15 hours ago, Prettysup said:

@AgnesO @azureblue7 No wonder Crash Landing On You was so popular, it has war ( not really but he is a soldier), fighting (some), injured (a little) and fall in love (a lot) haha... I must admit I only watched the injured portions 

Oh and DOTS has similar elements too, no wonder so popular as well 

I watched DOTS and tried watching CLOY. Not bad but same thing, I kept think about "If only the lead was JH,... lol

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

If you watch C drama (with english subtitle), try Battle of Changsha. It's a 2014 production starring Wallace Huo as the "handsome" Officer. :PAs usual, Officers are all "stone" face but he slowly warm up to the girl because she's very lively & active & mischievious. War (fighting) not alot but reasonably enough. Romance (sweet & simple during war era), but more of how a family live through the crisis of war. Pretty touching plot. (Meantime we'll hope for JH to go fight war in dramaland). :lol:

Thanks, the last C drama I watched was Nirvana in fire. I like it! I watched the first few eps of A Korean Odyssey as I quite like Cha Seung Won. But I think I dropped it mid way..  Just not engaging enough for me, imo.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

This! He truly gives distinctive performances in all the shows of his that I watched. And you’re right, he intentionally strives to be versatile. And I mean VERY versatile. Some actors hover around the same roles. That’s why I don’t understand when some knets say he has the same acting. Don’t know what they are watching <_< of course not ALL mannerisms can change 100%. The person is the same person after all. 

Exactly. And if JH does a similar role, it's essentially for a do-over, when he  feels he's dissappointed with the first time, like he said about Midas, like I think he did for Robbers in FTLY and now he seems to be doing for BM, but the roles are never identical, only have similar elements...

The dramas which are non-JH that I really liked are:

1. Pinocchio (very very heartwarming) 

2. Dr Prisoner (Excellent pacing, I wished JH did this show but perhaps it would be a tad too similar to MF) 

3. Kill Me Heal Me

Tried watching Dr. prisoner but I felt that every episode was about how to show the protagonist is smarter, and it got into a pattern of almost getting caught, but being able to outsmart his way out of it. What I saw had very low emotional impact for me, so I stopped watching.

Also tried Kill me Heal me, but I was disappointed by how unprofessional the woman was (that acted like a little girl at times), and the lead's acting... the fact that he chose to do his main personality so blandly, I just couldn't connect... This was a show that I wish JH would have done instead.

I think the procedural part is where they still JH’s weekly cases (though it’s connected to the main characters) but I get impatient when the main characters are not developed as the main plot but are developed through the subplots. Like all the chasing of that guy who witnessed the gang members murder, so much time wasted showing the chasing, it wasn’t thrilling at all and I was left thinking those airtime could have been spent on developing the main characters. I also slightly wished there was more meaningful and deeper conversations between OHJ and SY and HY, mostly he has a lot of monologues but the scriptwriters are not digging as deep as they can (or maybe they just can’t). That’s why I previously shared that I don’t have that much faith in the production team. It’s like they try to be deeper than voice (which is already a feat and I give them credit) but at the same time it’s half way deep only and not tugging on the heartstrings in a genuine and natural way like how some writers are able to do. 

I won't try and convince you otherwise too much, seeing that the show managed to convince people far better than I could about the initial criticism- remember what people were complaining about in the first 5 episodes? You don't see those complaints anymore... The show changed so much during the 8 episodes that we've had, so I don't think we can speak about it having a pattern. The thing is all the cases we've had till now were either connected to the main plot or the case with the child, that was the only one not connected, that gave us a glimpse into OHJ's thinking and emotional world. I will admit, though, to fast forwarding through the chase sequences not involving OHJ and even the moments of the boy with the woman or running from her. So I'm with you on those, but I don't think the production can avoid those scenes. The casual viewer needs them to increase the tension. It's just us JH fans that don't care about those moments :)I find the way the relationships are developing surprisingly natural. We don't usually get close to people very fast, but through shared experiences, so I like how CSY and the team are with OHJ, and I like how he's not making much of an effort yet. JH said, he's playing disconnected for now. Something needs to happen to make him get out of that state and I feel that something is getting closer. We have 8 episodes (?) more, OHJ's healing and maybe CSY's will takes that long, so I'm patient. For now, I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing, and I trust JH on this to bring it home emotionally.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Thanks, the last C drama I watched was Nirvana in fire. I like it! I watched the first few eps of A Korean Odyssey as I quite like Cha Seung Won. But I think I dropped it mid way..  Just not engaging enough for me, imo.

