Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Selected some interesting bits from this interview:

 

 

Jang Hyuk “Unprecedented emotional Lee Bang-won, great pleasure to create”


The name of actor Jang Hyuk, 44, has been engraved in the historical drama's beloved character "Lee Bang-won Club”, joining other actors who had previously given impressive performances of this person. Jang Hyuk has once again created a new character in the viewers' minds that appear whenever Lee Bang-won's name is mentioned.

 

Q : Which was the hardest scene in this work?
A : Every single scene. In every scene, we have to constantly calculate and agonize whether should I turn this way or that way? Should I show my front or my back? Should I hold a sword or my fan with me? 

 

Q : Lee Bang-won holding a fan is something new. Is this in the original script?
A : I just brought one from somewhere (laughing). Kim Gyu-ri painted a picture on the fan, she has been painting folktales since "Beauty". I said, "It will be nice if there is something that reminds you of Lee Bang-won's feelings, can you draw a picture for me?” So she did a lyrical portrayal of a full moon and bamboo swaying in the wind. I liked the picture, so I decided to use it as a prop.

 

Q : Can you say the scene burning the fan at the end was almost ad lib? 
A Yes, when I burn the fan, my mind will be thinking “Everyone dies”.

 

Q : Will you play Lee Bang-won again in another film?
A : I don't know yet. After ‘The Age of Innocence’ was over, I wanted to do it again, but now I don't know. I'm not saying that I'm done with Lee Bang-won already, but I'm wondering if I can show viewers something else. Not right now, but I think the story of Lee Bang-won after becoming king will be another interesting one.

 

Q : We only have a month left this year, what's your year-end plan?
A : I will be doing next year's work (OCN drama ‘Tell Me What You Saw’)(laughing) We'll be shooting from early December.

 

Q : Don't you need time to recharge, such as travel or rest?
A I'm going to recharge at the scene. Haha. It's different, we're going to a different scene. I enjoy my work. Happiness is not the only pleasure. Sometimes there are annoying, angry, and stuffy parts, but I feel like my day is thicker when I'm on the scene. Sometimes, when I meet a wall (problem) at the scene, I feel frustrated, but I enjoy the process of solving it.

 

Q When did you start to enjoy being at the scene ?
A : Of course it wasn't from the beginning. There were times when I wished there were no walls, and there was a feeling of pain when I bumped into them. I've been boxing for a long time, and if I want to hit, I have to get hit first. After a painful time, even the match becomes fun at some point. I think acting is just as hard and fun as I get through it.

 

Q: You will be playing the role of genius profiler Oh Hyun-jae in the next project. I wonder what kind of character it will be?
A : Director Kim Hong-sun, who directed "Voice 1," gave me an offer. Looking at the script, the process of solving the case looks good and the character was fun. This is a character that is on the opposite side of Lee Bang-won. In comparison to animals, if Lee Bang-won feels like a tiger, Oh Hyun-jae is like a hawk. He identifies his target, hovers round and round, and catches the person when he gets the chance.

 

Q: These days, more celebrities are communicating with the public outside of their acting, such as through YouTube and SNS.

A : I'm on SNS too, but I'm not active. I think I should have my own time. I have a job to do, but I think I should have my own time.

 

Q  : What do you usually do in your own time?

A : Work in the office (laughs). After work I go practice, go home, watch the kids, drink a can of beer, watch a movie, bring the youngest in the morning. My eldest son is playing soccer, and if there is a match, I will go watch him. That's the routine.

 

Q : It's like a typical father's routine.

A : It is not exemplary, haha. My father went abroad for a long time when I was a child because of his construction work. I only get to meet him for a month within a year, and even when he was in Korea, he will be busy going to local sites. That was the case with most fathers at that time. Because I felt my father's absence, time spent with my family is precious. When the child grows older, his friends will come first before his parent. It is not long before my kids reach that, so now everyday is happiness.

 

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=052&aid=0001371595

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • azureblue7

    3636

  • Prettysup

    3579

  • Biology Lesson

    2426

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to show my friends on here one of my Christmas presents  Hope you all had a blessed Christmas.  

Finally got to watch Hyuk's movie on the big screen! Guess it was not surprising that I saw more men than women watching the movie. Probably the genre appeals more to male audience. Anyway, I was supe

Hi, everyone!  I'm Darla. I am new here and have browsed a bit but haven't posted before. I didn't discover Jang Hyuk until recently and have been making my way through his dramas after first seeing h

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Which was the hardest scene in this work?
A : Every single scene. In every scene, we have to constantly calculate and agonize whether should I turn this way or that way? Should I show my front or my back? Should I hold a sword or my fan with me

He really thinks a lot and deeply. No wonder Park Joon mentioned during DB that JH even pondered how he should tie his shoelaces in a scene, what feelings should he be showing as he did that and so on. I guess that's why when he was on DB, he didn't really bother too much about where the camera was. CTY and KJK kept teasing how his back was always facing the camera. For him, the focus was his good friends, not filming a show.

