10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

As to the story, as we thought Hwi is doing most of the planning here, always telling YBW what is going to happen, while YBW is mostly being led. But the thing is- JH's acting is so powerful, it doesn't matter. JH said he's mostly interested in YBW's relationship with his father, and you see that influence on the story- It's like JH doesn't interfere with the characterization of Hwi, even at the expense of his own character, so that aspect is not so good. On the other hand, the story line surrounding the relationship between YBW and his father is brilliant!

LOL JH is not the director nor scriptwriter nor producer, why did u expect him to influence the characterisation of the male lead? Pls come back to earth. 

8 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

and looks like hes still shooting still. I think it should be done this week? Because in 2 weeks time the show will end. The slowness in which they shoot the drama, wow it has dragged on to the pace of a live shooting drama already :sweatingbullets: I guess sageuk with suh cinematography does take lots of hard work and effort!!

Yes this is real slow, I rem at the first press conference the director said they had 5 episodes left to shoot. So till now still not done ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Yes this is real slow, I rem at the first press conference the director said they had 5 episodes left to shoot. So till now still not done ? 

I'm seeing why the episode count might have been cut. Sageuks do take more time, but the PD also seems slow. He did one of my favorite dramas, Just Between Lovers, which seemed slow too, IIRC.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Seeing how many friends he still have from the time he started, and how much they love him to this day, not to mention that many of his friends say he didn't change at all since his debut, I think he was a very likable person from the beginning. I guess his rising celebrity started to get to his head a bit, as he himself admitted, but the scandal managed to slam him back to earth, gaining him more insights than before, making him the impressive yet unassuming guy that he is today :)

@Biology Lesson @dramafan33 @fiesty8001 No, not at all. I don't mean he is a jerk or a bad person pre military. Perhaps @Biology Lesson description is more accurate than mine as you said "his rising celebrity started to get to his head abit" but I used "not really likable". :blink:

I don't mean to say that JH was different pre military. What I meant was, with rising fame, subconsciously one might change if a little. As much as I want to put him on a pedestal, he is ultimately still a human. No human remains unchanged not even the slightest esp with fame at doorstep. Perhaps his change was not significant enough to be noticed by his friends. Again, I am saying pre military. 

As for his friends saying he hasn't changed, I believe. Most of us don't change significantly or drastically in our personalities. We are still generally the same us compared to us 20 years ago. But that does not mean we did not change even the slightest.

Moreover, as a celebrity when on TV, it is best to speak the minimal. True friends don't say negative things about each other on TV. As JH himself said of DB, what they talked about on TV and what they talk about off TV is totally different. 

11 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Yeah, this is what I think is happening- JH is careful not to take over the show, supporting the lead as much as he can, while making his "little" part of the show as brilliant as he can :)

I guess he is just acting as a mentor to the young leads. Showing them how to act in terms of expression and acting wise. 

He still appears as majestic and impressive as ever! Seeing him walking menacingly with his armor...wow! Even the missing fight scene that would explain the blood on his face that you noticed, doesn't matter. He just comes in, looks around with his beautiful scary eyes, gives a great speech, and that's all he needs to do :) saves JH from more aches during the cold season...  Would I rather see JH fight? Sure. But I much rather the plot was better.

Exactly. It is so anti climax. You see him walked in with blood on his face but who did BW fight with on the way? I wish it was shown to us and not just showing him walk in so majestic.  

what exactly did YBW do here?! 

He killed NJ and that is my greatest satisfaction and the only thing BW did there. 

The plot is not entirely bad, but the editing is or the way it is told to us is. They linger too much on unimportant scenes but the important ones, passed by very fast. But again, everyone idea of unimportant or important varies, according to our likes and dislikes of the drama. 

For me, I wish the fighting between SH and BW was more prolonged and intense. But because writer-nim wants to show BW is more formidable, so it is over before I can enjoy a BW fight scene which is so little in this drama. Another is the killing of CP, thankfully it isn't the cutie boy anymore, but still, it is the CP we are planning to kill here, was done in a split second. At least give CP a chance to stay longer on screen, like he is cornered by the guards and CP gets frightened and tried to escape. Don't even need to show BW killing him. Make it more tense is what I meant. 

• Like 1

@budgerie I guess we didn’t explain it well. His friends go out of their way to say things like “Among my celebrity friends, Jang Hyuk is the one who has not changed one bit” and its many of his friends saying the same thing. And no, his friends don’t only praise him, most times they tease him lol so I don’t think many friends saying the same exact thing is simply a coincidence. Of course people mature and change, what his friends are trying to say is that fame has not gone to his head and he is still humble. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

LOL JH is not the director nor scriptwriter nor producer, why did u expect him to influence the characterisation of the male lead? Pls come back to earth. 

