[Hong Kong TVB Drama 2012] Highs and Lows 雷霆掃毒

sugarplum892

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 26px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"TVB Plays with 'Gang Rape' Again, Netizens Criticize Lacks Seriousness & CreativityFriday November 9, 2012 Hong KongSource: Oriental Daily, On.cc, HKChannelTranslated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net351bc6c.jpgRecently there has been some 'heavy after taste' in TVB series. It appears TVB is trying to boost the TV ratings with a chain of rape scenes! Earlier there was Kate Tsui's 'one second gang rape' scene in Highs and Lows and yesterday Tavia Yeung gets 'raped' by three men in anniversary series Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles. Her rapist played by Law Mong forcefully took her virginity, then laughed lasciviously, "Looks like you're still a virgin!" In the series, the rapist seriously wounded Tavia's character and she became infertile.
Netizens were outraged and criticized TVB's rape scenes, making it seem as if the production is not taken seriously. Netizens scolded: "It's either a 1 second scene or it's pitch black!" Additionally, Netizens were upset and disappointed that TVB's recent series have so much 'heavy after taste', lacks creativity and many scenes are inconsistent too!
As Ella Koon said before, audience are psychos for wanting to see rape scenes. In fact, TVB is the most psychotic. Aside from Kate and Tavia, earlier Aimee Chan had a rape scene in The Last Steep of Ascent and she ended up becoming pregnant as a result. In addition, there are still two more unreleased series that have rape scenes in it. These include Natalie Tong in Detective Columbo and Samantha Ko in Friendly Fire. Natalie joked: "I do pretty well in rape scenes, and I'm getting a hang of seducing others too." TVB, enough raping already, isn't it time to put a stop to it? 

Jen. said: @Aziraphale haha I actually think Raymond's doing okay. In my opinion, it's his best character ever since HOG, or at least the most decent one. I haven't liked any of his series/characters since, uh, well for a long time now. And yeahh, I agree with Kate. I was neutral towards her before but I'm starting to like her more now. She's doing pretty good and her character's background seems really interesting, a lot of depth. It would definitely be a breakthrough if she doesn't disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 26px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Kate Tsui has Hope to Seize a "Double 8" - TV Queen & My Favorite Character awardsSunday November 25, 2012 Hong KongSource: Oriental Daily, On.ccTranslated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net/forums/
1vzr1.jpg aewa2.jpgLast night, Kate Tsui and Alice Chan attended the magazine FLASHon party at W Hotel to celebrate their second anniversary. It was a star-studded party with many celebrities, singers, models and other well-known figures in attendance including TVB executive Virgina Lok, EEG chairman Albert Yeung and his daughter, Donnie Yen, Carina Lau, Hilary Tsui, Kary Ng, Aarif Lee, Janice Man, Kelvin Chan, Rosemary and many more.
Kate was accompanied by Virgina Lok the whole night, but Kate denied that she's being favored: "There are so many people in TVB, Miss Lok loves all of us. This time, the organizers invited both of us to attend together, but I know she loves me too. Tonight, I saw a lot of friends and will try my best to get more votes for TV Queen." She reveals she is number "8" on the "Best Actress" and "My Favorite TV Female Character" award nominations and joked 8 is a lucky number. At the party, Kate met martial arts superstar Donnie Yen, and got his vote for the TV Queen title.
Earlier it was said Kate going to become TV Queen for sure and got her competitor Tavia Yeung upset, therefore she didn't attend the TVB Anniversary Gala show. Kate said: "Of course not, nor can we believe those types of news. We all know Tavia got injured and TVB is really understanding, she should rest more."
Also, Alice Chan's first TVB series Friendly Fire is airing soon, she frankly expressed she feels a lot of pressure because she used a completely new acting style to portray her villian role, she said: "I'm so anxious to see the audience reactions!" As for the Christmas holidays, Alice said she and her husband are both busy with their own work, so they won't be able to celebrate together this year. 

Initially, I only wanted to watch this series because I'm a die-hard Ella Koon fan (I believe that this is one of her comeback roles) but I was wishing that she had a bigger role in the series. 
I wasn't originally a big fan of Kate Tsui, either, but I have to admit that she really impressed me with this series. I thought that the series was pretty good overall, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't watching it mostly because of the ships. With that said, I was really rooting for Ella and Raymond, or Ella and Ben, or Ella with anyone, really. 
I thought that the storyline was pretty cliche, as far as TVB goes, but it did do what it was supposed to, and that was to entertain me. It was quite interesting what they did to Kate's character towards the end, however, and I was hoping for the opposite to happen to her.
The only disappointment for me was Raymond's character. At times, I found him to be rather hypocritical and more trouble than he was worth. But admittedly, this is a different role than what he normally plays so I thought that it was great for him to try something else. 

Archived