1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

And I love this hairstyle of his too! 

And @dramafan33 @Batara Aruna , I agree! He is pulling fast speed punches and I didn't speed up the clips..

Yes I love this hairstyle, and also the speed q&a they did with him in this same interview 

too (but not in this video). It was the one where they asked him a weird question like what do you wash first when you’re bathing. And he blinked in confusion, and then said head first. Hahahaha. 

11 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Hyukie has still not declared his next project? :w00t:

Not yet unfortunately! So spoiled in the past that now seems like a long wait! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, corey said:

No big deal...Yeah, right :(. So when was the last time JH had any, huh? I mean a proper one, not a peck?

I just can't believe it. :( The guy is sex on legs, why no-one would give him a nice role with just some nice grown-up and serious romance and emotions?

Join the club... :tears:

40 minutes ago, corey said:

I've been wondering about that too, no news so far.

Considering the Corona situation- Are there any new productions being announced at all? Are new productions being filmed?

1 hour ago, corey said:

No big deal...Yeah, right :(. So when was the last time JH had any, huh? I mean a proper one, not a peck?

I just can't believe it. :( The guy is sex on legs, why no-one would give him a nice role with just some nice grown-up and serious romance and emotions?

I've been wondering about that too, no news so far.

I don’t think he would lie or conceal an aversion to kissing scenes. No need for him to do that. But “kissing or no kissing” in drama is likely not a priority for him as he has never really gravitated towards typical “romantic lead” characters (I read that even his role in SSBG was kind of groundbreaking because up until then, romantic leads had been more prince-like and he played one that was actually unlikable, rude etc. Not saying that he started a “trend” precisely but he was among the first of what would Later become a very common type or even the prototype) 

It’s likely that he was offered some rom coms (maybe) but the stories weren’t attractive to him. He has said he thinks he was born to do melo but he probably means in a “good” story or at least something that he would consider to be good. I don’t think there are that many good romantic lead characters written in k-drama. And on the other hand, consequently he has not “built” a reputation as a romantic lead. He is not “perceived” as one in the industry, period, this has nothing to do with him being sexy or attractive. He totally is attractive and creators know that, but there is a difference between being magnetic (as he is) and being a “safe bet” in a romance drama.

This same thing happens with lead actresses. Typecasting happens for a reason. In fact, I’d say JH has been smart by jumping from genre to genre, from big network to cable and played as varied characters as kdrama allows. He has avoided typecasting but he definitely has a “reputation” of playing tough, badass characters more than soft and definitely has a good reputation as an actor who excels in historical settings (despite what we may individually think about his sageuk work, the reputation is there) He also has a good reputation as an action actor. Many of us love him as a romantic lead in FTLY and there’s a good number of fans who met him in that role, it also caused some sort of mania following in Korea itself, however, to the “general audience” in Korea, Jang Hyuk is still basically “Daegil” (and honestly, it doesn’t bother me anymore. We can see the bright side too. Not many actors can claim to have played a character with such impact within their own culture) 

But anyway my point is. I still don’t see a reason to think JH is avoiding kissing scenes. 

P.S He is also over 40 and yes, unfortunately k-industry does suffer from ageism. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Many of us love him as a romantic lead in FTLY and there’s a good number of fans who met him in that role, it also caused some sort of mania following in Korea itself,

Mania? What do you mean? 

16 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

however, to the “general audience” in Korea, Jang Hyuk is still basically “Daegil” (and honestly, it doesn’t bother me anymore. We can see the bright side too. Not many actors can claim to have played a character with such impact within their own culture) 

I agree with most of what you wrote, except the JH being "Daegil" for the general audience. I think he's remained Daegil for the Media. Or more precisely, for random Entertainment  journalists, that don't know much about JH, and need to write something about. They tend to constantly mention Daegil. If I look at social media posts about JH from both fans and random people, Chuno is very rarely mentioned or posted about. From what I've seen the show that gets the most posts on social media is FTLY . 

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson Yes, but social media doesn’t represent the general audience, yet. There’s still a good amount of older people (especially in Korea) who are not represented on Naver or such sites. The older audience usually favors traditional sageuk (male audience) or dailies and weekend makjang dramas (female audience)

There’s also a good number of people who are not vocal on social media at all. There is many times a great discrepancy between what does well on TV Vs what generates buzz on social media (same here, believe me, I know, I work in a business that has been trying for years to convert that buzz into something profitable for the TV medium to minimal results) We, as netizens give more importance to social media because we practically “live” in it but it does not represent “all”. Many times we see how social buzz does not move the needle on TV ratings (where Ad revenue is still at) at all. Anyway TV, the traditional model is either dying or transforming but for major traditional networks the money is still heavily reliant on that number. 

But, I digress, my view on what Daegil represents in Korea is influenced by what Gumi has told me, from what she knows and has observed as a korean citizen, growing up in Korea. I have no way of knowing myself. Of course this doesn’t imply Daegil is a national hero or Lee Gun is completely unknown but JH is associated more with Daegil by the general audience in Korea (including those who don’t regularly watch dramas) OTOH, many people know JH more from his appearances in Family Outing because apparently those appearances created a lot of buzz at the time. So even people who never watch dramas know him for his “blunders” in those shows lol, like the failed joke he tried to tell and the whole “timing is now” thing :lol:

The word “mania” was used by Gumi too when she described the FTLY phenomenon in Korea. My understanding is that the term means something like “cult” classic. Something that was enjoyed by a niche group, but intensely. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Yes, but social media doesn’t represent the general audience, yet. There’s still a good amount of older people (especially in Korea) who are not represented on Naver or such sites. The older audience usually favors traditional sageuk (male audience) or dailies and weekend makjang dramas (female audience)

There’s also a good number of people who are not vocal on social media at all. There is many times a great discrepancy between what does well on TV Vs what generates buzz on social media (same here, believe me, I know, I work in a business that has been trying for years to convert that buzz into something profitable for the TV medium to minimal results) We, as netizens give more importance to social media because we practically “live” in it but it does not represent “all”. Many times we see how social buzz does not move the needle on TV ratings (where Ad revenue is still at) at all. Anyway TV, the traditional model is either dying or transforming but for major traditional networks the money is still heavily reliant on that number. 

