October 30, 2012: 49th Grand Bell Awards (2012 Daejong Film Festival) 제49회 대종상영화제

rubie

October 31, 2012
“Masquerade” Sweeps Out 49th Daejong Film Awards
Reporter : Lee Hye Ji Editor : Monica Suk KSTAR10
“Masquerade,” the second 2012 Korean film passed over ten-million-audience milestone, dominated major segments of the oldest Korean film award ceremony last night.
The faction costume drama grabbed a total of 15 trophies out of 23, including the ceremony’s main awards Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Supporting actor at the 49th Daejong Film Awards Ceremony held at the KBS Hall in Seoul, Korea on October 30.
Kim Ki-duk’s Venice-winning pic “Pieta” went home with only two glories, Jury Prize for the film auteur and Best Actress for the pic’s heroin Cho Min-soo.
“The Thieves,” the biggest local box office hit this year so far, brought the Best Supporting Actress award to its middle-aged queen actress Kim Hae-sook. while the honor of Rookie Actor and Rookie Actress went to “My Neighbor” star Kim Sun-Kyun and “Eungyo” starlet Kim Go-eun respectively. 
Hosted by KBS “Ohlala Couple” Shin Hyun-joon and Kim Jung-eun, the 180-minute award ceremony featured K-pop stars’ performance by Park Jin-young, SISTAR and TVXQ!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 31, 2012
The 'Daejong Film Awards' are Taken Over by 'Masquerade'
CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo  Translation Credit: Erika Kim  
Masquerade won the awards for Best Director, Male Supporting Actor, Editing, Popularity, Design, Lighting, Scenario, Costume, Artwork, Audio, Music, Filming, Video, Male Lead Actor and Best Film at the 49th Daejong Film Awards, practically swepping in all the awards it could get its hands on.
The Thieves, which recorded the biggest audience in Korean film history, and Pieta, which won the Leone D′Oro at the Venice Film Festival, only won the Best Female Lead Actor Award (Kim Hae Suk) and the Judges′ Special Award.
The Daejong Film Awards were held on October 30, hosted by MCs Shin Hyeon Jun and Kim Jung Eun. This day, the biggest actors and actresses in Korea gathered to be at the most grand film festival of the year.
The day was swallowed by Masquerade. It took over almost all of the most weighted awards, and at this, Shin Hyeon Jun was led to repeat again and again, "This really is a day for Masquerade."
The string of awards for Masquerade started with the Costume and Artwork award. Costume directors Kwon Yoo Jin and Im Seung Hee, and art director Oh Heung Suk stood onstage to thank everyone for what would be the start of a flood of awards for the film.
Editor Nam Na Young, scriptwriter Hwang Jo Yoon, supporting actor Ryu Seung Ryong, music director Kim Jun Sung, designer Im Sang Jin, video director Lee Tae Yoon, video technician Jung Jae Hoon, lighting director Oh Seung Chul, audio director Lee Sang Joon and Lee Byung Hun all went on to win their awards for their work with Masquerade.
Director Kim Ki Duk and a judge for the Daejong Film Awards of the same name clarified, "We believe there will be suspicions on why the awards have been given to one specific piece. We used to judge each piece and then compare each area, but this week, whenever the screening of a film ended, we put down our scores, sealed the envelopes and kept them in a safe. Even I, the judge for the ceremony, didn′t know this would yield such results. Since we didn′t get to compare, we didn′t know which piece would be winning which award. We hope you understand."
Even after the comments were made, the awards for Masquerade didn′t stop coming. Director Choo Chang Min won the Best Director Award, and Lee Byung Hun also won the Best Lead Actor award. The film then topped the day with a win for Best Film, sweeping through a total of 15 categories in all.
201210302212581116_1.jpg

October 31, 2012
Lee Byung Hun and Jo Min Su Become the Best Actor and Actress at the 'Daejong Film Awards'
CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim  
Lee Byung Hun and Jo Min Su won the awards for Best Actor and Best Actress at the 49th Daejong Film Awards.
Lee Byung Hun also had more reason to celebrate, as his film Masquerade sweeped 15 awards this day.
73787199.jpg
The Daejong Film Awards were held on October 30 in Yeoido.
At the ceremony, Lee Byung Hun won two awards, the Best Actor Award and Popularity Award. His Best Actor Award was his first at the Daejong Film Awards, making it an even more memorable day for him. He, however, wasn′t able to attend the ceremony in person as he was in London shooting his film Red 2.
The Best Actress Award went to Jo Min Su of Pieta, the film that won the Leone D′Oro at the 69th Venice Film Festival. With this, she won the award she wasn′t able to despite getting the most points from the judges at the Venice Film Festival, due to the ceremony′s rules that one film can′t win in more than one area.
Jo Min Su said, "I′m about to cry but I′ll try not to. My nephew told me that a lot of his friends don′t know me, so I should work harder. Now, though, he said they know me. I believe most actors will always be happy when their names are called. I want to thank director Kim Ki Duk of Pieta and my family. The 24 staff members also helped me stand here in this spot. I thank you so much."
Photo credit: enews, Kim Byung Kwan

