[drama 2004/5] The Immortal Lee Soon Shin 불멸의 이순신

Guest Jangoon

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Korea Times 04-15-2008 17:06

Local Epic Dramas to Air in Japanese Homes

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

080415_p14_local.jpg

Three warrior actors from epic drama, “Warrior’s Age.” The drama depicts the story of courageous warriors during the Goryeo Kingdom and will be aired in Japan soon. / Courtesy of KBS

Japanese fans have been loyal to Korean dramas ever since the successful "Winter Sonata'' (2002), starring Bae Yong-joon, visiting the filming sites and attending fan meetings of their favorite Korean stars. The demand is still high as they seek for more and something different.

At the MIPTV/Milia 2008, an annual international exhibition of audiovisual and digital contents held in Cannes, France, Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) signed a contract with a Japanese broadcast company for the export of four of their period dramas, "Dragon's Tears'' (1998), "King and Queen'' (1999), "Warrior's Age'' (2003) and "Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-shin'' (2004).

080415_p14_local1.jpg

Until recently, the Korean dramas Japanese viewers enjoyed watching were mostly "soap operas,'' with heartthrob celebrities starring in heartbreaking love stories. But the new dramas being sent to Japan are quite different ― they have historical backgrounds and plots.

"Tears of the Dragon'' (1998) depicts the life of King Taejong of the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910), while "King and Queen'' shows the passion and power during King Sungjong period of the same kingdom. "Warrior's Age'' is a story of the lives and warriors who lived during the Goryeo Kingdom (918-1392), while "Yi Sun-shin'' is a biographical drama of the Joseon admiral who saved the country from numerous Japanese invasions. Yi is one of the most admired figures in Korean history.

Although the stories are based on history with a pinch of imagination it is quite easy to catch up with once you understand the dialogue. What's notable is that another country, especially Japan with which Korea has had strained relations in the past, would want to watch period dramas depicting Korea's ancient history.

"It started with 'fusion' period dramas like 'Taewangsasingi' (The Four Guardian Gods of the King) that stars Bae Yong-joon. People simply wanted more. The interest was originally on a 'trendy drama' with a historical background, but now, it's more about pure period dramas. It is easier for the Japanese to understand Korean period dramas than other foreign countries' because of cultural, geographical and historical similarities. We (Korea and Japan) know each other quite well,'' An Jung-mun, the deputy director of the Global Strategy Department at KBS told The Korea Times.

He also added that Japanese viewers tend to focus on the drama itself, not the historical background or plot.

"Unlike Koreans (who are very sensitive to historical facts and storylines within a drama), Japanese seem to care less about these elements. It's more the entertainment quality they are after,'' he said.

Currently, "Hwangjini,'' starring actress Ha Ji-won ― a period drama that depicts the life of a gisaeng during the Joseon Kingdom ― started airing on NHK BS2 this month. The drama recorded an audience rating of 1.3 percent, higher than that of the first episode of "Winter Sonata,'' which was 0.3 percent, according to the Global Strategy Department of KBS.

Some may have worried that hallyu, or the Korean wave, has been dwindling as a whole, but for period dramas, it seems that hopes are high for yet another strong wave.

sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

-----

Source: KBS World

KBS Inks Record Contract to Export TV Shows

2008-04-11 18:55:37

080411_d01_j.jpg

KBS has signed a four-and-a-half million dollar contract to export its popular soap operas and other TV programs, the biggest overseas sales contract ever for a Korean broadcasting company.

KBS said Friday that it inked the export contract at the MIPTV fair in Cannes, France.

Programs to be exported are four history dramas that were huge hits in Korea, a high-definition documentary on the history of noodles, and a chlidren's show.

All of the history dramas will be exported to Japan, reflecting Japan's deep interest in Korean programs.

MIPTV is the world's biggest TV program fair held annually in Cannes. This year, 109 broadcasting companies participated in the event.

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

Contact the KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aaadramavr

I had watched with anticipation each weekend when this aired in SoCal a few years ago and still it sticks in my mind as one of the best dramas I have seen in my limited experience. I am dl it so I can watch it again and already I have been able to pick up more of the nuances as I can rewind and not lose any dialogue For a historical type drama it was truly riveting and I attribute that mainly to Kim Myung Min's superb acting. All around the cast was excellent but the star was the star. I am glad that I can catch up on any parts that I missed.

• 1 month later...
Guest koko35

Part 4 of Ep 9 died, Please check lind and reupload again . I am looking this drama qite a while,

Thank Cloud78 and Puela

Guest koko35

Hi

Cloud78 and Puela, I am watching a bit late. I am downloaliing in the moment. I found Part 4 of EP9

and part 3 of EP10 is missing . Please reupload or relink

very appreciated -

Guest cronosuriel

Part 4 of Ep 9 died, Please check lind and reupload again . I am looking this drama qite a while,

Thank Cloud78 and Puela

Yeah that's right... and part 3 of episode 10. I noticed that few days ago, i'm so sad cause i can feel i'm gonna love this drama so so much. ;)

By the way THANKS SO SO MUCH PUELA

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KOREA.net

Geobukseon cruise to revive Admiral Yi's patriotism

June 09, 2008

20085301601587903.jpg

Replica of Geobukseon behind naval cadets (Photo: Yonhap News)

Exhausted yet committed to protecting his country, Joseon naval leader Admiral Yi Sun-shin (1545-1598) had no time to rest when he was briefed about the hundreds of invading Japanese ships heading to Uldolmok, a strategic point in the South Sea on their way to land on the Korean peninsula in September 1597.

Yi had only 13 ships left. However, they miraculously managed to defeat hundreds of ships of the enemy on Uldolmok and Beokpajin, another strategic point for marine battles, during the reign of King Seonjo (1552-1608) of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910).

20085301663321481.jpg

Geobukseon cruise ship

This was one of Yi's sweeping war victories against the Japanese fleet during the 1592-1598 Toyotomi Hideyoshi invasion of the Korean Peninsula, including the Hansando Daecheop (sea battle on Hansan Island in 1592) and Myeongryang Daecheop (sea battle on Myeongryang Strait in 1597).

The details were recorded in Joseon-wangjo-sillok (The Royal Record of the Joseon Dynasty) and Nanjung-ilgi, Yi's personal war diary, still read by thousands of Koreans today.

20085301675871508.jpg

Portrait of Yi Sun-shin carried at a parade (Photo: Yonhap News)

Now, 410 years after Yi's death, Haenam County in Jeollanam-do (South Jeolla Province) plans to revive the spirit of Admiral Yi Sun-shin by operating a turtle-shaped cruise ship named Geobukseon, after Yi's turtle-shaped warship. This creation of his is considered one of the world's first ironclad battleships.

From October this year, Haenam County Office will run the cruise on a one-hour 15-kilometer route that will pass Usuyeong, Uldolmok and Beokpajin, three main battle sites where Admiral Yi's Joseon warships defeated Japanese invaders.

200853015383053008.jpg

Usuyeong, Jeollanam-do

Once the cruise departs from Usuyeong jetty, it will turn off the engine so that passengers can feel the swift speed of the current when the ship approaches Uldolmok to introduce Admiral Yi's war strategies.

