6 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Also, watching and wondering why JH doesn't get projects like this one.  It has his elements of not typical romance. complicated/torture character, and antihero but appealing more to masses.  What do you think of Kim Min-Jung in this work who has also acted with JH?

I'm not liking her character very much. I think her acting is over, she's trying to create a remarkable psycho persona and she end up exaggerating most of the time. This is the first time I watch some of her work, I still haven't watched Gaekju, but I don't like her parts in The Devil Judge. On the other hand, I think Park Jinyoung is stealing the show, his acting is so honest and organic.

• Like 4

News for JH historical show. The female lead is cast, Checked it and I thought as much - this is the actress from Empire of Lust! I was actually really impressed with her in that movie, I'm surprised she hasn't gotten a lead since... though she doesn't seem to have a connection to JH's character... No romance for JH's character? :( 

• Like 4

On 7/27/2021 at 9:37 AM, janghaesoo said:

I'm not liking her character very much. I think her acting is over, she's trying to create a remarkable psycho persona and she end up exaggerating most of the time. This is the first time I watch some of her work, I still haven't watched Gaekju, but I don't like her parts in The Devil Judge. On the other hand, I think Park Jinyoung is stealing the show, his acting is so honest and organic.

I think Kim Min-jung is great but her acting here is very similar to her acting in Mr. Sunshine and My Fellow Citizens. I like her though. For me, Jinyoung is the weakest link. He's okay, just green. I love Ji Sung in this. He and JH are my two favorite actors so I'm happy for Ji Sung but would also love to see JH in a role like this. 

13 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

News for JH historical show. The female lead is cast, Checked it and I thought as much - this is the actress from Empire of Lust! I was actually really impressed with her in that movie, I'm surprised she hasn't gotten a lead since... though she doesn't seem to have a connection to JH's character... No romance for JH's character? :( 

Kang Hanna is great! She's one of those actresses perpetually stuck in second lead roles despite stealing the show in most of the dramas she's in. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be romance for JH. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, qynn said:

I think Kim Min-jung is great but her acting here is very similar to her acting in Mr. Sunshine and My Fellow Citizens. I like her though. For me, Jinyoung is the weakest link. He's okay, just green. I love Ji Sung in this. He and JH are my two favorite actors so I'm happy for Ji Sung but would also love to see JH in a role like this. 

I saw her only in Mr. Sunshine and it felt like a little girl trying to pretend to be a grownup. Her character was supposed to be very sophisticated and sensual, but it didn't come across as real. Her acting was very obvious.

Kang Hanna is great! She's one of those actresses perpetually stuck in second lead roles despite stealing the show in most of the dramas she's in. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be romance for JH. 

I was actually surprised to hear that she never got a lead role after EOL. Initially I was very reluctant to watch EOL because of the ugly sex scenes, but when I saw the movie, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. I liked the story, I just thought the focus of the movie and the promotion was wrong. To my opinion, the real lead of that movie was Kang Hanna. Her character was very central and was the engine for the entire plot. And yet, there were some promotion events that she was completely absent from! Really strange!  I'm actually baffled by why they decided to make the general the lead character. He was boring and stupid, outwitted at every step by everyone! Instead I think she should have promoted as the lead, while Bang Won should have had a much bigger role. As to the sex scenes? Completely ugly and redundant. I didn't mind JH's scene, as it was much more esthetic, short and essential to the plot, to show the way she was used and what drives her. 

Now, I hope she will get an opportunity to shine... I really don't want her role to be similar to what happened with Park Se‑Young in Money flower. She got a lead, but her role so boring that it was immaterial to me.

• Like 4

Since we’ll be waiting a while until the new film comes out, I thought it might be fun to do some listy survey questions about JH’s work/characters and maybe prompt some thoughts/discussion. Totally not serious and half of it is just fangirling, so let’s try to argue light-heartedly :) I do get to a bit of an embarrassingly terminal fangirling level, in fact, but I figure this is the right place for that.

Questions for you guys:

(Top three for each, in order, with #1 being the highest)

Overall Best Work (taken as a whole, the highest quality in all aspects and the best execution)

Your Favourite Work (because I think favourite and best are distinct categories; so this is for those shows/films you love in spite of flaws, or it just appeals a lot to you personally even if it's nothing groundbreaking, or one particular aspect is way too good for the rest of it, etc. AKA: these are the ones you like and rewatch the most even if they’re not necessarily the first ones you would recommend to a non-fan or defend as being Great Art)

Best JH Performance (trying to be ‘objective’ here, looking for what you think best demonstrates his skill, range, and craft rather than just the characters we liked the most; the one you’d show someone to convince them he’s a great actor)

Favourite Character

Sexiest Character

Bonus Extra Shallow Round: Most Beautiful Role (as in Sheer Peak Physical Beauty without taking into account how much you enjoyed the story or performance and whether the character's personality would be off-putting irl: pure pretty factor)

My answers (and I’ll apologise in advance for length even though I will try not to write too much):

Best Work:

3. Beautiful Mind (the plot is chaotic and OTT and there’s a bunch of dangling threads that didn’t get resolved, plus the abrupt shift in focus away from the murder mystery- a lot of big problems. But it has some of the best dialogue and deepest characterisation I’ve ever seen in a kdrama, with a universally interesting and engaging supporting cast, so it makes up for a lot of its weaknesses. Characters > plot for me, and the character arcs are really strong if you give them a chance to get going. The radical tone switch around the middle is rough, but the show ends up much better for it. One of the few shows that would have benefited from more episodes- and I mean even more than the original 16 before it was cut- though ideally with better planning as well.)

