at the Cathay Cineplex.
Runway Cop
Cast KANG Ji-hwan
Director SHIN Terra
Language Korean with Chinese & English subtitles
Opening 17 Jan 2013
Runtime 110 mins
Rating PG13 – Some Coarse and Sexual References

Fresh, new action comedy by the director of MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN AGENT! Starring KANG Ji-hwan.

A devilish D-line, the ultimate stench, greasy, bob-cut hair, and pants folded inside hiking socks? A fashion breaker cop with nothing to lose transforms into a fashion model to go undercover on the runway!

Having nothing but his suffocating, ultimate stench and devilish D-Line body, tenacious 'Detective CHA' is dedicated to getting his target. In order to get to the bottom of a secret drug trafficking case, CHA loses 45lb in 2 weeks and transforms into a fashion model to jump undercover onto the runaway and kick off an unprecedented mission.

Fat, devilish D-lined Inspector CHA's outrageous undercover project begins!
source: cathaycineplexes.com.sg
photo credit: KJH Gallery and Encore Films

72827_474465302589686_312002705_n.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an amusing article about KJH and his convincing
portrayal as Cha Chul Soo in "Runway Cop".

Korean heart-throb puts on 12kg for role
Yip Wai Yee
The Straits Times
Publication Date : 17-01-2013

Actor Kang Ji Hwan wanted to look realistic in his role as an overweight homeless detective

In celebrity-obsessed South Korea, heart-throb actor Kang Ji Hwan was not recognised while filming in the middle of a busy marketplace.

He had so sucessfully achieved the look of the overweight, homeless detective role for his latest film Runway Cop that a tofu
seller even chased him out of her stall in between takes.

Shin Tae Ra, 39, director of the movie, tells Life! in an e-mail: "The auntie who sold tofu thought that Kang was a beggar and chased him away.

"And all the other people in the market could not figure out who he was either. They kept asking our film crew who he was."

Runway Cop, which opens in cinemas today, has Kang, 35, playing a top police detective - but with personal hygiene issues. The character does not bother to shower, slobbers when he eats, and has long mangy hair and a rotund belly.

Despite having the option to simply don a fat-suit for the role, Kang took it upon himself to gain weight.

Shin says: "We told him to just get a costume on but he did not want to show the audiences a false image. To make things look more realistic, he was determined to gain weight on his own.

"He went to observe homeless people and also to a marketplace to look for additional props for the film. I knew that he would be able to do the role well but he really exceeded my expectations."

According to reports, Kang put on 12kg for the role, then lost it within two weeks to get back to his usual toned figure, complete with six-pack abs. In the movie, his character is asked to go
undercover as a male catwalk model and thus he must undergo extreme exercise and diet routines to get into shape.

Shin had worked with Kang before in his previous comedy flick My Girlfriend Is An Agent (2009) and says he admires the actor's professionalism.

Shin says: "He studies the characters that he plays and it is obvious how much attention he pays to all his roles. On a personal level, he is also a righteous and loyal friend. The more you know him, the more you will fall for this guy."

Runway Cop also stars actress Sung Yu Ri, 31, as a fashion designer whose debut fashion show features Kang's character.

Shin says the chemistry between the two leads on and off the set was so good that he would not be surprised if they eventually dated in real life.

Before collaborating on this movie, Kang and Sung had also co-starred in TV drama series Hong Gil Dong (2008). Both are not married.

Shin says of the two actors on his Runway Cop set: "They would read the scripts together, exercise together and have meals together, always giving us a very warm image when they are together. I feel that if they went on a date, they would look really good as a couple."

After the movie was completed, there were no subsequent news reports of the pair hooking up, though they always showed good rapport during joint interviews on television where they often poked fun at each other.

As the film gently mocks the modelling industry, you ask what the director really thinks of male models.

He replies frankly: "At first, I wondered if models were aliens because they seem so different from human beings.

"But I have realised that the showy nature of the job is not as easy to achieve as we think. It's not an easy career and requires an extensive amount of self- discipline. After making the movie and working with real-life models, I have started to see them in a better light."

credit: asianewsnet
source: Kang Ji Hwan 강지환 FB

76964_475533125816237_1462005762_n.jpg

This movie revived my love for Lee Soo Hyuk. <3Lotsa slapstick and everyone certainly laughed from beginning to the end. Great acting by Kang Ji Hwan and Sung Yuri! One thing I couldn't get was where the thugs insist on destroying the show?

• 2 months later...

This is an announcement that was released at Kangstar regarding the sale of the DVD of KJH's 2012 movie, "Runway Cop". The text was originally written in Japanese. It was translated by Joy Kiyota.

