[drama 2005] Yeong Jae's Golden Age 영재의 전성시대

Guest sylver

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ms_Kitty

^ How was the ending?? Anyone care to provide a brief recap? :unsure:

a brief recap [might be a few more episodes back too]:

well she has to choose to go with him to italy, or stay where she is and stay with her company. she decides to go and they go to see his dad. his dad is disappointed because his plan didn't work, but none-the-less he tries to be nice.

OHH and his dad willl get married to phillips mom :D and phillip just becomes a total failure. HAHA youngjae's sister becomes a TV announcer and keeps getting promotions..

at youngjae's work.. there's a light contest thing(?) where they have to decorate streets in seoul. my-m wins but chanah sees his boss sneaking money to one of the judges. he tells the guy in charge and the boss gets arrested(?). they have a do-over and my-m wins again.. this time with no cheating.

chanah finally gives up on youngjae and even pays one last visit to her mother. he talks with youngjae a little and they're on good terms now...

at the airport, youngjae and joongsuh are about to leave when she tells him that she can't go.. or she doesn't want to. she wants to stay with her company and keep working because she knows that in italy she won't enjoy it as much as work. she tells him that when she's ready she'll meet him there. he gets kinda mad and doesn't really say bye before he leaves.

three months later, she's still working but just like when chanah left 3 years ago, she realizes that she didn't follow joongsuh because she wanted to pursue her dreams and boost her career but she's still the same.

then she notices that in her bank account someone puts in like $468. then she remembers she used that money on joongsuh when she was helping start their company. then i think she has a weird feeling or something tells her that he's back. then she runs to her new house [of course he's waiting there with like dinner and candles]...

and then it ends...

Guest snam124

^ thanks Ms Kitty for the summary! I wish the ending developed the storyline more with JS and YJ and their new life together...but oh well <_< mebbe the producers were in a hurry to end this drama?

but thanks again!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest renni72

I finally got the DVD set and am watching the whole series now....from the beginning again...it has English subs but they are not good quality subs - poor English and wrong spelling but can get the gist of the whole storyline etc...

snam124, or anyone - can you tell me why Yeong Jae has the nickname Got Sa Seum (does it mean flower deer) from Joong Suh?

Guest snam124

I finally got the DVD set and am watching the whole series now....from the beginning again...it has English subs but they are not good quality subs - poor English and wrong spelling but can get the gist of the whole storyline etc...

snam124, or anyone - can you tell me why Yeong Jae has the nickname Got Sa Seum (does it mean flower deer) from Joong Suh?

hi renni72! lucky you! you get to watch with english subs...please fill us all in on what transpires :)

someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't "Got Sa Seum" Yeong Jae's id when she hired a date to the company party? i'ts been sooo long, i really don't remember too well... :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest renni72

I finally finished watching this drama. Ending could have been better......it was kinda left hanging....I kinda felt very sad for Chanha towards the end of the drama. The part where he went to visit Yeong Jae's mom was quite endearing. He wanted to have a proper "closure" to all and he did it gracefully.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest galaxie_krf4

can anyone tell me who is Lee Yuri?a new actress?She is so pretty with a smile which is a lot like Fan Wong but lee Yuri is more pretty.I like her.kim Min Sun act so good,she is pretty too.A good film!!!

Guest renni72

Lee Yuri acted with Park Yong Ha and Eugene in "Loving You".

Yes, I agree that she bears similarity to Singapore's Fann Wong.

I am a fan of Kim Min Sun. If you like her, you must watch her in Loveholic. It shows a melodrama her.

By the way, Kim Min Sun was the evil sister in Glass Slippers. She was the one who kept the "ring" as proof of inheritance. Very good acting in that drama.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xosandy

youngjaerev.jpg

영재의 전성시대 (Young-Jae's Golden Days)

월화드라마 - Mon/Tue Drama

15 Episodes

PD: 이재갑 (Lee Jae-Gab)

WRITER: 김진숙 (Kim Jin-Sook)

[Cast: 김민선 (Kim Min-Sun) as Ju Young-Jae, 유준상 (Yoo Joon-Sang) as Eom Joong-Seo, 조동혁 (Jo Dong-Hyuk) as Park Chan-Ha, 이유리 (Lee Yoo-Ri) as Ju Eun-Jae, 최필립 (Choi Phillip) as Jung Phillip, 이지수 (Lee Ji-Soo) as Yoon-Ji, 권용철 (Kwon Yong-Cheol) as Min Jung-Hwan, 이효춘 (Lee Hyo-Choon) as Kim Soon-Jeom, 홍순창 (Hong Soon-Chang) as Ju Bong-Soo, 김성겸 (Kim Seong-Gyeom) as Joong-Seo's Father, 김미경 (Kim Mi-Kyung) as Phillip's Mother

