3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

A friend of mine says its completely unrealistic that someone who was paralyzed would ever recover to that extent but then, we are not expecting much realism in kdrama right? 

I was just watching a Hollywood movie some time ago, Jack Ryan : Shadow Recruit. The main character was also injured in a helicopter crash and broke his back, cannot walk. Then he went for physiotherapy and recovered to be super fit after some years. And he even managed to fall in love with his physiotherapist.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

So we are in broken back topic right now? Just for fun and drama realism. :grimace:

Can you still walk with a broken back?
Spinal fractures are different than a broken arm or leg. ... Depending on how severe your injury is, you may experience pain, difficulty walking, or be unable to move your arms or legs (paralysis). Many fractures heal with conservative treatment; however severe fractures may require surgery to realign the bones.

How long does it take to recover from a broken back?
Most compression fractures due to injury heal in 8 to 10 weeks with rest, wearing of a brace, and pain medicines. However, recovery can take much longer if surgery was done. Fractures due to osteoporosis often become less painful with rest and pain medicines.Sep 7, 2017

So they're not lying for drama/movie sake? :D

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4

4 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

A friend of mine says its completely unrealistic that someone who was paralyzed would ever recover to that extent but then, we are not expecting much realism in kdrama right? 

Actually, I've recently seen an episode of a local version of "american Ninja", you know the show that has this really hard obstacle course? At any rate, in the episode participated a guy that's been through a horrific accident with a truck while riding a motorcycle. Lets just say that he was dragged by the truck, so you can imagine how bad he was hurt. No one thought he would even walk again. But as I said not only did he recover, he recovered enough to participate in that show. So I guess the extent of a recovery depends on the injury and the determination of the person. So it's not that unrealistic... I would like to see, though, how OHJ was immediately after his injury, mostly to see his emotional state back then...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

@yoeda @Biology Lesson Very interesting! Thank you guys! Its not a topic that I’m too familiar with and now I can share these with my friend

I’d also like to know more about OHJs emotional state right after the explosion

His line “Am I really living? I’m only breathing like this” was so sad 

Can it be Saturday already?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@yoeda @Biology Lesson Very interesting! Thank you guys! Its not a topic that I’m too familiar with and now I can share these with my friend

I’d also like to know more about OHJs emotional state right after the explosion

His line “Am I really living? I’m only breathing like this” was so sad 

Can it be Saturday already?

I have not watch episode 6 but I’m guessing , he is not physically disabled but mentally he is.

• Like 3

One of my aunt suffered a few vertebral compression fractures in her lumber spine due to an accident. She didn't have to had the surgery and her doctor was amazed that she didn't loose her ability to walk during recovery period. While it's true that medical science is advanced enough to treat various types of spinal injuries but still most of people can't regain full functionality of the body back. One can improve his/her fitness levels afterwards but the pain doesn't vanish. 

But it's a drama and everything can happen in the dramaland.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 2

@fiesty8001 Im glad your aunt recovered. Pain never goes away right? I have a friend who was in an accident (she broke some bones on her leg, don’t know exactly which) and she is amazing, even though she is always in pain and has to limp, she never misses a yoga class (she actually inspired me to go) but there are times when her pain gets more intense. Especially when it rains or its humid, she says. 

I’ve had joint pain that definitely improved with yoga (but thats totally different cause thats not from injury) 

Ive heard athletes are always in some form of pain and JH himself has mentioned he has pain from past injuries (which only get worse with age, unfortunately) 

OHJ probably has pain, regardless of what he can do with his body. Kinda like Bruce Lee right? Wasn’t that guy all broken or something? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@fiesty8001 Im glad your aunt recovered. Pain never goes away right?

(but thats totally different cause thats not from injury) 

Ive heard athletes are always in some form of pain and JH himself has mentioned he has pain from past injuries (which only get worse with age, unfortunately) 

She has to wear back support belt while doing any strenuous activity but otherwise she is fine. Pain also gets worse when the temperature drops.

Do you have arthritis?

Like athletes the dancers are also often in pain. Once I talked to a dancer and she said she has been training since she was like 3-4 years old but still after dedicated practice of more than two decades her body still experience pain during the performance. She even said that at some point of life dancers stop caring about it and may even find their pain pleasurable. :blink:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Looks like OHJ is going to over exert himself in the next ep..jumping off the building.. 

Probably JH feels like he needs to compensate for all those episodes he spent sitting :) I'm so happy with this show. This is the first show of the shows he did since BM that I feel like rewatching...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, corey said:

@kohnlee, @dramafan33, thank you for your advice!  I will watch voice after the TMWYS, then. In a dark room by myself, of course :D.

Regarding the spine injury - oh, so OHJ was really injured in the bus explosion? Really paralyzed from waist down? (you know, my habit of fast forwading boring parts , i.e. parts with no JH). So ok, he recovered. In a Drama land it is possible to dance ballet after being blind and barely walking for two years, or something. I just noticed the fighting secne because the movements were really smooth and flowing - not a desperate struggle, but clearly choreographed motions. Looked incredibly cool of course, but you need intense workout for that - an ordinary person, even if fit would not be able to do it.

But I am also interested in his mental state. We still have a lot of episodes to see that, I hope.

Yes he really got injured after the incident. There was a scene which team leader Hwang was reading his old medical report dated 2015 saying he suffered multiple fractures, back injury, eye injury, and that he needed cornea transplant and active physiotherapy to recover. So actually his injuries were shown to be not un-treatable. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey I’m one who didn’t like Voice. Sure, its thrilling, the majority of cases are good, but the leads are very boring. Jang Hyuk’s role is one of his worse, the character was dumb and annoying (some ppl say JH playing a disabled guy is a waste of his talent, to me, playing a brute, with no lines other than cursing, was a total waste of his talent) In that sense, TMWYS is much better. But of course, it’s best that you judge for yourself. 

P.D Despite my intense dislike of Voice I appreciate his action sequence in ep 8. The rest of the time they had him run around kicking things for no reason. But that one sequence, was cool. 

What I like about Voice, besides the cool fighting in ep 8 & 9, is his emotional scenes, both with his son and memories of his wife.  The rest I can skip.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Another actress who is amazed by his eyes..

I must say I really like Soo Young herself! She is very charming, seems to get along well with everyone, very polite and respectful and has great potential! I think she’s played her role here very well, definitely grown a lot as an actress and I’m glad she’s enjoying working with JH!

• Like 8

Finished with Ep 6, and wow.. I have no words for this man in action.  He's the best!  Am I supposed to feel deceived by OHJ's disability?  But no, I'm awestruck.  OHJ has been enduring and patiently waiting for 5 years, and the moment he unleashed.... he's scary.  

I'm satisfied with how the show has developed.  A lot of mystery lurking, and stories waiting to unfold.  AND we're going to see OHJ himself involved in the investigation, not confined in a wheelchair and giving instructions in a dark room, but out there!! I want to see more of him and SY working together side by side solving cases.  I can see how the 2 of them complement each other.  OHJ's coldness vs SY's warmth.  And OHJ's intelligence and calculated move vs SY's simplicity.  I think this is where the healing (and maybe a littleeee romance, haha) starts.  SY may just be the one who bring out the humane side of him.  I hope so... 

Looking forward to weekends :D

• Like 8