2. Robber (brave, gritty, idealistic; its unusual groundedness and willingness to be ugly makes its determined optimism infinitely more impactful, there are some scenes that I find so incredibly touching that I'll never forget them. I’ve got a huge problem with the last five episodes, but it’s a rare gem despite the shaky landing.)

1. Money Flower (at last no caveats; it's just phenomenal. the race is not close for me, this is the one time the writing is every bit as good as all the best parts of the rest of the production. the only kdrama I have ever watched where I was never once even tempted to fast forward anything or let my attention wander; the direction, the acting, the writing, the cinematography, the score- it's so good, so purposeful, so intelligent, so artistically sumptuous. It comes the closest I've seen any long serialised drama get to being actually perfect, except that the last two episodes have some issues in execution. The actual ending was sublime, though, so ultimately those flaws are very minor. I'd give it every award.)

Favourite Work:

3. Shine or Go Crazy (I have an acrimonious love/hate relationship with this show, but there are parts of it which cater directly to me personally that I’ve already watched a bunch of times and will definitely keep coming back to in future; so it really belongs on my list and it’s certainly more fun than not as long as you're willing to practice some forbearance and ignore the stupid ending)

2. Tell Me What You Saw (the main mystery ends up being fairly ridiculous and the overarching plot has many flaws, but the pacing is excellent and every individual episode is really entertaining, the characters have tonnes of potential and I love the dynamic between Oh Hyun Jae and Cha Soo Young even though I would have liked for it to be developed a lot more. It’s perfect shipping fodder for me and they did give me plenty to work with. The show also has a great emotional ending for the leads and doesn’t do anything to ruin its themes or suddenly change the stakes, so it’s a nice, consistent comfort watch in a sea of dramas that give me whiplash. I can rewatch without wanting to skip any chunks, which is pretty rare.)

1. Fated to Love You (once again I have serious plot complaints, but the strength of the characters and the fact that the show is so fresh and clever and full of heart means it ultimately transcends its problems; it's really special. This calibre of characterisation and acting applied to classic romcom tropes played with total sincerity is priceless. It’s a screwball comedy that takes its story and characters seriously and it endears itself to me immensely by being about a couple who are genuinely loveable and good for each other and organically push each other's arcs. This is how you write fairytale romance.)

Best Performance:

3. Dae-gil, Chuno (I've already written an essay and I'm not even halfway done watching, so I'll refrain from getting into it here)

2. Bang-won, My Country (he elevates the entire show, that disappointing quagmire of directionless fictional leads and underdeveloped fictional relationships unable to compete with way more interesting historical figures, which does not deserve how good this character is or how good this performance is; he's mesmerising throughout but his last thirty seconds were world-class storytelling conveying novels worth of introspection using only his face)

1. Pil Joo, Money Flower (on a completely different level, the restraint and subtlety and absolute command of his whole body down to every micro-expression and the very blood in his veins are like nothing else. I thought JH was super charismatic and very talented before watching MF, but I had no idea he was capable of that kind of total mastery. Hands down, no contest, the best performance I've ever seen in a drama and one of the best I've ever seen period. It's never showy, you can never 'see' him acting, he inhabits the character to the point artifice disappears. He is so tightly controlled, everything kept beneath the surface, yet he radiates energy. It's the most contained, deliberate, nuanced performance he's ever done and the magnetism is off the charts. Never a single misstep. Career best so far, imo.)

Favourite Character:

3. Wang So (the contrast between his brilliance and his badassery with his playfulness and compassion, the secret identity and flipping from affable to dangerous, the epic hero moments, the clever political chess- great stuff. this is one of my all-time favourite archetypes and he's so good at it. I've got criticisms of this character and this performance, but I do also love him/it a lot.)

2. Lee Gun (so weird but so wonderful. He is considerate, deeply kind, and mature in a way you almost never see in romantic leading men. In other ways, obviously, he is hilariously immature, but the fact that he’s such a guilelessly nice, supportive person who addresses things directly and is honest about his emotions is precious to me. That he's so reasonable and undramatic about taking responsibility even when he doesn't have to or arguably shouldn't. It sounds bizarre to say given how he comes off at first, but Gun is a sensitive gentleman and a knight in shining armour in the full, best, and unironic sense of those terms while still being a well-rounded, flawed, believable human being.)

