@nyk I know what you mean! TBH I felt that yearning super strongly in Chuno, him and Lee Da Hae had a chemistry that I loved and went beyond kissing. It was just the longing stares. And I never felt she loved Song Taeha for real hehe. But anyway of course Chuno was utterly painful in the romantic sense, so watching Robbers was at least consolation for me. 

The chemistry with Jang Nara is off the charts imo, I LOVE FTLY and they had sweet moments, sad moments, funny moments, angsty moments, some UST hot moments, the kiss at the press conference was AMAZING but given that it was a romance and their chemistry is strong they could’ve given us MORE 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Im super curious about what he thinks about that. It would be nice if they asked him in an interview. 

I would love something like Mr Sunshine, no kisses but you can feel the love strongly just by the way they look at each other. SoGC had cute kisses but I wish the drama and directing had been better. It got very cringy/silly at times. FTLY was awesome, but it left me wanting MORE lol 

Why no kisses? :tears: Don't say that! Plenty of kisses! He's such a good kisser... :D

But I agree with you guys. A mature love story would be amazing. No silly girly female love interest. But someone mature. I actually would have loved it if JH'd do a love story with Lee Mi Sook. That could be interesting, and I think she would like that :) 

21 minutes ago, nyk said:

I want something like 'Robbers'. After Robbers he never played a romantic love story like that anymore.

I don't count 'FTLY' since it is comedy and it gives different feels. I miss his his yearning eyes longing for love "I can't live without you" feels!  There are butterflies and weeping moments. I love it.

I agree with you (though it's kinda difficult to think about FTLY as strictly a comedy considering the amount of tears I shed...)-  Robbers was one of the only shows JH did in which the love story was the focus, and it was all about the relationship... I'd love something like that again... And JH being in his 40s shouldn't make it irrelevant for him. There are actually many people at JH's age that I know that are either single or divorced and are looking for love. 

• Like 5

And guys, I know its not the majority but aren’t there some ahjussi romance kdrama out there? I haven’t watched any but I think I’ve seem people talking about them on twitter. I mean doesn’t Hyun Bin, So Ji Sub etc get to romance and kiss? I know they are a bit younger than JH but still...right? 

btw I feel Tell me what you saw is getting some buzz, at least on twitter, Looks like OCN dramas are indeed popular these days. Now, I start to feel some anxiety. I really want this one to do well. Or rather I really reallyyyy don’t want to see another Voice case. I know many liked it but I hated how much disrespect he got from some ppl. I tend to ignore haters but its hard when they gang up and it becomes overwhelming. I get on protective mom mode (I know Jang Hyuk is much more mature about this than I am) 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

And guys, I know its not the majority but aren’t there some ahjussi romance kdrama out there? I haven’t watched any but I think I’ve seem people talking about them on twitter. I mean doesn’t Hyun Bin, So Ji Sub etc get to romance and kiss? I know they are a bit younger than JH but still...right? 

btw I feel Tell me what you saw is getting some buzz, at least on twitter, Looks like OCN dramas are indeed popular these days. Now, I start to feel some anxiety. I really want this one to do well. Or rather I really reallyyyy don’t want to see another Voice case. I know many liked it but I hated how much disrespect he got from some ppl. I tend to ignore haters but its hard when they gang up and it becomes overwhelming. I get on protective mom mode (I know Jang Hyuk is much more mature about this than I am) 

There are ahjussi romance out there. The latest Chocolate is an example. The Miracle We Met, Shall We Kiss First all fall in that category if romance Melo. That’s why I’m perplexed at why he isn’t being offered such roles....? I would have really loved for him to do those honestly. But we can’t control it, so I don’t know how but just to hope his next project is a romance melo or sexy melo or romantic comedy. 

Btw Hyun Bin and SJS are still single, so imo it’s a bit different because the production can play with the fantasies that their female fans have for them and make the show super hot and sexy. While being married doesn’t stop the actors and actresses from having kissing scenes, I do notice that the theme and general feel of the shows would not focuses on something that would purposely play up fangirling and shipping, whereas they would if the actors were single. Just an observation but I could be wrong!