THE SHOW: [7.5/10]

It was pretty much inevitable. The moment MBC hit 50.5% with 내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon) you knew we'd get more of the same for a good year. And indeed that's what we got, with plenty of Miniseries and even Weekend Dramas dealing with 30 something 노처녀 (old broads) and their Cinderella stories, with a little more realism thrown in the mix. But then again, while the MBC Drama starring Kim Seon-Ah and Hyun Bin did many things right by avoiding the usual tropes of Cinderella Dramas, we were still essentially dealing with a fantasy with touches of reality spicing up things.

It was still 2nd Generation Chaebol and spunky heroines playing the unlikely Candy of the story. Too many of these Dramas solved that beautiful but problematic age with a simple axiom: love conquers all... kind of. If we forget about Sam-Soon for a moment, at least one of those 'post Sam-Soon' Dramas showed sometimes work can be just as important (sometimes even more) than love. Or better, that loving yourself, especially for Korean women in their 30s, can be more important than loving the rich pretty boy of the day. And that this Drama ended up flopping badly probably shows what's wrong with today's Drama audience, conditioned by the dark and gloomy influence of the Korean Wave to believe only a Fantasy can be appealing. That Drama was 영재의 전성시대 (Young-Jae's Golden Days).

Reflecting about the positive aspects of the Sam-Soon syndrome, one can instantly see how the focus moved from the 'career woman' image (think of Lee Mi-Sook) to something a little more down to earth. Problem -- one of the problems of an excellent show actually -- with last year's superhit was that while the writing and performances brought up details of the average life on a Korean 'old broad' in ways other Cinderella Dramas never dared to, the structure, the skeleton of the Drama was still the same as other Cinderella Dramas. That it took those tropes and threw them out of the window doesn't matter, what counts is that even though we're dealing with a more realistic Cinderella, we were still far from the reality of 30 something women in Korea.

What writer Kim Do-Woo did extremely well was showing the insecurity, the vitality and charm of 30 something women in the country, but filtering things through the Cinderella formula always gave you a certain distance from real life. So while women could identify with Sam-Soon's problems, from worrying about weight to trying to find their voice in an increasingly superficial work environment, it still was a fairy tale. In short, the biggest charm of this Drama is that, despite the obvious moments of heightened reality, we're dealing with a far more realistic character, and in some ways even more charming than good old Sam-Soon.

The first difference jumping at the viewer is that Sam-Soon was yes someone you could relate to, but not exactly a 'normal' case: she went to study overseas, and had a special talent for making cakes, a sort of misunderstood genius, discriminated against because of many things including looks. But Ju Young-Jae is much closer to home: nothing special on her Academic resume, other than being a simple lighting designer hopeful, looking for a job that will put to work what she learned; another point in favour is that her family is not used as a sort of balancing act to colour her actions (like the real 'old broad' of the story, which would be Kim Sam-Soon's sister played by Lee Ah-Hyun with admirable spunk). This is a simple family with nothing sticking out in particular.

Young-Jae's sister Eun-Jae has a promising career ahead of her on TV, but it's never used to underline Young-Jae's situation: on the contrary, her story has its own arc, pretty much separated from Young-Jae's ordeals if not for a few moments. The key here is breaking down this 'Cinderella syndrome' altogether, not making it seem like every single Korean woman in her 30s wants to become a career woman. No, Young-Jae is a simple woman looking for a job, with no particular problems (she's pretty and rather smart, but nothing out of the ordinary) nor secrets of birth/skeletons in the family ready to pop up. It's that air of charming familiarity. Yes, the MBC magic.

Looking at who wrote and produced this Drama would give you an instant answer to why, after years of Trendy Dramas going 'to Andromeda' (becoming increasingly unrealistic) we can finally have a product with continuity, without much happening but something you can enjoy from beginning to end: veteran writer Kim Jin-Sook, and returning master Lee Jae-Gab. Lee has been responsible -- either as PD or Planner -- for some of the best Korean Dramas ever, from 그대 그리고 나 (You and I) to his Sageuk with Master Im Choong, like 야망 (Ambition), 홍국영 (Hong Guk-Young) or the 'Hur Joon before 허준 (Hur Joon), 동의보감 (Dongui Bogam).

