3 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

He didn't say he is the one to put the kids to the sleep though besides his kids are old enough to sleep on their own.

The person who translated that portion is Jane on IG, she is korean and her english is pretty good. I suppose he said that. His kids are hyper. Putting them to bed probably means yelling and running after them to “go to bed already”. I know my parents struggle a lot with us kids for the same reason. And then struggled to wake us up in the morning :p Even, during college years lololll (a parents job is never done) 

P.S My dad once gave me and my younger brother a sleeping pill saying it was for allergies. He just couldn’t handle us anymore lololl 

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, yoeda said:

Recently Dr. John. It's Ji Sung. I think it's done good in rating but when I check for a weekend drama it's average 9%. just watch it a bit and piece but I kinda resume it's like BM. My thought is ppl like doctor drama but with heavy makjang and love story. Doctors has a high rating but heavy with romance and ppl complaining that drama do less doctoring. lol. Dr. John and BM more to heavy thinking and genius doctor kinda not SK cup of tea. :huh:

Actually, I find it's more than just doctor genre.  When talking to a Korean friend she was always amaze at the actors I like even though we're the same age and I'm always surprise at certain views on things or when she recommends a drama to me.  She seem to like light drama and happy endings more.  Also, even something simple as liking face more before military because skin is better.  I feel a lot of them became better actors or more manly looking after military though along with other international fans.  She would only watch certain dramas for actor and only if it has high ratings.  I just read summary and give 1-2 eps try and if I like it I'll continue.  I'm sure not all are like that, but interesting to see.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, yoeda said:

Lakorn isn't it? Never watch it but revenge love is not healthy. *shiver. I choose soda and ice tea or Luerd Hong. lol. but, I'm weird like that. Like everyone is Rosalinda obsess but I true and true Yo Soy Betty La Fea obsess. :lol: Talking about YSBLF is there any K remake? That drama globally popular that had many country remaking it. Even it was an ugly duckling turn to swan drama but it certainly have a clever storyline. Sometimes Mi Young from FTLY remind me of Betty in term of strength and determination. And Armando, I love him to boot even with his flaw. He's not a typical jerky chaebol with golden heart like K-Drama. but, he always been a playboy, a flirt but know to appreciate his employee openly. I hope if JH want to try a rom com again, he choose a complex but still funny character like Armando.

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!! JH as Armando would be amazinggggggg! And he would give him his own spin! (Like Jaime Camil did in the mexican version, he was great too!) Now I can’t unsee it. Betty la fea is probably the best telenovela of all time. Unfortunately the writer passed away a few months ago. He was brilliant! 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

My theory is he is not a strict father at all (of course, pure speculation) but based on this

His boys were known for being hyper-active. As many of you know, CTH once said he thought his kids were hyper until he met Hyuk’s kids! Also, I read about one time, fans saw him at a theme park with the two boys, the boys refused to come out of the park, as soon as they reached the exit they would run back inside and JH spent quite some time chasing after them. Kids with a strict father would not dare to do that, would they? It sounds like his two boys were a handful and made him run a lot :D 

He used to sing lullabies to his boys so he most likely does it to his daughter and he memorized the Pororo song

Well, they are JH's sons. The same JH that used to do pull ups from the OTHER SIDE of the balcony. The same JH that said that whenever he was told not to touch something, he immediately would touch it. Of course they will be terrors! It's in their genes! :) His lack of ability to handle them probably stems from him not spending enough time with them, something that many dads have in common with JH. I remember he said that he once babysat them when he tried to give his wife some time off, and he ended up hiding from them :lol:. But they found him...

My guess is that he probably finds much more in common with them now that they are older, and he can do some grown up activities with them. I remember  Soo-ro said JH is a good soccer player... 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

So, is this becoming a thing? Imitating JH? I noticed that the girl from MC is doing various variety shows with, I guess, her friends from her KPOP group? And here her friend is doing a bad imitation of JH, while she is cracking up... I'm not gonna even try to understand what's with the outfits... 

