1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson True, although somehow those “grotesque” scenes in Chuno did work for me. Daegil just made me cry every time. Maybe because I was immersed in the story when that happened and the “drunk” scene was one of the first dramatic scenes MJH had. (There’s actually only one Daegil scene that didn’t work for me but I digress) 

I did like some aspects of the “drunk” scene, him touching her hand, was a nice touch. But I don’t know why, I was just so angry that he was soooooo drunk! I wanted to scream, idiot! And I was really irritated that he was ruining the crime scene and no one was stopping him (but that’s the writing, not an acting problem) To be honest I’m not even sure how I would’ve “fixed” that scene, maybe just play him less drunk and that way I could concentrate on the sadness and not on being pissed at him. 

There is another version of Voice on Netflix and I actually was curious to see how that other actor played the scene. Well, there are some things I prefer in the other version and viceversa. 

The other “MJH” wasn’t as drunk, which made the whole thing feel like he was more “aware” of what just happened. I liked that, but on the other hand, the character felt “younger”, less “tough” or “rough around the edges” kinda guy, maybe a bit bland? But also I felt like he was a warmer kind of character, his love for his wife felt a bit more “romantic”, but, the scene felt long, had some cheesy melodramatic OTT moments too (He eats some of the birthday cake) and in general didn’t feel as “heavy” and “raw” a moment as the one with JH. Also, it also made me mad how he took his darn time destroying the crime scene and no one tried to stop him (again, that’s the script) 

Despite not being my favorite JH character, I feel like JH managed to make MJH at least “seem” to have more depth than what was on paper. He simply has that thing called gravitas. 

Didn't you guys say that his character in Voice wasn't actually  planned, that there wasn't that much of him "on paper"?... Well,  I guess I didn't look at the scene from a stand point of reality cause the moment he was allowed on the scene my ability to suspend my disbelief was gone, so I treated the scene only from the stand point of JH's acting, not as a scene that could be real. And that didn't change through out the entire show- From my stand point Voice had so many problems- Lee Hana's acting, the disconnect between the characters, the lack of character development, the utter stupidity of the main premise- her idiotic good hearing, and the utter stupidity of the way they handled the main plot, I just can't stand that show. As I said, at a certain point, I found my self yelling at the screen, insulting the characters... :)

• Like 2

I suppose we all agree that JH is a talented actor who is passionate about acting. He takes any role given to him seriously and we know he will definitely deliver. He does his best and he pushes himself to be better. This is the side of him that we usually see - the passionate and hardworking actor who excels in what he does best, ie. Acting.

But we also know in real life, he has another side to him. He is a little goofy, clumsy, quiet and takes some time to warm up, a little child-like. I am beginning to think that this is the side of him that his family may know him of. And one person who is all too familiar will be JH's wife. I can imagine her wondering what all the fuss is about her husband because he is just one clumsy man at home who just adds on as the 4th child in the family that she has to take care of! Hahaha. I hope over the years, he has learned more about the household matters and can provide some support to his wife. Of course he helps out in recycling and sending the kids to school. I am curious if she sees him as how we see him - one good looking sexy man who is good in bed (I hope!).

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Didn't you guys say that his character in Voice wasn't actually  planned, that there wasn't that much of him "on paper"?... Well,  I guess I didn't look at the scene from a stand point of reality cause the moment he was allowed on the scene my ability to suspend my disbelief was gone, so I treated the scene only from the stand point of JH's acting, not as a scene that could be real. And that didn't change through out the entire show- From my stand point Voice had so many problems- Lee Hana's acting, the disconnect between the characters, the lack of character development, the utter stupidity of the main premise- her idiotic good hearing, and the utter stupidity of the way they handled the main plot, I just can't stand that show. As I said, at a certain point, I found my self yelling at the screen, insulting the characters... :)

I suppose there was already a script for the scene written by the time they filmed, that is what I’m referring to when I say “on paper”. Of course I have no idea what was on that script and what is added by JH as they shoot the scene. But by the time the Voice Thailand version was filmed there is definitely already a script and a point of reference (Thai actor and/or director may or may not watch the k-version but regardless of that, they made their own interpretation based on (I assume) what is on paper, meaning, the script) 

What that other version helped me realize is that, while the irritating actions of both characters are the same (they are both drunk and messing up the crime scene) the way in which they interpret the scene is very different, to the point that they don’t seem to be playing the same character at all.

