1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I rewatched the mast part and it was clear that all of the cast, except for the captain, were worried JH would be offended by what the captain did. I think if it was any one of them other that JH on that mast, they wouldn't have been so concerned. And I wonder why that is- again, he seems so friendly and approachable, and still they seem extra careful with him. Even the comedian, that is usually so talkative, when he was fishing with JH, he was unusually quiet- he seems uncomfortable with JH. When JH was on the mast, the comedian even said "we shouldn't do this to him again". And, again, I wonder why, when JH seemed so fine on that mast.

I think JH is hard for them to read, and he indeed doesn't show if he is offended. I'm only going by his words, because he really did look like he was mostly amused. But I thought him saying "I was getting ready for the lawsuit", was a bit extreme. But, yes, I'm only guessing here.

I thought Soyou literally said she was worry he might be offended at first.  Actually, I think him being so earnest, caring, easygoing, and even that touch of innocent is part of the reason why they might act that way around JH.  Like you know when someone is too good and you easily feel guilty if you hurt them kind of way.  I think most of the cast have more experience in general variety where I feel it can be a lot more extreme where pranks etc go.  Like you said, JH is hard to read and he's also older with captain being exception so I think more intimidating in that regard as well.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

@phoenix24 I agree with you and I think age, as it is the case usually in korean culture, affects their dynamic significantly. Which is probably why the captain was the most careless towards JH during that mast prank situation

Having said that, I do think JH has some “fire” within him. Its not all rainbows and unicorns with him. That fire must be what he taps into for his characters. At the same time, he is a smart guy, he does think his career moves (contrary to what I myself thought, that he was driven solely by feelings and inspiration) The deal should be convenient to him in “some” aspect. It needs to be worthy in some way. Even if he had fun and he learned something new, what would he gain in a new season? The show didn’t even have good ratings. 

Speaking of JH’s “fire energy” anyone who believes or enjoys astrology might find this amusing :D

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Another reason why he might not do the show is he just did it as a challenge to himself and to gain a new experience.  However, the challenge is done and it is on to the next challenge that interest him.  Not to mention that while he had fun times in the water, I'm sure his phobia is still there and seasickness is no joke.  Even people with experience still get seasickness every now and then.  He didn't get sick for a few hours, he was pretty much sick the whole day.

Yeah, I tend to think that's it. And I personally think he bumped on the "definitely" word because he would have to review his options & answer cautiously before committing to something like that.  

As far as the mast prank goes, I think he took in stride & he did say he "loved" being up there so I don't think he was harboring any resentment towards them or anything. May have had a few moments of like "what the heck is going on" type thing, but personally I think his lawsuit comment was said in complete jest, kind of like a dry humor situation.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, DarlaRochelle said:

Yeah, I tend to think that's it. And I personally think he bumped on the "definitely" word because he would have to review his options & answer cautiously before committing to something like that.  

As far as the mast prank goes, I think he took in stride & he did say he "loved" being up there so I don't think he was harboring any resentment towards them or anything. May have had a few moments of like "what the heck is going on" type thing, but personally I think his lawsuit comment was said in complete jest, kind of like a dry humor situation.

He is used to his Dragon Brothers pranks and teasing too. Plus he probably realized this would create a good TV moment. His reaction was great. He completely turned it around and owned it.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

I thought Soyou literally said she was worry he might be offended at first. 

They all were concerned. Also Yeo Jin was shown to say that she was sorry. 

Actually, I think him being so earnest, caring, easygoing, and even that touch of innocent is part of the reason why they might act that way around JH.  Like you know when someone is too good and you easily feel guilty if you hurt them kind of way.  I think most of the cast have more experience in general variety where I feel it can be a lot more extreme where pranks etc go.  Like you said, JH is hard to read and he's also older with captain being exception so I think more intimidating in that regard as well.

You might be right, but I wonder why so many of you resist the thought of JH being angry? :) Again, JH himself that at times he gets so angry on set he could explode , but he controls himself. Also, in the Hwasin interview he did with his friend, you could see that edge on him, as his friend was clearly worried about JH getting angry with him if he crosses a line. JH just never shows that temper in a professional setting. I think all the cast members were worried about JH getting offended cause they knew the captain crossed a line in that mast prank, and also the producer tried to prevent it. JH had every right to be angry there, but he did handle it very well, which is why all them were so baffled. 