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

So, is this becoming a thing? Imitating JH? I noticed that the girl from MC is doing various variety shows with, I guess, her friends from her KPOP group? And here her friend is doing a bad imitation of JH, while she is cracking up... I'm not gonna even try to understand what's with the outfits... 

Haha at least they imitate his latest drama.  Maybe even more people will look it up as some mention since not everyone realize he was in it.  I'll just take it as he's gaining more popularity.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

HAHa this is just pure bad imitation. I dunno why they like to imitate JH too, but whatever... as long as JH is not affected or annoyed by it which I don’t think he is... and like you I don’t even try to understand and just prefer to not care...

I wish they brought him to a variety show again but this year he’s been quiet in variety shows... save for urban cops. 

Its really fun reading all these stories about how JH handles and interacts with his children! If I were the teacher or parent I’ll look forward to him bringing his daughter just so I can have a glimpse of him hehe. But it’s so unpredictable his schedule, I doubt he does it often. 

Reading the interview made me in awe of his thoughtfulness in everything he does. And his approach to life. 

1. He doesn’t shy away from hardships anymore like he used to in the past, and in fact finds joy in overcoming them. 

2. He understands the changes that happens through the life cycle of a child and cherishes every moment that he gets with them. 

3. His utter discipline when it comes to work and exercise. There is no cop-out and he gives his 100%. 

4. He genuinely enjoys his work and the people he works with. Even if there are barriers (which he alluded to not everything is happiness all day), he accepts them as that is what makes his life more meaningful and interesting. 

Gosh, all these interviews give us more and more insights into this wonderful person. He is truly mature and grounded in ALL sense. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!! JH as Armando would be amazinggggggg! And he would give him his own spin! (Like Jaime Camil did in the mexican version, he was great too!) Now I can’t unsee it. Betty la fea is probably the best telenovela of all time. Unfortunately the writer passed away a few months ago. He was brilliant! 

Really. :( I read the actress that played Catalina also passed away years ago.

• Sad 2

I find this interview with so many interesting insights into JH's thoughts, I'm going to add a few more translations here (with my own paraphrasing of what he was trying to say because even Naver Papago's translation can be poor at times:
https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=052&aid=0001371595

Note that a few translations are off, but I think: 
1. rooftop means throne
2. cushion means Bang Seok
3. stranger/room means Bang Won

-The ending scene with a dense emotion. When I finally sat on the rooftop, I must have had mixed feelings.
I ran towards the end. When I was first suggested for "My Country," the director said, "I don't go to Lee Bang-won's story." In response, I would rather be an emotional stranger than a previously known stranger running toward ambition and power. I wish Lee Bang-won, who looks pathetic when he sits on the rooftop at the end. I'll do it if I can draw it.' The director kept his promise at the end. I wanted to show another performance as I walked toward the rooftop. He threw the crown of noodles like the head of an enemy chief and said, "I'm not overpowered by you (the roof). We're just sitting there.' After you sit down, you're taken to the rooftop. I wanted to express that irony at the same time.
~ I think what it means is that the director told him that this isn't a story that focuses on Lee Bang Won, and for JH his only request was that he craft out a different kind of Bang Won than the previously known historical character. If he can do that then he will do the role. 

-How did you build an emotional room?
a certain posture; a processing of gaze; a sense of distance between a person and a person. The script is direct, but there is a lot of space between the lines. I tried to act, thinking of the complex and connotation behind the lines that seemed clear. For example, when father Lee Seong-gye recites an excuse to put his younger brother's cushion on the rooftop, it's like a change in the way he looked at the cushion cute before. At that time, the ambassador said, "Are you satisfied now?" But in his mind, he has to act, thinking of the sadness that his father is now weak, and the resentment he has caused.
~ LOL at this. So BW used to think of Bang Seok as cute and now after the brother became crown prince he changed his way of looking at him. :D The exact word "귀엽" was used in the interview haha. 