1. Bang-won (my precious, precious sad murder prince, he’s so upset about what a ruthless jerk he is and yet he’s unable to choose differently because he’s inexorably destined for kingship by birth, conviction, and temperament; he’s so self-aware and he is the only character in this whole show who has a consistent moral standard to which he holds himself accountable, knowing he’ll be lonely and guilt-ridden but pressing on because too much has already been sacrificed to let it be for nothing- he achieves his ultimate victory at huge cost and immediately cries about it despite masterminding and executing the whole thing with relentless determination- I love him so much. He is magnificent.)

Sexiest Character:

3. Pil Joo (ultra-capable, unflappable genius who is secretly a socially stunted emotional trainwreck deeply, self-sabotagingly in love with a woman of opposite strengths and weaknesses: yes, please. Super powerful men who are also extremely vulnerable and fragile in specific ways are my favourite.)

2. Bang-won (so scary, so majestic; needs a hug. When he was in all white with his hair down I thought I might die of angelic prettiness. He looks so good in white?? It suits him. And then he touches his throat and glares murderously and fjdkfjkdjk.)

1. Oh Hyun Jae (you might be sensing a pattern. He’s brilliant, he’s troubled, he broods and plays mind games from on high, and he’s always 17 steps ahead of you. I love him. OHJ is absurdly OP in the best possible way and it is so SO sexy, this is like the fictional character version of a guilty pleasure except that I don't feel guilty. Once again ultra-capable, once again an emotional trainwreck who is a complete disaster outside of his ‘mission’. Profoundly insightful and perceptive, masterful in manipulation, but a total failboat at normal human interaction because the giant brain does not switch off and has alienated him from others. He’s so cool, everything he does is effortless and awesome, he can beat the living daylights out of dozens of dudes or scale a wall without breaking a sweat but then he’s incurably awkward with the girl he likes even though she’s already his fiancée in the brief scene we get of them together. When Soo Young calls him on his lack of tact or boundaries after he has begun to respect and value her, he gives her this helpless ‘...welp’ expression like he has no idea how to proceed. He looks like an anime character, he’s unrealistically gorgeous and stylish, but there’s still so much brokenness and vulnerability there. Irresistible! He feels things very, very deeply and takes them to utterly to heart without knowing how to moderate or express his emotions in a healthy way. Isu and then Soo Young put him in touch with humanity and help him connect by refusing to be frozen out of empathising with him.)

Most Beautiful Role:

3. Shine or Go Crazy: I could write an entire dissertation on this show and its inexplicable choice to constantly undercut its own enjoyability. There's a lot to unpack. One thing that is pretty simple, though, is that at the point in the series where JH's hair had grown enough for them to use his real hairline and fringe and he started dressing as a prince all the time it became 1000% worth watching no matter how uneven the quality was. I'm usually totally against facial hair, but it works for him and he is so stunning that it is legitimately distracting. I'd forget to follow the dialogue because I was staring at him. The hairstyle, the robes, the regal bearing; it's so much. It takes like 10 episodes to arrive, but holy crap it's a good look when it gets there. You sat through the bad wigs and other iffiness at the beginning, now you're rewarded. He actively doesn't seem real he's so perfect; mind-boggling to think he was nearly 40 because there are times he looks insanely young. 

Anyway, there's apparently debate about whether he was hot in this? Really??:

spacer.png

Reallllllllllllllyyyy??? Not from me, son. Top tier. 11/10. Would marry would definitely not abandon him to a life of loneliness prophesied to make him lose his mind without me for literally no reason /shitty ending butthurt.

And just like with Bang-won, the longer his real hair got, the better he looked. It's also good because they stopped covering his skin and did a thin, natural make-up. I like to be able to see that freckle under his lower lip that lines up with the one in his cupid's bow. Ever since someone pointed it out on Instagram, I always look for it lol. SoGC and BM are where you can see it best. Am I in too deep yet? I'm also obsessed with the beauty mark on his neck.

2. Innocent Thing- the movie was very messy and doesn't seem to know what it wants to say, but wow that kiss was hot and wow he looked good. One could argue the best thing about this film is its casting because the actors were all phenomenal- way better than the confused story really deserved, and it's certainly appropriate that JH is playing a mania-inducing heartthrob the girls all lose their minds over. If anything, they're underplaying how insanely attractive he is, especially for a captive audience at an all-girl school.