It is only an assumption but I suppose, I would be irritated by this character’s actions in all iterations since what fundamentally bothers me its something thats part of the script and not the acting. But at least with JH, I felt like the scene had more weight. In the other drama it felt more heavy on the cheese and melodrama. The only one thing I prefer about that other version was that the character didn’t look “so” drunk. MJH k-version was sooo drunk that one couldn’t tell if his crazy reaction was due to the drunkness or the pain, and I kinda would’ve preferred to focus on the pain rather than the drunkness (not sure if this makes sense) 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AquariusMY said:

I suppose we all agree that JH is a talented actor who is passionate about acting. He takes any role given to him seriously and we know he will definitely deliver. He does his best and he pushes himself to be better. This is the side of him that we usually see - the passionate and hardworking actor who excels in what he does best, ie. Acting.

But we also know in real life, he has another side to him. He is a little goofy, clumsy, quiet and takes some time to warm up, a little child-like. I am beginning to think that this is the side of him that his family may know him of. And one person who is all too familiar will be JH's wife. I can imagine her wondering what all the fuss is about her husband because he is just one clumsy man at home who just adds on as the 4th child in the family that she has to take care of! Hahaha. I hope over the years, he has learned more about the household matters and can provide some support to his wife. Of course he helps out in recycling and sending the kids to school. I am curious if she sees him as how we see him - one good looking sexy man who is good in bed (I hope!).

Yeah but all of that is also assumptions, speculations, etc. We don’t “really” know anything about him or how he is at home. We also have no idea how the wife is, she might be serious and/or goofy and/or awkward, who knows? She is even more of a mystery. He said that she is quiet like him. Of course she must see him with different eyes than us mere mortals but she likely knows her husband is at least handsome. I mean, you only need eyes to see that. Whether his beautiful sexy face is important to her or not is another matter. I sincerely hope she gets to enjoy him (for all of us lol) and I hope she sees what the fuss is about, because that would mean she is proud of him and happy-er to have him as a husband. 

• Like 5

@The Reel LifeI agree with you. Not all Directors are like the ones in MF or in Voice or in Chuno who gave JH the freedom to interpret the character his way. There are still Directors who want to have the last word on how it should be done, for example, the Director in Innocent Thing. JH acting is definitely amazing/unique but his style of unique acting may be the reason that hinder him from working with big production project or with big name Directors. Not all Directors are that open minded.

@AquariusMYI agree with @dramafan33. How JH is at home is just speculation & assumption & what he's willing to let us know. The real person at home is still a question mark. He may be totally different from the person we thought he is. Definitely his wife doesn't see him the way we see him. We're literally ogling at her husband & seeing (only) all the good things about her husband. Not forgetting that he & wife had been together since 2002, what they see in each other is definitely the real personality of each other & deeper compared to the superficial facial look or body sexiness. :tounge_wink:

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, budgerie said:

@AquariusMYI agree with @dramafan33. How JH is at home is just speculation & assumption & what he's willing to let us know. The real person at home is still a question mark. He may be totally different from the person we thought he is. Definitely his wife doesn't see him the way we see him. We're literally ogling at her husband & seeing (only) all the good things about her husband. Not forgetting that he & wife had been together since 2002, what they see in each other is definitely the real personality of each other & deeper compared to the superficial facial look or body sexiness. :tounge_wink:

Yea, I totally agree.  Reality can be totally different from what we imagine or even less romantic in a sense.  When you pick someone  who hold such a position or role whether it be an actor, director, doctor etc...you kind of accept what comes with the territory.  There's only so much time in a day for the actual shoot and then also extra time to prepare for the role.  Even the time that he has, it might be more to recharge after he dealt with stress, the elements and so on.  Not that he still can't be sweet, but total time where sole attention or more attention is given to partner might be during actual vacation etc is one scenario.

