Easy DIY Baby Onesies with Necktie / Bowtie / custom stencil

soomp

When you get to a certain age, everyone and their mom starts having babies, which means A LOT of baby gifts.
In fact, 3 out of my 4 closest girlfriends are having boys in a span of 3 weeks :o
I saw a lot of these onesies with ties on Pinterest & Etsy a while back, and finally got around to making some.
The hardest part is standing around at the fabric store trying to choose your fabrics. You only need a tiny bit of fabric for each, so I bought some Fat Quarters (18 x 22 inch pieces of fabric they sell for quilting and crafts) - each one could probably make like 8-10 ties (guestimate).
The onesies are from Target - the brand is Precious Firsts by Carters. These are much nicer quality than other multi-pack onesies like Gerbers, and come in packs of 3-4, depending on the style.
I washed both the onesies and fabrics to account for shrinkage.
7753845888_0819542f00_z.jpg
Here are the patterns I used:
Bowtie: mostly this tutorial, except I hand-sewed the seam (I don't know how to use a sewing machine), and also created the center bunch with loose stiches (like a gather), as in this tutorialThis one seriously takes like 15 minutes.
Necktie: tutorial - this one would take 10 minutes, except that I hand-sewed the stitches around with 2 strands of embroidery thread in a nice bright color for cute.
I plan on making a 80's-style skinny tie version as well.

I'm also going to make some custom stencil onesies using freezer paper - looks very easy, just need to track down some freezer paper! (Target doesn't carry it, but I hear Walmart and many grocery stores do). Freezer paper is like wax paper, but the wax (plastic?) is only on one side.how-to-make-a-stencil1.jpg
Will update as my collection grows!

• 2 weeks later...

so cute!
and i agree with @fabrications. lol. everyone i know around my age is getting married or having babies.. and I dont feel like we are at that age yet xD but since everyone is having babies I think this is such an awesome idea.  I think I might do this when I have the time.  all the ones you made are adooooooorbs (love the soompi one!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived