Can some of you vote for Beautiful Mind on this poll? It’s not going to win but our poor drama is always the underdog, even in polls like these :brokenheart:

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2021/05/12/group-watch-poll-2/

Also, for Money Flower fans, the group watch for that drama is about to conclude. You can read some fun and insightful comments from viewers who watched it for the first time

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2021/05/15/open-thread-money-flower-episodes-21-22/

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Can some of you vote for Beautiful Mind on this poll? It’s not going to win but our poor drama is always the underdog, even in polls like these :brokenheart:

Voted, but I haven't seen any of the other shows, except DRT. Kill me Heal me I dropped after a few episodes. Are any of the other shows anywhere close to matching BM's quality or have a performance to match the genius of JH's?

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson Beautiful Mind is my favorite in that poll among the ones I watched (DRT, KMHM and Secret Forest)

DRT I loved the first time I watched it (introduced me to JH) but on rewatches I saw its flaws and I no longer hold it so dear to my heart.

KMHM, I also enjoyed but I don’t rewatch non JH dramas and while I liked it I still prefer BM obviously. 

Secret Forest is highly regarded among kdrama fans. I thought it was “good” but didn’t love it as much as others. Maybe my expectations were too high. 

Of the ones I haven’t watched I am only really curious abut chinese drama Nirvana in Fire because of its rave reviews. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson Beautiful Mind is my favorite in that poll among the ones I watched (DRT, KMHM and Secret Forest)

DRT I loved the first time I watched it (introduced me to JH) but on rewatches I saw its flaws and I no longer hold it so dear to my heart.

I'm with you on that. I think with DRT I liked the story the most. The show itself is so flawed with the silly action, horribly cold female protagonist, annoying court plotting and, I admit, shouty JH. The fact that JH only appears around the 5th episode doesn't help the rewatch experience either :) 

KMHM, I also enjoyed but I don’t rewatch non JH dramas and while I liked it I still prefer BM obviously. 

Secret Forest is highly regarded among kdrama fans. I thought it was “good” but didn’t love it as much as others. Maybe my expectations were too high. 

Of the ones I haven’t watched I am only really curious abut chinese drama Nirvana in Fire because of its rave reviews. 

Yeah, looks like Nirvana in the sky is really popular. I just can't get over how feminine the guys look in it. Not for me... 

I just saw a the results of another poll, and I have to say the fact that the incredibly vapid "What's wrong with Secretary Kim" is before FTLY is a joke to me. Kill me Heal me actually offended me in how unprofessional the female protagonist was behaving, that I couldn't take it. Also, the main character of the male protagonist being so bland didn't help at all...

• Like 2

This is interesting. Again, CTH is talking about JH winning the daesang, but it's not all the clip. I didn't know JH was the youngest to have ever won that award! But I didn't understand why CTH chose "yes" to the question "my friend is more popular than talented"... Maybe the rest of the clip will make this clear- 

The description in the caption, posted by jshgrace on IG:

"National Bang Bang Cook Cook EP06 ~ It's been a long time since JH won the KBS Grand Prize. And CTH is still very proud of him. If not mistaken, in Unexpected Business show, CTH has talked about his feelings when seeing his friends winning a grand award. He also has winning desires. Hope both of them can win a big award in the very near future."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO7OgZwHPxA/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Love how CTH helped to introduce Hyuk's dish and he also understands the mistake Hyuk made. :joy:

And, as usual, CTH won't let go of the mistake JH made... sigh...

It's clear JH really cares about what he cooks and wants people to like it, and, I usually don't comment about JH's marriage, but this baffles me- why doesn't he ever come with anything his wife taught him? it's clear JH's wife has absolutely nothing to do with what he cook. He speaks about planning in his mind what he cooks - he was going over him plan while lying on the hammock :) and also talked about planning the joens he made. I just wonder why doesn't his wife even give him a recipe? I know that if my husband were to do a show like that, I would teach him several recipes... I mean, he's clearly not that bad of a cook and seems rather capable in what he does, he just lacks experience... I wonder if it's him again unwilling to burden his wife, like what Ki sup revealed, that JH will eat outside due to not wanting to make his wife cook him dinner when he comes late...