Or sometime can even be role reversal since he's use to leading and taking care of everyone and looking for someone to do that for him.  Anyway she picked him and they lasted so have to match up somehow.  She probably see both his charms/flaws.

• Like 4

@AquariusMY I agree with what everyone said about everything we think about who he really is, is just speculation. There are several things we know- she fell in love with him before the army, meaning before he became the fit extra-handsome guy. If I'm not mistaken, he said that she thinks he has a pure heart (which made him laugh uncontrollably when he said that. But I think we see what she means...). She stuck by him when he was the lowest. And he also said that whenever they spoke on the phone when he was in the army, she cried... Every time he speaks about her it's clear how much he loves and respects her.  He seems almost proud that she loves him... Another thing that made me understand we know nothing about how he is at home is when he was asked- when he is the most manly, and he said "when I go home". Meaning, we have seen nothing of how manly he really is. That's only for his wife... 

They have been married for years, and I'm sure things change after so many years, but I'm sure she also has eyes, so she knows :)  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, corey said:

I do not yet know if I like this scene or not - to form an opinion I think I need to watch more of the show - to see what this scene signifies and how the character would develops. I was telling you only my "gut" reaction after watching it for the first time. My brain can later explain and justify the drunkedness given the context - but I have to wait. However, MJH also appears to be drunk in the court scene - and this dos not bode well for his further development. Anyway, I will keep you updated on my impressions :D

Oh, don't worry- the character won't develop...:D He just works the cases. That's it.:huh:

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, corey said:

I do not yet know if I like this scene or not - to form an opinion I think I need to watch more of the show - to see what this scene signifies and how the character would develops. I was telling you only my "gut" reaction after watching it for the first time. My brain can later explain and justify the drunkedness given the context - but I have to wait. However, MJH also appears to be drunk in the court scene - and this dos not bode well for his further development. Anyway, I will keep you updated on my impressions :D

In my view MJH was almost an alcoholic. He was always drunk-ish. I remember people complaining so much about this, accusing JH of slurring his words and “talking like a drunk” without realizing that “maybe” it was because the character was literally a drunk. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, corey said:

Yes, I had an inkling that it is so. Who shows drunk at the court trial?

Anyway, Voice has to wait a couple of hours - in the meantime I watched the first ep of "When my love blooms". Guys, this is another mature love story! The leads (well, one of the leads, as the same characters are played by two set of actors, one youger version, and the other in their 40 - thank goodness for that, there are few things more ridiculous than making an actress who is 34 play a highschooler) - well the leads are over 40! Mature! With history of failed/bad relationships! OMG, how I wish JH would pick up a role like that. I think he would be perfect, as the role calls for a lot of "acting with eyes". :tears:

Oh when I saw promo pic was thinking just that mature love story.  Do update us if you continue if it's good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corey said:

Yes, I had an inkling that it is so. Who shows drunk at the court trial?

Anyway, Voice has to wait a couple of hours - in the meantime I watched the first ep of "When my love blooms". Guys, this is another mature love story! The leads (well, one of the leads, as the same characters are played by two set of actors, one youger version, and the other in their 40 - thank goodness for that, there are few things more ridiculous than making an actress who is 34 play a highschooler) - well the leads are over 40! Mature! With history of failed/bad relationships! OMG, how I wish JH would pick up a role like that. I think he would be perfect, as the role calls for a lot of "acting with eyes". :tears:

This is exactly what I was saying! :tears: I wish he had been casted for something like this. But that’s why I made the comment I made - I guess he’s not synonymous with melos and romance. Yoo Ji Tae was the second lead in Healer and I loved him there too, but I think JH would be perfect for these kinds of roles if we are talking abt Melos.

