[Movie 2012] Runway Cop / Detective Cha 차형사

pechumori

[Preview] Kang Ji Hwan’s ‘Detective Cha’ Brings on Fits of Laughter

2012.05.31  CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung Translation Credit : Erika Kim

It was all Kang Ji Hwan. He showcased his comical acting in 7th Grade Civil Servant, and again recently he ′ruined′ himself for his film, Detective Cha.

Detective Cha is a comedy film about how the fat and dirty detective Cha Chul Soo transforms into a model when he is told to sneak onto the runway for a case.

In the process, Cha Chul Soo meets the fashion designer Ko Young Jae (Sung Yuri) and falls in love.

1003763_198045300364268_587221730_n.jpg

Because it’s a comedy film, the story is simple. Some parts don’t even line up properly, but logic isn’t very important in this film. You should just lay back, relax and laugh with the scenes. You also get glimpses of the eye candy models Lee Soo Hyuk, Kim Young Gwang and Shin Min Chul on top of that.

For the Cha Chul Soo role, Kang Ji Hwan gained 12kg and then lost the weight while shooting the film. All women probably know about the pains of dieting, and they probably have an idea of how difficult it would’ve been trying to lose 12kg in a short time during a film shoot.

Kang Ji Hwan also revealed during a press roundtable for the film that “It was most difficult to gain and then lose weight.”

The scene where Kang Ji Hwan says “It’s because I’m hungry” in the film probably doesn’t come from his acting; it probably comes from stark reality.

There are other indications in the film that shows Kang Ji Hwan really did his best. Cha Chul Soo is fat, dirty and pretty unstylish, and Kang Ji Hwan had to go all out for this role.

Just looking at his astronomical fashions bring on fits of laughter. Once, he wore a Batman belt on trousers, and stuffed the bottom of his trousers in his socks. His corduroy suit, the best set of clothes he dons on his way to meet the fashion designer, are also out of this world. His greasy hair looks like they would yield bottles of oil if squeezed.

As the story progresses, however, Kang Ji Hwan undergoes a complete transformation. He becomes a decent guy with the help of his six packs and Ko Young Jae’s style.

It makes you think it would be so great if all of the guys like Cha Chul Soo could be changed like this so easily.

Kang Ji Hwan said, “I ruined myself completely in the beginning because director Shin Tae Ra told me he would make me cool in the latter part of the movie.” The director certainly kept his promise.

954881_198045933697538_744010745_n.jpg

Detective Cha is Kang Ji Hwan’s film for so many reasons. Sung Yuri added to the fun a bit, but not as much as Kang Ji Hwan did.

Detective Cha was Kang Ji Hwan and Kang Ji Hwan was Detective Cha. His one-man show really shined through.

Perhaps it was because he was reunited with 7th Grade Civil Servant’s director Shin Tae Ra, but Kang Ji Hwan seemed to be a match for the director.

Shin Tae Ra even said, “After seeing the scenario for Detective Cha, I thought that Kang Ji Hwan was the only person for this role. He’s like a navigation system.”

If you want to laugh mindlessly in the theater, this is the film for you. A lot of the Korean films out in the box office during the first half of the year were about heavy and dark themes. Now, it’s time to laugh with Kang Ji Hwan’s comedy. The film will premiere on May 31.

source: enewsworld

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ulala Session Appears as Special Guest at ‘Detective Cha’ Preview

2012.05.31 CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Ulala Session heated up the stage with its special performance for the preview session of the film Detective Cha.

The premiere showcase for Detective Cha was held on May 30 in Seoul. Director Shin Tae Ra, Kang Ji Hwan, Sung Yuri, Kim Young Gwang, Lee Soo Hyuk and Shin Min Chul were in attendance, and Ulala Session also appeared for a special performance.

555825_204248319743966_192402301_n.jpg

The event was comprised of a preview session for ordinary audiences, Ulala Session’s performance and a fanmeeting with the actors.