1. Robber; this, imo, is his beauty at its peak. The pinnacle of how perfect his face can be, a Renaissance Angel level of serene perfection, with no babyfat and the full glory of his cheekbones and jawline on show. It’s amazing how significantly slight changes in his weight show in his face and how different he can seem just from that, but to me around this level is where he looks his absolute best. (And I'm super stoked he's back on the slim side now :D) Traffic-stopping gorgeous. When he’s bulkier (like MF or BM) some of that glorious bone structure is obscured and the planes of his face aren’t as sharply defined, which takes the ethereal sublime perfection down a notch from the unbearable to the merely super duper pretty. When he’s shredded he gets so painfully beautiful you can barely look directly at him, like looking into the sun. :crazily:

The only quibble I have about his look in Robber is that some of the fashion is a bit questionable and his hair I go back and forth on. I do really like it, I will take any longish hair except that horrible hairspray helmet from the Chinese drama, but it's also covering his forehead and he nearly always looks better if most of his forehead is showing. The straight-across-fringe bowlcuts are so tragically unflattering people can almost be forgiven for not noticing how handsome he is. Almost.

Although, probably his real most beautiful moments aren’t dramas at all but that show where he was wearing the yellow jacket from 2010 and the 'This is Your Life' style show with his childhood crush and other people from his past. I don't think any drama has ever fully capitalised on how staggeringly gorgeous he can actually be. They always tend to rough him up a bit. Except maybe Tell Me What You Saw. Oh Hyun Jae is peak aesthetic with his natural porcelain white skin, flawless long flowing hair, slick all-black wardrobe, and perpetual shades. But they're definitely prioritising him looking cool rather than pretty, cool was the intent. It's just that he's naturally so pretty that the Matrix-esque coolness they were going for makes him look like a gothic romance hero who should be constantly surrounded by shoujo bubbles.

Okay, I'm now officially ashamed of myself for this post :evilelmo: don't look at me

Edited by Kate Llama
fixing (spantaneously??) broken image >:|
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@Kate Llama Wow! Woww Bravo! :wow1:What an amazing write up! Your writing reminded me of someone I read and love on Tumblr. I think your top beauty picks are the same as mine. I would add the movie Maybe aka Rabbit and Lizzard. Also Bangwon (Im so devastatingly in lust with that character and I thought his look was perfection) but also for some reason, The Swordsman. This is too hard! I’ll try to answer your questions but, Im already having a hard time “choosing” and differentiating between best and favorite in my mind. I know what the difference is, but I keep changing my mind about what to place where. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Kate Llama said:

Since we’ll be waiting a while until the new film comes out, I thought it might be fun to do some listy survey questions about JH’s work/characters and maybe prompt some thoughts/discussion. Totally not serious and half of it is just fangirling, so let’s try to argue light-heartedly :) I do get to a bit of an embarrassingly terminal fangirling level, in fact, but I figure this is the right place for that.

Questions for you guys:

(Top three for each, in order, with #1 being the highest)

Overall Best Work (taken as a whole, the highest quality in all aspects and the best execution)

Your Favourite Work (because I think favourite and best are distinct categories; so this is for those shows/films you love in spite of flaws or it just appeals a lot to you personally or one particular aspect is way too good for the rest of it, etc. AKA: these are the ones you like and rewatch the most even if they’re not the first ones you would recommend to a non-fan third party or defend as being Great Art)

Best JH Performance (trying to be ‘objective’ here, looking for what you think best demonstrates his skill, range, and craft rather than just the characters we liked the most; the one you’d show someone to convince them he’s a great actor)

Favourite Character

Sexiest Character

Bonus Extra Shallow Round: Most Beautiful Role (as peak Sheer Physical Beauty without taking into account how much you enjoyed the story or performance and whether the character's personality would be off-putting irl: pure pretty factor)

My answers (and I’ll apologise in advance for length even though I will try not to write too much):

Best Work:

3. Beautiful Mind (the plot is chaotic and OTT and there’s a bunch of dangling threads that didn’t get resolved, plus the abrupt shift in focus away from the murder mystery- a lot of messiness. But it has some of the best dialogue and deepest characterisation I’ve ever seen in a kdrama, with a universally interesting and engaging supporting cast, so it makes up for a lot of its weaknesses. Characters > plot for me, and the character arcs are really strong if you give them a chance to get going. The radical tone switch around the middle is rough, but the show ends up much better for it. One of the few shows that would have benefited from more episodes- and I mean even more than the original 16 before it was cut- though ideally with better planning as well.)

2. Robber (brave, gritty, idealistic; its unusual groundedness and willingness to be ugly makes its determined optimism infinitely more impactful, there are some scenes that I find so incredibly touching that I'll never forget them. I’ve got a huge problem with the last five episodes, but it’s a rare gem despite the shaky landing.)

1. Money Flower (at last no caveats; it's just phenomenal. the race is not close for me, this is the one time the writing is every bit as good as all the best parts of the rest of the production. the only drama I have ever watched where I was never once even tempted to fast forward anything or let my attention wander; the direction, the acting, the writing, the cinematography, the score- it's so good, so purposeful, so intelligent, so artistically sumptuous. It comes the closest I've seen any serialised drama get to being actually perfect, except that the last two episodes have some small issues in execution. The actual ending was sublime, though, so ultimately the flaws are very minor.)