It was these strategies, based on his broad knowledge about the geographical features of the Korean coastline, that he used to defeat the attackers, winning more than 30 naval battles.

In the battle at Uldolmok, Admiral Yi used the swift current of the shore, hidden reefs and the depth of the water to vanquish his enemies, according to historical records.

20085301642645102.jpg

Nanjung-ilgi, Yi's personal war diary (Photo: Yonhap News)

To help tourists better understand Admiral Yi's life and his military record, Haenam County Office will build a memorial hall in Usuyeong where visitors can see records of Yi's naval victory at Myeongryang Strait, models of ships used in the battle and experience firing guns made during the Joseon Dynasty.

The county office also plans to complete the construction of a youth hostel in Usuyeong by July this year so that students and citizens can learn more about Admiral Yi's self-discipline and love for his country.

According to the county office, the youth hostel will be able to accommodate up to 500 visitors and will be used for Geobukseon cruise-related tour programs.

By Yoon Sojung

Korea.net Staff Writer

• 4 months later...
Guest happynnice

Thank you ever so much for uploading this drama series, maintaining the links, and providing the related information and news. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Heraldm & TNS

Admiral Yi Sun-shin moves nation (코리아헤럴드)

2005-08-15

An armada of Japanese warships gather around the Myeongryang Straits in September 1597. Intoxicated with the overwhelming victory a year before over the Joseon fleet commanded by Won Gyun, they expect to wipe out the remnants of Joseon naval forces in the upcoming battle. As warships from both sides engage each other, innumerable arrows, bullets and cannon balls fly boisterously across the sea, blackening the sky.

Led by Admiral Yi Sun-shin, the tiny Joseon fleet with only 13 vessels repels 333 Japanese ships, regaining control of the sea.

The scenes of the memorable triumph boosted the viewers' rating of "Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-shin," a historical drama aired on KBS-1 TV every weekend, which has continued to rise over 10 straight weeks since June 11. According to TNS Media Research and AGB Nielsen Media Research, the rating rose to 27.5 percent and 28.5 percent on July 30 and 31, respectively.

The historical epic enthralls many viewers with its spectacular battle scenes and the touching words by Admiral Yi played by Kim Myeong-min. "I have never seen any TV drama like this one, which is so moving that I can't sleep because tears well up whenever I think about it," said a viewer.

Another 28-year-old fan also expressed his impression, saying, "Admiral Yi Sun-shin led the hand-to-hand battle on the front, swinging his sword. That scene, I guess, captured the attention of viewers like me."

Such public favor for the drama seems to derive partly from Koreans' increasing negative sentiment toward Japan. Korea suffered from Japanese colonial rule for 1910-45 and anti-Japanese sentiment still runs deep among Koreans. Moreover, the disputes over Dokdo islands and historical distortions in Japanese textbooks have aggravated the sentiment. Thus, admiral Yi's victory can be taken as a kind of retaliation to relieve historically-entangled rancor.

People generally tend to narrow down the focus of Yi's victory to the fact that he defeated Japanese invaders and won all 23 battles against them, thereby he became an immortal being as a rescuer of the nation. Actually, Yi, with his brilliant strategies and tactics, recorded unprecedented triumphs in world history by sinking about 700 battleships and capturing 23 battleships during the seven-year war in the late 16th century.

But people don't ask how he could be such an immortal great man. He was not a born warrior, but rather an introvert. His life in itself was not smooth-going, but packed with numerous painful incidents. However, he managed to overcome all the ordeals and finally such hardships turned out to inspire him.

"The original aim of this drama was to suggest a new model of leadership by showing how Admiral Yi had coped with all the adversities," said Lee So-yeon, an associate producer of the drama.

The series shows that with adamant volition and endless endeavors, the admiral kept striving to be a master of his fate, which he owes his great success in the battles to. He devoted himself to defeating the enemy and to saving the state with indomitable courage and endurance. He had been trained and reborn to surmount his mortality. His motto, "We will all die if we try to live and we will all live if we try to die," demonstrates his imperishable spirit.

His sublime spirit will reach its climax when an iron-bullet hits him in the Noryang naval battle, in the last show scheduled to be aired on Aug. 28, with his last but immortal words, "The battle is under way. Never let the soldiers know my death. Never frighten the soldiers."

(davidpooh@heraldm.com)

By Jin Dae-woong

So it is Marco Polo of the EAST. :P

104 episodes is really difficult to follow, I really doubt I have that patience....blame it on regrettable YiSan that gave me the boring phobia :wacko:

Guest piano_lady

So it is Marco Polo of the EAST. :P

104 episodes is really difficult to follow, I really doubt I have that patience....blame it on regrettable YiSan that gave me the boring phobia :wacko:

I love saeguk but I admit that Yi San is a bit boring :vicx:

However, I LOVE Jumong! :blush:

So I'm wondering now how this drama is? :sweatingbullets:

I hope it is leaning towards the likes of Jumong :P

In any case, I have started downloading this drama in torrents...

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Twitch

December 31, 2005

[2005 YEAR IN REVIEW] Part 1: Korean TV Dramas

(Posted In Asia TV)

Out with the old, in with the new, they say. But did TV Dramas really do that in 2005, or was it more of the same? A once tiny little niche only enjoyed by Koreans, the industry has expanded into a monster whose import sales rival those of Korean movies. Often embraced by the same people who labeled them syrupy soap operas, Korean TV Dramas have been able to show to an overseas audience that's it's not all a game of love triangles and ridiculous tearjerkers. With the success of Historical Dramas like 대장금 (Dae Jang Geum: Jewel in the Palace) and 해신 (Emperor of the Sea), several Family Dramas in China and Hong Kong, and the usual strong performances by shows tailor made for the Korean Wave, the big three stations in Korea have finally learned there's a growing overseas audience ready to enjoy and appreciate what they're producing. But money creates problems, and those problems are starting to show more and more across several TV Dramas.

With all its cultural and economic benefits, the 한류 (Korean Wave) has been treated like a blessing from heaven, without stopping for a moment and thinking about its consequences. More and more producers are creating Dramas with foreign audiences in mind, especially fans in Japan and South East Asia. Because the importing of Korean Dramas from these countries has been mostly focused on star power, producers fight each other to cast the most popular actors, often without caring if he or she fit with the project or not. The game of big budgets and exotic locations was kind of fun a few years ago, giving a new spin to Cinderella Dramas, but it has now become an hindrance for most shows using the format.

Also, pretty stars with dubious acting skills continue to get pushed for no other reasons than to get a big, fat contract from Japan or Hong Kong, and use that funding to continue making the same pap over and over. The backlash just started, as the vicious circle those viewers have put themselves in will not only affect the kind of shows they'll see in the future, but also the variety of what will be produced. Because, even if Korean TV Dramas have never been simple to categorize, the more those viewers request those sappy, over-simplified wastes of time, all they'll get is the same old soup, stirred a little and with little to offer.