12371_508662595836623_876771852_n.jpg

Blockbuster movie, "Runway Cop" is now on sale in DVD
Starring: Kang Ji Hwan
Booking Sales Deadline: 2013/ April 30/Mon. 7pm
Payment Completion Date: 2013/May 1/Wed.3pm
Release Date: 2013/July 2
Fan Club Special Give Aways: 2 pcs sticker pics of Kang Ji Hwan
in Runway Cop(w/c is limited only). And for those who will purchase the DVD or Blu-Ray, there would be a raffle where 15 lucky persons will be given a pamphlet w/ the original autograph of Kang Ji Hwan.  
DVD Region Code: Region 2 Cannot play in other countries
Blu-Ray : Region Code Free (World Wide)
Language: Korean
Sub: Nihongo
Desk:1
Selling Agency: Ponny Canyon
Release Date: 2013/July 2
Time: 110 mns.
Price: DVD 4,935yen(w/ tax)+ postage800yen
Blu-Ray4,935yen (w/tax)+postage800yen

Synopsis:

Fresh, new action comedy by the director of MY GIRLFRIEND IS AN AGENT! Starring KANG Ji-hwan.

A devilish D-line, the ultimate stench, greasy, bob-cut hair, and pants folded inside hiking socks? A fashion breaker cop with nothing to lose transforms into a fashion model to go undercover on the runway!

Having nothing but his suffocating, ultimate stench and devilish D-Line body, tenacious 'Detective CHA' is dedicated to getting his target. In order to get to the bottom of a secret drug trafficking case, CHA loses 45lb in 2 weeks and transforms into a fashion model to jump undercover onto the runaway and kick off an unprecedented mission.

Fat, devilish D-lined Inspector CHA's outrageous undercover project begins!

credit: kangstar, swave E & T and Joy Kiyota

• 1 month later...

Kang Ji Hwan, every work that was shown in Asia received 'explosive reaction'
translated by pechumori  5/22/13

943129_525467254156157_417128782_n.jpg

Actor Kang Ji Hwan who appeared in sensational works has become popular in Asia. The recently concluded SBS weekend drama, "Incarnation of Money" was voted the most anticipated drama in 2013 at the Korean Japanese site, "Wow Korea" with more than 50% turnout in the polls. Furthermore, at Yukuhashi (www.youku.com), People's Republic of China's video downloading site, it was the most popular drama, ranking number one during its broadcast. Kang Ji Hwan portrayed the role of the anti-corruption prosecutor Lee Cha Don in "Incarnation of Money".

The movie, "Runway Cop" (directed by Shin Tae Ra) which was released earlier this year in Japan was seen by 10,000 viewers during the premiere night of its premium showing even without having promotions. Earlier, "Runway Cop" was also shown in the United States, Vietnam, Indonesia and Singapore. In "Runway Cop", Kang Ji Hwan plays a detective with a D-line body who undergoes a compelling visual transformation.

Kang Ji Hwan's two projects which were shown one after another in Asia led to the enthusiastic response of crowning him as the New Wave King.

Meanwhile, after the conclusion of "Incarnation of Money", Kang Ji Hwan is already considering his next project.

[TV daily star line and press news@tvdaily.co.kr/photo = Cory-Medley
(koretame.com)]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

class="pageTitle" style="font-size: 3em; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.15; margin: 0px; padding: 64px 0px 11px; font-family: Vegur, Arial, Helvetica, Garuda, sans-serif; color: rgb(131, 131, 131); background-color: rgb(230, 236, 236);"Runway Cop – Review class="pageTagLine" style="font-size: 2em; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.15; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Vegur, Arial, Helvetica, Garuda, sans-serif; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(20, 20, 20);"Dec 21, 2012  |   Posted by Marcello in Movie Reviews
runwaycop.jpg

Korea’s answer to “Miss Congeniality”, only with the opposite gender-sign. Thus, the brief description of “Runway Cop”, the new work of the director Shin Tae-ra Shin aka Terra (Black House). That’s pretty much Sin Tae-ra’s “Runway Cop” in a nutshell. An dirty detective goes undercover as a pretty woman to solve a crime. And it was awesome. There’s not really much too it besides that. It’s just light and funny. It does have a little bit of romance, but for the most part, it’s just a comedy.

I’ve really enjoyed the roles Lee Soo Hyuk has been taking on to further his acting career. Unfortunately, Runway Cop is a lot of flash and unfocused. “Runway Cop” looks a little obnoxious on the surface and perhaps it’s more stick that slap, but it’s romantic undertones and great story world allow you to look past some of its more cliché elements found in the K-comedy genre. The reason why I love Kang Ji Hwan so much is his ability to switch easily from comedic to dramatic acting. And he does with so much bravado and gusto. He certainly brings that out in his character of Detective Cha. Kang Ji Hwan embraces Chul Soo’s slovenly ways and is shameless about flaunting it. The best part about this film is you could see that most everyone making it was having a great time. They were enjoying the hijinks and seemed to enjoy working together and that sold the movie.