Favourite Work:

3. Shine or Go Crazy (I have an acrimonious love/hate relationship with this show, but there are parts of it which cater directly to me personally that I’ve already watched a bunch of times and will definitely keep coming back to in future; so it really belongs here and it’s certainly more fun than not as long as you ignore the stupid ending)

2. Tell Me What You Saw (the main mystery ends up being fairly ridiculous and the overarching plot has many flaws, but the pacing is excellent and every individual episode is really entertaining, the characters have tonnes of potential and I love the dynamic between Oh Hyun Jae and Cha Soo Young even though I would have liked for it to be developed more. It’s perfect shipping fodder for me and they gave me plenty to work with. The show also has a great emotional ending for the leads and doesn’t do anything to ruin its themes or suddenly change the stakes, so it’s a nice, consistent comfort watch in a sea of dramas that give me whiplash. I can rewatch without wanting to skip any chunks, which is pretty rare.)

1. Fated to Love You (once again I have serious plot complaints, but the strength of the characters and the fact that the show is so fresh and clever and full of heart means it ultimately transcends its problems; it's really special. This calibre of characterisation and acting applied to classic romcom tropes played with total sincerity is priceless. It’s a screwball comedy that takes its story and characters seriously and it endears itself to me immensely by being about a couple who are genuinely loveable and good for each other and organically push each other's arcs. This is how you write fairytale romance.)

Best Performance:

3. Dae-gil, Chuno (I've already written an essay and I'm not even halfway done watching, so I'll refrain from getting into it here)

2. Bang-won, My Country (he elevates the entire show, that disappointing quagmire of directionless fictional leads and underdeveloped fictional relationships unable to compete with way more interesting historical figures and historical relationships, which does not deserve how good this character is or how good this performance is; he's mesmerising throughout but his last thirty seconds were world-class storytelling conveying novels worth of introspection using only his face)

1. Pil Joo, Money Flower (on a completely different level, the restraint and subtlety and absolute command of his whole body down to every micro-expression and the very blood in his veins are like nothing else. I thought he was super charismatic and very talented before watching MF, but I had no idea he was capable of that kind of total mastery of his craft. Hands down, no contest, the best performance I've ever seen in a drama and one of the best I've ever seen period. It's never showy, you can never 'see' him acting, he inhabits the character to the point artifice disappears. He is so tightly controlled, everything kept beneath the surface, yet he radiates energy. It's the most contained, deliberate, nuanced performance he's ever done and the magnetism is off the charts. Never a single misstep. Career best so far, imo.)

Favourite Character:

3. Wang So (the contrast between his brilliance and his badassery with his playfulness and compassion, the secret identity and flipping from affable to dangerous, the epic hero moments, the clever political chess- great stuff. this is one of my all-time favourite archetypes and he's so good at it. I've got criticisms of this character and this performance, but I do also love him/it a lot.)

2. Lee Gun (so weird but so wonderful. He is considerate, deeply kind, and mature in a way you almost never see in romantic leading men. In other ways, obviously, he is hilariously immature, but the fact that he’s such a guilelessly nice, supportive person who addresses things directly and is honest about his emotions is precious to me. That he's so reasonable and undramatic about taking responsibility even when he doesn't have to or arguably shouldn't. It sounds bizarre to say given how he comes off at first, but Gun is legit a sensitive gentleman and a knight in shining armour in the full, best, and unironic sense of those terms while still being a well-rounded, flawed, believable human being.)

1. Bang-won (my precious, precious sad murder prince, he’s so upset about what a ruthless jerk he is and yet he’s unable to choose differently because he’s inexorably destined for kingship by birth, conviction, and temperament; he’s so self-aware and he is the only character in this whole show who has a consistent moral standard to which he holds himself accountable, knowing he’ll be lonely and guilt-ridden but pressing on because too much has already been sacrificed to let it be for nothing- he achieves his ultimate victory at huge cost and immediately cries about it despite masterminding and executing the whole thing with relentless determination- I love him so much. He is magnificent.)

Sexiest Character:

3. Pil Joo (ultra-capable, unflappable genius who is secretly a socially stunted emotional trainwreck deeply, self-sabotagingly in love with a woman of opposite strengths and weaknesses: yes, please. Super powerful men who are also extremely vulnerable and fragile in specific ways are my favourite.)

2. Bang-won (so scary, so majestic; needs a hug. When he was in all white with his hair down I thought I might die of angelic prettiness. He looks so good in white?? It suits him. And then he touches his throat and glares murderously and fjdkfjkdjk.)

