@fiesty8001 A thug? Ok thats not surprising but still disturbing and now I take back my “hope” that JH has much participation in that business other than being a talent. Does Sidus have currently any actual successful star or at least established actor like JH? 

Well I believe Kim Ha Neul is with them, and I also would like that pairing

What are your theories about 2013? You think Iris 2 affected his career negatively? Is that it? (It was that haircut right? That cursed haircut! :mellow:)  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

5 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@fiesty8001 A thug? Ok thats not surprising but still disturbing and now I take back my “hope” that JH has much participation in that business other than being a talent. Does Sidus have currently any actual successful star or at least established actor like JH?

I always felt he overworked. Based on his schedule, taking care of kids, reading scripts, meet managers, boxing, filming & what other else. How to do so many things in a day? Remember he said he wakes up at 6am to make toast & milo for his kids. And he watched a movie after putting kids to sleep. Doesn't he get tired?

5 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

What are your theories about 2013? You think Iris 2 affected his career negatively? Is that it? (It was that haircut right? That cursed haircut! :mellow:)  

Hahaha! That cursed haircut :phew: yes that hair was really ugly. The hair at Urban Cop too. As well as the WOL haircut & Bad Papa. He cannot have fringe that covers his forehead but I noticed lots of k actors all have thick fringe cover their forehead. K style?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

What are your theories about 2013? 

I believe JH doesn't have much participation in the business because he keeps his nose to the grindstone. He has been doing many variety shows and low budget dramas and he doesn't have endorsements. If he were into the business he would've been getting better work and more rest.

His company's CEO may be thuggish but he is(...was) really good in grooming new talents. 

Once Sidus was home of largest number of hallayu stars but currently they don't have anyone of that caliber except Kim Woo Bin and Kim Yoo Jung. 

My 2013 theory is still vague but I feel something must have happened in that year. 

1 hour ago, corey said:

LAre C-actors really much richercompared to K actors? I saw a youtube video once which listed the approximate sums paid per episode for the best paid K-Drama actosr and the range was 40 000 USD (Ji CHang Wook) to 80 000 USD (KIm Soo Hyun). COuld not find similar data for C -Actors. But if they are paid similar sums per episode, then yes, they must be richer than K-Actors given the lentgh of C-dramas, LOL.

Yes C stars are richer and China is a huge market. There are more opportunities for doing side businesses and getting good endorsements.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I believe JH doesn't have much participation in the business because he keeps his nose to the grindstone. He has been doing many variety shows and low budget dramas and he doesn't have endorsements. If he were into the business he would've been getting better work and more rest.

His company's CEO may be thuggish but he is(...was) really good in grooming new talents. 

Once Sidus was home of largest number of hallayu stars but currently they don't have anyone of that caliber except Kim Woo Bin and Kim Yoo Jung. 

Kim Woo Bin just signed with a different agency so they are down another one. I wish we could have seen what a different agency could have done for JH, but I guess he must be okay with the state of things. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, budgerie said:

JH is loyal. He's grateful that Sidus gave him a chance when no one else did. And so he'll not walk out of Sidus when he's good now.

I like him to work with Ji Hyun, I want him to work with Ji Won. I want him to work with Ga In. I kind of like Ji Won in Empress Ki. I think she looks good in costume drama too. Maybe JH can team up with her in a saekgu drama....(hopeful).

JH & JH paired up in Windstruck so hopefully we can see a reunion here.

I'm indifferent about Han Ga In. She maybe stars in most high rated K-Drama but acting wise she make me not interested. But, famous female lead doesn't meant a success if a story suck. cough...cough...WOL.

• Like 3

I like they give Chuno some love

10 K-Dramas Turning The Big 10 In 2020

Feb 20, 2020
by Belinda_C

It’s that time again where we turn back the clock by 10 years and revisit some of the more memorable dramas from a decade ago. 2010 was the year that delivered the ratings-strong “Baker King, Kim Tak Goo” as well as the cultural phenomenon, “Secret Garden.” We were also treated to gems such as “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho” and “Sungkyunkwan Scandal,” both of which have only continued to garner more fans over the years. And regardless of how well any of these dramas did during that time, we can’t deny that they are memorable and ones that we remember even to this day.

So let’s head down memory lane and say “Happy Birthday” to these 10-year-old dramas!

Slave Hunters

Chuno.jpg

Aired on: KBS
Air date: January 6 – March 25, 2010 (24 episodes)
Starring: Jang Hyuk, Oh Ji Ho, Lee Da Hae, Gong Hyung Jin, Lee Jong Hyuk, Kim Ji Suk 

“Slave Hunters,” also known as “Chuno,” kicked off 2010 by delivering an adrenaline-filled action drama about a slave hunter (Jang Hyuk) who is tasked with tracking down a runaway slave (Oh Ji Ho). The drama is one that boasts intricately filmed fight sequences and sharp editing, but as beautiful as the cinematography is — and it truly is spectacular — what is even more exceptional is the performance by Jang Hyuk. The rawness and passion in his acting is so visceral, it elevates this thrilling drama to a whole other level.