His Sageuk are some of most exciting, intriguing and just plain addictive of the genre, with more political allegory than probably any other PD/writer combo, and intensity only Choi Wan-Gyu and Lee Byung-Hoon could match. But then again veteran Lee is also known for low-key Family Dramas, like the amazing 장미와 콩나물 (Roses & Beansprouts) and many more. Writer Kim Jin-Sook is another Queen of Family Dramas, although she's not as popular as Kim Soo-Hyun or Kim Jung-Soo. Her works include the classic 전원일기 (Country Diaries) and especially 한 지봉 세 가족 (Three Families), whose atmosphere reminds of the family parts in Young-Jae.

At first the project was that of talking about a man in his 30s, but I guess the Kim Sam-Soon syndrome changed plans. The story is essentially divided into three parts: Joong-Seo (Yoo Joon-Sang)'s rise to fame as a 'genius of lighting', Eun-Jae's (Lee Yoo-Ri) revenge against her boyfriend Phillip (another striking performance by 소울메이트 (Soulmate)'s Choi Phillip), and of course those 'Golden Days' for our heroine Young-Jae. The best thing about the show? Each of those three separated elements is given proper weight, and it's not just ancillary filler to get to the finale. The fight between big business My M and small startup company City Light is interesting as we see their different modus operandi and Joong-Seo's personal touch.

Eun-Jae's ways of getting back at her former man go from the really serious -- with Lee Yoo-Ri picking out her 분신사바 (Bunshinsaba) 'horror eyes' -- to the really silly -- a Japanese businessman named, of all things, Ishihara Shintaro (the '三国人/Sangokujin' guy, ultra-nationalist politician and responsible for more controversies than one could list) who happens to be a gay Yonsama fan, and good acting makes those moments ring true. But of course the key is Young-Jae's success story. Although Kim Min-Sun overacts a little at the beginning, as the episodes go by she improves by leaps and bounds, making Young-Jae an irresistible mix of 성질 (-quick- temper), tenacious work mentality and down to earth charm. And if we add Yoo Joon-Sang's usual excellent performance to the mix, their relationship never feels like a fish out of water, despite the unique situations they fall into.

Another thing this show gets right is the relationship between the characters and their family. Young-Jae's parents aren't painted with the usual class divide issues in mind, and are given an air of realism instead. Even the relationship between the two sisters is quite realistic, with preppy Young-Jae becoming serious all of a sudden when her little sister is involved. But one of PD Lee's biggest merits, after working with him before in Roses & Beansprouts), is letting Kim Sung-Gyum loose in this. He's the cutest, most entertaining 'evil rich father' in a very long time, going from child-like energy to fatherly love with the same charm. He's one of the many great little things in this criminally underrated show, but most importantly, through the expert hand of Kim Jin-Sook and PD Lee we were able to feel once again that MBC Magic felt during the Golden Age. That ability to entertain you despite nothing really out of the ordinary happening, with characters without any particularly outstanding personality trait. Just down to earth people, doing normal things, but still making them feel interesting.

Good writing, a great little soundtrack (Fractal, Sweet Sorrow, Seoul Electric Band and more), very good acting from pretty much all involved (save for pretty boy Jo Dong-Hyuk once again going the 'cool' way) and an healthy mix of serious themes with fun and silly moments. Young-Jae's Golden Days is really a throwback to the Golden Days when 70% of MBC's Dramas would be at least highly watchable, days which seem pretty much over nowadays as the Korean Wave has made everything a big run against the clock to please overseas investors, cater to big stars' management companies, and promote that 'Hallyu look' which looks so good on advertisements but ends up carrying Dramas straight to Andromeda. For once, at least for 15 hours, we're back to Earth. So enjoy it while it lasts, we might not get Dramas like this at all in the future.

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006807.html#more

• 10 months later...
Guest valenti

this is one of the underrated korean dramas. i like the story of this kdrama and also the good performance of the actors. at first, i'm just quite confused with the ending so i have to replay that part again to be able to understand what really happened. i think the ending of this drama was rushed but overall, i really like this. i just got a hard time dealing with the subtitle because of the wrong grammar and wrong spelling of words.

• 3 months later...

Archived