1. Oh Hyun Jae (you might be sensing a pattern. He’s brilliant, he’s troubled, he broods and plays mind games from on high, and he’s always 17 steps ahead of you. I love him. OHJ is absurdly OP in the best possible way and it is so SO sexy, this is like the fictional character version of a guilty pleasure except that I don't feel guilty. Once again ultra-capable, once again an emotional trainwreck who is a complete disaster outside of his ‘mission’, mainly work. Profoundly insightful and perceptive, masterful in manipulation, but a total failboat at normal human interaction because the giant brain does not switch off and has alienated him from others. He’s so cool, everything he does is effortless and awesome, he can beat the living daylights out of dozens of dudes or scale a wall without breaking a sweat but then he’s incurably awkward with the girl he likes even though she’s already his fiancée in the brief scene we get of them together. When Soo Young calls him on his lack of tact or boundaries after he has begun to respect and value her, he gives her this helpless ‘...welp’ expression like he has no idea how to proceed. He looks like an anime character, he’s unrealistically gorgeous and stylish, but there’s still so much brokenness and vulnerability there. Irresistible! He feels things very, very deeply and takes them to utterly to heart without knowing how to moderate or express his emotions in a healthy way. Isu and then Soo Young put him in touch with humanity and help him connect by refusing to be frozen out of empathising with him.)

Most Beautiful Role:

3. . Shine or Go Crazy- I could write an entire dissertation on this show and its inexplicable choice to undercut its own enjoyability every time I start to love it. There's a lot to unpack. One thing that is pretty simple, though, is that at the point in the series where JH's hair had grown enough for them to use his real fringe and he started dressing as a prince all the time it became 1000% worth watching no matter how uneven the quality was. I'm usually totally against facial hair, but it works for him and he is so stunning that it is legitimately distracting. I'd forget to follow the dialogue because I was staring at him. The hairstyle, the robes, the regal bearing; it's so much. It takes like 10 episodes to arrive, but holy crap it's a good look when it gets there. You sat through the bad wigs and other iffiness at the beginning, now you're rewarded. He actively doesn't seem real he's so perfect; mind-boggling to think he was nearly 40 for this because there are times he looks insanely young.

Anyway, there's apparently debate about whether he was hot in this? Really??:

Reallllllllllllllyyyy??? Not me, son. Top tier. 11/10. Would marry would definitely not abandon him to a life of loneliness prophesied to make him lose his mind without me for literally no reason /shitty ending butthurt.

And just like with Bang-won, the longer his real hair got, the better he looked. It's also good because they stopped covering his skin and did a thin, natural make-up. I like to be able to see that freckle under his lip that lines up with the one in his upper vermilion line. Ever since someone pointed it out on Instagram, I always look for it lol. SoGC and BM are where you can see it best. Am I in too deep yet?

2. Innocent Thing- the movie was very messy and doesn't seem to know what it wants to say, but wow that kiss was hot and wow he looked good. One could argue the best thing about this film is its casting because the actors were all phenomenal- way better than the confused story really deserved, and it's certainly appropriate that JH is playing a mania-inducing heartthrob the girls all lose their minds over. If anything, they're underplaying how insanely attractive he is, especially for a captive audience of teenage girls.

1. Robber; this, imo, is his beauty at its peak. The pinnacle of how perfect his face can be, a Renaissance Angel level of serene perfection, with no babyfat and the full glory of his cheekbones and jawline on show. It’s amazing how significantly slight changes in his weight show in his face and how different he can seem just from that, but to me around this level is where he looks his absolute best. (And I'm super stoked he's back on the slim side now :D) Traffic-stopping gorgeous. When he’s bulkier (like MF or BM) some of that glorious bone structure is obscured and the planes of his face aren’t as sharply defined, which takes the ethereal sublime perfection down a notch from the unbearable to the merely super duper pretty. When he’s shredded he gets so painfully beautiful you can barely look directly at him, like looking into the sun. :crazily:

The only quibble I have about his look in Robber is that some of the fashion is a bit questionable and his hair I go back and forth on. I do really like it, I will take any longish hair except that horrible hairspray helmet from the Chinese drama, but it's also covering his forehead and he nearly always looks better if most of his forehead is showing. The straight-across-fringe bowlcuts are so tragically unflattering people can almost be forgiven for not noticing how handsome he is. Almost.

Although, probably his real most beautiful moments aren’t dramas at all but that show where he was wearing the yellow jacket from 2010 and the 'This is Your Life' style show with his childhood crush and other people from his past. I don't think any drama has ever fully capitalised on how staggeringly gorgeous he can actually be. They always tend to rough him up a bit. Except maybe Tell Me What You Saw. Oh Hyun Jae is peak aesthetic with his natural porcelain white skin, flawless long flowing hair, slick all-black wardrobe, and perpetual shades. But they're definitely prioritising him looking cool rather than pretty, cool was the intent. It's just that he's naturally so pretty that the Matrix-esque coolness they were going for makes him look like a gothic romance hero who should be constantly surrounded by shoujo bubbles.

Okay, I'm now officially ashamed of myself for this post :evilelmo: don't look at me

Oh I love that. I'll think a bit more to make my list but my choices are almost the same as Yours. I strongly Agree that Robber is his best look. 2007/2008 were excellent years for His beauty.

