Is it advised to not tell a girl if she is pretty or cute?

Guest Kerriganton

Guest knockblock

Unless a girl is begging to be told she is pretty, cute, or whatever I don't tell her.

I don't say it to a girl because I don't want to give myself away. Especially if it's a girl I could potentially get with.

Guest showoff

Attractive people hear that they're pretty/handsome/cute/sexy all the time.  I didn't follow my own advice recently and told a girl that I was dating that I thought she was pretty (didn't use those exact words, but that was the gist of it)... major turnoff for her, the dynamic changed immediately and we're probably not going to see each other after our already-planned date on Saturday.

If you can control it, don't outright tell a girl she's attractive when she's CLEARLY leagues ahead of everyone else in that department... she was hoping I was different from all the other guys, but instead, I became Creep #47634 to her.

Guest showoff

Compliments given to men, I have to imagine, are dwarfed by the number of compliments given to women; society says that the guy should pursue.  I know that it's 2012 and more women are taking the initiative and making the first move, but in general, I feel that men still do the vast majority of the pursuing, thus, the balance of power is shifted dramatically in the female's favor (ie. they don't need to say anything to the guy).

Personally, I would like to hear a woman compliment me (on anything) as most women I've come across are comfortable with guys essentially auditioning for their time, while offering very little in return.

Guest bona fide*

I remember calling one of my exes cute. He hated it cause both him and his brother thought it should only be used to describe "babies and animals". He was like "why don't you ever call me hot or handsome?" Seriously? Just take the compliment lol.

Guest showoff

Meh, beggars can't be choosers.  Your guy either had a gaggle of girls constantly showering praise on him or he just doesn't know that compliments come few and far between for the vast majority of guys (even the decent looking ones).

Guest vivdrkblm

Bad sign to be called cute when you're Korean and live in Korea because it means you ain't. Also, if the girl is OVERLY pretty and know she's really pretty....I suggest not. Most likely she'll be bored. BUT, there are some girls who don't believe they are. So, compliments are harmless.

Guest xreriri

I don't usually hate people told I am pretty or cute from guys I am not dating, or strangers... or girls. :D It really makes me feel good. And tbh it feeds my ego a bit, but saying something nice really helps. We all know (us) females struggle with our appearance, so it helps being complimented. However, I do not like it when people tell me I am pretty and try to pick me up... or tell me I am pretty in a creepy way. Like one time this guy I never met just sent me a message saying, "Hello oh gosh you're so pretty like an Angel God brought you down. Are you a model?" Okay lol taking it too far. (>_<)

Guest <3StrawberryPocky<3

I always appreciate people having the courage to express their feelings. My boyfriend tells any girl he sees and thinks that's cute/pretty straight to her face that she's cute/pretty, and it's admirable in my opinion that he has the guts to do that. I certainly don't have it in me to walk up to a guy and say, "You're really good looking."

When I get complimented though, it always boosts my ego a little regardless of hearing it from strangers, friends, girls, or guys. The only and I repeat ONLY time I considered it creepy was when a 50 year old man got on his knee in front of me in a train station and started complimenting me in poem verse....

Archived