Me too, plot driven cases or procedural shows are not my fave but I so want JH to do well in this show and for this show to get the recognition and be popular. Truly hope the character development of OHJ is good here, and that he will be a focus of the show instead of just the cases. I hope he actually saw/realized that MJH has poor characterisation? (I just finished watching Voice last night btw, took me 2 months to finish it haha).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I really liked Midas's plot. I think it was very sophisticated and surprising. A rather unique story. I was actually surprised by the fact that the boss lady betrayed him, and not that many shows manage to surprise me these days...  But since I'm a JH fan, Midas is not a favorite show of mine as I didn't like JH's acting in it.

His acting was stiff here right? Kinda hard to put into words how I felt but he was trying to portray a man without emotion. Or hiding his emotion?

Also, you guys said that in Midas the script came out really close to filming, so much so that sometimes they had to use cue cards to know their lines. So I don't blame JH for that. 

Actually it's tough for the artistes. In DB, KJK mentioned that when he acted, the script came out half hour before filming. Can you imagine how tough it is to memorise lines in half hour? 

Now as to the chemistry- I completely agree, the show was completely lacking in any sexual chemistry. From any direction. But that I blame the odd tendency in Kdramas that sometimes avoid anything sexual like the plague.

Although I want to think it's K culture that if the genre isn't romance, no romance. But you watch, there are also other drama which isn't romance genre but they have nude/sex scenes. But k movie nude/sex scenes are "terrible" or should I say more "put off" than "put on". So it isn't k drama culture.  

Like those that you've mentioned, in JH drama, yes, Se Ra and Li Gun, JC and SJ, KDH and JY, LYO and LMJ, or even Boo Choon and NMH, all don't have the chemistry when it came to romance. And they are acting as lovers or husband/wife.

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

at least there was more chemistry between them than with the actual female lead, with whom he actually had a “technically” decent kiss but there was just no chemistry).

And Jang Hyuk needs to do something romantic sexy soon! He is killing me! 

Yes, that kiss in the motel was so "technical" no chemistry at all. And after that (their reconciliation), there was still no chemistry. Before that they were engaged to be married, also no chemistry.

I think JH also takes his cue from the woman. To what extent is she comfortable with lovey dovey. She was probably already dating her (current) husband at that time so....most women will tone down on intimacy on screen.

Me too want him to do a romantic genre but not a role like FTLY. I want a mature love story, not like the crazy Li Gun. I don't like him in noisy roles. Anyway, I read that JNR is considering a rom-com in which the female lead is a middle aged woman, doesn't want to get married but wants to have a baby and there are 3 male leads in the story. Sounds like 1 mom 3 dads? It's due to air in next summer. Wonder who the 3 men will be?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, budgerie said:

Me too want him to do a romantic genre but not a role like FTLY. I want a mature love story, not like the crazy Li Gun. I don't like him in noisy roles. Anyway, I read that JNR is considering a rom-com in which the female lead is a middle aged woman, doesn't want to get married but wants to have a baby and there are 3 male leads in the story. Sounds like 1 mom 3 dads? It's due to air in next summer. Wonder who the 3 men will be?

Even if I really hope for a reunion between those two because I loveeee their onscreen chemistry, I don’t want him to be in that show if that’s the plot. I don’t want him to have to compete with 2 other men!! And also it won’t seem like he’s the lead, the female character will probably be carrying the show. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

As much as I would like him to as well, I think that as the years go by the chances get less haha. I think it’s more likely for him to do romantic-chaste or sexy-chaste, primarily because I have a feeling he will choose to be very selective about it. Perhaps his wife wouldn’t mind it, but I think there is a degree where the age of his children will make him think twice about doing such characters (as much as he himself is a consummate professional) for the sake of his kids and how they would handle how their father is being spoken of by others in front of them... just my 2 cents! 