I watched NIF too. Because I like Hu Ge. But I like him best in Legend of the Condor Hero. His chemistry with Ariel Lin very good.

:DI haven't been watching K drama recently except for TMWYS but am thinking of not watching it until it has finished broadcasting & I can watch continuously.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I forgot to comment that, I would also love to see JH play a character that suffers from PTSD!!! He would be so good! 

I've read a great book with a character involving PTSD, and I would have loved to JH do a character as complex as that. It was an ex navy captain, that is regraded as a hero, but when you meet him you realize he is bitter and angry, and he has a secret. A horrible secret that he's hiding about the battle the made him a hero. As the story goes on, you realize that his bitterness and anger kept the PTSD down, as he wasn't connected to his emotions. But the moment he falls in love, his PTSD hits him hard, so hard he thinks about killing himself. It's only his need to protect the woman that keeps him from it. It also made me think about JH because all through the book the guy doesn't cry. Even when he's on the verge of killing himself. It's only at the end, when he confesses to his secret, that he can't stop crying. I loved that small detail about him, and it made me think of JH as he said that he only cries when acting (or when no one sees, as we've seen in Dragon club :) ) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I forgot to comment that, I would also love to see JH play a character that suffers from PTSD!!! He would be so good! 

Hahah but don’t you think he’s current character suffers from PTSD already? That’s why he had to take the anxiety meds to calm him down! 

I have so much to reply u guys too but I’m at work, will reply later :D

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Hahah but don’t you think he’s current character suffers from PTSD already? That’s why he had to take the anxiety meds to calm him down! 

I have so much to reply u guys too but I’m at work, will reply later :D

I guess you could say that what he suffering here is a form of PTSD, as he saw his loved one die... I guess you are right. But I think we're specifically talking about PTSD experienced by a soldier as a result of a battle, to fit into the war drama premise. 

Have fun at work! working at home today...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Let's take a moment to admire OHJ's sexy gaze and mannerisms..haha

Great vids! I don't know how JH does that. Adopting different mannerisms to create a completely different person that feels real! He seems so... languid as OHJ, so... god, the only other word I can think of is "luxurious" like the fur on his coat and his hair- soft, slick. The way he lounges in his sit in the bull pen, or with his feet on the window sill back home, or sitting on the backward chair with his head nestled on his soft coat arms... Even the way he goes into action is that way... Did I mention JH awes me?!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

23 hours ago, Prettysup said:

@AgnesO @azureblue7 No wonder Crash Landing On You was so popular, it has war ( not really but he is a soldier), fighting (some), injured (a little) and fall in love (a lot) haha... I must admit I only watched the injured portions 

Oh and DOTS has similar elements too, no wonder so popular as well 

But I watch neither one of them, cos' its not Hyukie.  See, I don't watch just any man fight, injured or in love.  I chose my man too, haha...

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, corey said:

I think I mentioned it somewhere in this forum, but I forgot where, so forgive me if I repeat myself, but I cannot watch C-Dramas. I watched Princess Agents, The Eternal Love Season 1 and 2 as well as Love O2O and half of Legents of Fuyao before I realized that they always use dubbing for the actor's voices. So when I try to watch something with a particular actor in it, he/she has a different voice! I cannot stand it.

Yes indeed. Because in different parts of China, their mandarin accent is different. And some mainland actors/actress originally come from Hong Kong so their mandarin has strong cantonese accent. It would make the drama sound awful if everyone has a different accent so the TV station has to standardise it by having professionals to be their voices.  

I once watched a drama (surprisingly not dubbed) the actor hail from HK & he spoke with very strong cantonese accent that it sounded horrible.

I watched Princess Agents. But I prefer the lead actress role in The Journey of Flower which was such a huge hit in 2015.

