[Drama 2012] Beloved 친애하는 당신에게

Guest Bradamante

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest reedtrip82

I really want to watch this but im afraid i will dislike the lead since the storyline seem to have infidelity in a marriage grrr too much drama. Can someone tell me if the couple really going to sleep around with their ex ...?

@reedtrip82, well so far neither one of them actually slept with their ex...yet but they are both definitely being unfaithful. I think they just need to separate already and give each other space. Thus far, the storyline seems well developed and editing, sound track everything is good. So give it a try :)

I'm surprised there isn't more evidence of intelligent interest in this drama in the English-speaking world, given that DramaFever are continuing to produce decent subs, way above average fan-sub quality, within a few days of airing, which are then leaking out just a day or so after that in softsub format to those non-US residents whom DramaFever and the rights owners want to be left out in the cold.

Just in case there are actually silent lurkers out there who do appreciate how good this production is (and why) but may be missing things the subs can't by their very nature bring out, a couple of things that struck me while watching the latest episode.

Like convulsive epilepsy and haemophilia, two other diseases known to be in some cases hereditary, insulin-dependent diabetes is felt by some Koreans to be a stigma. Someone who reveals they have it risks bringing shame not only on themselves, but on their entire family by revealing that they come of supposedly "tainted stock", thus lowering the value of all their relatives in the all-important marriage market. That's why in an early episode In Kyung reacts with such anger when her emergency hospitalization, terminating the fraught interview which she herself engineered and drew out without proper regard to monitoring her blood-sugar levels, makes her illness public, a "humiliation" she irrationally blames on Chan Joo.

More importantly for the core strands of the plot, this Thursday's episode had In Kyung revealing to Eun Hyuk why she first fell for him and why she is so determined to keep him. When, during the visit to Japan where Eun Hyuk had been assigned as her aide, she went into insulin shock (again we surmise through neglecting her self-monitoring regime thanks to the intense business negotiations she was engaged in at the time) she was overwhelmed and enchanted by the way he assured her she was no different from "normal" people and continued to treat her with respect and consideration, despite having learned her "shameful" secret. That's what sparked off the love which, she now herself admits, has turned into obsession. My guess is that viewers from cultures which don't regard diabetes as in any sense shameful may not get this rather important strand in In Kyung's motivation.

The other point will probably be familiar enough to seasoned Kdrama viewers, but for anyone who hasn't come across it elsewhere, precisely what In Kyung is threatening Chan Joo with in her office in the latest episode, accounting for the sinister music on the soundtrack, may not be so obvious as it is to the Korean audience. Adultery is a criminal offence in Korea. When In Kyung warns Chan Joo that she isn't finished with her yet, and that ruining her marriage and wrecking her chances of getting another job far from being the the worst she can do, she means that Chan Joo and Eun Hyuk's well documented hotel visit, combined with the still ongoing surveillance of the two she has commissioned, is more than enough to lay charges of adultery against both of them, bringing more public disgrace and even possible imprisonment.

Finally, while I'm here, a much less important point, but one where the subs may puzzle some people a little.

In those subs, the company President talks about Eun Hyuk behaving as though he wants to be "fired" and sardonically adds that, in that case, he'll grant him his wish. Now though the verb used is commonly employed in the same way as "to fire" someone from a job in English, that's not its meaning here. Eun Hyuk has already left the company of his own accord, so he can't be "fired". The translation here would be better as "finish [him] off". Which is what the President is proposing to do, forcing him into a corner where he will have to take the whole rap himself for the financial and political skullduggery on which he has been amassing a dossier, the deal being that if he does that, once he's served out the resulting prison term, the President will guarantee him freedom from the company's attentions and from his marriage to In Kyung. That the President has already spoken of such a deal as "finishing Eun Hyuk off" indicates that the guarantee will be worthless and Eun Hyuk would be foolish to take up his offer, though as the President's henchman has already indicated very plainly, if Eun Hyuk can't be "persuaded" by threats against himself, the President will not hesitate to go after Chan Joo in order to put pressure on him.

Since some translations of the text previews for earlier episodes offered on other sites have been rather less than accurate so far, here's my version of the one for next Wednesday. (JTBC seems to be mercifully Olympics-resistant in its scheduling)

[i'm fed up with trying to work out how to do things with this new Soompi interface, so I'm reverting to what we had to do years ago with spoilers, namely format them in pale yellow.  Whenever you look on the help pages for the new interface, the developers are always smugly explaining why THEY think that things Soompiers have been doing for ages, like marking spoilers, are a BAD IDEA, and THEY don't see why they should be kept, so tough luck on us. Maybe the info about spoilers is in there somewhere, but I got too annoyed with the developers' attitude to read it all]

President Baek has his henchmen capture Eun Hyeok again, but In Kyeong finds out where he is and personally helps him escape. He declares straight out that he will never again have anything to do with the Baek family's affairs. At her wit's end, In Kyeong reveals to him that Chan Joo's father is fatally ill, and suggests once again that she and Eun Hyeok should leave the country together.