But throughout the year we at Twitch have tried to focus on the other side of the coin. The Dramas focusing on storytelling, acting, on bringing to the forefront social problems, and shows you'd never be embarrassed to enjoy in front of other people. Because there's more to Korean TV Dramas than Drama Queens and killer minivans, because the more you open your mind to this small little world, the more it'll be harder get out, for it's so addictive even the biggest skeptic will find his kind of show one day. Because pretty stars can have all the 15 Minutes they want, but TV Dramas are forever. 2005 wasn't a great year for TV Dramas, with the declining audience and MBC's problems, but one of the most pleasant things was the rebirth of storytelling. Whether that will make an even bigger impact in 2006 or it will be just a short flashback of the good old days is impossible to know, but we can always hope.

The biggest stars of the year were women: feisty, tough-as-nails women who didn't need to paint their search for independence with feminist propaganda. Women who wore shortcomings on their sleeves, not proud but also never embarrassed of them. Women who fought with all they had to overcome the difficulties modern Korean society put on them. We're talking about Sam-Soon, Soon-Yi, and Geum-Soon. Notice a trend? All three have 'Soon' in their names, which ironically means 'genuine' (純), all three and their respective TV Dramas recorded ratings over 40%, all three became a source of popular debate, and they all enjoyed tremendous popularity. Why? Perhaps because they weren't the usual 'Candy/Cinderella', but a more... 'genuine' version of past TV Drama heroines?

First was Sam-Soon (Kim Seon-Ah) in MBC's 내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon), giving a voice to all the women who feel the pressure of always having to look good in a society which often ignores your real talent, to focus on allegedly 'proper' canons of beauty. Sam-Soon was an heroine for all the 노처녀, those women past marriage age, with very little money, unemployed, and daydreaming of a better life. Stripping itself of all the formulae of the Cinderella Drama, 'My Lovely Sam-Soon' became a beacon of light in the obscurity created by the 'Korean Wave', which pushes vapid star vehicles with pretty faces who can't act, lazy writers who only care about jerking a tear or two from the viewer, and way too abstute producers who go for maximum effect with the minimum effort. It brought Kim Seon-Ah's career to new levels of popularity, and became the most popular Drama of the year, with ratings touching the 50%. It brought the word 국민드라마 (National Drama), those incredibly popular shows embraced by an immense number of people, back to Korean TV, after a first half of 2005 which looked gloomier and gloomier.

But even more surprising was the success of MBC's Daily Drama 굳세어라 금순아 (Be Strong, Geum-Soon) and its leading lady, the young Han Hye-Jin. The station's first big success in the Daily Drama field since 2002's 인어 아가씨 (Mermaid Girl), 'Geum-Soon' was another idolized figure, this time representing another often neglected demographic: young single mothers (she became a widow in her twenties) who have to raise a child by themselves. Casting someone like Han Hye-Jin, a familiar face but never a star, in a Drama spanning over 100 episodes was quite risky, especially because KBS had been almost without competition in this field for years. But in the long run their decision paid off, with a final rating of 40%. The show had the traditionally strong supporting cast, which always had been the backbone of MBC's best Dramas: from Park In-Hwan to Yang Hee-Kyung, from Yoon Yeo-Jung to Kim Ja-Ok, from Kim Yoo-Suk to Jang Yong. The show was not only inspirational, as Geum-Soon continues to obstinately fight despite all her difficulties, but also reminds of some of the glorious family Dramas of MBC's past.

The shocker of the year came from Choi Jin-Shil, though. Neglected by critics for supposedly being only a pretty face, despite giving great performances in timeless classics which made the 90s a Golden Age for Korean TV Dramas; ignored by the media for her painful and violent breakup with her baseball star husband, with two kids to raise and a declining career, the actress took a final shot at stardom, and she hit the jackpot. 장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) wasn't only a good Drama, but it also reminded people who criticized Choi that she was still there, fighting, showing the range people forgot she ever had. Despite its 신파 (shinpa, old school melodrama) roots, 'Life in Pink' feels like a great melodrama from the 60s: extremely well acted, with a sensational supporting performance by Na Moon-Hee, equally powerful and poignant; realistic even when everything but the kitchen sink is thrown at our heroine, and able to convey a message which, even if it might be 'obvious', still resonates with people. Perhaps the most surprisingly powerful Drama of the season.

Personally, the most welcome trend this year was the return to character-based Dramas, shows in love with storytelling and enveloping the viewer in the kind of atmosphere you can't help but get addicted to. 부활 (Rebirth) was a reminder that with a good cast and a superb script you can still make miracles on TV: with the kind of panache of a 40s Hollywood gangster film, the intricate storyline of some of the best Historical Dramas, and enough emotional power to make Terminator giggle like a high school girl. With a main cast promising very little, made of inexperienced youngsters and misused also-rans, the show not only made a star (Eom Tae-Woong), but also coupled some of the best veteran actors in the country, allowing them to go full force for 24 Episodes of some of the best TV you'll see this year.

Similarly, SBS' 그린로즈 (Green Rose) took a similar approach, but instead of focusing on the psychological war the Doppelganger syndrome puts on people, it was just a badass old school whodunit, complete with an episode featuring all the suspects reunited in the same house, eating together, one suspecting the other like in a giallo from the 70s. The only Drama to really take advantage of overseas locations and use that to develop the characters, 'Green Rose' is an even bigger surprise, considering it comes from SBS (a station known for easily surrendering to the appeal of Korean Wave tropes), and its leading man Go Soo wasn't exactly the next Song Kang-Ho.

Dramas with an Historical setting might not be the masterpieces of yesteryear, but they're still alive and kicking, if you ask me. 불멸의 이순신 (The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin) put the spotlight on the most beloved National Hero in Korea, Admiral Lee Soon-Shin, and did it well, without easy heroism and knee-jerk nationalism; 패션 70s (Fashion Seventies) revealed once again how much of a talent PD Lee Jae-Gyu is, with a cinematic lyricism which seemed lost since the mid 90s and their huge Dramas. Finally, 제5공화국 (The Fifth Republic) brought back memories of the great Political Dramas of old, without becoming a sledgehammer machismo-drenched bore like 야인시대 (The Rustic Era), nor putting its characters on a pedestal and idolizing them like a cheerleader, like the disappointing 영웅시대 (The Age of Heroes) did.

The end of 2005 gives a lot of hope for future TV Dramas. A lot of Dramas currently showing or under production are starting to look really promising: Lee Da-Hae's hilarious and spunky 마이걸 (My Girl) seems like a huge hit in the making, if it continues improving its ratings; Son Chang-Min's 신돈 (Shin Don) is one of the most intelligent and well written Historical Dramas since the last few classics of 2001, and there's a half dozen Dramas which will debut soon with a lot of potential. Biding farewell to an interesting 2005, we wish you a happy new year, hopefully with more TV Dramas in your viewing list.