The weakest link was the two models who use to be best friends. I almost feel like they were put in to give us more pretty but they really did not seem to move the plot along. They could have had their story removed and not have hurt the plot at all. But the rest of the story was great fun. The relationship between Detective Cha and his boss and fellow officers was just wonderful and that really was the best part of the movie. All the action scenes were both exciting and funny. he ugly duckling has most assuredly become the gorgeous swan. Ladies be prepared to wipe away the drool when you see him. The supporting cast do their job in helping to move the plot along and providing some comedy. Kim Sun Ho (Lee Soo Hyuk) and Han Seung Woo (Kim Young Kwang) battle over the issue of morality and eventually the two help Chul Soo catch the bad guy. The pacing and progression of these two characters moves at a snails pace without much filler to fill out the time.

There is some slight sexual humor. Nothing too naughty, but I thought I should warn anyway since some people are sensitive to that. The story line is the same old one about drugs, modelling and power and corruption. But the way the story is told, is the attraction here. I am so pleased to have found and watched this movie that had given one great time and something that I can re-watch to lighten up the day! Yes, there are the technical flaws of the movie. Most noticeably the audio mixing which should be used to enhance the suspense, comedy and romance goes on break at some of the key scenes which would have illuminated the chemistry between our leads. However, in the end, this has an ‘A’ grade written all over it. Great fun!

source: http://japancinema.net/2012/12/21/runway-cop-review/

class="entry-title" style="clear: both; color: rgb(4, 100, 141); font-family: BevanRegular, Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-weight: normal; font-size: 22px; line-height: 1.3em; margin: 0px 0px 5px;"Runway Cop: Korean Movie Reviewviewimage.php?id=kangjh&no=29bcc427b6837

Runway Cop

Korean Movie

My Score: 8.5/10

★★★★☆

Director: Shin Tae-Ra

Cast: Kang Ji-Hwan Sung Yu-Ri

Genre: Comedy/Action

Summary: A cop must go undercover as a model to solve a case.
Even though he’s fat and grubby, he gets the job because he’s the only one who meets the height requirement in the police station.

Review: Haha, wow Kang Ji-Hwan! This guy was the lead romantic interest in the drama Lie To Me… but you can hardly recognize him at the beginning of this movie!

He’s totally out of shape and dirty here. It’s been said that he also put on 22 lbs for this role…! (But I was assuming they used a fat suit, haha.) He did a good job with it though. I always love it when good-looking actors aren’t afraid to get ugly for their roles.

This movie was pretty entertaining. There’s not really much too it besides that. It’s just light and funny.
It does have a little bit of romance, but for the most part, it’s just a comedy.

Warning: There is some slight sexual humor. Nothing too naughty, but I thought I should warn anyway since some people are sensitive to that.

source: http://dramaswhoo.com/2012/10/26/runway-cop-korean-movie-review/

photo credit: DC KJH

photo236506.jpg class="itemTitle"Runway Cop (차형사) - Review

Director:         Shin Terra

Cast:               Kang Ji Hwan, Sung Yu Ri

Genre:            Action, Comedy

Run time:        110 mins.

Opens:             17 January 2013

Rating:             PG 13  Some coarse language and sexual references.

There’s a ridiculously fun, fizzy movie lurking around somewhere in Runway Cop once in a while, it surfaces for air but, more often than not, it gets buried a little beneath an oddly over-stuffed plot.

Cha Chul-soo (Kang) is an unkempt, overweight police detective who would rather catch bad guys than take a shower. But Chul-soo is forced to change his slovenly ways when he’s assigned to break up a drug trafficking ring embedded in the local modeling industry. At the mercy of newbie designer and childhood friend Ko Young-Jae (Sung), Chul-soo must lose 20kg and clean up his act in time to hit the runway as an undercover model.

1017012_198045397030925_379116081_n.jpg

Not coincidentally, the first half of Runway Cop is more enjoyable than the second – mainly because Chul-soo has yet to undergo his slightly implausible makeover. The jokes are less politically correct but also sharper, and Chul-soo himself is a much funnier and livelier character when his charm and kind heart are literally tucked away under layers of dirt and fat.

Once Chul-soo emerges from his training regimen as a super-sexy dude with washboard abs and unbearably cool red hair, the film loses most of its steam. Its plot meanders along in an unfocused and yet predictable fashion, as its protagonist becomes friends with his fellow catwalk-strutters and works doubly hard to ensure Young-Jae’s show is a success.

1001090_198403113661820_1122524559_n.jpg

Kang is well worth the watch, however. With his smouldering good looks and chiseled body, there’s no doubt he belongs on a runway. But it’s just as much (if not more) fun to bear witness to him depositing his vanity at the door. He is hilarious and utterly committed to the part, whether he’s fending off a popcorn assault or dancing across a row of cars in a drug-induced haze. It’s a pity the rest of the film can’t quite keep up with his energy and verve.

