UPDATED-Katie Holmes on Tom Cruise divorce: 'I don't want it to define me'

Guest HERMIT

Guest HERMIT

Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes Divorce: Scientology Fears Prompted Her to File, Blindside Actor

Katie Holmes surprised many by filing for divorce from Tom Cruise, but the apparent reason behind her decision would likely be anyone's first guess.

Scientology.

Sources say the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes divorce is happening for precisely that reason, specifically her concern that Suri will be introduced to it.

tom-kat_522x364.jpg

Their daughter is now six, the age where Scientology will begin to be a major part of her life, and Katie fears Suri will be dragged in too deep.

Holmes has never fully committed to Scientology, TMZ reports, despite her ties with the church and more than five years of marriage to Tom.

Many observers felt their marriage would never work for this reason; Katie respected Tom's beliefs, but raising their child his way a different story.

As she's grown, the couple had been arguing over Suri with greater frequency, and Katie eventually filed for divorce to protect the little girl.

A key detail in the Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes divorce filing was the location in which it was filed: The 33-year-old actress made if official in New York.

She does not want Tom, 49, to control decisions relating to Suri's religion, and feels N.Y. is far more likely to grant her request for sole custody.

Holmes reportedly is not after money - she had plenty before they got married and there's a prenup in place anyway - just little Suri Cruise.

Tom deeded their NYC apartment to Katie last year, reportedly for tax purposes; she's using it to establish residence, and file for divorce, in the city.

What is Scientology and is Katie right to be running scared? You will surely have plenty to say about it in the comments, but we leave you with this:

Here's Cruise describing Scientology and what the faith means to him in a video leaked in 2008. Clearly, the man takes it very seriously ...

Source

Here goes another Hollywood couple that are splitting.  I'm still sadden over Heidi and Seal's divorce.   Though there were always rumors regarding about their marriage, I didn't think that they would end it.

Guest monkeyinabarrel

lol I never realized tom was shorter on all seriousness though I hope Katie will make it out ok and she gets Suri, I've heard scientology is a very wacky cult

Guest angelzstar

lol I never realized tom was shorter on all seriousness though I hope Katie will make it out ok and she gets Suri, I've heard scientology is a very wacky cult

Guest whizzer's_rose

is that a panda or a koala? she seems to love that plushie toy a lot-reminds me of my younger years when I tote around a plush dalmatian wherever I go minus the celebrity parents-LOL! In all honesty- I was kinda sad how Katie went from the starry-eyed woman to the sad-eyed woman she is today-what a transformation.

Guest Fabiola

Katie Holmes has emerged for the first time since filing for divorce from her husband Tom Cruise last week.

article-2167825-13E58745000005DC-366_634

article-2167825-13E5F9C9000005DC-722_306 article-2167825-13E5F9D8000005DC-66_306x

Defiant: The 33-year-old looked in surprisingly good spirits 

article-2167825-13E5E20C000005DC-695_634

No ring: It is the first time Katie has been seen without her wedding band

article-2167802-13E5E57A000005DC-529_634

Worried: Katie Holmes emerged in public for the first time yesterday - flanked by a three man detail of bodyguards amid reports she is being followed by armed men

article-2167802-13E5D594000005DC-676_634

article-2167802-13E57CCD000005DC-905_634

Support system: Katie's father Martin Holmes, a prominent Ohio-based attorney, is said to be helping his daughter with the divorce

article-2167840-13E583A6000005DC-512_634

Teen dream: Katie Holmes is pictured as a fresh-faced teenager in a picture taken from her high school yearbook. 

article-2167840-13E58391000005DC-166_634

Having fun: The actress is pictured as a fresh-faced teenager enjoying her teenage years in her hometown of Toledo, Ohio

article-2167840-13E583F3000005DC-621_634

Freedom: During high school Katie enjoyed doing fun things like painting her face and cheerleading from the stands with her friends during volleyball games

article-2167840-13E583C3000005DC-763_634

article-2167840-13E5839B000005DC-702_634article-2167840-13E583E3000005DC-756_634

Happy home: Katie lived in this Ohio home with her parents Martin and Kathleen whilst growing up

Guest k r e m e s

Honestly, she should have expected this since the beginning but I can understand if she got caught up in the romance and lifestyle.  I hope Katie gets full custody of Suri and everything she.  I have always loved Katie since her Dawson's Creek days.

itemprop="headline" style="color: rgb(59, 55, 59); padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; line-height: 1.05em; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); " itemprop="headline" style="font-size: 1.833em; font-weight: normal; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; line-height: 1.05em; "Tom Cruise 'banned Katie Holmes from Dawson's Creek reunion'Tom Cruise reportedly refused to let Katie Holmes agree to a Dawson's Creek reunion.