-How was it when you acted with your juniors? I think it's different from other members.
I don't think of them as a junior. I think he's just a colleague. Every actor is a professional when we meet at the scene. In that situation, I'm very nervous and nervous about how he interpreted it. We didn't promise each other how to type even the lines we know. My juniors have been studying a lot, which is embarrassing and vice versa. I don't think only 5-5 is an ensemble. It can be 6-4, 7-3, to make 10. The opposite could be true. I think it causes conflict and tension.
~I really think this is a poor translation but my take on it is that he doesn't just view them as juniors whom he is more experienced than. He views them as equals and colleagues. And everyone plays a part in making then ensemble work. Not sure what he's trying to say about the numbers but perhaps its like, you don't have to be of the same generation  to make it an ensemble, you can have those in the older decades/age pairing up with the younger etc to make it a 10. Essentially every difference/diversity in cast members still add up to making the show a 10. If anyone can translate this better than I do then please feel free!

-You get used to the viewer's eyes as much as you do ten days There is also one concern about changing the image.
I act like I change my image every time. I throw as much as I know then, and as much as I can at the time. No work has ever been in vain.
~ Best thing to know! That he doesn't think any of his works had been in vain. And how he constantly ensures that he changes his image each time and not do the same thing twice. We shouldn't worry too much about Tell Me and OHJ haha.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

So the fan as BW prop WAS JH's idea! That's sheer genius! Does anyone doubt anymore just how big JH's influence is on a role? We saw him changing the script, changing the characterization of his character, adding lines and scenes, and adding iconic quirks to his characters! I am more and more in awe of him the more I hear... 

I guess none of us have ever doubted just how big JH influence is on a role. We only discussed this is only possible if the Director is open to it. If the Director isn't open to it, he can't force his way through either. Even if it is filmed his way, it'll still be cut according to Director way. But as I said earlier, with JH name in the industry, most Directors will be open to his ideas/suggestions.

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I read about one time, fans saw him at a theme park with the two boys, the boys refused to come out of the park, as soon as they reached the exit they would run back inside and JH spent quite some time chasing after them. Kids with a strict father would not dare to do that, would they? It sounds like his two boys were a handful and made him run a lot :D

And him being a celebrity is unlike us, he has to quietly chase after his boys so as not to gain attention. For us, we can still shout at the top of our voices "YOU STOP RUNNING NOW OR I'M GOING TO PUNISH YOU LATER" (hahaha) and nobody will care. His kids got his genes, very active and being only 1 year apart, monkey see monkey do. 1 kid do and the other will follow as well. :joy:Which explains why he's always very apologetic and appreciative of his wife for she's taking care of their kids while he's out filming most of the time. Filming to him is a break from his handful children too!

12 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

I agree his sons probably can sleep on their own once they settle in their beds, but the youngest daughter definitely needs to be put to sleep. However given his work routine when he is filming a drama, I highly doubt he can tuck his daughter in every night. I would imagine he only does it when he is home.

I am sure the other moms and the teachers enjoy having glimpses of JH. However whenever I see a local artiste (which is rare), I find that I pretend to act nonchalant instead of approaching the person. Maybe it is me behaving as an introvert. Anyway I thought I read somewhere that he is also popular with neighbours during their recycling day, right? 

In the boys earlier days, he is incharge of their shower too. Now they're big enough to shower on their own so only left little princess for him to shower. I'm just imagining him trying to stop her from playing with shampoo & shower gel. You know how girls at 5 years old (actual age 4 years old), they love playing with shampoo & shower gel & water!

I'm like you. I get to see local artiste quite frequently and I just pretend I don't know they are artistes. But I can see some people taking their hp and snapping photos. To a certain extent, I'm quite annoyed with these public. Artistes are also human. They also have their own time/own life (as what JH said he wants to have his own time). It's like they're artistes so they can't walk at a shopping centre or they can't go to a food stall or just walking at the park?