Meanwhile, Chan Joo's terminally ill father tells Jin Se that it's his dying wish that he should keep the promise he once made to care for his daughter, but...

I can't help remarking that one of the weakest parts of the drama so far was that Jin Se, even though he does seem to watch a lot of TV, obviously hadn't seen enough Kdramas to catch on that if your father-in-law
1) Suddenly shows up unannounced in Seoul to keep an "urgent appointment" whose nature he's very cagey about
2) Refuses offers of a ride to the location of that appointment.
3) When you're seeing him off again at the bus station after that appointment is plainly on the verge of tears and bangs on endlessly about you always looking after his daughter
and
4) Is given the long-drawn-out meaningfully-mournful gaze-through-the-window-of-the reversing-bus treatment by the PD

that means he's a clear case of DCTI (Dramatically Convenient Terminal Illness) and a big deathbed scene is coming up pretty soon. So no real suprises there.

As this drama has unfolded, I've been contrasting the back story that's been presented in the course of the plot with the character profiles published in advance of the drama (you can find them, in Korean only, on the first page of this thread, or on the official JTBC site).

It's obvious that as the actual production took shape, the creative team decided to handle some rather important matters quite differently from the original scheme (I don't know how far that scheme itself came from the original Japanese novel, because I can't read Japanese). It's particularly noticeable that the end of Chan Joo's relationship with Eun Hyeok and the start of her marriage to Jin Se were originally imagined very differently from what we eventually got to see.

In the drama as screened, Eun Hyeok coolly dumps Chan Joo to seize the chance of money and power, rather than because he's "grown weary" of Chan Joo's "vitality", as the profiles have it. More strikingly still, the sketch in the profile of how in Jin Se proposed to Chan Joo "on their third date" and she replied "Well, why not?" is radically different from how the episode of the miscarriage and its aftermath founds their marriage, of which there is no trace in the profiles.

At the same time, there are things in the profiles that have been carried over to the actual production but maybe aren't coming out to quite the extent that they were originally meant to. I'm thinking in particular of the motif of Jin Se having wanted since childhood to become the father of a "perfect family of four" as soon as possible, whereas Chan Joo has no such wishes. Though not expressed quite in the same terms in the actual dialogue, that is certainly a strand of potential discord between the couple that is quite independent of their emotional entanglements with other people.

It's also noticeable that the profile of Hong Ran is quite a lot less substantial than the character she's gained in the drama, not to mention the strange attempt, fortunately sidelined in the actual production, to drag the Olympics into the plot, which would have been the last thing I'd have been willing to tolerate in a Kdrama this week or next... So those references in the actual drama to her going to London to "compete" were apparently meant to refer to the "demonstration [= not for official medals] sports" category in the Olympics. In the past this category has included angling (!), kite flying (!!) and fire extinguishing (!!!) which all seem a whole lot less Olympian-sporty than Latin-American dance, but in that case her hopes of "winning lots of cash prizes" to repay Jin Se's proffered financial subsidy might have suffered a rude setback, so it's just as well she stayed in Korea for now. (Although she's in for a disappointment anyway, since the Toyko competition she supposedly sees as a fallback option for London already took place last Autumn...)

Anyway, here are my translations of the profiles of the five major characters.

Seo Chan Joo (33)
Before her marriage, Seo Chan Joo was a woman bursting with vitality.
Spirited, determined, emotions fluctuating like a roller coaster, her charms had totally captivated a man. And precisely because she was that way, that man left her. Abruptly ejected from a tempestuous relationship, she married a younger man she was only slightly acquainted with just three months after they first met.

She now lives an easy-going, relaxed life, feeling she's found the right place for herself, calm and content. With no particular passion for anything, and no great ambitions she wants to achieve, she tries to avoid any powerful emotional engagement. She has a kind husband who doesn't try to control her, makes no demands of her, and isn't at all domineering. She's grateful, and satisfied.

But for all that, she's occasionally engulfed by feelings of emptiness, and there's a niggling unease at the back of her mind.

Go Jin Se (27)
Married for three years, working for an architects' bureau owned by his older friend Yoon Young Ha, he's a considerate and amusing husband.

Whenever his wife is depressed, he organizes a surprise for her, and finds a thousand and one ways to cheer her up. He may look to superficial observers like a lightweight younger spouse, but the real strength of their marriage comes from him. But while they've been enjoying life from day to day, their interests have gradually started to diverge. The reason... they both want rather different things. But they haven't said so openly, yet.