Also, don't forget, as professional as the captain is, he hasn't shown great judgement in the past. The first season concept was an absolute disaster, because he couldn't predict the stress that a non-stop yacht journey would put on new sailors. Not to mention him sailing straight into a typhoon, putting those guys in actual danger...  

But this is just my opinion :D

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I think at the end of the day it all just comes down to the fact that he's a human. He of course has shortcomings & a variety of emotions just like we all do. He has anger, self-control, good manners, great discipline, strength, weakness, clumsiness, deftness, a sense of humor, shyness, boldness, kindness, impatience, patience, etc. We're all a walking pile of contradictions and I'm sure he's no different. What matters to me is that he's constantly giving everything he does 150%, that he is polite and good to others, that he's a good sport even if deep down his feelings are a bit hurt at times. He puts his best face forward, of course, as many of us do, but ultimately he's flesh and blood, not perfect (although in my eyes he's pretty close! :)) and I'm personally okay with him not revealing every aspect of his character to the world. After all, he deserves to keep some things to himself.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

16 minutes ago, DarlaRochelle said:

I think at the end of the day it all just comes down to the fact that he's a human. He of course has shortcomings & a variety of emotions just like we all do. He has anger, self-control, good manners, great discipline, strength, weakness, clumsiness, deftness, a sense of humor, shyness, boldness, kindness, impatience, patience, etc. We're all a walking pile of contradictions and I'm sure he's no different. What matters to me is that he's constantly giving everything he does 150%, that he is polite and good to others, that he's a good sport even if deep down his feelings are a bit hurt at times. He puts his best face forward, of course, as many of us do, but ultimately he's flesh and blood, not perfect (although in my eyes he's pretty close! :)) and I'm personally okay with him not revealing every aspect of his character to the world. After all, he deserves to keep some things to himself.

The reason I'm curious is that I'm trying to understand how he creates such amazing characters, most of whom have a dark side to them, while he himself seems so wholesome and, as you guys said, almost innocent. It's clear his perspective and way of working is unique. Not many actors are as involved as he is in the creation of his characters. And he's not not just involved in the creation of his own characters. if actors allow him, he will help them create their own characters- I just read a transcript of a press con they did with the cast of FTLY, and every single actor from the main cast, except for Choi Jin-Hyuk, thanked JH for helping them create their character. I was surprised to hear that he helped make secretary Tak the great character that he was, including coming up with the "Freeze" thing they did.

One thing I hoped we would have been allowed to see in this show is one of the long conversations, he's so famous for. But, even though he did chatter a lot in this show, he didn't really go into deep personal conversations here. Even when the other cast members revealed personal things about themselves, JH didn't. It's possible that JH needs someone of his own age to open up more...

I guess more than anything I want to see JH's work process and understand his way of thinking.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

The reason I'm curious is that I'm trying to understand how he creates such amazing characters, most of whom have a dark side to them, while he himself seems so wholesome and, as you guys said, almost innocent. It's clear his perspective and way of working is unique. Not many actors are as involved as he is in the creation of his characters. And he's not not just involved in the creation of his own characters. if actors allow him, he will help them create their own characters- I just read a transcript of a press con they did with the cast of FTLY, and every single actor from the main cast, except for Choi Jin-Hyuk, thanked JH for helping them create their character. I was surprised to hear that he helped make secretary Tak the great character that he was, including coming up with the "Freeze" thing they did.

One thing I hoped we would have been allowed to see in this show is one of the long conversations, he's so famous for. But, even though he did chatter a lot in this show, he didn't really go into deep personal conversations here. Even when the other cast members revealed personal things about themselves, JH didn't. It's possible that JH needs someone of his own age to open up more...

I guess more than anything I want to see JH's work process and understand his way of thinking.

I totally get it! And that's so interesting abut the FTLY cast - I didn't know that! Where did you find that press con transcript? Sounds like a great read!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DarlaRochelle said:

I totally get it! And that's so interesting abut the FTLY cast - I didn't know that! Where did you find that press con transcript? Sounds like a great read!

