Staying over every night = bad idea?

Guest kimmayyyy

Guest kimmayyyy

My boyfriend of almost six months recently moved into a new apartment by himself (he had a roommate at his old place). Since he moved in last week, I've stayed over every night, whereas before I would only stay over on the weekends because his old place was smaller and we didn't know how his roommate felt about me staying over. But since that barrier is no longer there, there's obviously more freedom in how often I can stay over. 
A couple days after he moved in, he made a copy of a key to his apartment for me and told me I was welcome to stay and work whenever I wanted. Some of the kitchen cabinets are too tall for me, so he organized things so that I would be able to reach them. He suggested that "while it might be scary," I should store some of my clothes there so I wouldn't have to go back and forth so often. 
This is my first actual relationship (we are both 23), and as we hit that six-month mark I'm starting to get a little nervous, wondering if that "honeymoon" phase is going to be over soon and if he's going to start getting bored with me. Before he moved in here, I asked him how often he thought I'd be staying over, and he said "Honestly, probably a lot." I've told him on numerous occasions that if he wants his space, then he should let me know and kick me out of his apartment. He said that he would, but that he loves my being here. 
I know he said he would let me know when he needs his space, but is it still not a good idea to stay over every night? Should I draw some line somewhere? How often do you stay with your boyfriend or girlfriend? 

Guest MKHnic

I think it's fine to stay there almost every night. That's pretty normal for relationships that are getting serious. Just make sure that on nights where he might have guy friends wanting to do guy stuff or whatever over that you aren't there. Just give him the normal amount of space- but you are in a relationship and it's pretty normal to want to spend almost all your time with your partner. It's probably a good thing for your relationship that he now has his own place with no roommate because it gives both of you a lot of freedom. Dealing with room mates and wanting a partner to stay the night is the worst. So now you are free to develop and strengthen your relationship even more.

He said he loves you being there and that he'll tell you when he needs time alone. Sounds fine to me. Don't spend time worrying about if he will get bored of you. It's not healthy for the relationship to dwell on those thoughts.

Guest itcouldbeworse

You...sound a lot like me.

I spend a lot of time (not my whole life mind you, but definitely time) with my boyfriend at his place, and I don't find it unhealthy as long as you both aren't smothering each other or severely cutting into "guy time" or "girl time." Make sure you still see you friends/family or whoever you used to see before you guys started spending so much time together, and not just with your sig other; I don't know about you, but I'm not a huge fan of "my boyfriend/girlfriend goes wherever I go even if I haven't seen my friends in a month." Even though you're close and may love each other and want to spend a lot of time together, you both still need time apart.

And about that boredom thing, I can totally relate with you. That was one of my biggest fears heading into my relationship, but you have to definitely not just put it on the back burner but in the fridge. It's not good to dwell on, it can seriously bog you down, it can make you really insecure, and you definitely don't want to be insecure about your relationship. If boredom happens, it happens, and you guys just weren't meant to be. Live in the moment with your boyfriend so you have some good memories even if it does.

Guest HERMIT

I think so long as you keep the lines of communication open and not leave things to "mind reading" and/or subliminal interpretation, you should be fine whether you stay there as often or not as often as you want.  I think the only thing that I can further add is that while you are being considerate of what your boyfriend would like in terms of your 'staying over' arrangement, you make sure you also be honest with yourself and pay attention to what you ultimately want as well.  Maybe you don't want to visit as often as you have your own "me time" that you'd probably like to attend to as well - but you shouldn't be made to feel guilty or obligated to going and staying at your boyfriend's place due to 'perceived expectations'.  But again, this all boils down to the aforementioned open communication and honesty amongst yourselves.  So long as you have that, you have complete understanding - and not some unspoken mind-reading routine of what the other partner wants or is actually expecting.

Guest Blue Lemonade

If you both enjoy spending that much time with each other, then why not? I spent every night with my fiance from day 1, and we're still inseparable. It sounds like you guys have a healthy relationship, so I wouldn't worry about anything.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

I really think you're over thinking this. Live in the moment a little bit more.  You're creating problems that don't even exist! If you're both enjoying each other's company, then what is the issue?
Just stay open and honest with each other, be sure to give yourself "girl time" and if he wants his "guy time" then be understanding of that. No big deal!

Guest kels.huns

He sounds like the ideal boyfriend.. so considerate!

Since he is living alone, if you feel like you want to be with him every night, go a head. You're his gf and it looks like he welcomes you. If he cannot handle being with you and get bored of you, he is not meant for you.

My bf and I live together - we are going on our 6th year.. and yes, sometime I do get bored... but I let him know. And we work things out.

Guest hellokatie1618

I'm my boyfriend's best friend. I'm sleeping at his house a lot. We play games together with his guy friends, we grill, we cook together, it's great. If he didn't want you there, he would kick you out. You're fine, don't over think it or else you're going to keep telling him your concerns when there are none and sound annoying. Then there's a problem.

Guest mazdaspeedrx8

Let me keep this short and simple:
When we say we like you staying at our place as much as you want then that's what we meant. It's the whole reason why he gave you a key in the first place. When we feel that it's getting too "crowded", we'll let you know. Know what I'm saying? So all in all, he gave you the key, he gave you the privilege, so don't worry about it. 
- Some Dude

Guest ttrin

don't trip about how he feels bc he seems very upfront about his feelings of you being there so much.

this is obviously a personal issue. so if the consecutive nights staying over bother you-dont.

as for me, i like to keep my space, especially with the housing issue.

Hmmm I have this issue as well. Officially, I've only been with my boyfriend for about two weeks, but I've slept over like, 10 out of the 14 days. He tells me I can come over any time, sleep over as much as I want, leaves the keys when he goes to work, etc. tells me I'm low maintenance and loves my company.

I feel like the "leaving clothes" there is another way of saying "hey, let's live together", indirectly. Lol good luck. Let me know how it goes because I'm nervous as well!

Guest s h o x

I stayed at my girlfriends for 3 months, she gave me her only key to the house... lol. That tells me everything. And now she's gonna be staying at my place for like.. forever. soooo :D
You are fine, key = good stuff.

Archived