Why aren't you posting anymore?

Guest knockblock

I don't because I'm a single mom, working and making a move to Chile, I really don't have much time anymore as well as I'm not into most of the stuff talked about on the forum except maybe technology and current events. The soompi network subforum doesn't even have anything related to south america on there anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's many reasons why soompi as a whole seems like it's dying, and a lot of it has been touched upon already.  I agree many of the people who used to post here just got older and moved on.  I'm already in the 20s myself, and although I still like kpop and have time to roam around the forums, I understand that many people don't have that kind of leisure time and the demands of real life can be quite pressing.  Many others have just moved on from kpop.  And while all the old posters are leaving, the new posters are finding other websites to frequent.  People are always more attracted to newer things.  I mean I see this in idol groups as well.  If made to choose between an older group that made a comeback that was not as popular when they first debuted, and a completely new group fresh off the company press, it's more than likely that newer fans will rush to the newer group rather than the older one (even if the older group predated them and they've never heard of them in the first place).  I see the same thing happening for fans of current idol groups.  When a new group pops up they just tend to migrate over to the new fandom.  I think it's just easier going into a new forum and establishing your own community there rather than just sticking your head into an already formed community.  You don't feel as left out and might not feel like you're missing out on things because you were a latecomer in the group.  So instead of joining soompi, which is already well established, I think many users might just choose to frequent newer forums that popped up right around when these people decided to join kpop (I would guess around 09-10 is when kpop started to gain more traction and attention).
Competition from other forums also has a lot to do with it.  Kpop is much bigger now than it was even when I first started to get into it.  There are so many more forums and places nowadays to get your information that there really isn't a need to come to soompi to get it.  I mean back when I first joined this community, international forums were scarce, and if you wanted a place to get your news soompi was the place to do it.  Even without allkpop or hallyu8 and the likes, I think international forums centered on groups also has a lot to do with it.  I would guess most people, though they might like a plethora of groups, would probably truly love/follow a couple of them.  As so it would kind of be unnecessary for them to go to a forum to get their daily news fix, I mean, there's a whole international forum dedicated to said idol group, why not just sign up there and get all the information i need?  Not to mention in that kind of community you know for sure that everyone there shares the same fandom and same interests as you.  I also think that giveaways and increased chances to interact with idols kind of adds on to people frequenting those other forums.  I mean, free stuff is always nice, and free stuff from your bias group is even better!  And after you joined a forum to participate in their giveaway, you might as well stay.  International forums also participate in projects for their idols and I think a lot of people are interested in stuff like that, which gives them a greater reason to stay on other forums rather than frequent soompi.
All in all, I feel like many factors has caused soompi to slow these past couple of years, and as others have stated, the sluggishness of the forums has caused me not to want to post either.  I mean even in this thread, the last post was in the beginning of the month, I almost didn't even want to bother posting here, but might as well.

The other forums aren't faring much better. Beyond the central K-pop topics, I skimmed through their general off-topic sections and saw the same inactivity and predictable topics trying to spur interest. Don't understand the snobbish elitism some of them hold either against this place being old and whatnot—we're simply ahead of the inevitable result for message boards. 

There's little intersection between a very narrow interest and other parts of life. The same problem for a Mercedes-Benz specific forum or a Beatles specific forum—the initial audience draw is limited and then trying to extract similar general interests out of those who want to expose them is a hassle. Eventually all the random things that can be covered will be exhausted by the thousands seeking to find common likes and slowly, replies from the same old characters become as predictable as the sunrise. Talk about school? Work? News and politics? What one had for dinner? What to buy next? Most people probably are dead tired of this cheap talk in real-life and see no compelling reason to transcribe what they find agonizing to verbalize a response to in-person. 
Forums/message boards were a place I could use to escape. I knew most people around me in the real world would not be around in such online communities and interacting with someone else a continent away on high-school existential nihilism or the meaning of democracy was awesome. But now it seems we merely introduce gutter thoughts into a giant pool without consideration for what the residual side effects may be. Me, my problems, my expectation for an answer, my desire to want news or music now, etc. Add to the effect that anonymity severs emotional connection so most of these words are simply written for the archives and web crawlers. (Much like this reply) 
Do you care to do anything about it? And what does that care often result in if even recognized? The butt-end of a joke (emotional manipulation), indifference, apathy, contempt, scorn, and feelings that arise when you devote too much time and effort into something bound disintegrate with time. In any case, enjoy it while it lasts.

• 2 months later...

Quite an old thread, but I would attribute this to people growing out of Kpop.
Kpop is most likely what drove people to Soompi, and naturally, these people grew out of it. They've simply lost interest in being active anymore in what /is/ really a primarily Kpop forum. 
Not to say that Kpop still isn't large, but it seems the older generation has moved on and now there's a seemingly younger generation taking over the forums, with a more focused interest in Kpop than anything else. I would say that the Hallyu wave has reached an even younger audience than ever and with the internet being more accessible to this younger audience, they're the ones flocking to Soompi while "us" older generations have simply grown tired of it all.

Archived