It's this press con- 

And the general transcript was posted on the FTLY soompi thread, by Gumi (link below):

"I watched the entire Sohu video and to be honest it was kinda boring......but our actors were very pretty and good looking. 
Most of the stuffs said were not that interesting or already mentioned previously....but here's what I remember (and I know there were some translations provided here already but I don't remember which one was and which one wasn't or if all of them were provided, so I'll just write it anyways)
MC asked the director, from the viewer's point of view those two actors didn't change at all (in terms of how  they look) for 12 years. What do you think? and the director said, I think so too, they didn't change at all, except now Jang Hyuk is married with two kids.
When they asked about Lee Geon's laugh, they said (don't remember if it was director or writer..) that no it wasn't written on the script, JH came up with it. On our first reading day, Jang Hyuk said he'll try this laugh, and we all loved it, so we decided to put it into the script as well. And he just kept using it, utilizing it to create his character.
When JNR was asked how JH changed in 12 years, she said "He has gotten handsome!" and people laughed and she hastily added "Don't misunderstand. He looks exactly the same he did 12 years ago...but just.... more handsome. I don't know how to describe this...!"
JNR said her greetings in Chinese, and then it was CJH turn. CJH said "Oh jeez with someone speaking in Chinese right before me, now I'm all nervous and stressed." MC said maybe he can say a word of Chinese too, and he said nope, don't know a single word.
Choi Dae Chul (our beloved Sec Tak) once again thanked Jang Hyuk. He said a lot of the loved scenes of Sec Tak, including the freeze!! scenes, they were mostly created by Jang Hyuk on spot. It was Jang Hyuk and him interacting on the filming site, and JH coming up with this and that idea, that eventually made Sec Tak a more interesting and lovely character so he is grateful to Jang Hyuk. 
MC mentioned Sec Tak is a sexy ahjussi and Tak got (jokingly) upset, said he is not ahjussi, he is young. MC said these days in China ahjussis are hot and trendy, and Tak made this awkward adorable heart with his arms.
Tak called Jang Hyuk 'hyung' and JH bursted out, "I'm not hyung! I'm young!" and Tak said "ahahaha loll hyung you're in a trouble now (now everybody knows you're older than I am)". But I'm confused, as someone presented alternative theory...I thought Tak was actually 2 years younger than JH (that's what their profile age says) so JH was just joking by saying he's not hyung and Tak was saying oh lol now everybody knows you are older altho u look younger....but then the alternative theory says, maybe Tak is not younger than JH. He could have wrong profile age, that happens to some celebs. So if Tak is actually not younger, then he is the one making joke about calling JH hyung......someone presented this alternative theory cuz JH didn't look like he was joking when he bursted out "I'm not hyung!" Oh, but the truth is behind the wall........I'm so confused...........LOL
Choi Woo Shik (Lee Yong) stood up and said he wanted to be a great actor like Jang Hyuk. And then he added he also wanted to be a great actor like Sec Tak (they were sitting right next to each other and were being super cute together)
And in a separate video of interview with JH and JNR, JH said hardest scenes to film was all the bed-related scenes...cuz he was so sleep deprived and felt like sleeping right away as soon as he lay on a bed. He tried desperately to keep awake in all the bed-scenes. lolawwwwwww (combination of awww and lol)"

• Thanks 2

I think with age come wisdom. Even if he angry he manage it pretty well. I watch a variety show recently and one idol star get angry because he lose in the game. He had the right to be angry bc he work really hard to semi-final but get knock out when someone that being revived (from already lose contestant) beat him. The amount of comment about his attitude so overwhelming. Even we can't blame him 100% but getting angry in national TV is a no no. I'm always amaze how JH control his emotion but also can being cute and goofy in a reality show.

Sometimes, reality TV in can be too much. Too revealing and can be rude at time. I even remember YJS had his pant down in RM by KJK because too much teasing. And he took it like a boss even I can see he was a little bit angry and embarrassed but he control it pretty well. And that's why until now he's nations MC. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

47 minutes ago, yoeda said:

I think with age come wisdom. Even if he angry he manage it pretty well. I watch a variety show recently and one idol star get angry because he lose in the game. He had the right to be angry bc he work really hard to semi-final but get knock out when someone that being revived (from already lose contestant) beat him. The amount of comment about his attitude so overwhelming. Even we can't blame him 100% but getting angry in national TV is a no no. I'm always amaze how JH control his emotion but also can being cute and goofy in a reality show.

Sometimes, reality TV in can be too much. Too revealing and can be rude at time. I even remember YJS had his pant down in RM by KJK because too much teasing. And he took it like a boss even I can see he was a little bit angry and embarrassed but he control it pretty well. And that's why until now he's nations MC. 