Ulala Session’s performance proved to be especially exciting. The group sang Honey, You in Vague Memory and its debut single Beautiful Night, and had the 300 fans gathered at the venue shouting and clapping along.

The group had been invited to the event thanks to its appearance in the music video for Detective Cha and its invention of the ‘D-line dance’.

The heat was turned up higher with the actor fanmeeting. The fans shouted out their support as the actors appeared onstage, and the actors had fun with various events including a D-line dance class.

1148917_204248526410612_251046194_n.jpg

Kim Young Gwang said in a talk session with his fans, “I really wanted to be in a movie, and it felt great to be in one with such great friends,” to a question asking him about how he felt about his first film.

Kang Ji Hwan said in closing, “I’ll work hard for the stage events. I want to thank Ulala Session also. Thank you,” and Sung Yuri added, “I really hope the film will be no. 1 on the first week.”

Detective Cha is about a detective who tries to sneak into the runway by disguising himself as a fashion model. The film premiered on May 31.

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

Sung Yuri Wants ‘Detective Cha’ to be No. 1

2012.05.31  CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Sung Yuri revealed that she really wants Detective Cha to do well in the box office.

The preview showcase for Detective Cha was held in Seoul on May 30. Director Shin Tae Ra, Kang Ji Hwan, Sung Yuri, Kim Young Gwang, Lee Soo Hyuk and Shin Min Chul were all present, while Ulala Session delivered a special performance.

1235363_204248976410567_799617400_n.jpg

In the fanmeeting event held during the showcase, Sung Yuri said to a question asking her how she felt, “The film will premiere this week. I really hope the film will be no. 1 on the first week.”

Sung Yuri appears as a fashion designer in the film and enters a romance with Kang Ji Hwan. She showed her attachment to her first piece since MBC’s Feast of the Gods, appearing in the press preview and other such official events for the first time in a long time.

When asked which scene was the most memorable, Sung Yuri answered, “I was really curious about the scenes I wouldn’t be appearing in. I thought the in-line scenes were especially interesting.”

The actors then promised, “If the film continues to sell out tickets during its first week, we’ll hold a free hug event with our fans.”

Detective Cha is about a detective who tries to sneak into the runway by disguising himself as a fashion model. The film premiered on May 31.

Kang Ji Hwan Will be Watching ′Detective Cha′ at the Movies

2012.06.03    CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Kang Ji Hwan, star of the film Detective Cha, said that moviegoers in Korea may find him in a seat near them at the theater.

In a recent interview with enews, Kang Ji Hwan said, "Sometimes I go to see my own films at the theater because I′m curious about the audience′s reactions. I watched the films 7th Grade Civil Servant and Movies are Movies with the audience at the theater."

1235382_204248263077305_1200263726_n.jpg

He added, "I always entered when the lights were off with a hat on my head or kept staring at my cellphone when I was there early, but this time, I′m planning on entering boldly. I′m curious on what reaction the audience will show if I suddenly show up at the movies."

Detective Cha gathered 13,706 moviegoers on June 2 alone, showing the film was headed for success.

Detective Cha is a comedy about how the detective Cha Chul Soo, who only cares about solving cases, is given a mission to sneak into the runway for a case, forcing him to transform into a model. Sung Yuri appears alongside Kang Ji Hwan in the film.

Kang Ji Hwan and Sung Yuri Promote ‘Detective Cha’ with Hugs and Photos

2012.06.08    CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung Translation Credit : Erika Kim

The cast of Detective Cha promoted their film on June 6 with a set of special stage events.

Kang Ji Hwan and Sung Yuri visited Detective Cha theaters in the Seoul and Gyeonggi-do area this day to hold a special ‘hug time’ and ‘photo time’ event.

1187107_207341196101345_1828317521_n.jpg

Kang Ji Hwan said, “I want to thank our audience for choosing to watch Detective Cha on a holiday like this. We’ll continue to promote the film so please show us your support.” He then finished by shouting “I like you,” a line from the film.