 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Don't you need time to recharge, such as travel or rest?
A I'm going to recharge at the scene. Haha. It's different, we're going to a different scene. I enjoy my work. Happiness is not the only pleasure. Sometimes there are annoying, angry, and stuffy parts, but I feel like my day is thicker when I'm on the scene. Sometimes, when I meet a wall (problem) at the scene, I feel frustrated, but I enjoy the process of solving it.

 

Q When did you start to enjoy being at the scene ?
A : Of course it wasn't from the beginning. There were times when I wished there were no walls, and there was a feeling of pain when I bumped into them. I've been boxing for a long time, and if I want to hit, I have to get hit first. After a painful time, even the match becomes fun at some point. I think acting is just as hard and fun as I get through it.

 

Very thought provoking and I'm glad he loves his job and we'll get to see him more!

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Q : Which was the hardest scene in this work?
A : Every single scene. In every scene, we have to constantly calculate and agonize whether should I turn this way or that way? Should I show my front or my back? Should I hold a sword or my fan with me? 

What we audience see is the end result. But there is so much details into it. Probably have to practice turn this way turn that way many times. Lots of repeat actions under the hot sun.

 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Q : Lee Bang-won holding a fan is something new. Is this in the original script?
A : I just brought one from somewhere (laughing). Kim Gyu-ri painted a picture on the fan, she has been painting folktales since "Beauty". I said, "It will be nice if there is something that reminds you of Lee Bang-won's feelings, can you draw a picture for me?” So she did a lyrical portrayal of a full moon and bamboo swaying in the wind. I liked the picture, so I decided to use it as a prop.

:lol:

 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Q : Will you play Lee Bang-won again in another film?
A : I don't know yet. After ‘The Age of Innocence’ was over, I wanted to do it again, but now I don't know. I'm not saying that I'm done with Lee Bang-won already, but I'm wondering if I can show viewers something else. Not right now, but I think the story of Lee Bang-won after becoming king will be another interesting one.

Maybe not now (a bit too soon) but yes, do a drama on Bang Won already is a king. That'll be interesting. And I'm waiting too. So happy that he's got good reviews for his role as BW and not be stucked as Daegil all the time.

 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Q: You will be playing the role of genius profiler Oh Hyun-jae in the next project. I wonder what kind of character it will be?
A : Director Kim Hong-sun, who directed "Voice 1," gave me an offer. Looking at the script, the process of solving the case looks good and the character was fun. This is a character that is on the opposite side of Lee Bang-won. In comparison to animals, if Lee Bang-won feels like a tiger, Oh Hyun-jae is like a hawk. He identifies his target, hovers round and round, and catches the person when he gets the chance.

"Hovers round and round" hopefully is not running around & around throughout the drama.

 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Q  : What do you usually do in your own time?

A : Work in the office (laughs). After work I go practice, go home, watch the kids, drink a can of beer, watch a movie, bring the youngest in the morning. My eldest son is playing soccer, and if there is a match, I will go watch him. That's the routine.

Aww...., what a wonderful father he is! Going home and taking care of the kids (translation from instagram), watch a movie and drink a can of beer after putting the kids to bed.

 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Q : It's like a typical father's routine.

A : It is not exemplary, haha. My father went abroad for a long time when I was a child because of his construction work. I only get to meet him for a month within a year, and even when he was in Korea, he will be busy going to local sites. That was the case with most fathers at that time. Because I felt my father's absence, time spent with my family is precious. When the child grows older, his friends will come first before his parent. It is not long before my kids reach that, so now everyday is happiness.

He says he is not exemplary father but I think he is very exemplary. Given his long & irregular working hours, he tries very hard to make sure his family is "intact" and that is very exemplary. "Time spent with my family is precious" "so now everyday is happiness" ....as a fan, I'm so happy to hear this and so happy for him. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, budgerie said:

 

Aww...., what a wonderful father he is! Going home and taking care of the kids (translation from instagram), watch a movie and drink a can of beer after putting the kids to bed.

 

He says he is not exemplary father but I think he is very exemplary. Given his long & irregular working hours, he tries very hard to make sure his family is "intact" and that is very exemplary. "Time spent with my family is precious" "so now everyday is happiness" ....as a fan, I'm so happy to hear this and so happy for him. 

 

Haha but I don’t think he is the one who puts the kids to bed. Maybe he just meant after the kids go to bed. 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Haha but I don’t think he is the one who puts the kids to bed. Maybe he just meant after the kids go to bed. 