JH was super professional in the show. I do think that some of the Korean variety shows go overboard, and can be even nasty, so those I don't watch. I think there is a reason why JH doesn't do certain types of shows, and why he said he doesn't agree to anything before he knows what's the deal.

Have you seen the first season of Yacht Expedition? Now, that was overboard! And still the cast managed to be in control, but the situation was so bad that they asked that the cameras be turned off, so that they could speak candidly. 

18 minutes ago, DarlaRochelle said:

Thanks @Biology Lesson for reposting that transcript for me - so fun & interesting to read - and I'd not heard that about the bed scenes & him trying to so hard to stay awake. That's pretty cute & now I'll probably always think of that in those parts! :)

No problem! From what I read, at the a certain point they were filming without a break, so JH and JNR were extremely sleep deprived. You can see the bags under their eyes :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, budgerie said:

I can't believe it that the Captain doesn't think of safety but I also wonder if the translation is correct.

He does think of safety, but he doesn't seem to be able to consider that other people might react differently to certain situations. He is professional, but he is also an extreme guy!

Remember in the first season he wanted to take the guys on a nonstop 21 (!) days sail, not even thinking that that might be too extreme for new sailors. Remember how our guys suffered in ONE over night sail, so imagine what those guys went through for those first 6 days! On the first day one of them was already seasick, and he suffered for all the 6 days that I saw. Also, the captain knew that there is a possibility for a typhoon, but he didn't even consider trying to go around it or wait. He sailed on, and put the guys into the most horrifying situation. They were literally afraid for their lives! And still the captain wanted to continue on his 21 days sail. Only after one of the guys put his foot down and told him that it's too much, that the captain thought about changing the plan. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

52 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

He does think of safety, but he doesn't seem to be able to consider that other people might react differently to certain situations. He is professional, but he is also an extreme guy!

Remember in the first season he wanted to take the guys on a nonstop 21 (!) days sail, not even thinking that that might be too extreme for new sailors. Remember how our guys suffered in ONE over night sail, so imagine what those guys went through for those first 6 days! On the first day one of them was already seasick, and he suffered for all the 6 days that I saw. Also, the captain knew that there is a possibility for a typhoon, but he didn't even consider trying to go around it or wait. He sailed on, and put the guys into the most horrifying situation. They were literally afraid for their lives! And still the captain wanted to continue on his 21 days sail. Only after one of the guys put his foot down and told him that it's too much, that the captain thought about changing the plan. 

Yes I was surprised/shocked about the 21 days sail. This is not a joke. Sure get seasick. Many donkey years ago when going to China from my country was via ship, as there wasn't flights available yet, my grandparents sailed for 7 days on the big ship & still fell seasick or motion sickness upon disembarkation.

And yes, the typhoon, even with a big ship can't even challenge the typhoon, what else a yacht that they're in. Whether the yacht is even built to withstand rough sea during typhoon is a question mark.

Once I saw a taiwanese interview, 1 of the taiwanese show host commented that k entertainment tend to have their variety shows to the extreme, not really considering safety.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

That's  terrible! I guess Hyuk has definitely discussed much about the deal before agreeing to appear in season 2.

:fullofhearts:Merry Christmas eve everyone!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

JH was super professional in the show. I do think that some of the Korean variety shows go overboard, and can be even nasty, so those I don't watch. I think there is a reason why JH doesn't do certain types of shows, and why he said he doesn't agree to anything before he knows what's the deal.

Have you seen the first season of Yacht Expedition? Now, that was overboard! And still the cast managed to be in control, but the situation was so bad that they asked that the cameras be turned off, so that they could speak candidly. 

No problem! From what I read, at the a certain point they were filming without a break, so JH and JNR were extremely sleep deprived. You can see the bags under their eyes :) 

No, didn't saw the S1.

Better sleep deprived than what they experience when filming Bright Girl. Lol. They barely had a time to take a bath. I think the scene at the public bath really really help him to clean himself. :joy:

• LOL 4

7 hours ago, yoeda said:

Better sleep deprived than what they experience when filming Bright Girl. Lol. They barely had a time to take a bath. I think the scene at the public bath really really help him to clean himself. :joy:

Would anyone be willing to elaborate? This comment has me curious!

Happy Christmas Eve, everyone!

• Like 3