I think I'm very much on earth when I said what I said. In previous posts I've given enough evidence showing that indeed JH, especially now, does influence the plot and the characterization of characters. He for sure did when it came to Dae gil, his character in WOL, we just now heard he had arguments on the set of Thorn that led to having his version of scenes to be filmed if not kept for the final version of the movie, Jang Na Ra said he was responsible for half her character... there are many examples. Believe it or not- it's clear JH has a lot of influence on set. He doesn't write the script, but he does influences aspects of it. And even more clear is that he has control over how YBW is portrayed- he wanted to portray his human side most of all, and this is exactly what we're seeing. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

11 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie I guess we didn’t explain it well. His friends go out of their way to say things like “Among my celebrity friends, Jang Hyuk is the one who has not changed one bit” and its many of his friends saying the same thing. And no, his friends don’t only praise him, most times they tease him lol so I don’t think many friends saying the same exact thing is simply a coincidence. Of course people mature and change, what his friends are trying to say is that fame has not gone to his head and he is still humble. 

Lol. I think we have left school for quite some time. It is difficult to get the correct phrase these days. I definitely believe he didn't let fame go to his head post military. If he had been consumed by fame and became arrogant, I don't think we will still stick here to admire him. 

4 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think I'm very much on earth when I said what I said. In previous posts I've given enough evidence showing that indeed JH, especially now, does influence the plot and the characterization of characters. He for sure did when it came to Dae gil, his character in WOL, we just now heard he had arguments on the set of Thorn that led to having his version of scenes to be filmed if not kept for the final version of the movie, Jang Na Ra said he was responsible for half her character... there are many examples. Believe it or not- it's clear JH has a lot of influence on set. He doesn't write the script, but he does influences aspects of it. And even more clear is that he has control over how YBW is portrayed- he wanted to portray his human side most of all, and this is exactly what we're seeing. 

I think as a senior, JH has some influence, but depends on his rapport with writer and director I suppose. In Gaekju, for example, since he was sorrounded by seniors and the PD was an older guy, I have a feeling his input might’ve been less. In Money Flower, since he has a great relationship with the PD he probably offered more input. In Voice, I honestly feel like his character wasn’t even written! I remember that drama originally didn’t have a male lead and I feel the network felt had to have one (not trusting an action drama with a female lead only)  and his character was added after the fact. So many scenes of him running around and his only line being “shekia” ughh. The writer didn’t even try and that was one character JH couldn’t flesh out properly (because you need a writer and a PD’s collaboration for that) Anyway,  I think JH should try being a director. I feel he could do a good job. 

• Like 5

Sorry I go off topic for a moment. This is for @fiesty8001the drama which I told you about with the same actor in Nirvana. There are many adaptation so I just post a mv here for you. His is the 2008 edition. It is said that this is his masterpiece (just as Daegil was JH masterpiece). My apology to everyone for going off topic for a moment. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4yWNdXzWO4&lc=UgioSHn4Qml07XgCoAEC

I think in MC, he only guide the young men how to interpret their character. He can't directly influence or change the script because it would mean crossing the line of the director and scriptwriter. How a character is interpreted is also according to individual artistes and I think he is careful not to cross that boundary but give the young artistes some space to explore their own character.  

I think, for Daegil or Jun Ki or Chil Sung or Bang Won, it was his own character (he played those character) that he could fight for the way he wanted it to be portrayed. As for Mi Young, he could build up half her character was partly also because JNR was a willing party. If she had insisted to have her own interpretation, JH couldn't have done much either.   

I feel so too that he should be a director (one day) because he goes very much into details or a scriptwriter? :grimace:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

@Biology Lesson @dramafan33 @fiesty8001 No, not at all. I don't mean he is a jerk or a bad person pre military. Perhaps @Biology Lesson description is more accurate than mine as you said "his rising celebrity started to get to his head abit" but I used "not really likable". :blink:

I don't mean to say that JH was different pre military. What I meant was, with rising fame, subconsciously one might change if a little. As much as I want to put him on a pedestal, he is ultimately still a human. No human remains unchanged not even the slightest esp with fame at doorstep. Perhaps his change was not significant enough to be noticed by his friends. Again, I am saying pre military. 

As for his friends saying he hasn't changed, I believe. Most of us don't change significantly or drastically in our personalities. We are still generally the same us compared to us 20 years ago. But that does not mean we did not change even the slightest.