Sung Yuri added, “It’s a film that’s as funny as many people expect. Please tell the people around you about it.”

The event especially brightened up thanks to the humorous placards the fans held up. Fans flashed placards reading, ‘Hug me’, ‘I’ve watched this so many times I deserve a photo’ and ‘Fourth time watching Detective Cha’.

A source from Detective Cha said, “The lead actors plan to fuel the flame by moving to Daegu and Busan this weekend.”

Detective Cha is about how the detective Cha Chul Soo (Kang Ji Hwan) tries to sneak into the runway as a model to apprehend a criminal. Kang Ji Hwan, Sung Yuri and the flower boys Lee Soo Hyuk, Kim Young Gwang and Shin Min Chul light up the screen.

Photo credit: CJ Entertainment

[interview] Sung Yuri Says Her Kiss with Kang Ji Hwan was Passionate

2012.06.09    CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Sung Yuri opened up on her kiss scene with Kang Ji Hwan for Detective Cha in an interview with enews on June 4.

1184911_204249679743830_956393954_n.jpg

When the reporters mentioned her passionate kiss scene, Sung Yuri said, “The film is a comedy film, so it doesn’t emphasize the romantic aspect very much. I wanted to show it could be a deep romance through that one kiss scene.”

Sung Yuri appeared in the film as a fashion designer. She had mostly taken up passive roles in her previous pieces, but for her first commercial film, she took up a new comical type of character for a big change in image. Her kiss scene with Kang Ji Hwan near the end of the film especially drew attention.

She has been in kiss scenes before, but none of them were as passionate and aggressive as the one for Detective Cha.

“I tried to think up a lot of ideas to make it look passionate,” she said. “I like the film Gone with the Wind, so I even asked [Kang] Ji Hwan oppa to bend back. I made up my mind and tried to make it a passionate kiss scene.”

She added, “After the kiss scene, Ji Hwan oppa teased me saying that I had become more aggressive now that I’m older. It was longer and more passionate, but it was shortened in the end through editing. I believe some parts could’ve gone better, but I’m happy with the result.”

Detective Cha drew in 450,000 moviegoers during the weekend after its premiere on May 31, gathering great expectations for its success.

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

[interview] Sung Yuri′s Stance on Nude Scenes

2012.06.11 12:20 CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Grace Danbi Hong

′Girl group Fin.K.L. member.′

This is a title that annoyingly tags along actress Sung Yuri (30).

So her current challenge is always written in the present form - Sung Yuri is desperately trying to stand alone as an actress and not as a singer.

Not many people know that this fight has been going on for 10 years, so now she′s issued a new challenge to the new genre of comedy with the movie Detective Cha

Curiosity is on the move to how Sung Yuri, who always had passive roles, will act as a diva and how she will provoke laughter on the silver screen. Enews met with her and solved that curiosity.

554515_204249336410531_474617280_n.jpg

The Sung Yuri We Met…

If we were to be nitpicky, Sung Yuri would fall under the category of boring people. With 14 years under her belt, she′s skilled in speaking with logic and avoiding awkward questions, but she’s the kind of person that’s hard to meet eyes with. It’s difficult to naturally meet the humanistic side to her.

About this personality, she said, “I shy away from things a lot.”

But once you get closer to her, you’ll be able to see her true side. As time passed, she really began to open up on her true feelings on acting.

With only an hour interview, it was hard to understand the person Sung Yuri, but it was more than enough to rid of her initial status as a girl group member and re-title her as an actress.

After watching the movie, how was it?

“It was definitely different than any other projects I took on. It was interesting and funny. I was able to take on the female role that I always respected, and I enjoyed working with Kang Ji Hwan. Right now, more than saying it was this or that, I’m more excited that my face is even on the poster.”

Your challenge into comedy seems a little bit sudden.