Summary: This film limps when it should strut like a supermodel, but Kang’s performance is worth the price of admission. 

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Shawne Wang

credit: fmoviemag.com

On-the-set pictures for the Korean movie "Runway Cop"

by:  robotman  on  June 24, 2012 

1095068_198404403661691_1933431344_n.jpg

Added new on-the-set pictures for the Korean movie "Runway Cop" (2012)

Directed bySin Tae-ra

WithKang Ji-hwan,Seong Yoo-ri,Lee Soo-hyeok,Kim Yeong-kwang,Shin Min-chul,Sin Jeong-geun,...

Synopsis
All he has is smell and a D-line body but is devoted in catching the bad guys. Detective Cha (Kang Ji-hwan) takes the cover of a model on a runway to solve a case.

Release date in Korea : 2012/05/30

1150932_198404176995047_432993744_n.jpg

12978_198404133661718_524125758_n.jpg

credit: askkpop

class="title"Runway Cop (Review)photo236506.jpg

I’ve been pretty hyped up about this movie ever since I heard about its conception back in 2011. It took me a while, though, to get around to watching it, but boy was it worth it. If you’re looking for a film with depth, swift execution, and stellar story, this is not the movie you’re looking for. If instead you’re looking to watch a comedy that will make you laugh out loud and catch live feed of Kang Ji Hwan’s fantastic abs, this is the jackpot.

935896_198045613697570_175979041_n.jpg

Review

I began the movie expecting to see a male version of Miss Congeniality, and while there were some ogre to beauty makeover elements preserved, the story just wasn’t the same. While Miss Congeniality was more about Gracie’s maturation (at least to me), Runway Cop was all sorts of just slapstick. Great slapstick at that. I loved Kang Ji Hwan and his willingness to give his all no matter how ridiculous the scenario was. Whether he’s hanging at the edge of a bridge, edge of a truck door, or stuffing sausage into his mouth, Kang immersed himself in the boisterous actions. And that’s what’s so great about him as an actor. He can do melo, crying with a plethora of facial expressions; he can do anger, submerging his audience in the intensity of the scene; and he can do comedy, because he can let himself go and pose like an idiot without the restraints of a hallyu star. I. Just. Love. Him.

1094949_198045173697614_1488446011_n.jpg

The story revolves around an undercover stint by the Korean police force in trying to catch some powerful Meth dealers. They suspect that a popular male model, played by Lee Soo Hyuk, is helping a bunch of mobsters smuggle drugs during fashion shows. A recent police infiltrate into the fashion scene, as a crew member, was murdered, and now they need Detective Cha to crack the case. Detective Cha, played by Kang Ji Hwan, is an overweight and dedicated officer that’s willing to put his life on the line in the name of justice. He lives at work, refuses to shower in the name of staking out, and loves meat. He is assigned the job and works with the fashion designer Go Young Jae, played by Sung Yuri, to lose weight and become more model-like. The two headbutts the first minute they meet but eventually re-kindles when they realized they were high school classmates. (I love the set up already, high fashion diva versus pushy stubborn detective). And thus, hilarity ensues.

1150827_199014350267363_145386691_n.jpg

The Bad 

It was so obvious that Kang was in a fat suit throughout the entire movie. I wondered why they needed him to be fat in the first place. Why couldn’t he have just been hideously dressed, unshaven, and smelly, without being 20kg overweight, I don’t understand. The transition was so not believable, because seriously, who can make such a huge transformation in 2 weeks without plastic surgery. And to top it all off, he was always stuffing his face when he was fat and screaming with his mouth full. I felt someone needed to be there to do the Heimlich Maneuver at all times. The editing and scene transitions were also a little odd at times. Some stares took too long, and some scenes were pointless. The villains were jokes and I’m definitely questioning how they even got so powerful in the first place. There was pretty much no character development and I’m still not clear what the models did to help with the drug smuggling.

The Good 

Sung Yuri’s diva designer was a riot. Her hand gestures still make me chuckle, and her crazy outfits are Lady Gaga level. But goodness, she can pull them off and make them look gorgeous while doing it. (Now I kind of want her pink dress-thingy-ma-bob.)

1002520_198045627030902_1768257749_n.jpg

Her chemistry with Kang was off the hook and every time they were in a scene alone, which were a-plenty, I can feel the static electricity.

Dh62Xg35.jpg

The fashion was definitely there, and the clothing that the male models toted at the runway were pretty impressive, especially what Detective Cha was wearing as the main piece.

1004688_198045740364224_1495772288_n.jpg

Overall, it was a fun ride. Light, slapstick, and silly. I’d recommend it!

1001090_198403113661820_1122524559_n.jpg

credit: grntealatte.wordpress.com

Archived