You can also read our '[2005 Year in Review] Part 2: Korean Films' here

THE 10 BEST TV DRAMAS OF 2005

떨리는 가슴 (Six Love Stories) - MBC

PD: Oh Kyung-Hoon/Go Dong-Sun/ Shin Hyun-Chang/Lee Yoon-Jung/Kim Jin-Man/Park Sung-Soo

WRITER: Kim In-Young/Jung Hyung-Soo/Park Jung-Hwan/Hong Jin-Ah/Lee Kyung-Hee/In Jung-Ok

CAST: Bae Doo-Na, Kim Dong-Wan, Bae Jong-Ok, Song Seon-Mi, Kim Chang-Wan

Just the idea should be praised: an Omnibus Drama. Each producer and writer couple got two episodes to develop their story, and we're talking about quite an interesting bunch. Not only the show featured the talents of In Jung-Ok of 네 멋대로 해라 (Ruler of Your Own World), the great Jung Hyung-Soo of 상도 (Sang Do) and 다모 (Damo) and the 'Queen of Trendy Dramas' Lee Kyung-Hee, but also top notch PDs like Park Sung-Soo (Ruler of Your Own World), Kim Jin-Man (Ireland) and Oh Kyung-Hoon (Phoenix). One feels the show was just a little short to be really effective, as a couple of the six 2-Episodes parts could get their own TV Drama, especially the one featuring Bae Doo-Na (in a predictably fantastic performance). But at 12 Episodes, this is one of the most creative and well written shows of the year, with different subjects and a quality cast. Perhaps a bit uneven, and not all shows are of the same quality, but still well worth checking out.

AVAILABILITY: DVD (English Subs)

--

부모님 전상서 (My Precious Family) - KBS

PD: Jung Eul-Young

WRITER: Kim Soo-Hyun

CAST: Kim Hee-Ae, Song Jae-Ho, Jang Hyun-Sung, Song Seon-Mi, Kim Hae-Sook, Hur Joon-Ho

There were several good Family Dramas over the year, from KBS' 슬픔이여 안녕 (Goodbye To Sadness) to MBC's 한강수 타령 (Ode to The Han River), but for some reason I always end up falling for Kim Soo-Hyun Dramas. The biggest veteran in the industry, who wrote a little film called 미워도 다시 한번 (Love Me Once Again) in 1968, which changed Korean melodramas forever, Kim has become the most respected writer in the country, and there's a reason for that. She might throw a lot of obstacles at her characters, but always ends up making something glorious out of the most predictable situations. It might be Kim Hee-Ae, still one of the best actresses in Korea, who really should do some movies and show her talent to the world; might be the rest of the super-talented cast, or that vein of realism which makes Dramas like this always a treat to watch. In many ways, one of the most affecting shows of the year, with fantastic acting and top notch writing.

--

그린로즈 (Green Rose) - SBS

PD: Kim Su-Ryeong/Kim Jin-Geun

WRITER: Yoo Hyun-Mi, Kim Doo-Sam

CAST: Go Soo, Lee Da-Hae, Kim Seo-Hyung, Byun Hee-Bong, Kang Shin-Il, Park Sang-Myeon, Lee Jong-Hyuk, Han Jin-Hee

SBS has had a lot of big budget 특별기획 (Special Project) after the format took off in the mid 90s, but the fact they're throwing the term at anything these days has cheapened it, like that great novelty of adapting best sellers into one-two episodes Dramas wore off after two decades of the same old stories. With increasingly rare exceptions, the 'Special Project' Dramas have become an excuse to spend big money on exotic location that have very little or nothing to do with the story, and capturing pretty stars who have a large fanbase overseas. But, setting aside Lee Jae-Gyu's 패션 70s (Fashion Seventies), which operates on a totally different planet, there hasn't been too much to be excited about when it came to big budget Dramas on SBS... until 그린로즈 (Green Rose), the best of its kind since 2002's 올인 (All In). If it weren't for the fact it shares a lot of similar traits with the Drama of the year 부활 (Rebirth), I think this would have landed on most people's Top 10. But the masterpiece that was 'Rebirth's script just makes this -- a really good one, mind you -- pale in comparison. Still, there's plenty to enjoy here: for starters, the exotic location is not just there to shoot a few pretty scenes, and is well integrated within the storyline's development. Also, despite falling into some characteristic traps of SBS' Dramas (slightly hackneyed dialogue, a soundtrack very erratic in quality, too much posturing), 'Green Rose' is consistently engaging, intense and powerful. Go Soo might not have the raw talent, but he certainly puts a lot of effort into his roles, and it shows, especially when he doesn't have to force dialogue (he works better as the silent and mysterious type). Also, Lee Da-Hae completely steals the show, once again. She looks fresh, sweet and innocent enough when needed, but also mature, and her mood swings are more believable than anyone should expect from such a young actress. Nice supporting work from Park Sang-Myun and the predictably excellent Kim Seo-Hyung round up the package. Takes its time to fire up (first two episodes are kind of brutal... then, just like 'Rebirth', it all changes for the better), but very, very good. Just forget about 'Rebirth' when you watch it, the comparison is too difficult to hold up to for just about EVERYTHING.

--

해신 (Emperor of the Sea) - KBS

PD: Kang Il-Soo, Kang Byung-Taek

WRITER: Jung Jin-Ok, Hwang Joo-Ha

CAST: Choi Soo-Jong, Chae Si-Ra, Song Il-Guk, Lee Won-Jong, Kim Ah-Joong, Kim Gab-Soo

It used to be so easy, the 90s had some incredible Historical Dramas. But then came the Korean Wave, and even the last bastion of traditionalism was lost. Historical Dramas had to adapt to the new audience and new trends, and the final results were closer to melodramas than the almost documentary-like, labyrinthine political dramas which set the 90s on fire. From the makers of the great 태조왕건 (Wang Gun) comes this 'new age' Historical Drama, telling the story of Jang Bo-Go, one of the most (in)famous 'gods of the sea' in Korean History. Amazing locations, good acting (especially from Kim Gab-Soo and Lee Won-Jong) and a very intense, involving story. But still, compared to classics like 상도 (Sang Do) and 허준 (Hur Joon), something seems missing. It's hard to say, or even notice, especially if you've only seen a few Historical Dramas, but the fire of the old days seems lacking. Choi Su-Jong's first big role in a while, the usual top notch performance by Chae Si-Ra, and a good storyline to keep you engaged for its 50 Episodes make this one of the best Historical Dramas of the year. Still, I don't know if that's worth spending over $200 for the 3-part DVD set. Excellent, but the past has given us too many classics to feel impressed by stuff like this.

AVAILABILITY: DVD Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 (All English Subs)

--

내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon) - MBC

PD: Kim Yoon-Cheol

WRITER: Kim Do-Woo

CAST: Kim Seon-Ah, Hyun Bin, Jung Ryeo-Won, Daniel Henney, Na Moon-Hee, Kwon Hae-Hyo, Kim Jung-Hyun, Kim Ja-Ok, Lee Ah-Hyun

Highlight from our REVIEW:

But why did Korea fall in love with Sam-Soon? She swears a storm, isn't much of a snappy dresser, always ends up drunker than men twice her age, is insecure, constantly daydreams and cannot channel all her wits, charms and talents into a cohesive 'something' which will make her succeed. Hey... that's your answer. Our 'lovely' Kim Sam-Soon is loved because she's just like millions of women out there, with all their charms and flaws honestly and intelligently laid bare. So then, even the trite setup of the story becomes just a formality, for the way Kim Yoon-Cheol makes the Drama flow, and Kim Do-Woo's witty writing help Sam-Soon become a joy to watch. Kim Seon-Ah has done characters like this before, but the way she projects this idea of the real 'girl next door' is something of a triumph in her already successful career. It's not the usual cliche of the 'national sweetheart' winning the hearts of people, there's an underlying realistic tone which often might make silly scenes end up becoming more striking than anyone ever expected.