“Because I’ve always been in very heavy projects, it became hard for me emotionally and physically. But with a comedic movie, the atmosphere mood was really bright and very fun. People say that instead of making people cry, it’s harder to make people laugh. I now have this greed to make people laugh.”

In the movie, you play a very sharp designer. Is your real personality like that?

“Well…I think, to say that I’m 180 degrees different is correct. In reality, I’ve been told that I’m an easy-going tomboy. Young Jae in the movie is like a cat and also enjoys seducing guys. In more ways than one, she’s the type of woman that I like. People around me are surprised and say, ‘When did Sung Yuri have a side like that?’”

Your passionate kiss scene with Kang Ji Hwan has been gathering attention.

“More than romance, the movie is stronger in comedy. But I didn’t want to completely ignore that area. I wanted to show all the melodrama I could with that one kiss scene. So I actively gave ideas and even asked Kang Ji Hwan to do the kiss scene from Gone With the Wind. Then he teased me about me being direct now that I’m old.”

1229907_208516492650482_1124762867_n.jpg

In the movie, you‘re able to pull of Lady GaGa’s Outfit

“Director Shin said he didn′t want the audience to know that it was Sung Yuri from my first appearance. So I decided to wear something that stood out and that was Lady GaGa’s outfit. It was a scene where I had to overreact, so it was hard to bring up the courage to do so. But because it was an elevator scene with a few of the staff, I was able to do it. If they told me to do it again, I don’t think I could.”

Kang Ji Hwan also had a drastic transformation. How was it watching and working with him?

“It’s been four years since I last saw him through KBS’ Hong Gil Dong. I think he has become more of a perfectionist since then, especially after seeing him lose all the weight that he gained. I realized that a sudden diet can make a person suffer. If it was me, I wouldn’t be able to do. I’m impressed by his professionalism.”

The title of ‘Girl Group Member’ has been following you for 10 years.

“Before, I just wanted to get rid of it. I felt that it was getting in the way of my acting career. But after 10 years of acting, I realized that being a singer is part of Sung Yuri. Now that acting is the main focus of my career, I am satisfied, maybe even comfortable. I want to continue getting closer with the viewers and audiences through acting.”

You are in competition with Jo Yeo Jeong’s The King’s Concubine. Is actress Sung Yuri ever going to do nude scenes?

“This is a question I can clearly answer. I will never do it. If you’re confident about it, then it’s okay. But with my personality, I don’t think I can overcome it. Maybe I will if my thoughts or environments changes as I grow older, but as of now, I stand by my decision."

Is your real personality this serious?

“I tend to shy away from things a lot. Only people close to me know my fun side. If you reveal a lot of the things that happen inside my van, they would make big issues. I even do good impressions of my closest friends and have been told I’m the master of imitation. I will do my best to imitate famous people now.”

We’re curious about your future plans. What kind of acting do you want to do? Are there specific roles you want to take?

“A genius artist? That’s what I want to do as a movie actress. I thought about it a lot after watching La Vie en Rose. I want to appear on not just television but also in a lot of movies, but I’m also very happy with the fact that I’m able to even shoot movies.”

How do you want audiences to view Detective Cha and actress Sung Yuri?

“I hope they can laugh with a light heart. It’s not a movie that’s made for cinematic value, so I hope they don’t criticize it part by part. I hope they just take it lightly. The same goes for actress Sung Yuri. I hope people don’t analyze me, but just see me as an actress that they can laugh with and enjoy.”

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

class="articletitle"Sung Yuri Picture With Ulala Session, Shows Unrivaled Beauty

Actress Sung Yuri revealed a picture taken with the group Ulala Session.

June 2, 2012

18702-sung-yuri.jpg

Actress Sung Yuri revealed a picture taken with the group Ulala Session.

On May 31, Sung Yuri posted on her me2day, "At the release party of the movie 'Detective Cha'~ A picture with Ulala Session who decorated the stage with their amazing skills~! Ulala Ulala~" along with a picture.