I don't think the boys needed to be put to bed. They're 12 and 11 years old already in korean age. I guess only little Ms princess needs papa Hyuk to put her to bed. Usually girls are very close to papa. It is said that daughters are 爸爸前世的情人。(Daughters are their father's lover in previous life). Haha, I'm trying to imagine JH singing lullaby to little princess. :joy:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

 

Haha but I don’t think he is the one who puts the kids to bed. Maybe he just meant after the kids go to bed. 

He didn't say he is the one to put the kids to the sleep though besides his kids are old enough to sleep on their own.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, budgerie said:

I agree with you. Like for example, Thai romance story, is always the guy is taking revenge by marrying the girl and treats her very rough. They have the habit of forced kiss and pulling girls roughtly. But he'll fall for her later on. The genre is always like this. 

 

I also dislike drama where the girl acts a damsel in distress waiting for the hero to come to her rescue. She has no character, she has no mind of her own, she is a goody goody girl. Dead bored with this type of drama. Hahaha! We're hoping JH can do many more genre instead of detective genre. I'm still waiting for him to be an emperor or be a flying top pugilist.

 

 

 

 

 

Lakorn isn't it? Never watch it but revenge love is not healthy. *shiver. I choose soda and ice tea or Luerd Hong. lol. but, I'm weird like that. Like everyone is Rosalinda obsess but I true and true Yo Soy Betty La Fea obsess. :lol: Talking about YSBLF is there any K remake? That drama globally popular that had many country remaking it. Even it was an ugly duckling turn to swan drama but it certainly have a clever storyline. Sometimes Mi Young from FTLY remind me of Betty in term of strength and determination. And Armando, I love him to boot even with his flaw. He's not a typical jerky chaebol with golden heart like K-Drama. but, he always been a playboy, a flirt but know to appreciate his employee openly. I hope if JH want to try a rom com again, he choose a complex but still funny character like Armando.

 

Anyone watch Crash Landing On You teaser star Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin. It's kinda gender reversal of SOBG with female landing on male with parachute. :joy:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I don't think the boys needed to be put to bed. They're 12 and 11 years old already in korean age. I guess only little Ms princess needs papa Hyuk to put her to bed. Usually girls are very close to papa. It is said that daughters are 爸爸前世的情人。(Daughters are their father's lover in previous life). Haha, I'm trying to imagine JH singing lullaby to little princess. :joy:

 

Nah I have 2 girls, my husband just knows how to play with them and make them high. I am the one who have to calm them down to make them sleep haha.. but of coz maybe papa Hyuk really can sing lullaby lol 

  • LOL 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

I think he might be a strict father.:grimace:

I don't think he is a strict father. Doesn't look like it. He said he wanted to treat his children like friends, not the typical fierce father.

 

13 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

He didn't say he is the one to put the kids to the sleep though besides his kids are old enough to sleep on their own.

In the instagram translation, he said "after putting the kids to bed" I guess maybe he meant like what @Prettysupsaid, after the kids go to bed. But I still think perhaps #3 needed him to tug her in. She's only 5 in korean age.

 

11 minutes ago, yoeda said:

Lakorn isn't it? Never watch it but revenge love is not healthy.

I did watch 1 lakorn drama. Although I don't know what lakorn means. It's torturing to watch as in the man will grab her roughly, forced kiss, even rape. But eventually fell in love with her.

 

11 minutes ago, yoeda said:

Anyone watch Crash Landing On You teaser star Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin. It's kinda gender reversal of SOBG with female landing on male with parachute. :joy:

I only saw the preview. It hasn't broadcasted right?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Nah I have 2 girls, my husband just knows how to play with them and make them high. I am the one who have to calm them down to make them sleep haha.. but of coz maybe papa Hyuk really can sing lullaby lol 

And when they are high, they get nightmare! :joy:I asked my husband if he still gets butterflies when I'm with him, he just looked at me like I'm from another planet. So, I say and I say again, Mrs Jung, you're 1 lucky woman. Your husband still gets butterflies and he said it on TV. :lol:

  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Nah I have 2 girls, my husband just knows how to play with them and make them high. I am the one who have to calm them down to make them sleep haha.. but of coz maybe papa Hyuk really can sing lullaby lol 

Haha! I think he will be the one to play with his girl too.. singing pororo songs and bringing her to pororo land. Someone spotted him carrying her at Everland too ..think 2 or 3 years back. So sweet.

 

Didn't he mention that he sang lullabies to his sons when they were little ? But they didn't fall asleep..haha.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, budgerie said:

 

 

I hope he will do another character like LYO but not doctor genre. Doctor genre doesn't seem to be accepted well with K fans.

