally finding her, the old man revives so that the two conspirators have to prolong further the charade enough for them to fall in love with each other.

In fact, Lee Dong-wook’s second Manila visit in 13 years was under the auspices of the KTO, which is promoting Seoul, Busan, Jeju and other sites to Filipino K-drama fanatics who wish to bask in the exact spots where their favorite K-drama characters felt the first stirrings of romance.

Knowing your Lees and Parks

K-dramas have become local staples as much as the usual Hollywood fare, so that Filipinos could easily distinguish who is who among Korean actors despite their similar surnames—Lee Dong-wook and Lee Min-ho, Park Bo-gum and Park Ho-on, Nam Joo-hyuk and Nam Woo-hyun, and Ji Soo and Ji Chang-wook—and who would be the male and the female between Song Joong Ki and Song Hye-Kyo, and Park Seo-joon and Park Min-young.

Rabid Filipino K-drama fans could likewise distinguish who is who between two actors who have exactly the same name—“Kim So-hyun.” Is it the lead actor in “My Love from the Stars” or the lead actress in “Radio Romance” (2018) and “The Tale of Nokdu” (now running on KBS)?

Hallyu has simply become the new Hollywood.

Crisis and opportunity

The success of K-dramas should prove the truism that with crisis comes opportunities.

Severely affected by the Asian financial crisis of 1997, Korea stepped up the export of its cultural products. The timing was just right. The other Asian economies, also suffering from the crisis, were looking for cheaper cultural products to import than those coming from Japan, then as now, a global cultural powerhouse with its J-pop, anime and manga. (Taiwan’s “Meteor Garden” in 2001 and Korea’s “Boys Over Flowers” in 2009 were TV adaptations of a Japanese manga graphic narrative series.)

The confluence of these two factors—Korea exporting its K-dramas and K-pop music, and global TV networks looking for canned TV programs cheaper than Japan’s—unleashed the Korean Hallyu invasion.

Slick and stylish, K-dramas and K-pop are well-made and well-financed. They’re thoroughly capitalist and may be traced to the Korean economic miracle fashioned out of the initial tacit agreement between the old military dictatorship and the chaebols, the family business conglomerates that have lifted the country from the ruins of the Korean war to its present status as one of the world’s dozen biggest economies.

Some of these chaebols in fact have businesses extending to the Korean entertainment industry, and government provides direction if not financial support, directly or indirectly, to the Korean cultural industry.

But according to “East Asian Pop Culture: Analysing the Korean Wave,” edited by Beng Huat Chua and Koichi Iwabuchi (Hong Kong University Press), there’s no “linear evolution” to directly trace the success of K-dramas to government and corporate support.

What can be determined is that the Korean government’s “promotional policy is undoubtedly a most prominent factor in the growth of the Korean media industry.” Apparently this has been the tack taken all along by the Korean government, as can be gleaned from the Manila visit of Lee Dong-wook sponsored by the KTO.

Despite corporate and government support, it “should not be ignored” that Korean media producers have exerted “continuous efforts to improve their own production techniques.”

Hallyu is the new Hollywood Gong Yoo (center) in a promo poster for “Train to Busan” (2016)

Rising costs, star system

A typical K-drama would run for 12 to 24 episodes, and an episode would cost some 250 million Korean won ($209,000 or more than P10 million).

A historical drama would be more expensive: It could even be double the ordinary cost. On Netflix, the Korean historical horror drama hit, “Kingdom,” was supposed to run for eight episodes, but ended with the sixth because the budget had been totally used up by then.

Like Hollywood and the Philippines, Korean TV drama has become more and more the domain of the star system. Top stars may get as much as 65 percent of the budget, so that the rest of the cast and the production crew have to content themselves with the meager balance.

As in the Philippines, too, because of the high costs of production, Korean producers seek to shoot episodes in the shortest time possible, so that filming could be 24/7, taxing actors and crew mercilessly.

And as in the Philippines, too, only the initial episodes would be pre-produced, and the rest shot and cobbled together while the series is already running. In some cases, the final edited tape may not reach broadcast on time so that audiences would find their TV screens blanking out for several minutes.