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote GIFs! Thanks!
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Kate Llama Wow! Woww Bravo! What an amazing write up! Your writing reminded me of someone I read and love on Tumblr. I think your top beauty picks are the same as mine. I would add the movie Maybe aka Rabbit and Lizzard. Also Bangwon (Im so devastatingly in lust with that character and I thought his look was perfection) but also for some reason, The Swordsman. This is too hard! I’ll try to answer your questions but, Im already having a hard time “choosing” and differentiating between best and favorite in my mind. I know what the difference is, but I keep changing my mind about what to place where. 

Thank you! :lol: That might very well be also me on tumblr haha. I've been writing stream of consciousness rambles about his shows on there as I gradually binge his entire filmography. :sweatingbullets:

Bang-won is definitely on the short list, he looks incredible (some hints of eyeliner sometimes? discuss), especially as the show went on and his hair grew out. Also the later-ep look with the loose fringe around his face along with the topknot is one of my favourite ever hairstyles and all the costumes they put him in were fantastic. The all-back, the all-white, that red-purple robe. The armour! Majestic.

I like the contacts from The Swordsman, very striking, but I remember I was bothered how he never changed or washed the whole movie lmao. Sleeping fully clothed and not even bandaging his wounds! Come on. When the healer woman treated him I thought he'd finally get cleaned up and looked after, but nope. It worried me about poor Tae-yul.

I was originally going to have five works/characters for each category, but I decided to cut down to try to keep it a semi-reasonable length lol. It was also somehow making it harder to choose my favourite and best work lists, so I copped out and went with three.

4 hours ago, janghaesoo said:

Oh I love that. I'll think a bit more to make my list but my choices are almost the same as Yours. I strongly Agree that Robber is his best look. 2007/2008 were excellent years for His beauty.

Definitely. Dance of the Dragon could also have easily taken a spot on my list.

Edited by Kate Llama
  • Like 4
  • Awesome 1

@Kate Llama loved your list, I share most of your opinions, though I think I have more of a problem with Wang So and his constant Gebong yelling... :)  And I do agree with @dramafan33 about JH in Rabbit and lizard being a high contender for "the most beautiful JH" list. Also, for the "Best JH performance" I would like to throw into the ring JH's performance in Penthouse elephant. I love the way he portrayed this manic depressive character. I would to see him try a similar character again now, when he's more experienced...

and I have to say- I love to see OHJ getting some love! Like most here, I was fairly disappointed in how TMWYS ended up like. And reading some of his interviews, it seems that JH and the producer share our disappointment. I still think it was better then Voice, but it was unfocused and too busy twisting than putting its emphasis on the development of the characters. The show had potential, but it never pushed the genre's limits. Simply put- the writers of TMWYS weren't up to par to what JH was doing. but, the things that he was doing! :omg: I was yet again amazed by the character that JH developed. I think OHJ was fascinating, one of the most manacling "good" guys that I've ever seen, verging on psychopathic. I have said time and time again that I would love to see the prequel to the show- a prequel focusing on OHJ- showing where he came from, why was he so blasé about torturing and killing people, and then to see him falling in love... I doubt we would get to see OHJ again considering the ratings of the show, but knowing JH, and how he tends to build his characters using his experience with older ones that didn't get their dues, I still have hopes of seeing a version of OHJ sometime in the future...

• Like 3

Looks like Voice is going to get season 5. I wonder, since so many from the first season returned for season 4, if they approached JH to also return or maybe do a cameo and he refused, or maybe they didn't want to overshadow the new lead... At any rate, a cameo I wouldn't mind, but, please, no returning to this franchise!

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 11:57 AM, qynn said:

I love Ji Sung in this. He and JH are my two favorite actors so I'm happy for Ji Sung but would also love to see JH in a role like this. 

Are you Seni Seni by any chance?  I saw JH fan's on one of the comments on a  Devil's Judge ep so had to ask.  Either way you're not the only one that like both that's for sure :).

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, Biology Lesson said:

though I think I have more of a problem with Wang So and his constant Gebong yelling

Oh trust me, I have a lot of complaints about the OTT stuff and the yelling, but his good parts are so irresistible to me that he still ends up being a favourite. This archetype is one of my most loved in all of storytelling: the Scarlet Pimpernel. He's this crazy badass with a shrewd, brilliant mind pretending to be an idle idiot; he’s a prince pretending to be a beggar; he’s an honourable, forthright person being forced to play a game of manipulation and politics. There's just nothing I like better than those layers of identity and getting epic reveals when people find out the truth. A long-suffering cursed prince running a Columbo gambit on people who dismissed him and either don’t know he’s a prince or don’t know he’s a badass but will find out is like... validation porn for me. The mask dropping and him being suddenly deadly serious and powerful: PERFECTION. SUBSCRIBE.

So I tolerate the ill-judged scenes and goofiness, because when it delivers it really delivers. His intelligence and nobility is so much hotter given his willingness to hide it and be thought a fool for the greater good. If this show were better written and better directed (and had a good ending), it would be my dream come true. That's also what makes it so frustrating when it's terrible for no reason!! But you know, you take the good with the bad sometimes. T_T

Like most here, I was fairly disappointed in how TMWYS ended up like.

