3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I know we want to think of him as this soft, shy, good natured guy only, but we also need to remember he has a will of steel, and that he became successful and respected through extremely hard work and determination, in spite of what everyone around him thought. He is a good guy, but he's no delicate flower.

:) For someone who never breaks his promise, is loyal to his marriage and to his agency, definitely has a will of steel. There is always 2 sides to a coin. While I (hero) worship him :grimace:, I also remember he is a normal person. He also has his up moments as well as his down moments.  

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The role of the the three leads was not well done, because the writers wanted to also focus on the Prince's strifes. While watching the two last episodes I felt that the three leads were actually redundant! They are artificially inserted into a story that doesn't really needs them, while the love triangle has been pushed back, the love story is bland and passionless and the friendship is idiotic. We get so many time jumps we don't get to see any character development.

I really think it would have been better if the entire story happened before Bang Won's father became a king. Just focus on the time that led to Poeun murder and to the war that made the father a king, and insert the characters into that time and have their entire story happen there, whatever that story is. And then - if that show was successful- jump a few years forward and do another show that focuses on the strifes

I wonder if the writer is an amateur? I think she knows her writing, she knows what she wants to show but it was done in pieces here and in pieces there. So it ended up like as though JH is the lead and the 3 of them are the supporting. Esp with k netizens praising Bang Won so much after every episode, all the more it looked like Bang Won is the main focus. 

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

New BTS!

Gosh! Why am I finding the bts more entertaining than the drama? And finally I get to see slow motion of Bang Won and Seon Ho fighting! What is Bang Won eating? Sunbaenim gets to eat on set. Newbie no such priviledge. Heeheehee! 

Poor horse must be thinking what is it doing out at night when it should be in the stable!! Bed time! 

It is also NJ last day of work! :grimace:

• Like 5

@budgerie We need to look at ratings in context

Not everyone loved FTLY, not everyone is into rom com (me), but it was considered a “mania” drama, created a lot buzz, allowed JH to demonstrate to a new audience that he can do rom com, it introduced him to new international fans, it is among his most popular dramas on international streaming sites. Personally I pity those who have not been able to fall in love with FTLY, because loving that drama, especially the Jjangs chemistry, is an extraordinary feeling. If a drama gets a Director’s Cut based on voting, it can attest to its popularity. While it didn’t have explosive ratings, its fans were and continue to be very passionate about it. 

Voice has less ratings that FTLY, but, broke records for OCN at the time, introduced him to cable dramas (which used to be seen as a demotion, but no longer the case), introduced him to a new genre and audience. However, his acting got and continues to get a lot of criticism for this drama. It got him new fans but it turned a lot of people off too, who won’t even give him a chance in other dramas thinking he is too loud. This is why this drama doesn’t evoke happy feelings for me. But its all in the eye of the beholder. 

Chuno continues to be his most successful drama in terms of ratings, critics and awards. No other drama of his has reached 30% He even got an international Emmy nomination

Among his most recent dramas, Money Flower has been the most successful drama, in terms of ratings and critics in Korea, but not so much in the international markets (Not 100% sure how it performed in the rest of the world, but I know on streaming sites in the US  it did not rank as popular)  

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

BTS of the ep 11-12- JH eating, joking, and, looks like- directing his fight scene, as we thought :) I wish we had translation, especially of what is said by Ahn Nae Sang at the end- I heard him say Jang Hyuk's name... Is it me or is JH the only one eating while filming?! :joy:

Being able to eat on set and devour food props must be stipulated in his contract beforehand. Dude just can’t stop eating :D 

I agree he seems to be a sweetie but also strong willed, even a bit stubborn.  But yeah we can infer all this from interviews and reality shows but it’s not like we “know” him so there are probably 100 things about him that would probably still surprise us. I just hope he is generally happy and to be able to continue enjoying his acting for a long time. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I really think it would have been better if the entire story happened before Bang Won's father became a king. Just focus on the time that led to Poeun murder and to the war that made the father a king, and insert the characters into that time and have their entire story happen there, whatever that story is. And then - if that show was successful- jump a few years forward and do another show that focuses on the strifes

But this drama you are describing already exists and its too recent to make another similar one, its called Six flying dragons. This writer’s intention (unsuccessful for some of you maybe) was to tell the story of ordinary people within the historical context. Also, if JH is already too old to be playing this version of Bangwon, imagine him playing an even younger version. I don’t think he would’ve been casted. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Exactly, already there are some ppl complaining that the 3 leads have too little screen time, and they don't seem to be the leads at all. Yet others want to see more of YBW when he is just a supporting character. Writer-nim will have a hard time trying to please everyone.

