[drama 2004] Emperor Of The Sea/ Hae Shin 해신

InSong

Guest sweet_treats1812

ooohhh~ my close friend told me about this drama..says it was really good and that he enjoyed it..he actually recommended it to me but it's jst so long though~ dunno if i cud bring myself to continue to watch til the ending knowing there's still so many episodes to go haha...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VyLeTtE

some quotations from the drama :

"nothing is emptier than power without a goal.." - yum moon 2 jang bogo

"humility in excess is also a form of arrogance.." - yum moon 2 jang bogo (ah i personally like this one.. )

"it is painful to keep you in my heart,, but because it would be more painful to forget you.. cuz im afraid of that pain... i dont believe il be able to forget you until the day i die.. if i should be happy, it would not be from forgetting you.. but because my life loving you.. would have come to an end.." - yum moon 2 jung hwa

"if i could see you live happily, i would have forced myself to forget you.. when you are going to be so lonely, why did you push me away.." - jang bogo 2 jung hwa

"to love someone means to trust every decision he makes... you would never understand such feelings.." - jung hwa 2 madam jami (ahhhh i like the look in madam jami's face when jung hwa said this :P)

"i would give life a chance.. until i die and see you again.. i will live my life to the fullest.. so dont worry about me and rest in peace.." - yon 2 ha jin

"if im to be reborn i wish to be born as a nameless wildflower on this island.. even if no one looks at me.. and i wihter away in the wind.. i believe i would be happy with that life.. - jung hwa 2 jang bogo

"i have finally gotten the revenge ive dreamed of.. but i dont understand why i feel so heavy-hearted..." jang bogo 2 choi moo chang

"if we part now and can never see each other agian, il wait for you in death... please leave a corner of your heart for me then.." - yum moon 2 jung hwa

"ive never forgotten you for a moment from that day.. but u only have captain jang in your heart.. at 1st i thought id be content juz watching you form afar.. but ive begun to want to make you my woman.. if only juz for once.. i wanted you all to myself.. if im causing you pain by holding on to you, if im causing you unhappiness... i couldnt forgive myself... please leave and do what makes you happy..." - yum moon 2 jung hwa (awww my heart breaks for YM here...)

and now for my review of the drama... this is gonna be a long one... mianhe... if you hate longs posts then just proceed with the next one :P

on the characters...

GOONG BOK/JANG BOGO (Choi Soo Jong)

> he started as a slave... had many life threatening experiences.. like most of you i didnt like him... from the beginning he was revengeful already... his love for jung hwa is unconditional... but i learned to like his character specially when he didnt let personal feelings interfere with his decisions..

JUNG HWA (Soo Ae)

> daughter of the former governor of chunghae... madam jami took her in after her father's death.. she is a nice lady... she loves jang bogo but she knew that she will just bring him harm, so she keeps her distance... but still supporting him... it was good in a way that she didnt find out who killed those she loved dearly...

MADAM JAMI (Chae Si Ra)

>>>>>the biggest merchant in mujinju (and perhaps in whole of shilla) aish i just love her clothes, accessories, hairstyles :P kidding aside.. her character is full of greed... she will join hands with just anyone-whether it be a decent man, a pirate, a politician... if she knew it will bring her wealth and power... i didnt find any good in her character at all.. she will betray and severe ties with those people whom she have joined hands with if they will bring harm to her... (remember how she used yum moon and master yi do hyung but wanted to dispose them off since they might jeopardize her ultimate goal) i think the only person she trusts is her right hand man - neung chang... she raised jung hwa like her own daughter and yet she was so willing to offer her to the inspector general since it will gain her more power... (such an evil wretch :P)

YUM MOON/YUM JANG (Song Il Kook)