Anyway, let’s just be patient and trust that there is a time and place for everything. Just hoping JH will get an equally amazing partner to star in such a show with the next time it comes around. Whenever that sometime is :tears:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

Why do I worry for him with knife.  Must be all that talk of clumsiness.

What clumsiness? I don't remember anyone said anything about clumsiness... He's actually very graceful. he happens to be good with knives and swords, as can be seen in this ridiculous promo- in the shooting of the promo you can see his handling on knives more clearly. It's only eggs that his impatient with... :)

Going back to this interview- does anyone understand what is being said? I'm just amazed that every word that he says in this interview causes people to burst out laughing. So I'm so curious! What is he saying?!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

What clumsiness? I don't remember anyone said anything about clumsiness... He's actually very graceful. he happens to be good with knives and swords, as can be seen in this ridiculous promo- in the shooting of the promo you can see his handling on knives more clearly. It's only eggs that his impatient with... :)

Think I associate apple closer to cooking because peeling is more delicate and the fact he's not looking

Going back to this interview- does anyone understand what is being said? I'm just amazed that every word that he says in this interview causes people to burst out laughing. So I'm so curious! What is he saying?!

he's just a funny guy.  not sure why they won't allow this youtube video to be embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18TRI9IrnY

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Why do I worry for him with knife.  Must be all that talk of clumsiness.

Hahaha! I think he just exerts too much force when he handles fragile items like eggs.. Knives and others, I think he's fine.

• LOL 5

16 minutes ago, corey said:

Can I just comment how unbelievably hot he is in this clip? In a and with long hair. And this is 2011, right? And he does look exactly the same as OHJ in TMWYS as if these ten years did not exist. :wub:

Ikr!! He looks almost the same! Just a little fairer and I thought more charming as OHJ.

And talking about his wife, I really love this video message for his wife..he's so sweet.. He is romantic in his own ways even though  he said he is not. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

He seems almost proud that she loves him... Another thing that made me understand we know nothing about how he is at home is when he was asked- when he is the most manly, and he said "when I go home". Meaning, we have seen nothing of how manly he really is. That's only for his wife... 

@Biology Lesson Good to learn that he said this. I am always supportive of him being a married man and I am glad that he feels the most manly at home!

@budgerie@dramafan33@phoenix24 I agree with all your comments that we really do not know how he is at home. Please don't get me wrong. I am merely saying if he is really different as a person from the ones we see on-screen, I merely think that his wife's perspective of him could be different from the JH we know. We are all a little different at home and may show a different side when we are at work. No doubt his wife loves him and they have been going strong all these years. Did I even mention anything about their marriage? All I meant is that we see him as a great actor, but to his family, he is their son, husband and father. Hence, it is a dire wish that we can hear from their perspectives of this great man that we admire. It will be funny to know that they may not see him as how we all see him. I remember one Hong Kong idol said when he is home with his siblings, he is the one doing all the work at home to serve everyone as he is the youngest. Family will always see our idols as just the person they know at home.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, corey said:

Finished ep. 1 of Voice. Am I normal when I could not help laughing during the scene when MJH beats the guy who taunts him at the police station? I think I laughed because it was such a cliche scene. And the fellow policemen hurrying to cover the CCTVs.

I say, the setup is good. But @Biology Lesson,  you are saying there is no character development? No healing? No getting close with the FL (yes, yes, I know there will be no getting close to the FL because it is an OCN drama).

I wonder then if JH decided to do the show after reading just the first episode script. It definitely has a promise of an engaging drama with much room for character development. On to ep 2 now.

I think the best part for me in the show, and also JH’s performance in it, was his final scene in the last episode haha. That made me feel worth it for JH doing that show (albeit still not liking it that much). Ok I’m not sure if it’s exactly the final scene but it’s his most prominent scene in the last episode. You’ll get what I mean when you arrive there 15 episodes later. Happy watching! 

• Like 4