Because his parents' occupations meant they never stayed for long in one place while he was growing up, he had a lonely childhood. Even now that his parents have settled down on Jeju island, he doesn't get to see much of them.
From an early age, he set his sights on getting married. His dream is a perfect family of four! All the young women he proposed to thought he was some kind of idiot. So he thought he'd try for an older woman! Bracing himself to be called crazy again, he proposed on the third date. And the answer he got was: "Well... why not?"

A marriage that would bring him a family with children very soon! Just the thing! But he he was somewhat too naive to realize how real-life marriages work. This was a woman burdened by a heavy payload of memories...  Friends more than lovers, is a relationship like theirs really viable?

Choi Eun Hyeok (35)

A successful man? An evil man?  No, just a foolish man, full of regrets. Pretty cynical, and very sure of himself. Ambitious, though with abilities to match.

At one time, he had a fiery love affair with an extremely passionate woman. But he grew weary of such passion, settled for marrying 'the ideal wife', and started a new life. But despite the high social station he's reached, he can't ignore his dependence on his wife's backing.

Moreover, the moment he draws this apparently winning ticket, he begins to have regrets about the choice he's made. Looking for happiness and an escape from his rocky marriage, he says he's decided to seek a divorce. And he makes another approach to the woman who had aroused his passion once before. Though he's angry at his own bad behavior, he can't help himself.

Baek In Kyeong (30)
Eun Hyeok's wife, CEO of "Styles", a high-society fashion magazine, an elegant woman who likes to be in total control of herself and her life. Men all find her irresistible. Though she has a charming smile always on tap, she is currently faithful to her husband. It's very clear she is in many ways the exact opposite of Chan Joo.

Having lost her parents while still in high school, she grew up under the guardianship of her late father's younger brother. Her uncle became President of Moon Ho Construction Group, acquiring a considerable stockholding in his own right. From that time, thanks to her diabetic condition, right up to the present day, she has kept herself under careful management. Whenever she's in poor health, she becomes acutely sensitive, and suffers from feelings of inferiority. She identifies Eun Hyeok as a man who can take care of her and takes steps to secure him. She marries him, but because she cannot win his heart, she grows increasingly embittered.

Finally, in an attempt to regain Eun Hyeok's affections, she opts for an indirect approach. She uses her connections and wealth to acquire the fashion magazine "Styles" and as the new owner puts pressure on Chan Joo.

Hong Ran (21)
Dancesport athlete.
Irreverent, buxom and bouncy, rather risky to know. She can appear shallow and wilful, but inwardly she is quite mature. That's because she awoke earlier than most people to the fact that the world is a tough and lonely place. 16 years earlier, one of her father's teenage pupils who used to eat dinner with them every day had asked her "When you grow up, will you marry me?". "If it ever came to that I'd die without a word", she clearly remembers replying. Even though she knows very well she's made an impact on Jin Se, she's in no hurry.
She's determined to put aside all past unhappiness.
She has her sights on competing in the 2012 London Olympics (demonstration sports section). Or alternatively in the Tokyo World Championships.

Ep 12 text preview translation

====
Jin Se, not having caught sight of Eun Hyeok  at Chan Joo's  father's funeral, and curious about Eun Hyeok's whereabouts, is told by Myeong Jin that In Kyeong will make the couple's relationship hard to restore.

But then Eun Hyeok suddenly re-appears, and Jin Se, demanding to know what right he has to show his face, seems ready to put up a physical fight. At which Chan Joo calms Eun Hyeok down, then leaves along with him, with Jin Se's efforts all
in vain.
====

The original Korean isn't written as carefully JTBC's previews usually are, and the text is a bit (unintentionally) ambiguous in places. But I think what I've settled for in my translation makes the best sense of it.

EDIT: As I explained in a later post, I found the only raw available so far for ep 11 completely  unwatchable because the sound is so bad, but I did skip to the end to see the cliffhanger, and it seems that the above "preview" is actually a synopsis, more or less, of the last minute or so of ep 11, so it's not really a preview at all of ep 12 at all, but it's what's on the JTBC site.

Guest Bradamante

'친애하는 당신에게' 조하랑이 부른 OST 음원 발매

스포츠월드 원문 기사전송 2012-08-01 18:39

[스포츠월드]

20120801002400_0.jpg

JTBC 수목 미니시리즈 ‘친애하는 당신에게’ OST가 1일 디지털 음원으로 출시됐다.

이는 그간 ‘친애하는 당신에게’ 공식 홈페이지와 공식 트위터 등을 통해 끊임없이 OST 발매 문의를 해온 팬들에게 희소식이 될 것으로 기대된다.