>>>>> grew up with the pirates... he probably learned to hold a sword long before he could learn to walk and talk.. awww i just love this guy's character in the drama... ever since he was a kid teaching jang bogo fencing... how he saved his life a couple of times-when bogo was trying to escape from chunghae with yon and jung hwa.. when he requested neung chang to give bogo and yon a chance to be a part of madam jami's private army... when he traveled far just to try and retrieve bogo and yon when he learned that joong dal sold them off as slaves and that they were working in a fortress... when he saved him by attacking those ordered by jung hwa's brother to kill him... twas kinda hard for me to analyze his character... y he was being sooo nice to bogo... i thought its because twas from him that he learned every corner of chunghae,, and therefore their attack was successful but in the last few episodes SPOILER he said that bogo was his first friend... that explains it..... for me he considers bogo as a friend till the very end.. he wanted to revenge by killing him... but he changes his mind everytime... he tried persuading him not to go into war with kim yang.. cuz he know that there's little chance bogo will win since his army was only 10,000 compared to kim yang's imperial army of 100,000... it broke my heart when he had to kill bogo himself... but before doing this.. he even told bogo that he will have to kill him if he pushes thru with the war with kim yang... he put out his dagger... and warned him again... how he stayed by bogo's side even if he was already dead... remembering the encounters they had... for me yum moon thought that he could save bogo's life if he could persuade him not to go into war... he killed bogo cuz kim yang promised he will not attack chunghae if bogo is killed... yum moon probably thought it would be best for him to kill bogo than to have him killed by the imperial army or by kim yang... u could see how angry he was when he found out that kim ywang was still to attack chunghae even if bogo is already dead... perhaps he regretted killing bogo and he was thinking to himself that he should have just allowed bogo to go into war with kim yang... i literally cried when... just before dying.... he tried very hard to look at jung hwa's way... to see her for the last time... he could've escaped easily but he still protected jung hwa... even if he was supposed to be "evil" he still had some principles... how he didnt want to attack sul pyong's group when they were going back to yangzhou... because he felt bad that he broke his promise to bogo (tho it wasnt really his fault).. i loved the way he protected jung hwa in every way he can... how he didnt want wealth or power.. just jung hwa's love... how he felt sad everytime jung hwa is sad.. he also didnt force jung hwa to stay with him... he was in fact... asking her to leave... also... how he was asking baek kyung (the pirate from a dfrent group who became his right hand man) to leave if he woudnt go under his command

JUNG YON (Kim Heung Soo)

>>>>> jang bogo's close friend.. this guy would do anything for him... regardless whether he's not capabe of doing it or it would lead him to death (remember how he jumped off the cliff cuz bogo said those who want to follow them would hafta jump first)... he loves ha jin, but still bogo is his priority... he is short-tempered... but still listens to bogo and choi moo chang

MASTER YI/YI DO HYUNG (Kim Gap Soo)

>>>>> he's a pirate... supposed to be evil... but he wouldnt tolerate prostitution and rapists... he cares for

yum moon like his own son... i remember how he didnt want to leave until yum moon arrives... endangering the lives of his group... how he held yum moon's hands when he was seriously injured...

MASTER JO JANG GIL (Lee Jae Yong)

>>>>> he took in bogo and yon as slave warriors (gladiators)... but he stopped engaging himself in such... he's a guy who also wants wealth and power... but wouldnt push thru with it when given some "explanation" by bogo and his men.. he's still a nice man :P

LADY CHAE RYUNG (Chae Jung Ahn)

>>>>> master sul pyong's only daughter,, she engages herself in his father's business... falls in love with bogo but didnt force him to love her in return...

YI SOON JONG (Chae Jung Ahn) and YI MAK BONG (Lee Hee Do)

>>>>> bogo/yon's friend and the latter's father... both of them served madam jami as merchants for years... but they didnt betray bogo... they were still feeding him information if they feel madami jami is up to her evil plans again..

NEUNG CHANG (Park Jung Hak)

>>>>> madam jami's right hand man... he knew madam jami's evil doings... he may not agree with all of it,,, but he stayed by madam jami's side till the end...