--

제5공화국 (The Fifth Republic) - MBC

PD: Im Tae-Woo, Kim Sang-Rae

WRITER: Yoo Jung-Soo

CAST: Lee Deok-Hwa, Seo In-Seok, Kim Young-Ran, Song Ok-Sook

MBC's 제5공화국 (The Fifth Republic) might be the worst of the 'Republic' series (no. 4 and 3 are classics), but it's still head and shoulders above most political dramas not directed by Im Sang-Soo. With a huge cast, including Historical Drama regulars Lee Deok-Hwa, Seo In-Seok, Lee Jung-Gil and Park In-Hwan, and one of the most controversial periods in Korean History (the coup d'etat by Jeon Doo-Hwan after Park Jung-Hee's assassination), 'The Fifth Republic' is one of the most intriguing Historical Dramas of recent memory. I might not agree or sympathize with the shows' take on certain figures, but I never let ideology take over judgment of artistic merit, which is why I deeply enjoyed this show. And thankfully it never stoops to the level of 영웅시대 (The Age of Heroes), which glamorizes its 'heroes' in an almost disgusting manner. Very intriguing, well acted and with a very strong script.

--

패션 70s (Fashion Seventies) - SBS

PD: Lee Jae-Gyu

WRITER: Jung Sung-Hee

CAST: Joo Jin-Mo, Cheon Jung-Myung, Lee Yo-Won, Kim Min-Jung, Lee Hye-Young, Hyun Young,

Highlights from our REVIEW:

The only major flaw of 'Fashion Seventies' is that it's not able to sustain the amazing emotional intensity of those first four episodes. But if that were the case, I'd be talking about one of the best shows of all time, so it's more a sense of disappointment than a real weakness. The quality seen on those episodes is so high, you'll keep looking for more. Which is why you might feel disappointed by the remaining 24 Episodes, which are nonetheless quite well made. I felt this while watching the show when it aired, but a second viewing on DVD helped eliminate that feeling, fleshing out the rest of the story in a better way, and letting the good acting of the older cast emerge. What's for sure is that the industry has found a new talented voice, that of PD Lee Jae-Gyu. Both his works -- 'Fashion Seventies' and 'Damo' -- display that kind of atmosphere which is hard to find in today's Korean TV Dramas, more concerned about ratings and overseas contracts than storytelling and evoking certain emotions. I'd actually love to see what Lee could do in Chungmuro, if given the chance. I wasn't there when greats like Kim Jong-Hak, Lee Byung-Hoon and Lee Jae-Gab started their careers, but given Lee Jae-Gyu's first two works, I'd say we have a major talent on our hands.

--

장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) - KBS

PD: Kim Jong-Chang

WRITER: Moon Young-Nam

CAST: Choi Jin-Shil, Son Hyun-Joo, Lee Tae-Ran, Jang Dong-Jik, Na Moon-Hee, Kim Ji-Young, Jo Eun-Sook, Kwon Hae-Hyo, Jang Yong, Namgoong Min, Ahn Sun-Young

Highlights from our PREVIEW (Review coming soon):

Enter '장밋빛 인생' ('Life in Pink'), which is quickly turning into the new sensation on Korean TV, and is putting Choi on the stage she deserves for the first time in over 5 years. After the Kim Sam-Soon syndrome, the TV Drama population needed something to settle down. Kim Jung-Eun's non-sensical and ridiculous 루루공주' ('Princess Lulu') wasn't certainly the answer. As great as it were, even '부활' ('Rebirth') wasn't exactly what Ajumma in their mid 30s would enjoy watching. But Choi, playing Maeng Soon-Yi, a character a little too similar to her real life situation to be ignored, is igniting discussions, not so much about the Drama, but Choi herself. First few episodes averaged at around 30% ratings and destroyed any competition, a spectacular result considering expectations.

AVAILABILITY: DVD out in January (English Subs)

--

불멸의 이순신 (The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin) - KBS

PD: Lee Sung-Joo, Han Joon-Seo

WRITER: Yoon Young-Soo, Park Young-Sook, Jang Gi-Chang

CAST: Kim Myung-Min, Choi Jae-Sung, Kim Gyu-Cheol, Lee Jae-Ryong

Another KBS Drama, started in 2004 but ending this year was on the mouth of Korean TV viewers for most of 2005: telling the story of National Hero Lee Soon-Shin, one of the greatest naval commanders of all time, the Historical Drama 불멸의 이순신 (The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin) managed to tell the story of one of the most beloved figures in Korean history, allowing its figure to slowly grow across its 100+ Episodes, showing all his struggles, his brilliant strategy, but also the painful life he had to live. With top notch sets and art direction, the 35 Billion Won project might have forced KBS to stop broadcasting Historical Dramas for a while, but it surely hit the jackpot when it came to showing all its budget on the screen. Naval fights rarely seen on Korean TV, great dialogue, a cast of veterans including Kim Gyu-Cheol, Jo Min-Gi, Lee Jae-Ryong and more made this one of the most impressive Historical Drama in the last few years, although it cannot probably reach the heights of 허준 (Hur Joon), 상도 (Sang Do) or 홍국영 (Hong Guk-Young), not to mention earlier classics. But the real star of the show is Kim Myung-Min, a capable and underrated young star, who showed his talent both in films and TV Dramas, but had been undeservedly misused until his eye-opening role in 꽃보다 아름다워 (More Beautiful Than Flowers). Short of Eom Tae-Woong in 'Rebirth', his is the strongest performance of the year.

AVAILABILITY: Out on Highlight DVD this February (Part 1) and March (Part 2)

--

부활 (Rebirth) - KBS

PD: Park Chan-Hong, Jeon Chang-Geun

WRITER: Kim Ji-Woo

CAST: Eom Tae-Woong, Han Ji-Min, So Yi-Hyun, Go Ju-Won, Lee Jong-Gil, Kim Gyu-Cheol, Kang Shin-Il, Kim Gab-Soo, Gi Ju-Bong, Lee Dae-Yeon

Highlights from our REVIEW:

But this show needs to be seen, even if you've never seen a Korean TV Drama. Its script is almost flawless, the characters interesting, multifaceted and true to life. The 'love triangle' shenanigans are really only an afterthought, just there to pretend this is a Trendy Drama, and when there is a touch of melodrama it always feel sincere. Why? Because such emotional intensity is brought up in an amazing crescendo that when it explodes, it's like a Scud Missile. And I'm not talking about easy, formulaic 'Korean Drama' histrionics. Trust me, you'll feel it as well watching the show. Those who've read my film reviews might beg to differ, but I actually don't like hyperbole. Will you allow me to use it this time? It's deserved. I'm going to pull out the dreaded 'M' word. M for 'maybe the best Korean TV Drama in the last 3 years'; M for 'maybe the TV Drama which will open you to the fact it's not all about lame love triangles and pretty faces acting like fools'. And, definitely, M for masterpiece.