Holmes was keen to work with her former co-stars Michelle Williams, James Van Der Beek and Joshua Jackson on a Dawson's Creek movie, Us Weekly claims.

rexfeatures_1551930a.jpg tom_cruise_katie_holmes_6.jpgHowever, rumors have now suggested that Cruise was unhappy about the idea.

"[Producers] were begging her to sign on for a reunion movie," a source alleged. "Tom said absolutely no way and thought going backward would be bad."

The insider added: "[Holmes] didn't care how 'low-brow' he thinks Dawson's Creek is. She wanted to do the movie and reconnect with her fans."

Williams recently said that she would be "totally up" for a Dawson's Creek reunion, while Van Der Beek has said he'd be open to it if someone came up with a "brilliant idea".

Holmes filed for divorce from Cruise after five years of marriage last week and is reportedly seeking sole custody of their 6-year-old daughter Suri.

katie_holmes_5_wenn3660930.jpg
A number of reports about the couple's relationship have emerged since news of the divorce, including claims that Holmes will lose millions of dollars because of her prenuptial agreement with Cruise.

Other rumors have suggested that Cruise is planning to file divorce papers in California to give himself a better chance of getting custody of Suri and that Holmes is feeling like she has been "set free" since the split.

Elsewhere, the Church of Scientology was forced to deny rumors that it had been tailing Holmes since she filed divorce papers against Cruise.http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a391365/tom-cruise-banned-katie-holmes-from-dawsons-creek-reunion.html

itemprop="headline" style="font-size: 1.833em; color: rgb(59, 55, 59); padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; line-height: 1.05em; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "Katie Holmes denies calling emergency Tom Cruise custody hearing
Katie Holmes's lawyer has denied reports that she filed for an emergency custody and child support hearing with Tom Cruise.

The actress, who announced her divorce from Cruise on Friday (June 29), was alleged to have filed an emergent application in New York on Tuesday (July 3), which would have given her "temporary emergency relief" for their daughter Suri, 6, and forced Cruise into a public court hearing there later this month. 
showbiz_katie_holmes_nyc_project_runway_ tom_cruise_katie_holmes_9.jpg
Sources even claimed to Hollywood Life that Holmes filed the application because she "doesn't anticipate Tom cooperating" and warned that the decision to go to court was a sign of "a contentious divorce battle to come".

In response, Holmes's attorney Jonathan Wolfe informed People: "Other than her action for divorce, the only pending application filed by Ms Holmes remains her request for an anonymous caption [where papers in the case are filed anonymously]."

Cruise's lawyer Bret Fields seemed to confirm yesterday (July 4) that the star would file a rival divorce case.

It has been alleged that Cruise wants proceedings to take place in California, where he will have a better chance of gaining full custody of Suri.
http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a391740/katie-holmes-denies-calling-emergency-tom-cruise-custody-hearing.html

itemprop="headline" style="font-size: 1.833em; color: rgb(59, 55, 59); padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; line-height: 1.05em; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes reach divorce settlementTom Cruise and Katie Holmes have reached a settlement on their divorce.

The Hollywood ex-couple, who announced their split less than a fortnight ago, have agreed on financial matters as well as arrangements for their daughter Suri.
tom_cruise_katie_holmes_2.jpg
Holmes's attorney Jonathan Wolfe confirmed in a statement to People: "The case has been settled and the agreement has been signed. We are thrilled for Katie and her family and are excited to watch as she embarks on the next chapter of her life.

"We thank Tom's counsel for their professionalism and diligence that helped bring about this speedy resolution."

Cruise and Holmes released a joint statement only an hour ago asking for privacy in the wake of their break-up.

The statement insisted that the former couple respected each other's beliefs following allegations that Cruise's devotion to Scientology was a factor in their break-up.

It had already been reported that the pair were negotiating a settlement.
http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a392455/tom-cruise-and-katie-holmes-reach-divorce-settlement.html

Guest Fabiola

Three generations of Holmes girls!

