1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Essentially you say here that you agree with me on the things I say I didn't like, only you don't care about them. That's you, and that's OK, for me- they have ruined my experience. I have said several times that JH was the best thing about the show, and he elevated it immeasurably, not only with his acting, but also with the research he did. Recently I saw someone commented about how great the writing in Chuno was because Daegil spoke differently between his youth as a rich noble young man and his present as a slave hunter. Only that person didn't know that that change in speech wasn't in the original script, but it actually was JH's suggestion and he was the one to change the script in that way. JH's performance is what makes Chuno worth seeing, nothing else...

Hmmm No, I don’t entirely agree with all your dislikes. Overall I like the drama, there were too many things to like aside from Daegil, for me (and it is ok, as you said) Its like everything. My overall experience was positive hence I rewatched the drama and will likely rewatch it in the future. That is not really the point I’m trying to make. My point is simply to encourage new fans to not dismiss the drama until they’ve watched at least first episodes. Those first episodes are enough to tell if it will be their cup of tea or not. 

I believe I mentioned the difference in speeches. I know you attribute almost everything that is good in a JH drama to him. I don’t. We will always disagree on this aspect (nothing wrong with that). To me, its teamwork, without that, nothing works. And it is not based on my ignorance of the subject or stubbornness. I have likely read and watched as many interviews as you did if not more. Ive been a fan a few years now. Even in my blog I have interviews and accounts of the PD and actors like OJH giving a lot of credit to JH, which he deserves, but I don’t dismiss the work of the rest of the cast and crew.

Chuno’s PD also directed Conspiracy in the Court, a sageuk that received good reviews and is sort of a cult classic. Chuno was a more “commercial” version of CITC. That PD is not perfect (no one is) but he did have a style and a vision that can be perceived in those dramas. And he also had the good sense to embrace and appreciate JH and what he did for Daegil and Chuno. 

In addition, I don’t think all of JH’s contributions to characters have been “the best”. I would not use Lee Gun’s laugh again if I were him, for example. I love him but I don’t think he is perfect. He needs a good director and writer to either embrace his good ideas or reign him in if necessary because he can go OTT as well. 

• Like 3

@corey Most sageuk don’t have happy endings 

About Chuno, (not sure if its him dosing off or another actor?) but this reminds me

This is the drama where he said he spent 7 days without sleep. He said this in a few variety shows and people laugh saying it can’t be true

but there’s a story by either one of his stylists or managers at the time about one time that he was rehearsing his lines with this person, and he suddenly started talking nonsense as if he was “sleep talking”. He was really exhausted doing this drama and he apparently spent one week without proper sleep but he would dose off. 

When the drama ended, he cried and couldn’t stop. I don’t remember seeing the footage but apparently the PD went and hugged him. He is not someone who cries a lot irl so who knows if he was overwhelmed with emotion or exhausted or both. This is one character he loved though. He fought to play him and gave his all in this portrayal. He says he detaches himself when he finishes a drama (and I can see that) but when he was shown a scene of Daegil during an interview he actually felt for him. 

P.S Most drama shoots are exhausting though, in the case of Chuno it was half pre-produced but at some point run out of budget so they faced some troubles, its a historical with a lot of action scenes and raw emotional scenes so I guess it adds to the exhaustion. But even FTLY ended up very exhausting. My friend (the one I always tell you about lol) went to one of those support truck events for FTLY.  They saw how JH and Jang Nara literally slept while seating waiting to shoot their scenes. Since they both had the most amount of scenes they were extremely tired by the end of the drama. Another fan saw Jang Nara in the bathroom and she looked literally sick. 

I hope TMWYS is a healing drama and that it ends on a positive note, since its so grim already. SY will probably have a happy ending or rather, she’ll find peace but not so sure about OHJ yet. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

I believe I mentioned the difference in speeches. I know you attribute almost everything that is good in a JH drama to him. I don’t. We will always disagree on this aspect (nothing wrong with that). To me, its teamwork, without that, nothing works. And it is not based on my ignorance of the subject or stubbornness. I have likely read and watched as many interviews as you did if not more. Ive been a fan a few years now. Even in my blog I have interviews and accounts of the PD and actors like OJH giving a lot of credit to JH, which he deserves, but I don’t dismiss the work of the rest of the cast and crew.