AVAILABILITY: Out on Director's Cut DVD this January (English Subs)

--

THE WORST 10 TV DRAMAS OF 2005

10. 봄날 (Spring Days) - SBS

09. 환생 (NEXT) - MBC

08. 건방선생과 별사탕 (Hardtack Teacher and Star Candy) - SBS

07. 웨딩 (Wedding) - KBS

06. 루루공주 (Princess Lulu) - SBS

05. 러브홀릭 (Loveholic) - KBS

04. 그녀가 돌아왔다 (Ice Girl) - KBS

03. 해변으로 가요 (Let's Go To The Beach) - SBS

02. 세입 클러버 (Three Leaf Clover) - SBS

01. 슬픈연가 (Sad Sonata) - MBC

--

Sure, you'll say... everybody and their dog is doing Awards at the end of the year, did I need to add another to the list? I don't blame you, but these awards weren't just hand picked by yours truly. I gathered a few friends (8 total) from the Soompi Forums - the biggest K-Drama community on the net, with 25 trillion members - all supreme connoisseurs of the fine arts of K-Dramas, much more than I could possibly ever be. And, after intense and laborious debates (yeah... right), we came up with the big daddy, our first big Annual X Awards. To the winners, a very lucky 2006, with the hope they'll repeat themselves next year. Instead, losers will be tied to a chair, and forced to watch all of Yoon Seok-Ho's Season Dramas non-stop until Easter. So, without further ado, here's the results:

Special thanks to Cyn for sending me the ballots, and all those who voted.

THE 1ST ANNUAL X AWARDS - TV DRAMAS

STAR OF THE YEAR

Eom Tae-Woong, Kim Seon-Ah

Two winners, as our 'panelists' and I ended up with two chart toppers, and I'd say they both deserve it: Kim Seon-Ah, for making an impressive return to the small screen, for finally looking like a real 'girl next door', and for helping normal women get over just a little the many complexes they have; Eom Tae-Woong, for finally getting out of his famous sister's shadow: a while ago, Eom Jung-Hwa joked she'll now have to start calling herself 'Eom Tae-Woong's sister', as the young man has become one of the most sought after actors in the industry, after his fantastic performance in 부활 (Rebirth).

Other Contenders: Han Hye-Jin

--

BEST TV DRAMA

부활 (Rebirth) - KBS

Eom Tae-Woong's resurrection wasn't the only 'rebirth' of the best TV Drama in years: the kind of rhythm and pacing only people in love with storytelling can sustain, that pathos and intensity TV Dramas can rarely show, amazing acting, an almost flawless screenplay... pretty much a perfect show. I just hope we've done enough to spread the word on this must see gem, there's too many great shows like this gathering dusts on DVD shelves while gazillions of lame Choi Ji-Woo Dramas sell out like hot cakes.

Other Contenders: 장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) - KBS, 패션 70s (Fashion 70s) - SBS, 그린로즈 (Green Rose) - SBS, 내 이름은 김삼순 (Kim Sam-Soon) - MBC

--

BEST ACTOR

Eom Tae-Woong - [부활 (Rebirth) - KBS]

It was a blink and you miss it moment: Eom Tae-Woong and his two-three scenes in Jang Jin's film debut 기막힌 사내들 (The Happenings) in 1998 started what was a very anonymous career until 2005. Although he didn't hide his being the brother of a superstar (singer cum actress Eom Jung-Hwa) changing his stage name, the pressure and barrier that most actors facing this situation have to go through was hard to overcome. He always worked hard, but it never seemed to work: misused in ridiculously small roles on the big screen, wasted on the small screen with tiny supporting characters in often poor Dramas. But 부활 (Rebirth) changed it all. Playing not one, but three characters (two Twins and the Doppelganger which results from the mix of the two's personalities), in the big surprise of the year, Eom not only raised eyebrows in the TV Drama industry, but also in Chungmuro. After completing the TV Drama, he was instantly cast in Kim Tae-Yong's interesting new film, 가족의 탄생 (The Birth of a Family), which could be the dark horse of 2006 when it comes to box office. Why? He's playing a lover... of 60-something veteran Go Doo-Shim. If that doesn't sound exciting, I don't know what will. Certainly one of the young talents to look out for in 2006, he improved immensely this year.

Other Contenders: Kim Myung-Min (The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin), Cha In-Pyo (Hong Kong Express), Kim Ju-Hyeok (Lovers in Prague)

BEST ACTRESS

Choi Jin-Shil - [장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) - KBS]

More than being happy for the 47% ratings of this great little show, I'm happy for Choi's rebirth. She suffered too much for other people's doing (the media accusing her of things she wasn't guilty of, her ex-husband's disgusting behavior), and it looked like she could never recover. But she got up one more time, and defeated all the odds. If that's not inspirational, I don't know what is.

Other Contenders: Lee Yo-Won (Fashion Seventies), Lee Da-Hae (Green Rose), Kim Seon-Ah (My Lovely Sam-Soon)

--

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Kang Shin-Il - 부활 (Rebirth) - KBS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Chu Sang-Mi - 변호사들 (Lawyers) - MBC

BEST NEW ACTOR: Kim Dong-Wan - 슬픔이여 안녕 (Goodbye To Sadness) - KBS

BEST NEW ACTRESS: Nam Sang-Mi - 달콤한 스파이 (Sweet Spy) - MBC

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST: 부활 (Rebirth) - KBS

BEST PD: Lee Jae-Gyu - 패션 70s (Fashion Seventies) - SBS

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR: Choi Jin-Shil - 장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) - KBS

BEST SCREENPLAY: 부활 (Rebirth) - KBS

BEST PRODUCTION VALUES: 패션 70s (Fashion Seventies) - SBS

SITCOM OF THE YEAR: 안녕 프란체스카 (Hello Francesca) - MBC

BEST GUILTY PLEASURE: 달콤한 스파이 (Sweet Spy) - MBC

STATION OF THE YEAR: KBS

~~The Other Side of the Coin~~

WORST TV DRAMA: 루루공주 (Princess Lulu) - SBS

WORST ACTOR: Oh Ji-Ho - 가을소나기 (Autumn Shower) - MBC

WORST ACTRESS: Kim Hee-Sun - 슬픈연가 (Sad Sonata) - MBC

WORST NEW ACTOR: Dennis O'Neill - 달콤한 스파이 (Sweet Spy)

WORST NEW ACTRESS: Jung Ryeo-Won - 가을소나기 (Autumn Shower) - MBC

WORST ENSEMBLE CAST: 웨딩 (Wedding) - KBS

WORST STATION OF THE YEAR: MBC

-----------

TOP 10 RATED TV DRAMAS OF 2005

01. 50.5% 내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon)

MBC [Cast: Kim Seon-Ah, Hyun Bin, Daniel Henney]

02. 47.0% 장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink)

KBS [Cast: Choi Jin-Shil, Son Hyun-Joo, Na Moon-Hee]

03. 40.1% 굳세어라 금순아 (Be Strong, Geum-Soon)

MBC [Cast: Han Hye-Jin, Park In-Hwan, Kang Ji-Hwan]

04. 36.2% 부모님 전상서 (My Precious Family)

KBS [Cast: Kim Hee-Ae, Song Jae-Ho, Jang Hyun-Sung]

