Title: Blind

Directed by: Tamar van den Dop

Written by: Tamar van den Dop

Starring: Joren Seldeslachts, Halina Reijn

Year: 2007

Land: Netherlands, Belgium

Language: Dutch

SYNOPSIS:

Ruben (Joren Seldeslachts) is a lone and unbalanced young man who lost his sight in childhood. Marie (Halina Reijn) is an albino woman of temperate look and with a lot of insecurities. She has a beautiful voice and along with Ruben shares a mutual love for books and tales. Ruben's mother hires her as a reader to read her son books orally. While they live in a mansion, between these two lonely souls sparks love, but will love still be blind if the man recovers from his blindness?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_(2007_film)

MY THOUGHTS:

I came across this achingly touching movie a couple years ago. I'd had no experience with Dutch films whatsoever and didn't expect anything from this movie but just few minutes into watching this I became completely mesmerized by the gorgeous cinematography, evocative music (which was sadly never released as an official album) and the achingly intimate love story that develops between the main couple.

Ruben and Marie, I immediately fell in love with them. They are so similar, both broken inside and out, however, each of them dealing with it differently. He is rich, young and handsome, his mother's beloved son who had lost his sight in childhood, as a result he became angry tortured young man, cast into darkness, unable to tolerate presence of anyone. Marie, on the other hand, is an albino woman in her thirties, who was as a child mutilated and scarred by her own mother who couldn't bear that her daughter was different, maybe even being jealous of her outlandish but still beautiful looks, thus constantly telling Marie how ugly she was this psychlogical and physical abuse cause Marie to feel very insecure in front of people, usually never daring to show herself to them much less her face.

It's an intimate story with very few characters, realistic but at the same time fairytale-like. Blind is a masterpiece that is likely to take your heart.

TRAILER:

THE BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF MUSIC THAT I LOVE:

PHOTOS:

2aez0oj.pngsy5e85.png

OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

http://www.blinddefilm.nl/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a lurker but I must comment on this one. It's such an amazingly touching movie :x The music and cinematography are excellent and the main couple seems so real. You can understand why they fell in love with each other :x

• 7 months later...
Guest Anomalous

@briseis   I'm starting to watch this now. I hope you don't mind if I do my own recap/reaction as I go along. I'm unsure if we are doing a movie night for this movie, so I'm going to do this on my own instead. :D  Here we go! By the way, how I wish there is an HD version to this movie because it's so beautiful and needs to be capture on screen caps. :))

Make yourself comfortable here  >:D< !!! I doubt we will be doing a movie night for this particular movie because only 5 people asked for the link and I'm going take it down on Sunday and unfortunately @farstrep didn't manage to download it because of slow connection  :-<. This is the only version there is to be found I think the production didn't even release the film on BlueRay. Enjoy the movie  :D !
By the way, do you play to watch Jang Ok Jung? I'm totally addicted to it and the addiction already reached the Faith level :x.

Guest Anomalous

briseis said: Make yourself comfortable here  >:D< !!! I doubt we will be doing a movie night for this particular movie because only 5 people asked for the link and I'm going take it down on Sunday and unfortunately @farstrep didn't manage to download it because of slow connection  :-<. This is the only version there is to be found I think the production didn't even release the film on BlueRay. Enjoy the movie  :D !
By the way, do you play to watch Jang Ok Jung? I'm totally addicted to it and the addiction already reached the Faith level :x.

Guest Anomalous

iEehmhY0uelzc.gif

We begin the movie with a glimpse of a very pale girl, who is looking at herself through a cracked mirror. There is no sound in the background, and thus, it gives off a very eerie vibe for me. Already I can see that she's a tortured soul.

Guest Anomalous

ibswxsqm3XJ8fY.jpg

i6Fvzf3YPFUwM.jpg

iblntX6wYe0HXO.jpg

ibf3oR6hyVqk1g.jpg

The scene switches to a wintry landscape and we get a glimpse of a big mansion. We hear a young man screaming in the background as he warns someone to stay away from him and not to look at him. The exterior and interior of this mansion is giving me the familiar feeling of Jane Eyre and Secret Garden. My head is screaming gothic. It has been a while since I've seen a good gothic/romance movie. :D

Guest farstrep

Thank you, @Anomalous and @briseis!! :x :x I really wanted to watch the movie but couldn't download it. The stills and gifs would help tremendously in satisfying my craving. :P

Guest Anomalous

Sorry, I went off to eat for a bit. ;))  Continuing on with my recap. :D

@briseis   Looks like I need to check out the drama. :))  So much to watch, but so little time. :((

izJNwrZeDQT9G.gif

Our first glimpse of the hero. He's a violent, young man, even his mother is quite afraid and cautious around him. As you notice, he likes darkness, and thus his room is covered completely by heavy curtains with barely any lights. Right now I'm getting a vibe of a wounded animal from him. :D

Guest farstrep

Like the mansion, which is located in a remote area, the man is also isolated from other people.

ibswxsqm3XJ8fY.jpg

EDIT:
@Anomalous: I have problems with Soupy as well.

Guest Anomalous

Uh, is something wrong with Soupy today? I was kicked out for several minutes just now. It looks like today's recap will not go smoothly. :))

iKbOnt1kwvglz.gif

For some reason, Ruben, our hero, doesn't like to be look at. He acts out violently when his maid tries to give him a bath. He bit her. ;))  It seems his mother has a hard time finding someone willing to look after him. I see his mother using a cane to support herself as she walks, I wonder if she has some disabilities herself. And what about his father? There is no mention of a father as yet, and no siblings either.  :-?

Guest Anomalous

farstrep said: Like the mansion, which is located in a remote area, the man is also isolated from other people.

ibswxsqm3XJ8fY.jpg

EDIT:
@Anomalous: I have problems with Soupy as well.

Guest farstrep

@Anomalous: If I manage to download it, I will do a recap for it. *fingers crossed* You are not writing nonsense. Your commentary allows me to understand what's going on in the scene even though I haven't watched it yet.

Well, I'll be here all day, so take your time. Aja fighting!! :-bd

Guest Anomalous

iGWdx3ozaJ5xy.gif

OMG! This scene reminds me of a wounded puppy so much. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter and this was how those cute dogs reacted after they were tortured or mistreated by their owners. I seriously wonder what has happened to him in the past. Oh, we also find out he is blind. =((

Taking a short break to upload the movie. PM me if you want links. :D  This movie should be enjoy by everyone. :-bd

Guest arch00

hello @farstrep @Anomalous @brises  :-h :-h 
farstrep from where are you guys watching? i did not find the links? 

Archived