Of course! They should anticipate this when they cast him in supporting role as YBW :P 

And honestly, I don't think the 3 leads have too little screen time, its because of the overpowering presence of JH as YBW that they have this misconception.  Like I mentioned earlier, I almost forgot that Hwi is the lead here too.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie We need to look at ratings in context

Not everyone loved FTLY, not everyone is into rom com (me), but it was considered a “mania” drama, created a lot buzz, allowed JH to demonstrate to a new audience that he can do rom com, it introduced him to new international fans, it is among his most popular dramas on international streaming sites. Personally I pity those who have not been able to fall in love with FTLY, because loving that drama, especially the Jjangs chemistry, is an extraordinary feeling. If a drama gets a Director’s Cut based on voting, it can attest to its popularity. While it didn’t have explosive ratings, its fans were and continue to be very passionate about it. 

Thank you @dramafan33for explaining.

Honest, I don't pay attention to rating when the drama is going on. I never understood rating. I thought if it is 20%, I thought 20% of korea household watching the drama. :sleepy:

Yes, many people came to know JH via FTLY which is good news. Good for him because not only he got new korea fans, he got new international fans too. 

I can't say I like the plot completely although I like his portrayal of Li Gun. The 2nd half of the drama was too wishy washy for me and I actually got bored. 

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

Voice has less ratings that FTLY, but, broke records for OCN at the time, introduced him to cable dramas (which used to be seen as a demotion, but no longer the case), introduced him to a new genre and audience. However, his acting got and continues to get a lot of criticism for this drama. It got him new fans but it turned a lot of people off too, who won’t even give him a chance in other dramas thinking he is too loud. This is why this drama doesn’t evoke happy feelings for me. But its all in the eye of the beholder. 

Sometimes I truly pity him. The man just want to enjoy acting. Is passionate in his craft. He wants to try out and do all sorts of roles and not just restrict himself to 1 genre. 

Why are fans the ones restricting him that he must take this role, do that role. But I am guilty of that as well. So far the roles I got put off was Iris and WOL.  

Chuno continues to be his most successful drama in terms of ratings, critics and awards. No other drama of his has reached 30% He even got an international Emmy nomination

Thankfully there was Chuno. After the drama Thank You, all his other drama were not so desirable in terms of plot for me. I guess Chuno was his turning point. 

Among his most recent dramas, Money Flower has been the most successful drama, in terms of ratings and critics in Korea, but not so much in the international markets (Not 100% sure how it performed in the rest of the world, but I know on streaming sites in the US  it did not rank as popular)  

MF is not an easy drama to watch. But I enjoyed it so much that it was the only JH drama that I didn't fast forward. Pil Joo is my #1 love too among all his other characters.  

58 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Being able to eat on set and devour food props must be stipulated in his contract beforehand. Dude just can’t stop eating :D 

Yes yes, remember in MF, he was literally eating up prop food when no one else is eating. :sweat_smile:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

But this drama you are describing already exists and its too recent to make another similar one, its called Six flying dragons. This writer’s intention (unsuccessful for some of you maybe) was to tell the story of ordinary people within the historical context. Also, if JH is already too old to be playing this version of Bangwon, imagine him playing an even younger version. I don’t think he would’ve been casted. 

The drama that exists focuses of YBW. That's not what I mean- I mean that if the idea is to depict fictional people that are involved with YBW, it would be better to limit the time frame and have it earlier than it has been. In that way they could have really kept YBW in the background, while the story of these characters could get the forefront. The thing is- I don't even know what their story is! Now their story is essentially YBW's, so he needs to be kept passive.

• Like 1

The BTS! HES TOO CUTE chomping on the bun hehehe. Our Hyukie really loves 빵! He’s so down to earth. It’s good to see Ahn Nae Sang well loved by the cast and crew too! He did a tremendous job in his role as Nam Jeon. 

24 minutes ago, budgerie said:

You mean JH drama is dubbed in Thai language or remake in Thailand? 

I think it’s the Thai remake. I’ve started watching Voice again. But kinda bored in some parts because I think the focus of the drama is on the cases and not so much character development. The police and detectives are just there to solve the cases.

• Like 4