[Mainland Chinese Drama 2014] Sound of the Desert 风中奇缘 (Da Mo Yao 大漠謠)

sugarplum892

The costumes...the sceneries...the feeling...everything is so beautiful...
I know it is too early...but so far, I am rooting for Hu Ge and Shi Shi...even through I know a bit of the spoiler from the novel itself... hehe... =((

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest windflower99

I read the novel and really love novels the story.. My Ship is always for Huo Quo Bing aka Wei Wuji, and i hope they will follow the novels ending version.. I want to watch this but theres no engsub yet, so i'll wait patienly.

The drama is making Li Yan a total witch with her scheming and manipulation right from the start. I guess they feel the need to dramatise things onscreen. They are even making the princess not as likeable and changing her relationship with HQB/WWJ and giving more screen time to her annoying cocky son so early in the drama too.

The thing I felt they could have done better is the soundtrack. I agree with some people who commented elsewhere that Delia's song don't feel quite right for the setting. Bu bu jing xin has way better songs which brings out the feel of the scenes each time while this one kinds of jarred me out of it.

@Miss_van
The novel was originally written in Chinese. I believe no official English translation is available. I know koalasplayground did an English translation of the novel though...I've only read bits but I believe it is fairly good. 
After watching the first few episodes, I do have to say that like how it is with any drama adaptation, the novel is always better. 

Guest Miss_van

@Mangoberries
Thank you so much! the drama seem good and i wanted to read the book as well. I'll check that out later. =)

Behind the scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38RUT5XPS0Cr to the uploader
Sorry it isn't subbed, but this has footages from future episodes. Also, around the 40-50 second mark, Eddie explains how he had to force a kiss on Liu ShiShi. The first time he did, it was not good enough, so he had to do it again. He then talks about how he wasn't sure if it was because they were both so emotionally into the acting, but ShiShi cried after the second kiss. So he felt guilty. He then asked LSS through the camera, "I kissed you and you cried, what does it mean?" Then he goes on to explain that he did brush his teeth and he chewed gum. =))

Having read the novel itself, when the cast was announced, I had my doubts about Eddie Peng but thought Hu Ge was a good pick for the Meng Jiu role... Now, even though I can't say Eddie Peng's version of Huo Qu Bing is exactly like what I had in mind, I like his mischievousness, he makes HQB much cuter than it was in the novel (HQB is always mischievous and bossy whenever he interacts with JY in the novel). After seeing his version of HQB, I don't think I can imagine any other actor taking up this role anymore, he did a great job. Both male leads are great pick! I think Tangren works well with Tonghua's novel, they should consider doing more of these novel remakes, I think they'll do better than creating a story of their own, *cough*BBJQ(BBJX2)*cough*..
I watched the TV version and the uncut version, I think TV version cuts way too much! It kind off takes out the important details and makes the flow very choppy, the uncut version is much more intricate as it won't miss out any detail and I think it's pretty close to the novel but I always couldn't resist my urge to watch the TV version as its much more advanced in progress than the uncut version, I just have to watch both version, haha. It's been some time since I enjoy an ancient c-drama THIS MUCH ever since BBJX.

Loved the last couple of episodes and already the heart wrenching moments are beginning. 

That moment when Yue er left the blood marked jade flute and ran out with Jiu Ye crumbing in his wheelchair was shot perfectly. The fact that he didn't sleep an entire night as he tried to walk was quite painful to watch. And Yue er drinking away her sorrows was so sad to watch. I know I have to wait, but I feel really sad for WWJ.

Just watched the non-cut version and it is just sooooooo much better. I can't believe they cut out all the really good scenes like the one where Jiu Ye and WWJ meet for the first time in front of Yue Er and the cute interactions between WWJ and Yue Er.

Here are some clips that are worth watching while we wait for the next few episodes. The first 3 have snippets from future episodes. 

Credit to the uploaders.

Behind the Scenes 

Credit to the uploaders.

Poor Hu Ge who hated his camel riding scenes...while Eddie and ShiShi just laughed on the sidelines. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Akudiee

Hi guys!
I also started watching this drama - it feels like I have been waiting for this for years (and I did in fact...) so I am solo happy. I guess the action is a bit slow, and the episodes definitely too short (haha) so I always want more and more... It is a pity that the episodes don't end in an exciting moment (like Empress Ki did - that was literally a TORTURE to wait for the next episode) but well..
I have a quick question for you : do anyone now what is the deal with this cut/ uncut version? (what are differences, why and which one should I follow?)

Cool! A Soompi thread for Da Mo Yao!  I love the series so far - it really does follow pretty closely to the novel.  Because the novel is written first person, the drama is doing a good job depicting scenes from others' point of view.

And all of the actors are doing a marvelous job! Eddie Peng, I think makes a wonderful HQB/WWJ!  Can't wait for the upcoming episodes when JY and HQB/WWJ falls in love!   

Archived