I won't argue about the rest, cause there is no point in arguing about matters of taste, but about the speech patterns of Daegil I'm not conjecturing- JH clearly said in an interview that it was him that suggested to change the speech patterns, young Daegil spoke formally and indirectly, while Daegil the slave hunter speaks informally, and he did it with the permission of the writers. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I won't argue about the rest, cause there is no point in arguing about matters of taste, but about the speech patterns of Daegil I'm not conjecturing- JH clearly said in an interview that it was him that suggested to change the speech patterns, young Daegil spoke formally and indirectly, while Daegil the slave hunter speaks informally, and he did it with the permission of the writers. 

Im not saying that this wasn’t his contribution. You said “the person failed to mention...” Im almost sure that person was me, because I mentioned it here very recently (Unless you read it somewhere else and it was a coincidence) I suppose, I didn’t specify who came up with the idea, because I don’t think it was relevant to the point I was trying to make at the time. Jang Hyuk’s ad-libing and rewriting lines is well known. 

Some words from the writer and director of Chuno about Jang Hyuk’s contribution to Daegil and the overall drama. 

https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/chuno-the-daegil-appreciation-post/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

When the drama ended, he cried and couldn’t stop. I don’t remember seeing the footage but apparently the PD went and hugged him. He is not someone who cries a lot irl so who knows if he was overwhelmed with emotion or exhausted or both. This is one character he loved though. He fought to play him and gave his all in this portrayal. He says he detaches himself when he finishes a drama (and I can see that) but when he was shown a scene of Daegil during an interview he actually felt for him. 

P.S Most drama shoots are exhausting though, in the case of Chuno it was half pre-produced but at some point run out of budget so they faced some troubles, its a historical with a lot of action scenes and raw emotional scenes so I guess it adds to the exhaustion. But even FTLY ended up very exhausting. My friend (the one I always tell you about lol) went to one of those support truck events for FTLY.  They saw how JH and Jang Nara literally slept while seating waiting to shoot their scenes. Since they both had the most amount of scenes they were extremely tired by the end of the drama. Another fan saw Jang Nara in the bathroom and she looked literally sick. 

Thanks for the insights. I truly feel for them. I think as Hyuk grows older now he probably is also able to detach himself a lot better compared to the past. We often see the glamorized final product only. But to the actors there are a lot of unglamorous BTS ongoing and that’s why someone as humble as Hyuk may possibly view himself and his profession like any hardworker doing a hard day’s work. I hope he doesn’t forget how precious he is to his family and to us, his fans, and take care of himself better! :tears:

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I hope TMWYS is a healing drama and that it ends on a positive note, since its so grim already. SY will probably have a happy ending or rather, she’ll find peace but not so sure about OHJ yet. 

Gosh. Sure hope OHJ has a good ending. They keep speaking abt healing, I’m optimistic he will. Just don’t heal at the brink of death!!! 

• Like 3

I LOVED this MF scene, not because it’s a kiss scene (more like a touch on the lips, barely a kiss heh) but because of his eye acting after the kiss. Do you guys see that shocking sadness in his eyes??? THAT was an amazing rendition of longing feeling and sadness, and his eye acting was out of this world! 

This scene makes me super frustrated. Is like Pil Joo...!! Kiss first, we'll talk later. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, corey said:

I also heard that Chinese dramas tend to end horribly - one more reason for me to stay away from C-Dramas.

I used to only watch drama with happy ending. I will actually start from the last episode. :grimace:1 C actor said that drama with sad ending tend to "capture" people's heart. Like that lingering feeling is still felt or the heartache whatever you call it. So it leaves an impact on audience.

Seriously, sometimes I also ask myself, why watch a drama that makes me cry buckets :bawling:after that feel emotionally tired. Haiz!

