[Drama 2013] The Gu Family Book 구가의 서

Guest yeohweping

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the difference between the global site and the US one is so big.
  :-?

I contributed to the global sales. Although I have to confess, it took some time for the drama to grow me. I had seen the last few minutes of the end first and those didn't take me. Some time later I looked at the first ep and Wulryong had me in five seconds flat. So after ep two I went to Wikipedia for the episode summaries - and some reassurance that the gumiho of sexiness would make a reappearance, and huzzah, did he ever.
:D :x

Well, lets see what Amazon Japan does. I set my order for the Blu Rays to ship only when all three sets are out to save on shipping. Sometimes they split orders and send them faster without and extra shipping fee.

Guest MikeK1430293588

Anyone have stills from when the head gyesang tells the girl to become an artisan gyesang and learn to play the drums? It was a very feminist speech.

• 2 months later...
Guest sunshine4ever

Hi everyone,  there is an interview article of Choi Jin Hyuk about his role as GWR. I'm reposting this from Choi Jin Hyuk's thread for those of you who are interested in GWR and the actor who acted as him. :) Thanks to @celes80 for translating and sharing this article and pictures from the article at CJH's thread. <3

(Interview) GFB: Choi Jin Hyuk Official Interview
Article released: 2014.05.15  / Source article here: http://korepo.com/archives/34874
Translation by celes80 @ Choi Jin Hyuk's Soompi Thread

(sunshine4ever's note: Please credit translator properly if taken out of Soompi. Thank you!)

KoreaPo_zpsd7af2f1d.jpg

Q: What does CJH have in common with GWR?

CJH: Firstly, the fact that we are both quite simple-minded is quite similar (laughs).  Once we are captivated by something, we will devote all our attention to it.  That part of GWR’s character is exactly the same as mine.  As course I don’t do it to the same extent as GWR, but I think that where it comes to love and romance, we view it the same.  

Q: Because you were responsible for the drama’s opening scenes, did you feel any pressure?

CJH: I felt a lot of pressure.  Because episode 1 was entirely about Seohwa and GWR… If we did the introduction well, the drama would become interesting and would continue to flow on naturally.   Because of that I felt like I was carrying an enormous responsibility in taking on the role of GWR, at the beginning I really felt a lot of pressure.  I went to various people with many questions and they all offered me advice; I practiced a lot too.  I remember I practiced many times with the director as well.  In any case, it was a heavy burden on me. 

KoreaPo2_zps4a47831d.jpg

Q: Any special points you had to note of whilst acting?

CJH: Firstly, because this is a period drama, I had to pay attention to the way he spoke. That is because he uses words that we don’t normally use on a daily basis.  And so, I watched a lot of period dramas during that time.  I searched for the dramas myself, watched it and then tried to copy what they did.  I basically turned on the TV, scrolled through the channels and if there were period dramas showing at the time, I would carry on watching it and tried to copy what they did. 

Q: Tell us about your thoughts when you saw yourself made up as a ‘Gumiho’ for the very first time. 

CJH: The make-up team said that they were surprised I looked so good.  I didn’t think that putting on eyeliner and wearing “smoky make-up” would have suited me at first, but it didn’t turn out as bad as I’d thought (laughs).  I was really worried then.  At the beginning, they needed to stick hair onto my hands; that took about 4 hours and it was really terrible.  I couldn’t go to the toilet as I pleased, and I couldn’t drink a single drop of water.   Towards the end (of filming), they didn’t need to stick hair on me anymore and I was thinking: “Yeah! That’s great news…!” but then they needed to draw the blood vessels on my body (laughs).  That took about 1 hour.  Everything was done by hand.  

KoreaPo3_zps27a910d6.jpg

Q: How did you prepare for the action scenes?

CJH: I practiced the scenes beforehand at “Action School”.  They hung a wire on me, and we practiced before filming but because there wasn’t enough time to do so, I’d suffered a lot of injuries during the actual shoot itself.

Q: What was the most difficult scene to shoot?