특 히 이번 ‘친애하는 당신에게’의 총 음악 감독은 드라마 OST계의 최강자로 정평이 나있는 최철호 음악감독이 맡아 눈길을 끈다. 최철호 음악감독은 그동안 드라마 ‘추노’ ‘도망자’ ‘전우’ ‘매리는 외박중’ 등의 음악 작업을 맡아 많은 드라마 팬들에게 그 실력을 인정 받은 바 있다.

또한 그간 다수의 작품을 통해 호흡을 맞춰온 서현일 작곡가가 합세해 ‘친애하는 당신에게’만의 감각적인 영상미와 배우들의 섬세한 감정연기를 증폭시킬 수 있는 최고의 곡들을 탄생시켰다.

이번에 공개된 ‘친애하는 당신에게’의 OST에는 총 3곡이 수록되었다.

먼 저 드라마 첫 회부터 엔딩곡으로 사용되며 시청자들의 가장 큰 사랑을 받고있는 곡 ‘Because of you’는 감미로운 선율에 조하랑과 어니스트의 감성적인 보컬이 얹어져 드라마의 전체 분위기를 표현해주며, 드라마가 끝난 후까지 시청자들에게 극의 잔잔한 여운을 남기는 엔딩곡으로써의 역할을 톡톡히 하고 있다.

또 그간 드라마 ‘여인의 향기’ ‘결혼해주세요’ 등의 O.S.T를 통해 애절함이 가득 담긴 독특한 음색으로 사랑받아 온 가수 Edan이 부른 곡 ‘Always with you’와 직접 작사에까지 참여한 실력파 여가수 우진희의 ‘Alone’ 또한 매 장면 극중 주인공들이 처한 상황과 감정들을 극대화 시키며 시청자들의 극에 대한 몰입을 도와주어 드라마의 새로운 공신으로 떠오르고 있다.

1일 발매된 ‘친애하는 당신에게’의 O.S.T는 각 온라인 음원 사이트를 통해 만나볼 수 있다.

한편, JTBC 수목 미니시리즈 ‘친애하는 당신에게’는 매주 수, 목 오후 8시45분 방송된다.

최정아 기자 cccjjjaaa@sportsworldi.com

Source: nate

Google Translation

'Dear you' See Source bridegroom sang OST released

JTBC tree mini-series 'Dear you' OST was released with a one day digital music.

The meantime 'Dear you' official website and through the official Twitter fans who have to constantly contact the OST release is expected to be good news.

In particular, the 'Dear you' musical director of the Total Drama OST System powerhouse reputation as musical director to take a lot of time choecheolho eye-catching. Musical director choecheolho dramas 'chuno' runaway 'comrades' 'Mary oebakjung' drama, and music, a lot of work to take their skills to the fans has been recognized.

In addition, breathing through the work of a number meantime ProCurve hapsehae seohyeonil composer 'Dear you' own sensuous spectacle and delicate emotions of the actors that could amplify the smoke gave birth to the best songs.

The public 'Dear you' songs in the OST was a total of 3.

Ending the first inning drama is used as the first audience receiving the greatest love song 'Because of you' to the sweet melody of See Ernest Lang and emotional vocals have expressed eoneojyeo gives you the whole atmosphere of the drama, the drama ended audience until after the play its role as the gentle aftertaste leaving Dunmow is Ending.

And meantime the drama "woman's fragrance 'Marriage Please', and OST from sadness containing all of the unique voices have been loved singer Edan sung by Song 'Always with you' and direct lyrics to the far enlisted the talented singer, Woojin hee 'Alone' also every scene, the hero of the drama and emotion of the situation to maximize viewers' pole sikimyeo given to help the flow of the drama has emerged as the new Accreditation.

Released one day "Dear You 'to each of the OST will be available through online music sites.

On the other hand, JTBC tree mini-series 'Dear you' every week, Thursday 20:45 will be broadcast.

VOD Link: youtube

Edan - Always With You [Dear You OST]

Woo Jin Hee (우진희) - Alone [Dear You OST]

Ernest (어니스트), Jo Ha Rang (조하랑) - Because Of You [Dear You OST]

1-151.jpg

Album : [single] 친애하는 당신에게 OST (Dear You OST)
Song Artist : Various Artists
Release Date : 2012.08.01
Genre : OST, Drama - Dear You

Track List:

01. Because Of You - Ernest (어니스트), Jo Ha Rang (조하랑)
02. Always With You - Edan
03. Alone - Woo Jin Hee (우진희)
04. Because Of You (Inst.)
05. Always With You (Inst.)
06. Alone (Inst.)

Credit: BubbleFeetMusicCH1

Archived