• Like 2

Just now, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I would also like to know why CTH voted for his friend being more popular than talented when it is absolutely the opposite. 

I still don't know... ( @azureblue7- hint, hint...) :cutekitty: CTH was the only one that voted like that. The comedian did so too at first, but when he saw that his friend voted 'no', he changed his vote. I guess he was trying to be funny by voting 'yes'...

Also, I wonder what was being said in the 'who's the best JH' competition. I don't mean the imitations, but rather what they said to JH and what he said. The guy on the phone I think kinda apologized and complimented JH.

But seeing the scene that all these imitators are obsessed with, it's clear why so many male actors are inspired by JH in this role. Seeing JH in that moment, you don't see and actor playing a character, you see Dae gil! As much as I don't like Chuno, I can't deny JH was inspired in that role! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I still don't know... ( @azureblue7- hint, hint...) :cutekitty: CTH was the only one that voted like that. The comedian did so too at first, but when he saw that his friend voted 'no', he changed his vote. I guess he was trying to be funny by voting 'yes'...

Also, I wonder what was being said in the 'who's the best JH' competition. I don't mean the imitations, but rather what they said to JH and what he said. The guy on the phone I think kinda apologized and complimented JH.

But seeing the scene that all these imitators are obsessed with, it's clear why so many male actors are inspired by JH in this role. Seeing JH in that moment, you don't see and actor playing a character, you see Dae gil! As much as I don't like Chuno, I can't deny JH was inspired in that role! 

Actually CTH wasn't very specific on why he voted hyuk. He just mentioned that Hyuk got the Daesang in 2010 and he was only 36 then.  Received it at a young age. And then CTH just sulked and said, anyway, this is what I think. So AJH said , Ah, it's because CTH has never received a Daesang before."

The guy who imitated Hyuk was grateful to him because he got a CF because of imitating Hyuk. He told Hyuk he will ask him out for a meal. 

Hyuk mentioned a detail in that Daegil scene they showed. He shouted the line "how good will it be?" first , then he repeated that line in a different tone to show his sadness.

Hyuk found it funny that he was nervous imitating himself and he forgot his lines. The guy on the phone actually told him the lines. Haha!

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

And, as usual, CTH won't let go of the mistake JH made... sigh...

It's clear JH really cares about what he cooks and wants people to like it, and, I usually don't comment about JH's marriage, but this baffles me- why doesn't he ever come with anything his wife taught him? it's clear JH's wife has absolutely nothing to do with what he cook. He speaks about planning in his mind what he cooks - he was going over him plan while lying on the hammock :) and also talked about planning the joens he made. I just wonder why doesn't his wife even give him a recipe? I know that if my husband were to do a show like that, I would teach him several recipes... I mean, he's clearly not that bad of a cook and seems rather capable in what he does, he just lacks experience... I wonder if it's him again unwilling to burden his wife, like what Ki sup revealed, that JH will eat outside due to not wanting to make his wife cook him dinner when he comes late...

Maybe his wife did share some ideas with him. But he didn't mention it? :coolshades:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@azureblue7 I want to cut CTH some slack but then he goes and does something annoying just trying to be “funny”. JH absolutely deserved that Daesang no matter what age he was. I mean I guess he has a right to have his own taste and maybe he doesn’t think much of JHs acting but he is supposedly his friend and there’s no need to constantly bash him just to get a laugh. I wish he was a little less annoying at least once. Ugh I guess me and CTH are simply not meant to be lol 

• Like 3

Thank you @azureblue7 for the recount and translations of the episodes!

@azureblue7 I want to cut CTH some slack but then he goes and does something annoying just trying to be “funny”.

