1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

Yes he spoke in English.

V: Did it take courage to start your own business?

«It wasn't a rash decision. Korean cinema is on the crest of a wave, the whole world is watching us and this has revolutionized the sector: we have more budgets and the narrative is more complex, but we are also under more pressure. But fashions pass, and this is scary. An actor, to survive, has to try new things. Think of Tom Cruise who has made very different films such as Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut and Mission: Impossible. Action movies are now in fashion, and I wanted to open an agency that would use my knowledge of martial arts to produce action scenes for films from every country. The problem is that even if this type of scene goes beyond the barriers of language, the obstacle of English remains constant for us Asians."

V: But he is speaking to me in English.

«Because I'm studying it like crazy! Not speaking it limits your opportunities to get roles in Hollywood but also the other relationships an artist needs. I realized this a couple of years ago, when I was a guest at the New York Asian Film Festival. When I returned home, I found myself an English teacher and sent my children to Canada to study. Now I'm a dad who lives far from his loved ones. I miss them like air, but it's worth it
the punishment."

Every time I read his words, I'm amazed at how insightful and inteligent he is! And he said this in ENGLISH!! I'm beyond shocked! This is a big leap in terms of vocabulary!

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

It’s a fact that more ppl know Bruce Lee and Tom Cruise rather than Jang Hyuk. It’s just a way to attract readers. 

I guess you are right... I just want him to be acknowledged for his own uniqueness! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

You're right, she just amended "she is" to "you are"

She uses google translate too and just edited the wrong parts bits haha.. 

6 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Every time I read his words, I'm amazed at how insightful and inteligent he is! And he said this in ENGLISH!! I'm beyond shocked! This is a big leap in terms of vocabulary!

I guess you are right... I just want him to be acknowledged for him uniqueness! 

Can’t wait to see the interview video!

• Love 1
  • Blob 1

11 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

And to think we were questioning why he was being taught degree level English. I guess his teacher recognised he had deep thoughts that he needed the right vocab to convey them

I'm looking forward to the video, should be good

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

11 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

And to think we were questioning why he was being taught degree level English. I guess his teacher recognised he had deep thoughts that he needed the right vocab to convey them

knowing him, he always takes the long way there, but when he reaches his destination- he always accomplishes what he set out to achieve! :) only differently 😁

11 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

It will be interesting to see the change between his English in the recent KJK gym vid, and this interview

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biology Lesson said:

knowing him, he always takes the long way there, but when he reaches his destination- he always accomplishes what set out to achieve! :) only differently 😁

It will be interesting to see the change between his in English in the Recent KJK gym vid, and this interview

I admire how tenacious and dogged he is

I think his friends tease him a lot and they like to joke around. In the context of an interview, his serious side will come out and he will be a competent speaker. He said some English words on the Mongolia show and his pronunciation sounded good - a little Americanised

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

knowing him, he always takes the long way there, but when he reaches his destination- he always accomplishes what set out to achieve! :) only differently 😁

It will be interesting to see the change between his in English in the Recent KJK gym vid, and this interview

Think the gym video was done around the new year on 1st Jan 2024? This interview was actually conducted before it, in Nov 2023. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

The last interview he did in English was the Dance of the dragon interview. Curious to know how he sounds like now. In complete sentences..haha. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Think the gym video was done around the new year on 1st Jan 2024? This interview was actually conducted before it, in Nov 2023. 

In that case, this is very strange, cause in the gym video his English wasn't much better than what we heard before he started learning... :mellow:

• LOL 2

4 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

In that case, this is very strange, cause in the gym video his English wasn't much better than what we heard before he started learning... :mellow:

I think he was just being casual in the gym video, and didn’t make much effort to speak proper English there? But give him a formal interview, he will then showcase his real power?? 

Or maybe we should lower our expectations, perhaps the interviewer edited a lot of what he said into proper sentences ?

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Im going to bet that the interviewer did some paraphrasing. Even in his korean interviews JH has interesting thoughts but uses kind of complicated ways to express them. So, I don’t think we can expect him to be quite so eloquent and concise in his english interview? But Im just guessing and like you Im very curious to see his progress

P.S For some reason I liked his english during Dance of the Dragon time. It sounded softer to me than I heard him in later years. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I think he was just being casual in the gym video, and didn’t make much effort to speak proper English there? But give him a formal interview, he will then showcase his real power?? 

Or maybe we should lower our expectations, perhaps the interviewer edited a lot of what he said into proper sentences ?

Considering how we know that he will practice his Korean when he's about to do TV promos, I bet he also preprepared his answers here and probably practiced them before the interview. His tenacity knows no bounds!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm glad @Prettysup and @dramafan33 said it first. Yeah I think probably the interviewer filled in the blanks based on his past interviews unless he was given the Qs beforehand and had the chance to prepare (with his tutor) and memorise his answers like he would for a drama / film. Knowing how he likes to prepare, I don't think he would have winged it on the day.

There is a lot of overlap with what he said in this and in other interviews. The only new bit of information to me was that he liked Italian cinema / Monica Bellucci

Still it is impressive that he was able to get his ideas across so well

Also, just to express my admiration for the lead in photo of him. I'm loving his face more and more as he ages :love:

• Like 2

Apparently he is in LA now for his Hollywood talks

GHVa8m_WAAAg9Ne?format=jpg&name=medium

GHVa8nDW4AAQlra?format=jpg&name=medium

4 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Nice!! I used to remember it to mean something else..hahaha

I think he has changed his mind along the way haha.. Only the Actor Janghyuk part is consistent

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1