In the picture, Sung Yuri is standing in the middle of the members of Ulala Session. Ulala Session members are wearing star-patterned outfits and are smiling widely

Internet users who saw this commented "Ulala Session and Sung Yuri, both positive image!", "Good luck to both 'Detective Cha' and Ulala Session!", and "Sung Yuri, she looks like a doll in every picture.”

Photo: Sung Yuri me2day

class="blog_h2 entry-title"Sung Yuri from Detective Cha confesses, “I used to cry my eyes out because of my poor acting”

June 02, 2012 12:00 pm hannacha

20120601_1338546096_07862400_1.jpg
Here we meet transparent actress, Sung Yuri (31). She shared frankly about her feeling when her acting was harshly criticized.

In an interview with TV Report that took place at a coffee shop in Samcheong-dong, Seoul on June 1, the star began, “When I was shooting KBS 2’s drama series Romance Town, I cried my eyes out because I felt hopeless with my acting.”

Initially, she debuted as a singer in the group called Fin.K.L and changed her career as an actress. In 2003, she played her first role, the princess of South Buyeo, in SBS’s Thousand Years Of Love, but because she was not quite ready, she faced many difficulties and got caught up in controversies over her poor acting.

Recalling past experience, she said, “It’s been a while since I became less concerned about the issue.

In the past, I was harshly criticized because of my poor acting. I could understand them when I monitored myself in the screen. I considered giving up the career thinking, ‘Is this the field that I should never challenge?’ Then again, I was fond of acting. So I made a firm decision and gave my best in keeping enthusiastic attitude at all times without giving up. As I look back, I think I did a great job making that decision. If I had given up at that time, I wouldn’t be here now, working on this attractive job.”

She added, “Because I did not have fundamental acting skills, I was so ignorant at the beginning. I couldn’t portrait the character Noh Soon Keum in the way I wanted her to be in Romance Town. I knew how to act by head, but I wasn’t able to express it on the screen. I felt so helpless because the character I had in my mind wouldn’t come out, so I cried my eyes out. I cried real hard.”

After experiencing a big slump, she could find her confidence back when she met her acting teacher.

Sung thought for a moment and said, “I learned a lot from my teacher. Even from my own point of view, I could see that I’ve improved a lot in MBC’s TV series Feast of the Gods and the movie Detective Cha. I sent her a small congratulatory wreath and shyly tagged a small note that read ‘From actress Sung Yuri.’ She must have felt touched after reading the word ‘actress’ because she showed tears.

After watching Feast of the Gods, she called me and said, “I’m so proud of the fact that you are my student.” That simple sentence made my heart melt like snow under a bright sunshine. She cried and I cried along with her. The phone became full of tears. Well, I hope my acting was good this time. If you agree, can I hope for a warm comment from you.

Source: TV Report

class="title"Movie Monday: Runway Cop (2012)

September 3, 2012 in Author: Snoopy's Twinkie

996920_198046103697521_1259771837_n.jpg

Starring: Kang Ji Hwan, Sung Yu Ri, Kim Young Kwang, etc.

Rating: PG-13

Running Time: 110 minutes

Twinkies:

Synopsis: A detective (Kang Ji Hwan) goes undercover in his old classmate’s debut fashion show in order to uncover a drug ring that’s been using fashion shows as a venue for their drug exchange. The problem…besides the whole drug ring thing? He’s overweight and needs to lose 22 lbs. (10 kgs.) if he wants to work undercover!  

Musings: Let me first start by saying that this movie doesn’t really offer anything new in the way of the romantic comedy. But what it does do is provide viewers with amply visual and slapstick comedy. I cannot begin to count the number of times I laughed out loud while I saw this movie. Thank goodness Bentley was the only one in the house at the time, or my family would have probably thought I was losing it…although I’m sure there were times when Bentley (my canine companion) gave me a few odd looks throughout the movie. 

