Help. New netbook?

Guest forever_young

Guest forever_young

Hi All,

I need suggestions on which netbook to buy for work. I wont be downloading any music/videos/photos. This is strictly for
work. Mainly using 2 databases. I currently have a mac but need internet explorer to work from home.

Any suggestions on a decent netbook under $300?

Thanks!

Are you getting a netbook just to run IE? Hope not as you can just run Windows on your Mac. Also, if you must get a PC, you'd be better off spending maybe a $100 more and getting a budget laptop. Netbooks are pretty much obsolete these days.

Guest forever_young

dot1q said: Are you getting a netbook just to run IE? Hope not as you can just run Windows on your Mac. Also, if you must get a PC, you'd be better off spending maybe a $100 more and getting a budget laptop. Netbooks are pretty much obsolete these days.

^ Yeah that is old. Maybe it can but not sure. Since your Mac is so old, would you be able to invest in replacing your Mac? Obviously the newer Macs can easily dual boot Windows. It just seems like a waste to blow $3-500 just for work and limited use. It may be out of your budget but I think its much better money spent. I would personally even credit/borrow to just get a new Macbook. By the way, this is assuming you even still want a Mac. Even more budget friendly would be to get a comparable PC/laptop. Either way, my suggestion is to spend a little more and replace your current laptop (not just a add-on laptop/netbook for work).

I do realize that netbooks' popularity is dying. But I love mine, I bought it about a year ago. I have a desktop so I had no need for an expensive laptop -- and just wanted something for school. These were my criterias (in order) 

• long battery life (~5-6 hours+) 
  • one that isn't heavy. 
  • one that was around $300. 

After doing some research, I ended up getting the asus seashell 1008HA. I had for a year and right now, it lasts 5 hours and this is when it's on the power-saver mode. When I first got it, I think it lasted me like 6-8? (but to be fair, I take really good care of it. when I use it plugged it, I don't use it with the battery, when it finishes charging, I take out the battery straightaway. I don't plug it in until it runs out completely or very low etc) I had no problems with it whatsoever and it's fairly light. I also personally really like it because it's in light pink but that's kind of an extra. aha. I got it for $280. You can find this netbook for about $250 but I wanted it in pink so I put in the extra $30. :P
Here's a link from the official site: http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_1008HA_Seashell/ 
The only issue with it is that it's a little small (10.1 inch) so after using my desktop and going to my netbook, it feels a little small. So you might want to go for 11.6 inches or so if you are going to be looking at it all day for work. 
Some of my friends complain about the keyboard because it's like 95% of the original keyboard? But I have no issues with that because I have pretty small hands... lol. I can use a kid sized mouse without a lot of trouble lol. But I know that there are ones that are like much more closer to the original size (my brother has one by asus that is... I just forgot the model name) 
Also, if you really want good opinions, you should write down exactly what types of criteria are important for you, and then google types that would best match that. like for me I searched netbooks with really high battery power and then filtered by price. (the weight wasn't that big of a deal because all netbooks are fairly light) I also checked out some computer forums (basically went on google and typed "netbooks high battery power forum") because soompi isn't your best resource when it comes to computers.. just fyi. 

Archived