Moreover, as a celebrity when on TV, it is best to speak the minimal. True friends don't say negative things about each other on TV. As JH himself said of DB, what they talked about on TV and what they talk about off TV is totally different. 

I don't think they are saying that he hasn't changed out of politeness- I saw several interviews with his friends in which they were asked a general question about an actor they know that hasn't changed or the nicest guy- and unprompted they would say his name. From what I've been seeing, the amount of people that adore him once having met him is staggering. Also there is the G.O.D 20th anniversary concert - seeing their happiness when they saw JH and the love they expressed towards JH  was amazing. It seems like there is no fake about JH.

Missing soul has gathered several quotes from friends and co-stars. There is nothing formulaic or polite about what they are saying. Too specific:

This is what his co-star from voice said about him:

Another from Voice:

His costar from WOL:

• Like 4

But again, everyone idea of unimportant or important varies, according to our likes and dislikes of the drama. 

Exactly, already there are some ppl complaining that the 3 leads have too little screen time, and they don't seem to be the leads at all. Yet others want to see more of YBW when he is just a supporting character. Writer-nim will have a hard time trying to please everyone.

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

Anyway,  I think JH should try being a director. I feel he could do a good job. 

15 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I feel so too that he should be a director (one day) because he goes very much into details or a scriptwriter? :grimace:

I think he had said before he wanted to be a scriptwriter? But it will be sad for us fans not being able to see him on screen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I think as a senior, JH has some influence, but depends on his rapport with writer and director I suppose. In Gaekju, for example, since he was sorrounded by seniors and the PD was an older guy, I have a feeling his input might’ve been less. In Money Flower, since he has a great relationship with the PD he probably offered more input. In Voice, I honestly feel like his character wasn’t even written! I remember that drama originally didn’t have a male lead and I feel the network felt had to have one (not trusting an action drama with a female lead only)  and his character was added after the fact. So many scenes of him running around and his only line being “shekia” ughh. The writer didn’t even try and that was one character JH couldn’t flesh out properly (because you need a writer and a PD’s collaboration for that) Anyway,  I think JH should try being a director. I feel he could do a good job. 

In the Hwasin interview he said that when he agrees to a drama, he always sits with the director and says what are his demands. This is true at least all the way back to Chuno. I guess initially they agree, but who knows what happens on set. As you said about Thorn, he will argue if he is not pleased with a certain direction. I guess, if that has influence depends on the production. Maybe that is why he's not getting more high profile roles, as you guys mentioned- maybe those productions won't compromise with him from the get go.

Voice is a mystery to me- I really don't understand why people love that show and JH's character so much. I didn't know his character wasn't even in the script originally- that explains a lot! And still, even though all he did in that show was run around and yell "“shekia”, people still love that role... So strange... (I also noticed in Robbers he yelled “shekia” a lot :) )

Is it possible that JH just wanted to work with that team, to introduce himself to them and to that genre in a way, so he took that role? I have to admit he achieved a lot in doing that role- the writer really wants to work with him again and the audience are ecstatic to hear he is coming for another show. So, I guess it was a good call on his part.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Voice is a mystery to me- I really don't understand why people love that show and JH's character so much. I didn't know his character wasn't even in the script originally- that explains a lot! And still, even though all he did in that show was run around and yell "“shekia”, people still love that role... So strange... (I also noticed in Robbers he yelled “shekia” a lot :) )

Is it possible that JH just wanted to work with that team, to introduce himself to them and to that genre in a way, so he took that role? I have to admit he achieved a lot in doing that role- the writer really wants to work with him again and the audience are ecstatic to hear he is coming for another show. So, I guess it was a good call on his part.

Voice was the first cable drama in his career, and it was his first drama right after BM which did not do well in the ratings department. He must be under tremendous pressure at that time. Thankfully Voice was a ratings success, breaking OCN records all over the place. I guess it was good choice he made to choose a genre more acceptable to the general audience?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Exactly, already there are some ppl complaining that the 3 leads have too little screen time, and they don't seem to be the leads at all. Yet others want to see more of YBW when he is just a supporting character. Writer-nim will have a hard time trying to please everyone.

:blush:everyone fans want to see more of their celebrity. I do not participate in the MC forum but I am rather surprised everyone is still cordial. In other drama thread that I was in previously, some fans are already quarrelling if in a situation like this where the supporting is getting more love than the leads. Everyone wants their celebrity to shine and this is normal. Just accept each other opinion, no need to quarrel is how I feel. 

I think he had said before he wanted to be a scriptwriter? But it will be sad for us fans not being able to see him on screen.

Even if he is a scriptwriter, I doubt he will fade off totally. Probably scriptwriter/actor concurrently. 