Kang Ji Hwan is at his comedic best portraying this overweight and unkempt detective. I debated whether to rate this a 3 or a 3.5 twinkies because of the generic story, but the comedy compelled me to give it a 4. Um yeah, I would totally see it again, if for no other reason than to see Kang Ji Hwan bring on the funny. And as I watched the first half of the movie, one thought kept running through my mind: Thank goodness Kang Ji Hwan does not usually look like this!

Seriously, who knew what a difference a few pounds could make?! For that matter, who knew what a difference a person’s style could make?! *Sad sigh* This only goes to show how susceptible we are to outer appearances in how we view people.

And since this movie deals with the modeling world, there is no shortage of beautiful people. One particular person to watch out for is Kim Young Kwang (pictured above with Kang Ji Hwan). Wow~is all I can say. I always thought Kang Ji Hwan was handsome, but this man  leaves Kang in the pale. Anyone else agree? LOL

In any case, below is the trailer for you to check out. I would link the movie for you, but my source no longer has it online. :( If anyone else know where to find the movie, please comment below. Thanks! Have a great week!

credit: koreandramareviews.com

class="title"Movie Monday: Runway Cop (2012) – NewKDramaAddict’s Review

April 29, 2013 in Author: NewKDramaAddict

1150163_198046390364159_1888236862_n.jpg

Starring: Kang Ji Hwan as Cha Chul-Soo, Sung Yu-Ri as Ko Young-Jae, Lee Soo-Hyuk as Kim Sun-Ho, Kim Young-Kwang as Han Seung-Woo and Shin Jung-Keun as Detective Yoo

Rating: PG-13 humor and some violence

Running Time: 110 min

Twinkies: 4

1094949_198045173697614_1488446011_n.jpg

Synopsis: Detective Cha Cheul-Soo smells bad and is overweight. Nevertheless, he is a devoted cop who always tries his best to catch the bad guys. A new case then arises. Illegal narcotics are infiltrating into the fashion industry and a detective is needed to work undercover as a model. There are only 2 detectives taller than 180 centimeters required to work as a fashion model. One of them is Detective Cha and the other detective walks strangely due to to a recent operation. Detective Cha is selected to go undercover as a male model in designer Ko Young-Jae’s next fashion show. Young-Jae happens to be childhood school friend of Cha. Ko Young-Jae tells Detective Cha that he has to lose 20 kilograms in 2 weeks so that he can work as a model in her upcoming show. Detective Cha then goes on a strenuous regiment to lose the weight. And the rest is funny, funny, funny!!

Runway-Cop-2012-Movie-Image-600x254_zps4

1003763_198045300364268_587221730_n.jpg

Musings: I’ll tell you what, Kang Ji Hwan is a comedy genius!! Who knew?!! I never realize how funny he was. Most of his movies I’d seen were more on the serious side but I must say, watching the first 10 minutes of this movie, I was literally crying from laughter! When they were on the stake-out and the Head Detective Yoo was passing out clothing to dress like bums, the others on the team were like, “Why do they smell so bad?” In comes Cha from the rear of the car, asking why does everyone have my clothes?!!

As the team gets involved with another case at a Fashion Show, we meet the other characters, especially Ko Young-Jae. Together with Kang Ji Hwan, their scenes were pretty hilarious! Especially during Cha’s crash diet to lose weight so that he could go undercover. How about these results?

1005686_198045377030927_861626249_n.jpg

1173606_204211063081025_1927489234_n.jpg

fullsizephoto241540_zps469726ab.jpg

I could talk on and on about this movie. It was great and a very enjoyable 110 minutes. But if nothing else can persuade you to watch, how about this:

945207_204211426414322_719430303_n.jpg

and if that didn’t to it, there is nothing like a Greek God coming to life that is Kang Ji Hwan:

fullsizephoto241541_zps7534dbce.jpg

credit: koreandramareviews.com

• 1 year later...

Archived