1 hour ago, corey said:

I tried it once and watched two episodes. The actress is lovely, the main lead landsome, but given my short attention span I fould it not so interesting and stopped. However, it was not bad I think, for someone who likes this sort of fantasy with ghosts and deities it might be interesting.

The actress is the one acted in Shine or Go Crazy (Oh Yeon Seo). I like fantasy but without the ghosts & deities. Ok, so I shall not watch this one but stick to my C drama. :lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Yes indeed. Because in different parts of China, their mandarin accent is different. And some mainland actors/actress originally come from Hong Kong so their mandarin has strong cantonese accent. It would make the drama sound awful if everyone has a different accent so the TV station has to standardise it by having professionals to be their voices.  

Our country also has dozens of languages and thousands of dilects(belonging to atleast five different language families) but I think most of the actors here use their own voices. I've seen actors working in 5-6 different language films simultaneously and they manage the accents quiet well. Why is this not case with the Chinese actors? I think dubbing reduces overall quality of the final product. 

I can also speak in 3-4 accents myself. :lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@The Reel Life You know what’s disappointing? Voice writer is actually female. I think the comment about MFs PD was made by JH himself, he knew that this PD would make a “different” revenge story than any male PD would because she would focus on the complicated feelings rather than “thrills” or action, etc I think he was right about this one

Wow, I didn’t know the writer of Voice was female. But the characters were so so bland, it was disappointing. Even JH couldn’t turn that terrible role to a good one, save for that last scene of him crying in front of his wife’s grave which was seriously heart-rendering. Oh and was he the one who commented abt the gender in the MF direction? That’s cool! I really liked that director. 

10 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

And also the fact that he is both a great actor and so HOT. Im not saying handsome or pretty (which I find him to be) but sexy he is SO sexy.

I fully concur 100000x hahahaha. :wub: he IS sexy, thats why he keeps getting comments about it and he keeps brushing it off shyly but i really wonder if deep down inside he knows he is sexy?? :rolleyes: He sure doesn’t hide the fact that he knows he’s handsome haha.

Also, we are so privileged right? To have an actor we love who is not only versatile, but so dedicated to perfecting his craft, and on top of that a crazy talented actor, with commendable values and humility, and then he had to top it off with manliness, charm and strikingly handsome features, as if all the talent alone wasn’t enough B)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

So when he was asked apart from Soo Young which other member in SNSD does he like, he said he’s a fan of just Soo Young. Because - Once you like, you like till the end. This statement really caught my attention because it speaks volumes of his loyalty and consistency trait! 

I know perhaps i was just a casual passing statement or him being kind, but I would love to think that it reflects Hyukie’s true personality! Loyal. We debated about his loyalty to Sidus, but I think this also reflects his loyalty to friendship, relationships and most importantly, love. His wife is seriously the luckiest woman in the world! She has such a loyal, unwavering husband who only has his eyes for one. :love:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Why is this not case with the Chinese actors? I think dubbing reduces overall quality of the final product.

In order to keep the drama coherent & consistent with all the characters, the TV station hires Voice Actors. But there are also C drama not dubbed, the one I'm watching now isn't dubbed. I guess if the actors/actresses can speak fluently & without much strong accent, than their voice won't be dubbed (maybe)?? I'm not sure.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, corey said:

I have once found a youtube video explaining the reason why they do the dubbing. It is obviously the various accents, but not only. It is also the speed in which they make the dramas. Usually they have two sets - one is being used, the other one next to is is being re-built. And hammering noises etc. greatly disturb the filming in the other set. So it is cheaper and faster for them to use just voice actors to cover the noises later.

This reason seems more plausible than just the inability of many actors to carry proper accents. 

29 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I guess if the actors/actresses can speak fluently & without much strong accent, than their voice won't be dubbed (maybe)?? I'm not sure.

I think unlearning accent can be difficult for regular people but actors recieve voice training so it must be much more easier for them. Like @corey said it maybe more due to the pace at with the pace at which Chinese dramas are produced.

Or maybe learning accents for tonal languages is more difficult ?:rolleyes:

• Like 2