But the star system may have been a blessing. Because of the growing international popularity of K-dramas and actors, recent productions with their broadcast and streaming rights have been presold overseas, endowing them with a higher budget to complete the shooting before inaugural airing, making filming less hectic and cruel.

Product placements

Adding to the improved budget would be product placements, which according to one estimate may number as much as 57 per episode!

Product placements almost always cater to women, such as certain lipstick brands in “Memories of Alhambra” (2018), “While You Were Sleeping” (2017), and “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) [if Song Hye-kyo got her man Song Jong-ki through that lipstick palette, then what’s barring other women from using it, too?], and even Wonderbra in “This is My First Life” (2017).

All of these should show that K-dramas appropriate celebrities, icons, contents and program formats of Hollywood, Japanese and established commercial media industries.

Innovations

But as in Korean government and corporate support, there’s no linear development that would deny K-dramas have made their own innovations.

While they are largely melodramas, Korean TV “novels” are written by top writers who are well-paid and have a say in the production and even the cast. Most of the writers are women, such as the Hong sisters who wrote “My Girl” and “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho” (2010), starring another recent Manila visitor, Netflix “Vagabond” star Lee Seung-gi.

Perhaps because most of the writers are women, much of the productions are along the romance genre, whether they be historical or contemporary dramas.

Predictably enough, the most common plot twist is amnesia, a favorite device from “Winter Sonata” in 2002 to “Boys over Flowers” in 2009, “Moon Embraces the Sun” in 2012, “Goblin” in 2016, and “Suspicious Partner” in 2017, starring Bench model Ji Chang-wook.

Hallyu is the new Hollywood Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo in “Winter Sonata” (2002)

Despite the genre conventions, K-dramas try to push the envelope in tackling unconventional situations, such as Korean mining in Indonesia in “Man from the Equator” and Korean peacekeeping in a fictional troubled country called Uruk (Iraq?) in “Descendants of the Sun.”

Historical dramas have contemporary resonance, such as “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds,” in which Park Bo-gum, who recently conducted a very successful “fan meeting” in Manila, plays a Joseon prince battling an illicit organization that’s in control of the country, conjuring perhaps the chaebols’ hold on the Korean political economy and even suspected narco-states in Asia and South America.

K-dramas, for all the predictability of their plots, contemporize on archetypes developed by classic literature.

In “He’s So Beautiful,” Bench model Park Shin-hye plays a postulant who runs away from the nunnery and disguises herself as a male instrumentalist to join a popular rock band where she’s bullied by the arrogant leader, the hilarious androgynous-looking Jang Geun-suk, until he finds himself questioning his sexuality and irresistibly drawn to her, a dilemma right out of Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night.”

In the very dark drama “Man from the Equator,” the blind protagonist plots revenge while Braille-reading Alexander Dumas’ “The Count of Monte Cristo.”

By and large, K-dramas have also appealed to Philippine and Asian audiences because of the Oriental values they portray, such as devotion to family, respect for elders, filial piety, work ethic and discipline, and nostalgia for the past, especially evident in historical and period K-dramas.

Parody and self-criticism

All of these may be clichés for some, but even the Korean media industry is self-critical and aware of them.

On “Gag Concert” on KBS, a very popular running skit depicts a K-drama director coming to the set and complaining about the low ratings.

“It’s so boring,” the director says about his drama. “That is why the ratings are going down.”

He tries to spike up the sagging fortunes of his show by resorting to formulas that, however tired, do their twisted magic.

Since K-dramas mostly depict respect for elders, he declares: “The son should go against the father.”

Since his show is a romantic melodrama, he changes course and calls in zombies to ruin the romance and frighten the audience out of their boredom.

And “when it gets terribly boring,” the director says, “someone should develop amnesia.” He points to one of the supporting actors, “You can be the doctor.”

And to add to the income of his show, the director calls in product placements. “When things get serious,” he declares holding up a shampoo bottle, “don’t forget the product placement.”

Warned that viewers have been complaining about the increasing number of product placements, the director waves away the criticism.

“It should be like this,” he smugly says, “so that the audience can curse the screen and the ratings will go up.”