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I hope he doesn’t forget how precious he is to his family and to us, his fans, and take care of himself better! :tears:

Most of the actors that I like are married. They all said the same thing in interviews. Feel sorry & apologetic towards wife. But thanking her for being understanding to his career.

I often think JH wife is very blessed to have a husband who only have eyes for her. But what goes behind the scene, no one knows. It isn't easy to raise 3 children with a husband who's constantly filming & not home. Not to mention the daily mundane tasks too. I should say he's very blessed to have a wife like her too. Not many women can handle this. Love is 1 thing but reality of life is another.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey Most sageuk don’t have happy endings 

About Chuno, (not sure if its him dosing off or another actor?) but this reminds me

This is the drama where he said he spent 7 days without sleep. He said this in a few variety shows and people laugh saying it can’t be true

but there’s a story by either one of his stylists or managers at the time about one time that he was rehearsing his lines with this person, and he suddenly started talking nonsense as if he was “sleep talking”. He was really exhausted doing this drama and he apparently spent one week without proper sleep but he would dose off. 

They mention this story once in Happy Together. it's his stylist that with him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is actually an old photo but the clinic just shared it yesterday, I guess to ride on new OCN's drama airing now.

The captions say

Jang Hyuk, who is performing at Malahara as he saw OCN, visited Dustachigua.
You didn't take your eyes off the script while you were waiting at the dentist's!
Professional actor Jang Hyuk! The Derstachian will continue to support you. 

#The Starch #Jang Hyuk #Tell Me What You Saw #gentlebrity #toothbrush #toothbrush #toothbrush #tooth whitening #tooth whitening #tooth health #tooth health #tooth #tooth#implants #enterprise#entertaining

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

For anyone who is interested, here is a very good review of Chuno (contains many spoilers, but you can read the short verdict portion which is spoiler free) 

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2013/07/27/review-chuno-slave-hunter/

Actually this is the review that made me appreciate Chuno more when I did a 2nd rewatch. Even thought the drama was like 10 years ago, till now, I can't find any dramas that can match up to its cinematography and action sequences and of course not forgetting Hyuk's brilliant acting. It's no wonder many younger actors like his co stars in MC look up to him and they will mention Chuno.

The same person reviewed Money flower as well. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefangirlverdict.com/2018/02/10/review-money-flower/amp/

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Actually this is the review that made me appreciate Chuno more when I did a 2nd rewatch. Even thought the drama was like 10 years ago, till now, I can't find any dramas that can match up to its cinematography and action sequences and of course not forgetting Hyuk's brilliant acting. It's no wonder many younger actors like his co stars in MC look up to him and they will mention Chuno.

The same person reviewed Money flower as well. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefangirlverdict.com/2018/02/10/review-money-flower/amp/

I read her review of Money Flower. Loved it! It was actually after MF that I started looking for its reviews just to read how people felt about the show and that was when I stumbled upon Stuck On Hyuk, @dramafan33 :D

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

This scene makes me super frustrated. Is like Pil Joo...!! Kiss first, we'll talk later. :rolleyes:

Haha why did all of you feel frustrated with that scene! I loved it lol. But yeah I can understand where you guys are coming from. But the whole show unfortunately was only about their longing for each other. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Haha why did all of you feel frustrated with that scene! I loved it lol. But yeah I can understand where you guys are coming from. But the whole show unfortunately was only about their longing for each other. 

Yessss It killed me lol

• LOL 2

Speed reading all the posts here as there are so many active JH fans here! I have not watched Chuno either and I am hesitant as I am not keen on historical dramas. So far, I watched FTLY (that was what got me to like JH), Money Flower, and now the current drama. Of course I watched his reality shows too (Urban Cops, Dragon Bromance). 

I am so glad I took a chance to watch FTLY as I was doubtful by looking at the poster pic. However no regrets as it is one of those romance story line that I like. And I love the sad crying scenes. He cries well, really well.