October 31, 2012
'Gwanghae' sweeps Daejong Film Awards
The Korea Herald
Period drama starring Lee Byung-hun wins 15 prizes, director Kim leaves venue, raising speculation about why
Director Choo Chang-min’s period drama “Gwanghae: the Man Who Became the King” (Masquerade) swept the 49th Daejong Film (Grand Bell) Film Awards on Tuesday, winning 15 prizes including the best picture, best director and best actor. Meanwhile, Venice film fest-winning “Pieta” director Kim Ki-duk left during the ceremony. 
Kim’s “Pieta,” which had been nominated for six awards, including best director and best picture, received the best actress award. Director Kim was given a special jury prize for the bleak morality tale, but left the venue before his name was announced. Kim is said to have left for “health reasons,” and the film’s producer Kim Soon-mo received the prize on his behalf.
20121031001379_0.jpgDirector Kim Ki-duk arrives at the 49th Daejong Film Awards at KBS Hall on Tuesday. (Yonhap News)
“He left out of the blue without telling any of us,” said Park Jun-kyung from NEW, the local distributor of “Pieta.”
Producer Kim was unavailable for comment. NEW said they are not sure whether Kim had been notified from the organizers about his winning of the special jury prize. Many local media outlets have speculated that Kim left the venue as he was upset about not winning other awards that “Pieta” had been nominated for.
“Gwanghae” tells the engaging story of King Gwanghae, the 15th ruler of Joseon (1392-1910). Mega hallyu star Lee Byung-hun played dual roles for the film, as the king and the fictional Ha-sun, a street actor who ends up standing in for the ruler when he is poisoned and taken ill. 
The movie surpassed the 10 million mark in attendance earlier this month, becoming the second local film this year to reach the milestone after “The Thieves.” Its producer and distributor CJ E&M spent 3 billion won just on the marketing of the film, on top of 6 billion won spent on production. The company was criticized for its hold on theaters for the movie, as CJ CGV, the largest multiplex chain in Korea, is its division. 
Actor Lee, who could not attend the ceremony at the KBS Hall as he is shooting a Hollywood action-comedy “Red 2” in London, England, received two prizes for the role in the film: the best actor and special popularity prizes. 
The film also won the best costume design, best editing, best screenplay and best sound mixing awards 
“I’d like to thank all the crew members, actors and actresses,” said director Choo after receiving the best director prize on Tuesday.
“I’d also like to thank all the viewers of this film, as well as my loving parents and my wife.”
Meanwhile, actress Cho Min-soo won the top prize for her role in Kim Ki-duk’s Venice-winning film “Pieta.” In the film, she starred as the mysterious woman who visits a loan shark and claims to be his long-lost, biological mother. 
20121031001380_0.jpgCho Min-soo walks the red carpet at the 49th Daejong Film Awards at KBS Hall on Tuesday. She won Best Actress for her performance in Kim Ki-duk’s “Pieta.” (Yonhap News)
“I wouldn’t be standing here if I did not work with director Kim, my co-star Lee Jeong-jin, and the 24 crew members of this movie,” the actress said after receiving the best actress prize. “This film ‘Pieta’ has given me so many precious memories.”
Up-and-coming actress Kim Go-eun won the best new actress prize for her performance as the reckless high school girl who falls for a poet in his 70s in Jeong Ji-woo’s erotic drama “Eungyo.”
“This is such an honor and I’m overwhelmed,” said Kim, tearing up. “I’d like to thank those who have been very supportive.”
Actor Kim Seong-kyun, who starred as the serial killer in Kim Hwi’s thriller “The Neighbor” won the best new actor for the role. 
Actor Ryu Seung-ryong won the best supporting actor prize for his performance in “Gwanghae,” while actress Kim Hae-sook won best supporting actress for her role as one of the thieves in Choi Dong-hun’s star-studded blockbuster “The Thieves.”
Meanwhile, film producer and director Kimjo Gwangsu openly criticized the juries and organizers of the awards via his Twitter account, calling the annual event unfair. 
“I think it’s rather a dishonor to win the prizes,” he wrote. “Anyone who can actually think in the film industry would not care about the awards.”
By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldcorp.com)

October 31, 2012
'Masquerade' Sweeps Daejong Film Awards
ChosunIlbo
2012103101244_0.jpgLee Byung-hun (left) and Cho Min-soo
"Masquerade" directed by Choo Chang-min on Tuesday made a clean sweep of the major categories of the 49th Daejong Film Awards. 
Nominated in 14 categories, it won all of them -- Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Costume Design, Best Art Design, Best Music, Best Sound Effects, Best Lighting, Best Editing, Best Production, Best Cinematography, and Best Visual Effects. On top of that it bagged the Popularity Award. 
The film, which had drawn 11 million viewers as of Tuesday, is a costume drama in which a clown who resembles Gwanghae, the 15th king of the Chosun Dynasty, steps in for the king. 
Lee Byung-hun, who plays the dual role of the king and the clown, won Best Actor, and Ryu Seung-ryong, who played the chief secretary, Best Supporting Actor. 
Among prizes that did not go to "Masquerade," Cho Min-soo, the heroine of Golden Lion winner "Pieta" grabbed the Best Actress award, and Kim Hae-sook from "The Thieves" Best Supporting Actress. 
Choi Jong-tae, director of "Hand in Hand," won Best New Director. Best New Actor award went to Kim Sung-kyun for "The Neighbors," and Best New Actress went to Kim Go-eun, who starred in "A Muse."

Archived