As I said in my earlier earlier post, that when he was interviewed in 2011 or 2013 I can't remember, chinese article, he said that when it came to work, "work is work" and it supersede personal. Work and personal are separate. And he will not avoid roles that might require him to strip.

But that was a good 6 or more years ago. People change their thoughts as they mature in age. At that time his boys were only pre schoolers at most. Now they're pre teens. He wouldn't want his boys to see his buttock on screen with another woman. Or his boys friends or mothers might be talking about it in school. You know how people are like, the way they talk about sex is like as though it is a dirty taboo, given the k culture and tradition. So I think he will think and consider very carefully before choosing any romantic or sexy scenes drama that is more than a peck on the cheeks.

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Yes there are. I HAVE A LOVER is one of them. Ahjusshi Ji Jin Hee is one of the actor. But to what extent the kiss I think depends on individual actor.

FTLY press conference kiss was the kiss for Li Gun and Mi Young. It sent all the fanatic fans crazy and started shipping them both to get together in real life.

But if you compare it to other drama, it is still chaste enough. The wall kiss between Ha Seok Jin and So Min in "1% Chance of Anything" k drama is what sent netizens to talk about. 

So I still think it is up to the artistes to what level they're comfortable with. And no doubt JH said his wife does not mind, but am sure he's still mindful of his marital status when doing kisses. You know how reporters like to ask "how was your kiss scene with who and who"....am sure he doesn't want it to come out in the news about his juicy kiss. His wife doesn't watch his drama but am sure she reads newspaper.

Talking about fangirling, I recalled an interview in 2013, a c drama, where netizens were desperately shipping the onscreen couple. There was a rape scene. And the reporters asked the actress how was the rape scene felt to her? This actress must be fangirling herself and she started describing the rape scene as if it is something romantic (like what the guy did) and the actor was embarrassed and he cut in saying IT'S JUST WORK.

So I think JH is also aware of the fact that he sent women drooling (actress included). Have to be careful not to create news for these reporters to write on something juicy.

6 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I get on protective mom mode (I know Jang Hyuk is much more mature about this than I am) 

Hahaha! I'm sure we all are when it comes to JH. We're all his protective moms. I think is safe enough to discuss his new drama in the drama thread because he's the lead. We discussed MC here because he wasn't the lead in the papers. Lol. But he's the lead in the drama.:lol:

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

Btw Hyun Bin and SJS are still single, so imo it’s a bit different because the production can play with the fantasies that their female fans have for them and make the show super hot and sexy.

Agree. If the actor/actress is single, it brings more credit to the drama because of these shipping and fangirling and the popularity rises.

As for the married ahjusshi pairing up with single actress, there will still be crazy fangirling and crazy shipping despite the actor is already married.

But I think most of us or only me, is not comfortable with ahjusshi romancing a 20s. I'm fine with mature romance drama for JH but I'm not fine with JH romancing a girl in her 20s. 

I know in real life there are couples who are 10 or more years difference in age with each other. No issue about that. But in drama lala land, I (it is only me) find it like a Uncle and Niece romance or Father Daughter romance.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Even if I really hope for a reunion between those two because I loveeee their onscreen chemistry, I don’t want him to be in that show if that’s the plot. I don’t want him to have to compete with 2 other men!! And also it won’t seem like he’s the lead, the female character will probably be carrying the show.

Yes, the female character is the lead of the show. It's her story as in she needs to choose between the 3 men (to put it bluntly) whose sperm is suitable for her to have a baby since she has given up hope on love and marriage :joy:. But dramaland is always like this, the story might be guy A sperm is suitable but she eventually fell for guy B that type but guy B is unreliable so guy C is most reliable. Haiz, I don't like this sort of plot either so let's hope JH is not 1 of the men.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I felt the same about Midas, enjoyed the plot very much (watched it twice, because my mom also liked it), enjoyed the crazy family dynamics, enjoyed the boss lady (to me she was the protagonist, even writing wise, everything revolved around her, it was more her journey than KDH) and I was also confused, underwhelmed by JHs performance, this was the only time I couldn’t “read” the character, I could see what he was thinking but rarely what he was feeling (given the crazy live shooting situation of that particular drama I suppose JH himself didn’t know what his character was feeling at times? Maybe writer focused more on boss lady) 