CJH: There was one scene where Seohwa was being taken away by the soldiers. GWR, who was bounded by chains, could not bear with it anymore and exploded in a fit of anger; that scene alone took about 4-5 days to film.  I didn’t sleep at all during that period and we kept on filming.  Physically, I was in terrible shape.  The scene required a lot of stamina, many emotions were mixed into that one scene, and I had to explode afterwards in a fit of anger, so it was really terrible for me.  The metal chains were really painful at first, so they changed it to a plastic one.  But once I moved, it would completely fall apart with a loud “bang” so they had no choice but to replace it with the real metal chains which gave me many bruises.  Once they applied the chains on me, I couldn’t do almost everything; let alone go to the toilet.  When it’s time to eat, you have to go eat right?  At the time, I was bound by the chain to seven men and they had to untie me.  But untying me from those chains took a really long time, so I ended up eating only after everyone else (cast and crew) had already finished.  The temperature was -10 plus degrees at the time and it was extremely cold, and so I ended up eating rice which was completely frozen.  When I needed to go to the toilet, seven people had to accompany me (laughs).  The scene required me to be hung onto wires as well, so it was really the most difficult scene to shoot.   

KoreaPo4_zps6db02cb8.jpg

Q: Were there any interesting episodes that happened during filming?

CJH: The make-up for GWR is a bit scary right? The scene where Seohwa was taken away by the soldiers was filmed at a countryside in Jeolla (in Jeju Island).  There was one night when I really needed to go to the toilet, but there was only 1 public toilet on site.  When I tried to open the door, there was already someone inside so I waited outside for my turn.  Just at that moment, an old lady came out from the women’s toilet and she was scared out of her wits (laughs).  I was wearing coloured lenses at the time, my hair was tied up and standing on end, and I was wearing the traditional Korean costume.   She was so frightened, she almost fainted, so I went closer to ask her “Are you OK?” and that frightened her even more.  Everyone (all the staff) came running over…  After that, the old lady said to me: “Why on earth are you dressed in this manner!?” (laughs).

Q: Was it planned from the beginning that GWR would make a re-appearance?  If no, then what were your thoughts when it was decided that GWR would reappear?

CJH: It wasn’t planned from the beginning, but the audience were all hoping that he would make a re-appearance and the director had thought that it was logical in keeping with the flow of the story.  (When it was confirmed that I would be making a re-appearance) There was some burden.  I’d already completed filming by then, but I had to return to act as GWR who had completely changed.  When GWR re-appeared, there needed to be a great impact and I’d felt like I was entirely responsible for making sure that happened. 

Q: How was acting with Lee Yeon Hee, who acted as Seo Hwa?

CJH: GWR and Seohwa were once very happy together, but sadly they had to separate.  Before I (GWR) died, there was a scene where both of them faced each other, and I thought to myself: “She has also become completely immersed and absorbed into the role.”  Through GFB, many people have said that they have rediscovered Lee Yeon Hee and that they now look at her differently.  We got along well and I was very happy to have acted alongside her.     

Q: When Seohwa died, you cried bitterly, was filming that scene difficult?

CJH: Yes (laughs). I was crying the whole night during filming. It took around 8-9 hours to complete the scene.  For that scene, I had to change my make-up and they had to change the actress as well… To complete one take, I had to cry about 6 times.  And because we kept reshooting the scene again and again, I ended up crying throughout the night.  The next day, my voice was hoarse.  I think I cried too much (laughs).

KoreaPo5_zpsa6bb860b.jpg

Q: To film such an emotional scene, how did you prepare yourself for it prior to shooting?

CJH: In order to fully concentrate, I listened to a lot of music.  There was a lot of waiting around on set and I had time to myself.  I did not talk at all and was completely silent (laughs).  

Q: Any lines that left a deep impression on yourself?

CJH: I think that GWR had many great lines such as “She is my woman” and “Don’t touch her!”.  These were all very memorable lines.  GWR was rather serious, but he had a bright and cheerful side to him as well.  (For Seohwa’s sake) He had climbed all over the mountain to collect peaches.  I think that that part of him is extremely charming.     

Q: Please tell us about scenes you want the viewers to look out for in particular.

CJH: The sweet scenes where Seohwa and GWR were intimate with each other and the wedding scenes.  Also, the last part when Seohwa was dying.  Because my song “Best Wishes for You” was playing in the background (laughs).  It played from the start, all the way to the end.  I have to thank the director for that – for letting my song play throughout (laughs).  I didn’t think that the audience would show such great interest towards GWR. There was a recording done for commemorative purposes and the director had inserted a lot of GWR scenes inside.  I was really surprised at that. 

Q: Other than the scenes that you acted in, which other scenes left an impression on you?