JOONG DAL (Kang Sung Pil)

>>>>> bogo and yon's enemy ever since childhood... he's the type of person who takes sides with those who are sure to be "winners"... leaves when he senses that another "winner" will come out...

CHANG KYUM (Jung Sung Hwan)

>>>>> jung hwa's elder brother.... he hated bogo from the beginning... he was under madam jami's care after their father died... he was doing anything he can to revive their family's name... even if it means to be used by madam jami to her advantage... but let go of him when she was done using him... became one of bogo's men

BAEK KYUNG

>>>>> he was the pirate of a dfrent group who became right hand man of yum moon... (i couldnt find his name kekekek but he did play a big role)... i love his character in the sense that he stayed by yum moon's side after pledging his loyalty... he stayed in chunghae cuz he knew yum moon was still there.... even if he knew that the 2 of them would hafta fight with thousands of men from imperial army..

KIM YANG

>>>>> i couldnt find his name as well... he's the governor of mujinju replacing chang kyum (jung hwa's brother) i thought at first he was a decent man... but given the chance my madam jami, i realised he was more evil than the others :thumbdown he was also after power (not necessarily wealth since it will come right after power :P)

and as if my post is not long enough... here's a continuation :P

on the drama :

the drama is very nice... it was a 51-episode drama but it wasnt boring for me at all... i like the turning of events... the angles of the camera.. how the characters played their role well... how they designed their costumes,,, cinematography was great as well...

i could see the similarity of the characters' role to people we meet everyday, to those in the politics...

bogo - represents those who will do anything to revenge those who have done them wrong but will realise that it is not worth it... and that they wouldnt put the law into their hands...

madam jami - represents those people hungry for power and wealth.... their greed seems to be endless... will get rid of anyone who will stand in their way to achieve their ultimate goal (hmmmm many poiliticians are like that kekekek)

yum moon - represents the people werent given proper guidance... and does everything their master tells them... but given a second chance,,, they are most likely to change for the better...

jung yon - represents the people who acts in haste... sometimes doing things even before they realise

that its wrong

master yi - represents the people who suffered,, therefore hungry for power and wealth... but they care for those people under their care... (reminds me of poilticians or people doing evil things for their family to have a good life...)

joong dal - represents the people who betrays their current master if they sense his downfall... he will go to anyone just to survive..

beuk kyung/neung chang - represents the people who advises their masters but respects whatever decision they make...

kim yang - represents the people who appear to be "nice" but have evil thought in their heads waiting to explode if given the chance (gosh this is a dangerous one)...

as for the ending...

SPOILER

i liked the ending... bogo's men fought to the end trying to defend chunghae base wch was built thru the years of hardships.... the ending represents those people who are willing to fight/die for what they believe in rather than flee and leave what theyve worked hard for in the hands of greedy ppl.. it was a well-fought battle

i didnt feel bad for the ending... tho i was really curious as to who's gonna die :unsure: ... and of course i had the answers to my questions :) if it was the usual "happy ending" it wouldnt have much impact on the viewers... the ending is kinda hanging... wch means... that those who "survived" are still gonna go and attain more power.... these kinds of people still live up to today... so beware!!!! kekekeek....

i was like finished watching5eps before i realised that shilla was korea :P

just a thought.... for those who has seen jewel in the palace... could it be that choi's clan has been present during those times when bogo was also there? kekekeek just kidding kekekek

I am currently watching Emperor of the sea

good story, great acting ...In this series I love the bad guy more than the good guy :D

Guest madonnafl

I just watched the ending a few nights ago with my fiancé. @_@ We watched the last two episodes one after the after... holy cow... >_< I am still pissed and saddened by it. I don't think I'll be able to start watching another K-drama for a while now, haha.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shinny3

All the actors were awesome and really really good!!!

It was so heart-breaking when they died, especially Song il Gook.