That's the odd thing here- I don't think he was trying to be funny (I think the comedian was, not CTH). He was being honest, it seems. This is really what he thinks! And his reasoning was also odd- because JH won at a relatively young age that means... what? that he didn't deserve it?! That, considering his relatively young age, he couldn't have earned that award, so that award must have been given to him due to the popularity of Chuno only?!

JH absolutely deserved that Daesang no matter what age he was. I mean I guess he has a right to have his own taste and maybe he doesn’t think much of JHs acting but he is supposedly his friend and there’s no need to constantly bash him just to get a laugh. I wish he was a little less annoying at least once. Ugh I guess me and CTH are simply not meant to be lol 

I agree. I mean, I'm trying to like him, and I do see his charm and likability, but there are those things... those things that make him very difficult for me to take. I tried to find a way to justify what he said, thinking that maybe there is some Korean subtlety that I'm missing here, but I don't think there is one. The only thing that might explain it is what he said in that episode in Unexpected business- follow this sequence:

So here this actor speaks about being jealous, and Jo in Sung says that jealousy can become like revenge. Essentialy saying- jealousy begets spitefulness.

So here CTH speaks about himself- 

Notice that he said that he was jealous of In Sung, but when JH won the award, he thought "he was amazing". This is a bit different than what he said in the cooking show... 

At the end of the day, all I care is about JH. And the thing is it's hard to know when he gets hurt, he doesn't show it. I tried to look at his face when CTH voted "yes" and then justified it. I can't say how he felt, I don't know...

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, nyk said:

Have anyone watched Vincenzo? Kim Hee-won (aka Money Flower's director) directs this drama.

After knowing it's her work I love this drama even more. It is such a cool drama. reminds me of Money Flower the way she directed it. I just hope JH works with her again.

I checked out The Crowned Clown for JH's cameo and ended up staying for the beautiful way it has been directed and Yeo Jin Goo's fantastic performance. Apparently it's the same director (Kim Hee-won) and also, that Yeo Jin Goo's very very short scene back in Deep Rooted Tree was JH's request. He saw the talent even back then.

22 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I voted! I hope it will be the "editor's choice" for second group watch :fullofhearts: 

19 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I loved the middle stretch of Deep Rooted Tree (episodes 5 to 15-ish?) and JH's character was lots of fun (before he started his Dam-aaaa anguish).

Non-JH chunk of text:

I don't get the high regard about Secret Forest too, I enjoyed more the screenwriter's other work, Life (also starting Cho Seung Woo). As for Nirvana in Fire, I watched it right after my first watch of Money Flower (both are about justice/righting wrongs) and have recommended it to others. The first 4-5 episodes were enough to determine if it's their cup of tea or not. I was hooked (my siblings too!) by the 4th but one friend wasn't.

Anyway, I realized it's not so much that I want JH to star in a fantasy series but it's more of the fact that I want to see him in something light and fun again (I'm thinking to jump into watching Wok of Love). Or maybe instead of acting as a husband/widow with heavy issues, maybe he can co-star with a younger actress as siblings, with the story following their lives and escapades. He has this ssagaji (?) quality that hasn't been utilized in a long while.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I know! I can’t interpret his expression either. Its too neutral an expression. I asked Gumi her take on this, Im curious to see if its a “language or cultural barrier”. Because of time zone difference I have to wait until she reads my message. However, thinking about our past conversations I don’t recall her ever complaining about any of the Dragon Brothers. We’ll see what she says. 

@Jiyuu What does ssagaji mean? I googled it and I got “self centered” but I suppose it means other things? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Yeah, looks like Nirvana in the sky is really popular. I just can't get over how feminine the guys look in it. Not for me... 

Hi all! How's everyone? Wow, I have so many pages to catch up on!

Nirvana in Fire was super popular when it aired. It still is now? But it's a difficult drama to watch. I got confused just watching the characters initially but indeed the 1st few eps will determine if you like to continue or not. Now when I looked back, I didn't like some of the cast acting.