CJH: GWR, Kang-chi and Yeo-wool or in other words, myself, Seung-gi and Suzy, there was a scene where the 3 of us had gathered together. Before I died I had to face Seohwa and there was a similar scene where Kangchi had to face Yeo-wool as well.   He had said: “Don’t touch my woman.”  I thought that was a really great scene too.  Of course I was there as well, but that scene… how should I say it… it really touched me deeply.  I thought it was really good.   

KoreaPo6_zps2966b2bc.jpg

Q: From now on, what sort of challenges do you want to have as an actor?  Can you tell us if there are things you want to do outside of acting?

CJH: I haven’t really thought about whether there are things I want to do outside of acting.  I am currently filming for EC and for now, I just want to finish filming the drama uneventfully.  I have thought about trying out different roles in various genres. I am appearing in a romantic comedy, EC, this time round.  Because it is physically demanding, I hope to complete filming for the drama safely.  

Q: It seems that you are quite busy, how do you take care of your own health?

CJH: I’ve been taking tonics, but it hasn’t been too effective.  I’ve been having too little sleep, because my filming schedules have been too packed.  No matter how expensive (the tonics are), it doesn’t seem to have any effect on me (laughs). 

Q: So, what do you want to do if you had time to rest?

First, I want to go travelling.  Recently, when filming for “The Heirs” I learnt how to play golf.  I want to breathe in fresh air and have time to rest and relax around nature.  Recently, I’ve always been pressed for time, so I’ve been rushing to complete things as fast as possible and I’ve been under a lot of stress.  I want to have some time to myself to spend it leisurely.  To wake up late in the mornings, to spend it idly, I want to eat sweets around the house (laughs).  Now I miss doing such things quite a bit. 

Guest mdolphins

@sunshine4ever Nice to see this article posted on this thread so that so many more people can enjoy reading it now, great idea. Love this drama, it was one of the best of 2013. Also, my heart did a happy dance every time Wol Ryung made his awesome entrance onto the screen!!!!! :x

Also, thanks @celes80 for taking the time to translate the article, I really enjoyed reading it.  >:D<

• 1 month later...
Guest mdolphins

I just started watching it again for the second time and I still love it. The first two episodes just kill me though, they are so sad. =((

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest cindya1430294447

I hope there'll be a season 2 with the same lead casts, at least for characters like Kang chi, Yeo Wool and Gon. It was a great ending, but still, there should be more for the development of current Kang Chi and Yeo Wool story. Even though it'll take years, I still hope that MBC will someday make season 2 for this drama.

• 4 months later...
Guest kyung-jin

10 K-dramas featuring the hottest K-pop female idols

by CoCo Kdrama on Tue, Apr 14, 2015

The queens of K-pop are rising in fame internationally, and not just for their catchy music. Many of our recent K-drama leading ladies actually got their start as idols, or are currently hot on both scenes. To celebrate their success, we have partnered with Spotify to curate the K-pop Idols: Ladies Edition playlist!  Follow DramaFever on Spotify to hear the hottest songs from these female powerhouses and see some of your favorite K-Pop idols as leading ladies in these 10 amazing K-dramas.

2. Gu Family Book, starring Bae Su Ji (Suzy) of Miss A

Gu-Family-Book-korean-dramas-34521121-12

When Yoon Seo Hwa (Lee Yeon Hee) falls for Gu Wol Ryung (Choi Jin Hyuk) the guardian spirit of the Jiri mountains, their doomed love quickly blossoms in the form of their child, Kang Chi (Lee Seung Gi). As a newborn, Kang Chi is sent down a river, and is raised amongst humans. Life is normal as he works for Park Moo Sol (Uhm Hyo Sup) at the Hundred Year Inn, until he realizes his otherworldly nature: he’s neither completely human, nor a true gumiho. When tragedy befalls his loved ones, Kang Chi realizes he'll need to control his newfound power in order to protect his family and come to terms with his unique identity.

Source: http://www.dramafever.com/news/10-k-dramas-featuring-the-hottest-k-pop-female-idols-/

• 1 year later...
On April 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM, honeywell said:

The only reason Im concerned about YW and KC is because its such a one sided love right now for YW. You can see that she's falling for KC. Meanwhile it seems like it's a mutual love between KC and CJ. I just wonder what will eventually break KC's love for CJ.

Yeo Wools personality her beauty as a young woman and her awesome skills 

Archived