I cried so much when I watched this. I think he deserved to be with Soo Ae. I think Song il Gook was the best actor!!!!

YOU MUST WATCH THIS DRAMA!!!

Guest sWeEteSt.eTeRNiiTy

is there pictures of Baek Sung Hyun?? like any snapshots... haha.. im like obsessed right now and like i wanna see how he looks like in here. XD. does anyone happen to have any? =]

is there pictures of Baek Sung Hyun?? like any snapshots... haha.. im like obsessed right now and like i wanna see how he looks like in here. XD. does anyone happen to have any? =]

I think I posted a couple somewhere in the thread, but didn't have time to look for them--so here are a few.

(all credits on pic/Yahoo Korea)

00584555_2.jpg

00586801_2.jpg

pic from April 2005:

00724352_2.jpg

Guest bruhilda

I love this drama :) Good acting.... or should i say EXCELLENT acting from the cast! It was heartbreaking to see a love that was not meant to be...... I was a bit upset with the ending, although i already knew what would happen in the end, I was still hoping that Yum Moon would find it in his heart to bury his hatred towards Jang BoGo.. like what Jang Bogo was able to do..... crazy of me :)

I was also surprised to see Suh Do Young (Spring Waltz) as Soo Ae's bodyguard... i didn't know his name then but was intrigued by his mysterious but short lived role :) haha

I highly recommend everyone to watch HaeShin, this drama has a lot of heart and many would be inspired by Jang Bogo's integrity ....

Guest t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

I just buy this drama dvd today :P OMG 19 DVD inside :crazy: I'm dying soon.... :tears: Too many k-dramas 2 catch up with.... :sweatingbullets: So this drama is really 10000000% worth watching right???? :huh: I hope I don't regret later coz I already buy the dvd today :unsure:

Guest inez

I think I posted a couple somewhere in the thread, but didn't have time to look for them--so here are a few.

(all credits on pic/Yahoo Korea)

00584555_2.jpg

00586801_2.jpg

pic from April 2005:

00724352_2.jpg

This guy is awesome!..seen him in alot of dramas and i think he truly has great potentials from this great drama!.

Thanks for the synopsis and stuff!..(i need to refer!)

I just got this drama (finally with english subs! thanks to my pal Azura!) and have been wanting to watch it!.

Another reason being Song Il Kook.. :P

It's gonna be long but i love epics..(next on my list will be 'The Three chapters of Han' n 'SeongDo Song'..)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chinamp3

I finally have started watching this series. At first it is a little bit scary because it is too long. But when started watch it, it went by very quickly. Right now I am at episode 40. it is a worth while to watch this series. It deals with a social polictical issue during that time. and the circle of love between three main characters in the series. The most amazing thing about this series is the story line. Every momment in each episode, there is interesting things happen and it keeps you in an exciting mood to keep watching it. I hope that everyone will turn in and watch this series. For me this is best of the best. The character of Jang Bogo realizes that the human dignity is the most precious thing in life and he is willing to defend it with no matter causes. He believes that every human being is equal and he values talented and skilled people. What a deep thought in this series. America valued what Jang Bogo valued centuries agos, This is a great example for those who are in power.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished this drama.. a friend lend me her copy & i'm glad I watched it even though i was scared to start it at first coz i thought i was too long....but once i started it, i just can't stop until i got to the last episode. all the actors were great.......i just wished the ending wasnt like that.. :(

Guest Choi Ji Woo

I thought this drama will replace Dae Jang Geum's timeslot here in the Philippines..it's not airing yet, grrr!!!!!!

Guest winterpolaris2005

Can anyone tell me at which point of the drama does the song "You Left Me" appear (think it is the theme song..the sad ballad)? I totally love the song and am contemplating buying the drama just because of the song. I don't really like the lead actor so the only reason I would watch this is cause of the song :) Does the song appear often in the show? thanx

Archived