Annnd Midas came after his or in this case Sidus rejected SeGa. lol. It's kind a consolation prize after the ugly battle with SBS. I think Sidus really at fault here. Say what you want about Kim Eun Seok but her drama is always a Hallyu level. But, everything happen always with a positive note. He got many drama recognition in his sleeves even without SeGa. Even HB being a hallyu star after SeGa most of his drama after that struggling in reviews and ratings.

Talking about SeGa in depth I can't help to picturing him in the role sometimes coz the character is written with him in mind in the first place. :D

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

Talking about SeGa in depth I can't help to picturing him in the role sometimes coz the character is written with him in mind in the first place. :D

I remembered reading about it but I can't recall what's the details now. Haiz...

But just for conversation sake, sometimes I feel JH is too loyal. Yes, Sidus didn't give up on him in his trial days but he has also done enough for Sidus. He was their milking cow and probably still is.

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Blame it on Bang-won...look at him...:wub:

This Bang Won is too celibate, so unlike the real Bang Won. At least have a woman act his wife. It's nice to see husband wife team up against the Queen. This BW is a gentleman. If he is harsh with the Queen, people will say he is harsh to woman. Need a Mrs Bang Won to support him in this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

Annnd Midas came after his or in this case Sidus rejected SeGa. lol. It's kind a consolation prize after the ugly battle with SBS. I think Sidus really at fault here. Say what you want about Kim Eun Seok but her drama is always a Hallyu level. But, everything happen always with a positive note. He got many drama recognition in his sleeves even without SeGa. Even HB being a hallyu star after SeGa most of his drama after that struggling in reviews and ratings.

Haha sometimes I feel it’s such a waste, why did Sidus have to get into a petty argument and blow this chance that JH had, but you know how I rationalize the “what if”? :lol:

I think that that if he took on the role, he would indeed be a bigger Hallyu Star than he then was, and he would be limited to roles that he would want to try out as an actor, because having a certain insane popularity status - there will be very high pressure to keep it up and only take very selected kind of roles that will maintain your image or boost the status. 

Also, I don’t know if it would then bode very well with how he is currently keeping his family out of the limelight and doing more mature and diverse roles. Probably fans will be going crazy over him - imagine the hype from SeGa and shipping of HB and HJW is still present till today. But of course it’s also because both are still single. And I truly believe that being single as an actor in Korea does make things abit different especially in dramaland. Dramaland plays up the hype of who are single a lot,  whereas movies are more appreciative of senior and married actors due to the nature of the roles that don’t rely on younger fan girls. The only person that is married and still having somewhat Hallyu status is Lee Byung Hun, right? And well there’s Soong Joong Ki... that’s a whole different story that we don’t need to go. But I guess my point is being married does change the dynamics of how he is marketed and also the type of roles he may receive, I think. But at the end of the day, I’d rather him being happily married with wonderful kids and have a solid acting career (which he definitely has), than just being a top earning popularity actor. 

So yea, I’d like to think that there is a reason for everything that happened/did not happen and it all turns out for the betterment of him in the end. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

41 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Haha sometimes I feel it’s such a waste, why did Sidus have to get into a petty argument and blow this chance that JH had, but you know how I rationalize the “what if”? :lol:

I think that that if he took on the role, he would indeed be a bigger Hallyu Star than he then was, and he would be limited to roles that he would want to try out as an actor, because having a certain insane popularity status - there will be very high pressure to keep it up and only take very selected kind of roles that will maintain your image or boost the status. 