11 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I usually don't comment about JH's marriage, but this baffles me- why doesn't he ever come with anything his wife taught him? it's clear JH's wife has absolutely nothing to do with what he cook.

Even if his wife taught him any recipe, he's not going to broadcast it to the public. He just want to avoid topic relating to his personal life.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

"Absolute monarch" Lee Joon vs. "Kingmaker" Jang Hyuk will face off in "Red Dansim"

According to a report by Hankyung Dotcom on the 17th May, Lee Joon and Jang Hyuk will  face off in KBS new saguek drama 'Red Dansim'.

Lee Joon will play the role of 'absolute monarch' Lee Tae, who wants to strengthen his power and assassinate those who go against him.

Jang Hyuk will play the role of 'kingmaker' Park Gye-won, who fights against Lee Tae. He wants to create a good monarchy.

Attention is focusing on how popular Lee Joon, who has been recognized for his luxury acting skills, and Jang Hyuk, who boasts an irreplaceable presence, will perform.

"Red Dansim" is a fiction historical drama that begins when Lee Tae, the enemy son-in-law of King Seonjong, who became king after Banjeong, ascended the throne of Joseon. Unlike his father, who was a weak monarch, Lee Tae wants to be an absolute monarch. Park Gye-won won credit from leading a successful rebellion, confronts Lee Tae in his efforts to make the king a "flower of the royal family" 

The drama is slated to be broadcast in the first half of 2022.

01.26370815.1.jpg

https://www.hankyung.com/entertainment/article/202105179796H

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

39 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

"Absolute monarch" Lee Joon vs. "Kingmaker" Jang Hyuk will face off in "Red Dansim"

According to a report by Hankyung Dotcom on the 17th May, Lee Joon and Jang Hyuk will  face off in KBS new saguek drama 'Red Dansim'.

Lee Joon will play the role of 'absolute monarch' Lee Tae, who wants to strengthen his power and assassinate those who go against him.

Jang Hyuk will play the role of 'kingmaker' Park Gye-won, who fights against Lee Tae. He wants to create a good monarchy.

Attention is focusing on how popular Lee Joon, who has been recognized for his luxury acting skills, and Jang Hyuk, who boasts an irreplaceable presence, will perform.

"Red Dansim" is a fiction historical drama that begins when Lee Tae, the enemy son-in-law of King Seonjong, who became king after Banjeong, ascended the throne of Joseon, unlike his father, who was a weak monarch. Park Gye-won's tight political confrontation to make the king a "flower of the royal family" after successfully leading the rebellion against Lee Tae, who dreams of becoming an absolute monarch, leads the play.

The drama is slated to be broadcast in the first half of 2022.

https://www.hankyung.com/entertainment/article/202105179796H

I... don't know what to think about this... We spoke about how sagueks often get exhausting with their constant court plotting, but this show sounds like it's ALL court plotting... Also, I wonder- JH's hair is short right now, while he said that he doesn't like to wear wigs, so obviously he wasn't preparing to play in a saguek

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Hi all! How's everyone? Wow, I have so many pages to catch up on!

Hey, was missing your insights! Great to see you back!! 

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Nirvana in Fire was super popular when it aired. It still is now? But it's a difficult drama to watch. I got confused just watching the characters initially but indeed the 1st few eps will determine if you like to continue or not. Now when I looked back, I didn't like some of the cast acting.

Even if his wife taught him any recipe, he's not going to broadcast it to the public. He just want to avoid topic relating to his personal life.

I don't know- he clearly said several times that he planned a dish in his head, meaning that he came up with the dish, so it's clear it's not from a recipe. Even his magic powders :) - he bought them himself. Hell, my mom still prepares certain spices for me, as she has so much experience cooking. So I am surprised his wife doesn't seem to even give him tips for the show... 

• Like 3