Read more: https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/349319/hallyu-is-the-new-hollywood/#ixzz6Nd1IZTkH
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• Like 1

The new leading ladies of K-drama

They become stars via music, drama or fashion, their lives scrutinized constantly by the media

By: Ruel S. De Vera     Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:02 AM December 06, 2019

A new generation of leading ladies has taken over the bright realm of Korean movies and television shows, having taken the reins from the likes of the OG K-drama queen Jun Ji-hyun (the first “My Sassy Girl”), Song Hye-kyo (“Full House”) and Park Shin-hye (“Stairway to Heaven”).

While the traditional path to K-drama fame has been divergent paths—music only, drama only, fashion only—today’s K-drama stars usually mix all three, immersed in projects on screen and off-screen and product endorsements, their lives scrutinized constantly by the media. They’re also much busier than they’ve ever been, but are now even more famous around the world, truly Korean icons on a global stage.

Here are five K-drama actresses currently in the limelight:

t1206anniv-super-k-ruey-2.jpg

Kim So-hyun

The youngest on this list, So-hyun was one of South Korea’s most famous child actresses before she grew up into full-fledged superstardom. She became known for being the host of a whole panoply of music TV and awards shows. She’s so popular she’s often cast in roles older than her now 20 years. She was the doomed queen in “Goblin” and featured in her own reality TV show “This is my First Twenty.”

This pretty fresh face was most recently seen on the Netflix show “Love Alarm,” which will be getting a second season soon. She is obviously just getting started.

t1206anniv-super-k-ruey-4.jpg

Park Min-young

It could be argued that the smart and witty Park belongs to the OG group as well, having been in everything from “City Hunter” (with Lee Min-ho) to “Healer” (with Ji Chang-wook). But she’s stayed very much in demand between projects such as the really wacky Netflix detective show “Busted,” the popular “What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim” and her newest K-drama, “Her Private Life.”

t1206anniv-super-k-ruey-3.jpg

Lee Sung-kyung

This list would not be complete without the star of “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo,” which acts as the gateway K-drama for many. Because of that, it feels like this in-demand model has been around a while. Lee is easily the new queen of endorsements: Laneige, Adidas, Stylus, Asics and Bulgari, among many others. Lee is only 29 and should soon be back on the screen after 2018’s “About Time.” She was welcomed warmly during her Manila fan meet earlier this year.

t1206anniv-super-k-ruey-1.jpg

IU

The artist also known as Lee Ji-eun is much better known as a K-pop star with hit records. Her most recent single, “Love Poem,” has proven extremely popular. IU has gone into acting, as well, with roles on shows such as  “The Producers,” “Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo” and “My Mister.” She really came into her own as the mystical proprietor of the titular establishment in “Hotel del Luna.” IU represents the perfect intersection of K-pop celebrity, and seems poised for a genuine breakout.

t1206anniv-super-k-ruey-5.jpg

Suzy Bae

Yes, a lot of people know Bae because she used to date Lee Min-ho and Lee Dong-wook. But that would seriously diminish the scale of the career of the actress, who best exemplifies the current crop of K-drama leading ladies.

Her story starts off as those of countless other K-pop hopefuls: She auditions for a TV talent show but fails. A talent scout finds her, and she winds up in a girl group (miss A) but makes her mark when she starts appearing on TV shows, culminating in an award-winning run, starring with Lee Seung-gi in “Gu Family Book” and Kim Woo-bin in “Uncontrollably Fond.” Her most big leading role is on the hit “While You Were Sleeping.”

She plays Nam Hong-joo, the journalist who starts to share prophetic dreams with prosecutor played by Lee Jong-suk. Nobody could have possibly missed her turn, again opposite Lee Seung-gi, as a spy in the action-packed “Vagabond,” which just ended.

Known for her natural good looks and her versatility, Bae even has her likeness immortalized as a wax dummy at Madame Tussaud’s in Hong Kong. Now, this is what it’s like to be a K-drama leading lady (she’s only 25!) at the height of her powers.

Read more: https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/352421/the-new-leading-ladies-of-k-drama/#ixzz6Nd4XbbSt
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Breeze said:

They are not yet done filming. This makes me more convinced that LAS2 is due next year. In that's the case, my only hope is for the directing, writing and acting to be lit, and let's hope it will attract massive viewership. 

• Like 1