05. 34.5% 별난여자 별난남자 (The Bizarre Bunch)

KBS [Cast: Jung Joon, Kim Ah-Joong, Go Ju-Won]

06. 34.2% 슬픔이여 안녕 (Goodbye To Sadness)

KBS [Cast: Park Sun-Young, Kim Dong-Wan, Oh Yeon-Soo]

07. 33.1% 불멸의 이순신 (The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin)

KBS [Cast: Kim Myung-Min, Lee Won-Jong]

08. 33.0% 해신 (Emperor of the Sea)

KBS [Cast: Choi Su-Jong, Chae Si-Ra, Song Il-Guk]

09. 32.5% 쾌걸춘향 (Sassy Chunhyang)

KBS [Cast: Han Chae-Young, Jae Hee, Eom Tae-Woong]

10. 32.3 봄날 (Spring Days)

SBS [Cast: Go Hyun-Jung, Jo In-Sung, Ji Jin-Hee]

» Posted by X at December 31, 2005 09:26 AM

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KBS 2008-12-08

http://english.kbs.co.kr/society/news/1559380_11773.html

Tongyeong Publishes Book on Yi Sunshin's Naval Battles

081208culture125ae220nf0.jpg

Tongyeong City in South Gyeongsang Provine says it has published a book that lists all the naval battles that Admiral Yi Sunshin fought in during the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592. They include the Okpo naval battle and the Noryang naval battle. The 70-page book is entitled "Admiral Yi Sunshin's 23 Invincible Battles." According to the city, 1,250 copies of the book have been published.

Comprising three chapters, the book features the major naval battles that Yi took part in, their background, reasons for victory and lessons to be learned from each battle as well as maps. During the Japanese Invasion of Korea, Yi commanded the Korean navy in a total of 23 naval battles and won all 23.

The city plans to use the book to educate civil servants and promote the history of the city to its residents. It also plans to distribute the books to the South Gyeongsang Provincinal Government and the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Sports as well as historians.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2009.01.06

Kim Hoon, a writer who writes with his body

He is a writer who strikes us as a tough warrior rather than as a frail scholar. He insists on writing longhand using only pencils, and shuns automobiles in favor of tooling around on a bike. But most of all, he is the writer of an entirely new kind of historical novels in Korea. Park Hae-hyun, a reporter for the Chosun Ilbo, met with novelist Kim Hoon for this interview. -- Ed.

(Source: Korea Literature Translation Institute)

Kim Hoon writes in longhand, using pencils. He worked as a journalist for over 20 years before he started publishing novels, but strangely enough, he has never touched the keyboard of a typewriter or a computer. In this digital day and age, he insists on writing the analog way. Kim has always said, "When I write with pencils, I feel that my body is propelling the writing forward. I am incapable of writing a single line without this feeling." To him, a pencil is not merely a tool for writing, but the embodiment of the writer himself. Kim Hoon uses his entire body to show the moment in which the body and the words of the writer become one to reveal that a writer's style is, literally, none other than the writer himself.

Kim Hoon calls himself a bicycle racer. He does not have a driver's license. He journeyed to the southern part of the Korean peninsula riding his bike, which he named Pungryun, meaning "wheels of the wind," and wrote a series of travel essays. He is a writer who rejects computers and writes with a pencil, a writer who shuns automobiles and troubles himself by stepping on the pedals of his bicycle. People now consider him an evangelist promoting bike riding as part of the green lifestyle that is being emphasized in Korea today.

200901050030aa60c37nm5.jpg

Kim Hoon

Kim Hoon, however, brushes this off, saying, "pencils and bicycles are not exactly my source of pride or my idiosyncrasies." He goes on to confess, "It's not that I reject machinery out of free will; it's simply that machines tend to break down at my touch. In other words, I'm disabled, a handicapped person, who has fallen behind the progress of the machine-oriented civilization." But Kim has succeeded in turning his weaknesses into strengths. There has always been a tendency in Korean society to equate writers with frail and bookish, scholars. Kim, with his pencils and bikes, however, has come to be recognized as a writer who writes with his body, a writer who strikes us as a tough warrior rather than as an effeminate scholar. It is no coincidence that his most widely read work is Song of the Sword, his novel about Admiral Yi Sun-sin, who is considered as almost sacred in Korean history.

Song of the Sword not only sold over a million copies in Korea but also garnered its author the prestigious Dongin Literary Award, a rare case of a single book accomplishing both critical and commercial success. Song of the Sword is a historical novel set against the backdrop of 16th century warfare between Korea and Japan. It has been translated into several languages in many different countries, including France where it was published as part of Gallimard's Du Monde Entier series.

The first-person narrator of Song of the Sword is Admiral Yi himself, who, with a small fleet, defended the kingdom of Joseon against the invading Japanese navy. Yi Sun-sin is revered as a national hero among the Korean people, and countless novels and films have been made about him. His heroic tale may have become too cliched even for Koreans. What, then, is the reason behind the success of Kim Hoon's novel in 21st century Korea?

First, in writing Song of the Sword, Kim Hoon took the form of the historical novel, but adopted a style and construction completely different from those of other Korean historical novels that had come before it. Kim categorized the historical novels of preceding generations into two types - romantic historical novels set in the royal court, and populist historical novels that center around common people - and aimed at overcoming both. He rejected both the romantic historical novel that fostered escapism in readers through the romance of historical heroes, and the populist historical novels that shed light on the life of the common people through the perspective of 20th century left-wing ideology. Instead of letting himself, the author, tell the story about people from the past, Kim chose the first-person narrative through which a historical figure reveals his interior feelings and thoughts.

The Admiral Yi Sun-sin in Song of the Sword is not an extraordinary superhuman or a mythical hero, but an individual caught up in existential agony in the midst of war. The strength that keeps him fighting in battle is not rooted in his loyalty to the state or the king, or his love for the people. He fights on with all his might because he has been thrown into this situation called war. His life becomes one with his sword, and his voice becomes the song of the sword. Because he keeps fighting despite a premonition that he will not make it out alive, his spirit cannot free itself from a sense of nihilism. In reality, Yi Sun-sin died in combat during the war's final battle.

The nihilism in Song of the Sword stirred up a heated controversy among critics. One pointed out that the novel lacked the historicity required for it to be regarded as a historical novel in the true sense of the word, that it was closer to an essay than a novel, and that it projected the author's nihilistic views on history and the world. In contrast, another critic took a positive view of Kim's nihilism, stressing that all writers are bound to assume a nihilistic standpoint in order to distance themselves from the events they depict, and that real choices can be made only in a nihilistic situation. Kim Hoon, he stated, opened a new path for the Korean novel by boldly making use of nihilism.

Such controversy, in fact, was what Kim had intended. It is true that Kim wanted to write a modern novel that delved deep into the interiors of an individual, freeing himself from the fixed form of the historical novel. He had also on many occasions openly expressed his aesthetics based on tragic nihilism. His insistence on writing with pencils and riding bicycles is a form of nihilistic criticism on the civilization of the 21st century, which emphasizes convenience, speed, and efficiency. Kim's sense of nihilism, in this aspect, is not a pessimistic attitude but an existential one, revealing a spirit of defiance against today's reality, and this is what resonates with many readers.