Money Flower was an exceptional drama. He looked good. Clean, short hair, well dressed. I am ok that there were no proper kiss scenes. In fact, I don't think I want him to do a full blown romance drama with kisses. A melodrama is fine, one where he can showcase his emotions. Something suitable for his age, and not those where they still assume he is in his 30s and going out with girls in their 20s....

Anyway, I wish he will do more interviews, be in more variety shows. Just fun stuff and where we can hear him speak about himself.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@AquariusMY But 40 year olds still kiss you know? :D kissing is not exclusive to 20 or 30 year olds. Whenever he has been allowed to kiss in movies or dramas, he has done well. But he hasn’t done much romance throughout his career. 

And yeah this thread has become very active lately. Welcome to the party! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I’m actually afraid of what a virus might do in the US, with our “fabulous” health care system and great president who is already dismissing the situation and would rather focus on tweeting. Praying for a miracle for the whole world here. 

Come on, your healthcare system can't be as much 'fabulous' as ours. Though I must give it to all of healthcare workers who despite being part of an inefficient system have successfully contained many potential pandemics all these years. 

Your president was is our country for two days and I heard he has very poor food habits. Atleast our country has excuses like huge population and poverty for inefficiency but it's sort of shameful for the largest economy of the world. Healthcare must be fundamental right in every civilized part of the world.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, budgerie said:

1 C actor said that drama with sad ending tend to "capture" people's heart. Like that lingering feeling is still felt or the heartache whatever you call it. So it leaves an impact on audience.

It reminds me of a funny incident. Sad ending movies were extremely popular in 1970's Bollywood. One famous director planned to cast two 'superstar' actors(both of whom have/had 

humongous ego) in his new movie. Shooting started and everything went well untill one actor realised that his character won't die in the end. It pissed him off and he refused to work with the director again.:lol:

Later other actor whose character died in this movie continued dying in other movies too and as a result became much bigger star than the actor whose character didn't die. :w00t:

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

My 1st feeling is - kiss first and we'll talk later. Even if don't talk also never mind, at least have a good kiss first. Lol. But on 2nd thought, PJ is a gentleman. How can he kiss his friend wife? NMH didn't divorce yet.

1 hour ago, AquariusMY said:

I don't think I want him to do a full blown romance drama with kisses. A melodrama is fine, one where he can showcase his emotions. Something suitable for his age, and not those where they still assume he is in his 30s and going out with girls in their 20s....

You know, it's getting more & more difficult for me to watch a drama to my taste. I like ahjusshi actor (due to my age maybe). I find no kick if the actor is young in his 20s or even 30s. Must be 40 & above :phew: But these days the so called romance drama are all the young actors. Doesn't give me the umph feeling like Pil Joo does.

IDK about JH but most C married actors (at least those who are my fav), they try to avoid kiss scenes if possible. Or even if there is kiss scene, it's at an odd angle that you only see the man's back view & usually woman is shorter, you can't see anything except her head but can't see where their mouth meets.  I remember once upon a time, a taiwan actor once said, usually they don't kiss for real but just posture real. Unless of course if Director insist real kissing than they have no choice. No doubt is job requirement but not all actors are comfortable with kissing too. But I rather is just posture real (looks as though they are kissing) better than those k drama kisses where the female lead will open her eyes big big.  

33 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

It reminds me of a funny incident. Sad ending movies were extremely popular in 1970's Bollywood. One famous director planned to cast two 'superstar' actors(both of whom have/had 

humongous ego) in his new movie. Shooting started and everything went well untill one actor realised that his character won't die in the end. It pissed him off and he refused to work with the director again.:lol:

Later other actor whose character died in this movie continued dying in other movies too and as a result became much bigger star than the actor whose character didn't die. :w00t:

So to a certain extent it's true that sad endings leave more impact to the audience? Hahaha! 1 of my fav C drama in 2015, The Journey of Flower, was so huge hit when it broadcasted. It's 58 episodes about legend & immortals that type. It's so so sad that it really gets into you that type. :cry:So I guess happy endings easily "forgotten" when the drama ends but sad or tragic endings leave audience with the feeling of "unable to walk out of the drama"....

• Like 2