Well said! It's true that in everything, there's always a time and place. If it is not meant to be, it isn't meant to be. For JH, he's not concerned whether he's a hallyu star or not. To me, he already is a hallyu star and this is subjective to each individual. JH wouldn't want to be in roles that he looks handsome and upkeep all the time. Infact his roles are very diverse. He can be like Pil Joo one minute, and Ji Cheol another minute. Look at the way PJ wears a suit and look at the way JC wears a suit. Both carried the suits differently. And that's the marvel of JH. I wouldn't want him to be an idol actor all the time, a prince charming in every role like how some actors only take on idol prince charming roles with sleeping beauty or snow white or cinderella or raphunzel. But of course these fangirling fans will love it alot.

48 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Also, I don’t know if it would then bode very well with how he is currently keeping his family out of the limelight and  I’d rather him being happily married with wonderful kids and have a solid acting career (which he definitely has), than just being a top earning popularity actor. 

I don't think this would be an issue whether he is a star as he is now or a hallyu star, given his personality, he will still keep his family out of the limelight. He had been in the industry long enough. What had he not seen. What had he not experienced. The fact that he kept them under wrapping paper since 2008 showed his determination in this aspect but he also said before, that if his children are old enough and they want to be exposed to the public, he will leave the decision to them. But until then, he will still keep them under wraps. But he will never reveal his wife. 

For these so-called single actors/actress, some may already be married secretly somewhere in another country but keeping their marital status as single so that they can still enjoy the fangirling publicity as well as not to let the tabloid and crazy fans dig out their spouse incase if the spouse is not from the industry. Or their Agency might not want their marital status to be revealed because they might lose fans and support if they reveal it.

People can be very harsh and critical when an actor gets married. The 1st thing that comes to mind IS SHE PRETTY. As though PRETTY is the only criteria that makes a marriage work. There are many marriages that worked well and lasted long even though the bride is not considered a barbie doll. :lol:

Indeed, life is not just about earning $ and $. At the end of the day, I want him to have a happy family. Grow old with his wife. Didn't he say he wants to bring his wife to Alaska or where? I can't remember. I hope he does fulfill that. Just the 2 of them. Enjoy the time together before it's too late to be fulfilled. In 1 of his interview after MF, he said that he's afraid of losing his wife. "Life will be too hard without her". In chinese subtitle : "我害怕没有妻子的日子". This shows to me how much he's in love with his wife even though he said in DB that he doesn't speak out loud ILY because the children are around. B)Very typical asian men mentality. :joy:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, budgerie said:

I remembered reading about it but I can't recall what's the details now. Haiz...

But just for conversation sake, sometimes I feel JH is too loyal. Yes, Sidus didn't give up on him in his trial days but he has also done enough for Sidus. He was their milking cow and probably still is.

I guess we can't really judge JH's feeling or his decisions when it comes to Sidus. We don't really know just how bad things were in the beginning. Remember even his acting coach thought he had no chance of succeeding. And it is JH's life after all... If his career went no where, than I would agree- he should have left them. But since JH's career is doing well, I guess they found a formula that works for them. And if JH wasn't loyal, he wouldn't be JH...

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I guess we can't really judge JH's feeling or his decisions when it comes to Sidus. We don't really know just how bad things were in the beginning. Remember even his acting coach thought he had no chance of succeeding. And it is JH's life after all... If his career went no where, than I would agree- he should have left them. But since JH's career is doing well, I guess they found a formula that works for them. And if JH wasn't loyal, he wouldn't be JH...

Yup. It's true. Even his acting coach felt he had no chance of success but Sidus didn't abandon him and he shall not abandon Sidus as well (now). Look from it at another angle, thankfully Sidus didn't abandon him or we will probably not get to know this super actor.

• Like 3

Sidus officially will release Hyuk’s calendar! 

Sales date: from Dec 4, On Wed, at 11:00 AM. 

Sales site: 

WITHDRAMA.CO.KR
WITHDRAMA.NET
WITHDRAMA.JP
WITHDRAMA.CN 

Shipping date: from Dec 18, 2019, shipped sequentially

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2