The three generations seemed in good spirits as they took a trip to the Chelsea Piers in New York.

article-2171793-1402C2C1000005DC-380_634

article-2171793-1402C2E6000005DC-951_634

itemprop="headline" style="font-size: 1.833em; color: rgb(59, 55, 59); padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; line-height: 1.05em; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "Tom Cruise lawyer threatens to sue 'National Enquirer'
Tom Cruise's lawyer has threatened to sue the parent company of the National Enquirer for hundreds of millions of dollars.

The current issue of the tabloid has a cover referring to the Oblivion actor's "House of Horrors", and claims that he was behind "abuse", "punishments" and "humiliation".
showbiz_tom_cruise_national_enquirer_cov
Allegations made within include the claim that Suri was made to stay for five months in a "tiny, windowless room".

The Hollywood Reporter has posted a letter sent on July 11 by Cruise's lawyer Bertram Fields to American Media, Inc, describing the article as "disgraceful and lurid" and "riddled with lies".

The letter goes on to claim that the story will cause Cruise "hundreds of millions of dollars of professional and personal damages, for which [Cruise's team] intend to hold American Media, and everyone who participated in the perpetuation of this scurrilous attack, jointly and severally liable".

Referring to the cover's allegation that Tom Cruise is a "monster", Fields wrote: "Mr Cruise is certainly not a 'monster'. He is a caring father, a hardworking actor and, above all, an honest, decent man."

The letter ends with a demand for the National Enquirer to retract "each and every one of [its] false assertions".

Recent reports about Cruise's split with Katie Holmes have included the claim that the actress used a secret phone to plan her divorce, and turned to both Nicole Kidman and Victoria Beckham as confidantes.
Source

• 1 month later...

itemprop="headline" style="color: rgb(59, 55, 59); font-size: 1.833em; padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 5px; line-height: 1.05em; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "Tom Cruise 'to pay $400,000 child support for daughter Suri'Tom Cruise has reportedly been ordered to pay $400,000 (£253,000) a year to Katie Holmes as child support for their daughter Suri.

The pair finalized their divorce earlier this week, after splitting in June
 tom-and-katie. showbiz_katie_holmes_suri_cruise.jpg
A prenuptial agreement signed before their marriage meant Katie Holmes received no lump sum from Cruise's estimated $250 million fortune, TMZ reports.

It is also reported that Holmes will receive no spousal support.

The child support payments for Suri - described as "way less than a judge could have ordered" - will apparently be made until she turns 18. Cruise has also been ordered to pay expenses for Suri, including medical, education and extracurricular costs.

It is also said to have been agreed that Suri will not attend a "residential school" now or during her high school years, seeming to rule out her attending a Scientology boarding school.
Source

• 2 years later...

Katie Holmes on Tom Cruise divorce: 'I don't want it to define me'
Katie Holmes has spoken about life as a single mother after her Tom Cruise split, revealing she no longer "has fear".
The 35-year-old actress reflected on her highly-publicised 2012 divorce from the Hollywood actor to People.
Katie Holmes Z100 Jingle Ball, New York, America - 13 Dec 2013

"I don't want that moment in my life to define me, to be who I am," she explained. "I don't want that to be what I'm known as. I was an actor before, an actor during and an actor now." 
She continued: "I don't have any fear now, I don't have a lot of rules for myself, and I don't take myself that seriously."
Holmes will make her directorial debut with an adaptation of the book All We Had by Annie Weatherwax and will also star as a mother on the brink of poverty in the film. 
It was recently confirmed as well that she will reprise her role as Jackie O in the follow-up to 2011 miniseries The Kennedys.
Speaking about her busy career of late, she enthused: "I feel ready for new challenges."Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes at the 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in February

The star also talked lovingly about 8-year-old daughter Suri from her former relationship with Cruise, and how she "means everything" to her.
On parenting she added: "I'm learning every day, and I have been since the minute I became a mom." 
And on her home life with Suri, she joked: "My patience has grown, but between 4 and 6pm... I mean, wow.
"Between tickle fights and glitter art, I try to throw in some manners along the way." 
Holmes also takes on the role of gun-toting teacher-turned-vigilante in upcoming black comedy Miss Meadows. 
Miss Meadows will be released in the US on November 14. A UK release date is yet to be confirmed.
Source

Archived