I didn't have any particular expectations when I started watching it, so I can't say I was disappointed, but I was pretty harsh on its flaws. The wild plot swings, the characters being slow and making dumb choices just so things wouldn't be resolved too quickly, the anti-climax of the main three reveals, motivation that doesn't make a lot of sense, etc. And there's certainly many things that could have been done better, even without asking for more complexity and depth in the character relationships than a thriller/mystery show might have wanted to give. It's a plot and suspense-driven show, not a character-driven show, so their emotional development was secondary and I get that even if I'd prefer that weren't the case.

The more I watch it though, the more I enjoy it for what it is and really appreciate how good the character arcs still manage to be despite the lack of screentime devoted to them. They're a bit anaemic but they make emotional sense and have satisfying resolution. It's worlds better than The Guest, for example. I am also super grateful for how on point and consistent its themes are. It never shoots itself in the foot or randomly changes its message or its stakes, it stays focused and coherent. I don't see that a lot tbh!

I think OHJ was fascinating, one of the most manacling "good" guys that I've ever seen, verging on psychopathic.

He definitely has an edge of menace because there's a sense that his control of his worst impulses is slipping as he's losing his grasp on objective reality and his own identity. In his despair over Isu's death, he's disassociating so much that he's become capable of doing almost anything in pursuit of vengeance, but imo he is absolutely not a psychopath. He has long been jaded and cynical, as we see in the flashbacks, alienated from others by his genius and his ability to unflinchingly analyse killers and crime scenes, but he has deep, lasting emotions and a normal capacity to love. He's plagued by guilt, which psychopaths don't feel. He claims to be a hardline determinist, but that's belied by the fact that he's dedicated his life to preventing crime by studying behaviour.

To me, it's implied that his detachment comes from empathising too much with others. More than he could handle. Clearly it disturbed his coworkers that he was able to anticipate how the psychosis of murderers would manifest itself in their rituals and I'm sure this was not the first time he experienced people being repulsed by his abilities. His skills are a developed form of extraordinary and uncomfortable empathy, he can put himself in the mindset of even the very mentally ill. It's not incidental that he's directly compared to the lawyer who lost her son and he's the one who talks her down- he is most able to empathise with her. Soo Young is more outwardly emotional and gets upset throughout the case because she's sympathising with the victim, but it's much easier and less frightening to put yourself into the shoes of an innocent child than those of a murderer. Hyun Jae is also the one who understood the survivor and what she needed to hear when Soo Young's attempts to relate to her failed.

All three have trauma, but Soo Young has been able to deal with hers productively and process her grief because she wasn't alone or without a firm self-image. She has a sense of purpose and of her place in society, in a community. Hyun Jae and the survivor have lost that touchstone and are unable to move forward or accept what happened to them. They're totally isolated by it.

Isu was his lifeline. I think Oh Hyun Jae was probably afraid of his emotions and how much they affected him and that's why he cultivated the clinical attitude he tries to take towards humanity. It also reflects how others seem to treat him- like he's some kind of lab specimen who might 'turn' on the normies. There's a lingering unease around him from Choi and the other higher up guy, even from the other members of the team- like they think he must be secretly just like the killers he chases or he wouldn't be able to understand them. Like he's tainted by his empathic ability. The 'it takes one to know one' theory of psychology heard on playgrounds everywhere. Hyun Jae is preternaturally perceptive, he's aware of this mistrust and discomfort people have for him. It's not shocking to me he became so cold and unwilling to show vulnerability.

That's why it's so important to the story that we see the flashback of Isu both telling him not to detach too much and acknowledging that she knows he's not as detached as he pretends to be. She knows he cares, she knows he suffers. He has to be a bit distant from the victims for his own sanity and to be able to do his job and save others, but it's not healthy to completely bottle it up either. Soo Young is paralleled with Isu as someone full of compassion who humanises the other and can personalise cases without getting overwhelmed and she does the exact same thing for Hyun Jae. She sees him and she believes in him, and because she does he's able to get back in touch with his sense of self.

Hence the ending. He doesn't kill Dong Shik because he isn't that fatalistic, emotionless shell he invented for himself and the two of them are not the same. People can make free choices and they can change. That hope is more important than getting revenge, which is empty and destructive. He's not just breathing, he's alive. The earpiece activating after the time skip indicates he wants to participate in the world again, to help make it better. He confronted his fear and guilt at the car explosion and he confronted his consuming rage in the hideout, then he was able to start healing.

Edited by Kate Llama
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

I’m glad JH was not casted in The Devil’s Judge because I just saw a scene where Ji Sung is starting to choke Kim Min Jung and I think we’ve seen JH do enough scenes like those already (seriously, whats up with that? They use any excuse to have someone choke someone but, they can’t kiss properly?) Now, him getting chocked, I can still watch :loolz:

• LOL 3