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

In the Hwasin interview he said that when he agrees to a drama, he always sits with the director and says what are his demands. This is true at least all the way back to Chuno. I guess initially they agree, but who knows what happens on set. As you said about Thorn, he will argue if he is not pleased with a certain direction. I guess, if that has influence depends on the production. Maybe that is why he's not getting more high profile roles, as you guys mentioned- maybe those productions won't compromise with him from the get go.

Not many producer or director-nim or writer-nim can accept to be challenged. In the filming location, director is the boss. Not happy with director, director change cast. If JH wants to be in this market for a long time, I am sure he knows when to pull, when to retract. 

And I also feel that because we don't understand korean language, the exact word he used in korean may not be ARGUE with the director. Subtitles may (sometimes) change the meaning of the exact word he used. As I have shared before, in DB, subtitle was PITY when he goes home and saw his wife sleeping. Chinese subtitle was HEARTACHE. These are two different meanings. I google the words for pity and heartache in korean, it wasn't even the word he used in DB. :sweat_smile:

To each his own I would say. Similarly many likes FTLY but I don't quite like. I like JH acting as Li Gun but it is only his acting that I admire but not the entire plot.

Voice was ok for me but it isn't a drama that I will repeatedly watch from the beginning but I do go back to watch snippets of it. The scene where he cried infront of his wife niche made me tears every time I watched it. Similarly with Robbers, I dislike the plot but some people love it. 

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Voice was the first cable drama in his career, and it was his first drama right after BM which did not do well in the ratings department. He must be under tremendous pressure at that time. Thankfully Voice was a ratings success, breaking OCN records all over the place. I guess it was good choice he made to choose a genre more acceptable to the general audience?

I too feel that Voice was the right choice at that time. Voice is a drama that the general audience can still accept compared to BM. The success opened up new door for him and his name.  

All the time, I thought that FTLY was the highest rating of all his drama and I was surprised it wasn't. I thought most people like love love plot. Instead it was MF and Voice that got good rating. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

It seems like there is no fake about JH.

Do they make a JH for ordinary people like us? :joy: If I have a chance to ask him, I want to know how he ward off temptation? All the beautiful and gorgeous looking actresses. If I didn't remember wrongly, I think LDH likes him right? She was disappointed when he announced his wedding.  

• LOL 1

:blush:everyone fans want to see more of their celebrity. I do not participate in the MC forum but I am rather surprised everyone is still cordial. In other drama thread that I was in previously, some fans are already quarrelling if in a situation like this where the supporting is getting more love than the leads. Everyone wants their celebrity to shine and this is normal. Just accept each other opinion, no need to quarrel is how I feel. 

Even if he is a scriptwriter, I doubt he will fade off totally. Probably scriptwriter/actor concurrently. 

Not many producer or director-nim or writer-nim can accept to be challenged. In the filming location, director is the boss. Not happy with director, director change cast. If JH wants to be in this market for a long time, I am sure he knows when to pull, when to retract. 

And I also feel that because we don't understand korean language, the exact word he used in korean may not be ARGUE with the director. Subtitles may (sometimes) change the meaning of the exact word he used. As I have shared before, in DB, subtitle was PITY when he goes home and saw his wife sleeping. Chinese subtitle was HEARTACHE. These are two different meanings. I google the words for pity and heartache in korean, it wasn't even the word he used in DB. :sweat_smile:

He never used the word "argue" in that interview. He said that he raises his demands from the get go, before he accepts the role. Also he said, that if the action director wanted him to do something that didn't fit Dae gil, he objected to it. In another interview, Healing camp I think, he did say he objected at times to taking his shirt or pants off, and now we know that he had disagreements on the set of Thorn. 

I know we want to think of him as this soft, shy, good natured guy only, but we also need to remember he has a will of steel, and that he became successful and respected through extremely hard work and determination, in spite of what everyone around him thought. He is a good guy, but he's no delicate flower.

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Actually, I don't blame them. The show is muddled. The role of the the three leads was not well done, because the writers wanted to also focus on the Prince's strifes. While watching the two last episodes I felt that the three leads were actually redundant! They are artificially inserted into a story that doesn't really needs them, while the love triangle has been pushed back, the love story is bland and passionless and the friendship is idiotic. We get so many time jumps we don't get to see any character development.

I really think it would have been better if the entire story happened before Bang Won's father became a king. Just focus on the time that led to Poeun murder and to the war that made the father a king, and insert the characters into that time and have their entire story happen there, whatever that story is. And then - if that show was successful- jump a few years forward and do another show that focuses on the strifes

• Like 1