I agree, about social media not being exactly representative of the general audience. but those that are not vocal, we can't really know anything about what they think. I did notice several actors in their twenties (including the guys from MC) that mentioned Chuno as a pivotal show for them, so I guess that for many Koreans in their 20-30s, Chuno was iconic as part of their childhood. I think you could see that in that recent show to which they brought the singer from Chuno.  But is JH still recognized as Dae gill considering all the shows he did since? I'm not sure. I don't think we can know that. 

6 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

But, I digress, my view on what Daegil represents in Korea is influenced by what Gumi has told me, from what she knows and has observed as a korean citizen, growing up in Korea. I have no way of knowing myself. 

The word “mania” was used by Gumi too when she described the FTLY phenomenon in Korea. My understanding is that the term means something like “cult” classic. Something that was enjoyed by a niche group, but intensely. 

I'm not sure that "mania" can be related to a "cult" following. I think mania would be bigger than that... Can Gumi elaborate on that? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Ive always loved this moment. Its so relatable! 

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Hahahaha I feel like this is the most human and normal and non-glamorous side of him I’ve seen. The rest have just been so awe-inspiring :lol:

Yes!! For other waking up clips, he would jump up (once his army song alarm sounded) , looking a little confused but would get up pretty fast enough. This on the other hand, hahahhaha, so cute!! He just didnt want to get up at all..awww.. hahaha

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Yes!! For other waking up clips, he would jump up (once his army song alarm sounded) , looking a little confused but would get up pretty fast enough. This on the other hand, hahahhaha, so cute!! He just didnt want to get up at all..awww.. hahaha

I'm watching this, and I'm thinking "how can anyone be angry with this guy, ever?" Seriously. At his most natural, at his most basic, he is so childlike :) Obviously, he is not a child. He is very much a man, a very impressive man, with principles and beliefs. But he also can be rigid and a bit oblivious. I'm sure there are times he can make people climb the walls :), but can anyone get angry with him?! I can't imagine that...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:
3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Anyone knows what he's saying? This is the guy that played young PJ in MF, right?

I had to pause and translate the words haha but they asked him who he can mimic the voice better. He chose Han Suk Kyu. 

Oh :) Thanks! Man, I need to learn Korean...

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 10:54 PM, The Reel Life said:

Yes I love this hairstyle, and also the speed q&a they did with him in this same interview 

too (but not in this video). It was the one where they asked him a weird question like what do you wash first when you’re bathing. And he blinked in confusion, and then said head first. Hahahaha. 

Yes! Here's the subs to the one you mentioned above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I must be missing his news on his new project too much that I actually dreamt that he had a new movie coming up.

And I saw the movie trailer in my dream..hahahah! I can't control my dreams so in the dream, he was this normal guy (okay, maybe not normal, how can a normal guy look so handsome?)   who walked into the lives of a single mother and a child. He looks like the bad guy, cold, aloof and unfeeling type but he actually does really nice things for the two of them without them knowing. Then I remembered scenes of him doing some stunts..is he a stunt man? Hahaha! Funny dream. :lol: But he looks soooooo handsome in the dream.. like this pic below ..  

IMG-20200411-000136-853.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I think I must be missing his news on his new project too much that I actually dreamt that he had a new movie coming up.

And I saw the movie trailer in my dream..hahahah! I can't control my dreams so in the dream, he was this normal guy (okay, maybe not normal, how can a normal guy look so handsome?)   who walked into the lives of a single mother and a child. He looks like the bad guy, cold, aloof and unfeeling type but he actually does really nice things for the two of them without them knowing. Then I remembered scenes of him doing some stunts..is he a stunt man? Hahaha! Funny dream. :lol: But he looks soooooo handsome in the dream.. like this pic below ..  

IMG-20200411-000136-853.jpg

Lucky you! I wish my subconscious was as rich as yours... but- how disappointing were you when you woke up?! :) 

27 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Yes! Here's the subs to the one you mentioned above.

isn't it interesting that he said that he is the most manly when he goes home? Meaning that he is keeping that part of him, what he views as his real manliness, away from the media and cameras... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Lucky you! I wish my subconscious was as rich as yours... but- how disappointing were you when you woke up?! :) 

Very upset to wake up because I was about to watch the whole movie!!:bawling:

5 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

isn't it interesting that he said that he is the most manly when he goes home? Meaning that he is keeping that part of him, what he views as his real manliness, away from the media and cameras

I wish this question wasn't asked during a speed Q and A but a normal interview so that he can tell us more. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

8 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Very upset to wake up because I was about to watch the whole movie!!:bawling:

That's so sad... I feel for you...:tears:

8 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I wish this question wasn't asked during a speed Q and A but a normal interview so that he can tell us more. 

I agree. That's such a loaded answer... Also, love how sincere he was with every answer, even for the silly questions :) 

• Like 2