Me too, but mostly because it would be a repetition. I can think of a few medical dramas that did great? Romantic Dr Kim (or sth like that), Doctors (the one that competed with BM), Brain, etc 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Haha! I think he will be the one to play with his girl too.. singing pororo songs and bringing her to pororo land. Someone spotted him carrying her at Everland too ..think 2 or 3 years back. So sweet.

 

Didn't he mention that he sang lullabies to his sons when they were little ? But they didn't fall asleep..haha.

Yes it was nice watching him talk about him handling children. In HC he said he sang the same song like 6-7 times but his sons didn't fall asleep. And the host teased him maybe his singing is what makes his son unable to sleep. Hahaha!

I think little girl must really be daddy's girl. Probably dote on her crazy.

 

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Me too, but mostly because it would be a repetition. I can think of a few medical dramas that did great? Romantic Dr Kim (or sth like that), Doctors (the one that competed with BM), Brain, etc 

I watched a little of Doctors (because it competed with BM). I didn't like the drama as compared to BM but the audience likes the female lead (so I read). And also got romance between them. BM romance is very bland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Me too, but mostly because it would be a repetition. I can think of a few medical dramas that did great? Romantic Dr Kim (or sth like that), Doctors (the one that competed with BM), Brain, etc 

Recently Dr. John. It's Ji Sung. I think it's done good in rating but when I check for a weekend drama it's average 9%. just watch it a bit and piece but I kinda resume it's like BM. My thought is ppl like doctor drama but with heavy makjang and love story. Doctors has a high rating but heavy with romance and ppl complaining that drama do less doctoring. lol. Dr. John and BM more to heavy thinking and genius doctor kinda not SK cup of tea. :huh:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the talk about him putting the kids to bed or not (I guess with the boys it's just telling them to "go to bed!" while tucking the little one in...), no one discussed this " In the morning taking the youngest to kindergarten." :) I wonder about how the other moms feel about meeting JH every morning there... 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Selected some interesting bits from this interview:

 

 

Jang Hyuk “Unprecedented emotional Lee Bang-won, great pleasure to create”

 

Q : Lee Bang-won holding a fan is something new. Is this in the original script?
A : I just brought one from somewhere (laughing). Kim Gyu-ri painted a picture on the fan, she has been painting folktales since "Beauty". I said, "It will be nice if there is something that reminds you of Lee Bang-won's feelings, can you draw a picture for me?” So she did a lyrical portrayal of a full moon and bamboo swaying in the wind. I liked the picture, so I decided to use it as a prop.

 

Q : Can you say the scene burning the fan at the end was almost ad lib? 
A Yes, when I burn the fan, my mind will be thinking “Everyone dies”.

........

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=052&aid=0001371595

 

 

So the fan as BW prop WAS JH's idea! That's sheer genius! Does anyone doubt anymore just how big JH's influence is on a role? We saw him changing the script, changing the characterization of his character, adding lines and scenes, and adding iconic quirks to his characters! I am more and more in awe of him the more I hear... 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I think he might be a strict father.:grimace:

My theory is he is not a strict father at all (of course, pure speculation) but based on this

 

His boys were known for being hyper-active. As many of you know, CTH once said he thought his kids were hyper until he met Hyuk’s kids! Also, I read about one time, fans saw him at a theme park with the two boys, the boys refused to come out of the park, as soon as they reached the exit they would run back inside and JH spent quite some time chasing after them. Kids with a strict father would not dare to do that, would they? It sounds like his two boys were a handful and made him run a lot :D 

 

He used to sing lullabies to his boys so he most likely does it to his daughter and he memorized the Pororo song

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Nah I have 2 girls, my husband just knows how to play with them and make them high. I am the one who have to calm them down to make them sleep haha.. but of coz maybe papa Hyuk really can sing lullaby lol 

@Prettysup Lol, I suppose every child-parent relationship is different. I have a daughter and a son, and she is closer to my husband who also puts her to sleep.

 

25 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

With all the talk about him putting the kids to bed or not (I guess with the boys it's just telling them to "go to bed!" while tucking the little one in...), no one discussed this " In the morning taking the youngest to kindergarten." :) I wonder about how the other moms feel about meeting JH every morning there... 

I agree his sons probably can sleep on their own once they settle in their beds, but the youngest daughter definitely needs to be put to sleep. However given his work routine when he is filming a drama, I highly doubt he can tuck his daughter in every night. I would imagine he only does it when he is home.

 

I am sure the other moms and the teachers enjoy having glimpses of JH. However whenever I see a local artiste (which is rare), I find that I pretend to act nonchalant instead of approaching the person. Maybe it is me behaving as an introvert. Anyway I thought I read somewhere that he is also popular with neighbours during their recycling day, right? 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Prettysup changed the title to Jang Hyuk 장혁 - upcoming movies 'Tomb of the River’ and 'A Kid Deserves To Die'
  • Admin locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..