But if the celebrity is JH, I'll definitely approach and say "I'm watching your drama now" hahaha! I bet the ahjummas and the teachers in his girl's kindergarten look forward to catching a glimpse of this handsome papa. I would look forward to bringing my kid to kindergarten if I know JH is going to be there....lol. :joy:

In FIC, he mentioned that it was so nice to be strolling leisurely because he can't do that in korea now. Feel sorry for him. Bet he can't even go to the supermarket with his wife without the ahjummas taking photos and he wants to keep his wife out of the limelight. Bet he can't even go to the cinema with her without people turning to look at him. Or can't even hold her hands to stroll in the park without people snapping photos. It's a lot of sacrifice on his personal life being a celebrity. But he said he goes exercising with his wife (in 1 of his interview which I read before in chinese) so where is this exercise place that no ones knows about??? Hahaha...no leaked photos.  

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

The person who translated that portion is Jane on IG, she is korean and her english is pretty good. I suppose he said that. His kids are hyper. Putting them to bed probably means yelling and running after them to “go to bed already”. I know my parents struggle a lot with us kids for the same reason. And then struggled to wake us up in the morning :p Even, during college years lololll (a parents job is never done) 

P.S My dad once gave me and my younger brother a sleeping pill saying it was for allergies. He just couldn’t handle us anymore lololl 

I like your dad! That's a very good idea although not encouraged. Heeheehee!

I don't think he is the sort to yell at his kids. Probably wife is the discipline mistress at home since she is the main caregiver so he is the "good guy" while mummy is the "bad guy". He'll probably shoo shoo the boys quickly go to bed before mummy gets angry. And probably spend a good deal of time waking them up for school too. (IKR, I used to "threat" my son that if you don't wake up now, you'll go to school in pyjamas). :D

11 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

My guess is that he probably finds much more in common with them now that they are older, and he can do some grown up activities with them. I remember  Soo-ro said JH is a good soccer player... 

It probably would be easier now as in they're older, they can communicate and they can talk to him about their likes and dislikes instead of running around chasing them in the theme park. Now he and boys can do "boys" activities so their bond can be even closer than before. 

It was difficult in the earlier years because the boys are only 1 year apart. Definitely a handful! No wonder his wife is too tired to watch his drama. By the time the boys go to bed, she probably would be half dead herself. Now the only "handful" one is little girl since both brothers are much older than her, they can even help to keep an eye on her when mummy needs to use the washroom. Bet the brothers dote on her too.

5 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

HAHa this is just pure bad imitation. I dunno why they like to imitate JH too, but whatever... as long as JH is not affected or annoyed by it which I don’t think he is... and like you I don’t even try to understand and just prefer to not care...

I said this in my earlier post and I say it again. I don't find it amusing when people imitates the way he speaks. For me, it's disrespect and disregard. Hate it when people imitate the way Daegil speaks and now Bang Won speaks. It's not even funny at all and irritates me.

1. He doesn’t shy away from hardships anymore like he used to in the past, and in fact finds joy in overcoming them. 

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. Can you elaborate? I don't recall him shying away from hardships or did I misinterpret?

The director kept his promise at the end.

What I had said in my earlier post, ultimately, Director has the final call. JH can suggest, can voice out, can argue, can point out, everything he can do, but Director has the final call. And I'm glad this Director kept his promise to JH. Which Director was it who didn't follow JH and didn't cut the show according to what JH proposed? I can't recall who but I read it somewhere.

-You get used to the viewer's eyes as much as you do ten days There is also one concern about changing the image.

Please give us a nice image for your new drama and not mushroom cut image. :joy:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

With all the talk about him putting the kids to bed or not (I guess with the boys it's just telling them to "go to bed!" while tucking the little one in...), no one discussed this " In the morning taking the youngest to kindergarten." :) I wonder about how the other moms feel about meeting JH every morning there... 

In DB he said he drive the younger one to kindergarten. Probably is one of those more reputable kindergarten that the teacher will wait at the door that type so parents need not get off the car. Probably is a kindergarten for celebrity parents. Who knows. It would be so inconvenient for him if he has parents drooling over him infront of his daughter. 

He already has ahjummas drooling over him during recycle days.