Kim Hoon published two other historical novels since Song of the Sword, one of which is titled Fortress on Mt. Namhan. This book was also a huge success, yet again accompanied by controversy from critics. In this novel as well, Kim Hoon captures the detailed psychological depths of individual minds with his distinctive, taut, and precise prose.

Fortress on Mt. Namhan is set during the war that was waged between the Korean kingdom of Joseon and Qing China in the 17th century. At the time, Joseon was no match for the Manchu dynasty that had conquered China. Nevertheless, Qing invaded Joseon because it had continued to pay respects to the fallen Ming dynasty, with which it had previously maintained tributary relations, and chose to ignore the authority of Qing, the new supreme power. Joseon's royal family and court officials fled the powerful Qing forces to the Namhansanseong (mountain fortress), where they were held up for 47 days within the fortress's locked gates, but in the end, the Joseon king surrendered, bowing down before the Qing emperor.

This novel touched on the historical wounds of the Korean people. In a cool, tightly-knit prose style, it depicts how the king and his subjects, soldiers, and the common people persisted, fought, and lost, in complete isolation inside the Namhansanseong, surrounded by the enemy. The two powers that maintain conflict throughout the novel are the advocates of peace and the proponents of war. The former maintained that they should preserve the kingdom through reconciliation with the Qing dynasty, and the latter argued that they should fight the Manchus down to the last man. The novel sides with neither, and instead, vividly recreates the fortress as a symbolic space in history, leaving room for the readers of today to interpret the story from a contemporary point of view. A historian noted that Kim's novel reflected the spiritual injury suffered by the isolated Korean people following the financial crisis in the late 1990s. Another interpretation saw the relationship between Joseon, Ming China, and the Qing dynasty, the new superpower, as a reflection of Korea's geopolitical reality in the Northeast Asia of the 21st century.

Upon publication of Fortress on Mt. Namhan, Kim Hoon, wary of politically-inclined readings of his work, commented, "Human reality cannot be made up solely of self-respect and glory. I believe it is inevitable that shame and submission be a part of life and history as well." Then he cautiously added, "I am unsure if my contemporaries will sympathize with the idea that even those inevitably disgraced for the sake of survival were just as beautiful as any other. I am neither on the side of the advocates of peace or the advocates of war, but on the side of those in pain. I hope the readers read this novel simply as a novel."

One thing is clear: Kim Hoon's historical novels, as they are being read, have the power to amplify controversies as they are reflected in the mirror of reality. On the other hand, many critics agree that his prose brilliantly captures the tragic and sublime beauty of humanity within the realm of mundane realities, elevating the aesthetic style of the novel to the height of poetry.

In addition to Song of the Sword and Fortress on Mt. Namhan, Kim Hoon has written another historical novel, Song of Strings. He has also published Rivers and Mountains Without End, a collection of short stories, and several books of non-fiction. Nowadays, he rides his bicycle around the suburbs of Ilsan in Gyeonggi Province, where he is writing a new novel, with a pencil.

The article above is reprinted from the magazine Korea. - Ed.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/dat...00901060079.asp

~

Song of the Sword

200901050031aa782fchy4.jpg

Song of the Sword is a first-person narrative told in the voice of historical hero Admiral Yi Sun-sin. It is an intimate and existential monologue of a man confronted with the harsh realities of war, loss, and indignity. The book begins in the year Jeongyu (1597), five years into the war against Toyotomi Hideyoshi's invasion. The following is the novel's first chapter, which opens as Yi arrives back on the southern coast, released after torture and interrogation as a result of intrigue against him in the capital.

Tears of the Sword

Flowers blossomed on each deserted island. The islands billowed like clouds as the evening sun lit the flowering trees. It seemed as if they might slip free of their moorings and drift beyond the darkening horizon. By the time the birds returned from this shore to their roosts on the dimming islands, the sparkling sunset had already hurried off to the horizon and died. At dusk, the remote islands were the first to be drawn into the shallow twilight and at dawn, they were the first to be returned to the world by the rising sun. Out at sea, it was always the most remote islands that died first and came back first.

As the setting sun scraped the shimmering scales of light off the water, the sea blackened and surged with the tide, crashing against the cliffs, the rumble of the surf tossing in the darkness. My sight line extended no further than the blackened bluff. This was the moment when the enemy fleet would swoop in once again on the dark crest of waves from the other side of the murmurous horizon, wings spread wide, bearing a mountain of guns and swords. I could not fathom the source of the enemy's rancor and the enemy had no way of knowing the quivering depths of my own rancor. The sea was taut, swollen with a rancor that neither side could hope to penetrate. But that was all I had for the time being -- no fleet, only my rancor.

"Song of the Sword" in Foreign Languages

- French: "Le Chant Du Sabre (2006, a Gallimard)"

- German: "Schwertgesang (2008, Edition Delta)"

- Spanish: "El canto de la espada (2005, Trotta)"

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/dat...00901060080.asp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angelsfaith

im starting to DL this drama but arrgg the eps was 104? mmm and my internet connection sucks..

but really thanks for the links.. very much appreciated!

Guest piano_lady

Ok I doing this as a request over at Idols-Unlimited, so I thought I could share it.

Credit should fo to cloud78 @d-addicts for providing the episodes

Download all parts and join with HJ Split for PC or Split and Concat for Mac.

Shared by fatrix over at IU :)

Thanks for the links, Puela!

I have downloaded episodes 1-61 (through torrents) and will upload them on MU as single files for ease of downloading.

Will post the links here when done!

Anyone interested of joining the watch so we can discuss the drama together??

Guest anachronista

I love saeguk but I admit that Yi San is a bit boring :vicx:

However, I LOVE Jumong! :blush:

So I'm wondering now how this drama is? :sweatingbullets:

I hope it is leaning towards the likes of Jumong :P

In any case, I have started downloading this drama in torrents...

My hubby and I have seen all 104 episodes of IYSS and would encourage you to watch all of this great drama about Korea's great hero. We found it never to be the least bit boring at any point. It's different from many other sageuk dramas in that there are more historical documents left behind to base it on than most. It's quite accurate for the most part and once you are into it you will truly stand in awe of this man. It seems like he was chosen by Heaven to save Korea at that point in history and had to endure some unbelievable ordeals just to serve that purpose. Also, Kim Myung Min IMO gives the performance of his lifetime in this drama because of it's length and the scope his acting skills have to cover. It's well worth watching in any case, but if you love KMM, you must see IYSS!!!

Guest lily_lee

QUOTE (puela @ Nov 24 2007, 12:57 AM) *

Ok I doing this as a request over at Idols-Unlimited, so I thought I could share it.

Credit should fo to cloud78 @d-addicts for providing the episodes

Thanks for the links, Puela!

I have downloaded episodes 1-61 (through torrents) and will upload them on MU as single files for ease of downloading.

Will post the links here when done!

At first i thought we have to pay at Megaupload, but now i see that it is FREE. Thank you so much cloud78, Puela and piano_lady for making these available to us.

Edit: I would suggest downloading the free HJSplit. It is simple and easy to understand.

Archived