• LOL 1

13 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Actually, I find it's more than just doctor genre.  When talking to a Korean friend she was always amaze at the actors I like even though we're the same age and I'm always surprise at certain views on things or when she recommends a drama to me.  She seem to like light drama and happy endings more.  Also, even something simple as liking face more before military because skin is better.  I feel a lot of them became better actors or more manly looking after military though along with other international fans.  She would only watch certain dramas for actor and only if it has high ratings.  I just read summary and give 1-2 eps try and if I like it I'll continue.  I'm sure not all are like that, but interesting to see.

I guess younger generation in korea likes those flower boys type of artistes. Boys that probably hasn't gone in to military. And these young girls will go hoo gar gar over them. :D

13 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I hardly watch english shows now so I'm not familiar but there are many types of genre I like JH to portray. As I said in posts earlier, I like him in heavy but not noisy roles. I like him to play an emperor, another great story in the history of korea. I like him to play a top pugilist who can also fly (similar to The Journey of Flower), I like him to play a dark character (similar to Sealed with a Kiss C drama). I like him to play another LYO. Not as a doctor this time but another character.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I guess younger generation in korea likes those flower boys type of artistes. Boys that probably hasn't gone in to military. And these young girls will go hoo gar gar over them. :D

Actually, late 30s near 40 I don't consider that young anymore.  I guess that's why I'm shock all the list was flower boys.  Although, I don't hold being a flower boy against them either.

Thanks for recommending MF.  I don't know if I would change the order of my list though.  I enjoyed it and it wasn't sad ending at all.  I was thinking of another sad ending because of rooftop scene which didn't happen :).  I can see why it's not for everyone though.  JH is good at the whole suppressing feeling, but I think it can be heavy for all 24 episodes for some.  He never really got break or big temptation from that possible happiness bc of setup and no time in whole revenge ordeal that some needs as break in melodrama.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Thanks for recommending MF.  I don't know if I would change the order of my list though.  I enjoyed it and it wasn't sad ending at all.  I was thinking of another sad ending because of rooftop scene which didn't happen :).  I can see why it's not for everyone though.  JH is good at the whole suppressing feeling, but I think it can be heavy for all 24 episodes for some.  He never really got break or big temptation from that possible happiness bc of setup and no time in whole revenge ordeal that some needs as break in melodrama.

Oh wow! You finished MF! Wasn't it only 2 days ago we spoke about MF? Hahaha! As I've said before, the ending is up to individual to conclude if it's sad or not sad.

Indeed, MF is not a drama for everyone. It's too heavy. I just happen to be one who likes him in heavy character. Have you watched bad papa? I enjoyed it but not everyone likes the genre. But it's super sad ending and gets me truly upset with the writer. :joy: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. Can you elaborate? I don't recall him shying away from hardships or did I misinterpret?

I didn’t paste the translation here but it was the same interview. He said that now even if there are walls he doesn’t feel bothered and he enjoys the process of solving a problem. But the him last time would have wished that there were no walls. Something of that sort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If anyone recalls, Voice PD was changed from Kim Do Hyuk to Kim Hong Sun, due to some conflicts in the schedule,  that was announced on Dec 13, and the premiere was postponed by  a week from Jan 7 to Jan 14.

Maybe it's a habit of OCN to change their PDs? Haha.. but at least this time they announced the change more than 2 months before the premiere.

http://stoo.asiae.co.kr/article.php?aid=33626997991

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

If anyone recalls, Voice PD was changed from Kim Do Hyuk to Kim Hong Sun, due to some conflicts in the schedule,  that was announced on Dec 13, and the premiere was postponed by  a week from Jan 7 to Jan 14.

Maybe it's a habit of OCN to change their PDs? Haha.. but at least this time they announced the change more than 2 months before the premiere.

yes at least the change was made since the beginning. I remember he had to re-shoot 5-6 scenes of Voice for the change of PD?? which is very tiring and waste of time imo. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Omg! I thought it was airing in Feb. Mid Jan?  So happy! 

• Awesome 1