Slave-hunters-gif.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

So, you guys have been talking about where JH is in terms of status is Korean entertainment, saying that he's not offered roles in top rated productions. After trying several times, I kinda gave up on watching shows without JH, so I don't know what good roles were there recently. So, can I ask- what roles do you think JH should have been offered? I am asking about high rated shows in the two last years that have a role that you think JH would have been interested in- meaning an emotionally complex role that shows depth and growth. Do you have examples like that?

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, dramafan33 said:

I want to see him working again with Soo Ae they had awesome rapport in The Flu (more behind the scenes than in the movie) She spoke so beautifully about him I almost felt like shipping them (but no, his wife is my ship forever) 

Yea, wish they explore it more.  They look cute here.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

CEO of his agency is known for being quiet a thug(not unusual for Korean entertainment agencies though). I don't think JH is involved in the business of his company. 

Did a little search and found this article about the whole "secret garden" situation, and it seems that the party at fault the former representatives of Jay Park, who seemed determined to sabotage Jay Park's career, and not the CEO of Sidus. From what I'm reading here the CEO of Sidus only fought for Jay Park. In this case it seems that JH was caught in the cross fire, but I think that if he really resented this situation- he would have surely left Sidus. But he didn't. And not only that, he has shown his support of Jay Park on many occasions. In the interviews in which he was asked about it,  he said he was OK with losing the role, a role that many of you guys say you didn't even like,  even though it had high ratings. 

In this article it's said that "CEO Jung is a widely recognized and respected figure". Reading this article, the CEO of Sidus sounds like a loyal guy and a fighter, not a "thug", which makes sense to me, since I can't imagine JH being loyal to a "thug", considering JH has a strong personality himself. This also explains why Jay Park is such a "fan boy" of JH. Clearly JH was there for him in such a difficult time. Remember, JH himself was in a similar situation, maybe even worse, and in his case too Sidus was there for him, so...

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2010/12/sidus-hq-ceo-jyps-heated-history-escalates-with-rumors-of-jay-parks-secret-garden-miscast

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Reading this article, the CEO of Sidus sounds like a loyal guy and a fighter, not a "thug", which makes sense to me, since I can't imagine JH being loyal to a "thug"

I didn't call the CEO a 'thug' for this incident !

In my earlier post I have already mentioned that Sidus used to be really good in nurturing talents. 

Even during this Jay Park 'scandal' the Sidus CEO was not at all respectful. He literally called the CEO of Jay Park's former company(J. Y. Park) an a*****e(and more) through his social media account. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

I didn't call the CEO a 'thug' for this incident !

In my earlier post I have already mentioned that Sidus used to be really good in nurturing talents. 

Even during this Jay Park 'scandal' the Sidus CEO was not at all respectful. He literally called the CEO of Jay Park's former company(J. Y. Park) an a*****e(and more) through his social media account. 

Reading what happened at the time, Sidus's CEO seemed to be justified in calling him that! The guy interfered in the hiring of Jay Park, essentially trying to destroy him in the industry, in a contract he had no connection to. If I'm not mistaken, in the US he could have been sued for that- I think it's called "tortious interference". So he was lucky he was just called names... And the article said that the CEO of Sidus later deleted that tweet. These are not the actions of a "Thug", but of someone who really cares about his clients, and lost it for a moment when he saw that his client was being harmed. This made me understand JH even more for being so loyal to this guy...

45 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Reading what happened at the time, Sidus's CEO seemed to be justified in calling him that! The guy interfered in the hiring of Jay Park, essentially trying to destroy him in the industry, in a contract he had no connection to. If I'm not mistaken, in the US he could have been sued for that- I think it's called "tortious interference". So he was lucky he was just called names... And the article said that the CEO of Sidus later deleted that tweet. These are not the actions of a "Thug", but of someone who really cares about his clients, and lost it for a moment when he saw that his client was being harmed. This made me understand JH even more for being so loyal to this guy...

There very few situations in which calling names can be justified and it was not one of them !

His behaviour was completely unprofessional. Sidus had already released their official statement in response of JYP's comments about Jay Park. Honestly no one knows the truth about the nature of dispute between JYP and Jay Park. It's extremely unusual for an idol to leave their groups out of the blue like Jay Park did. It's a miracle that he survived and actually is very successful.

Sidus had protected their artist like any good agency ought to do. The CEO didn't need to lock horns with JYP in the public because JYP's comments were not directed at him. His words also lacked basic decency. In the same year this CEO again had ego clash with C-JeS and made his artists(JH and Kim Sarang) step down from SeGa. Honestly why did he even try to push Jay Park into acting? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

There very few situations in which calling names can be justified and it was not one of them !

Well, that is your opinion! If you can remain calm when your business is being interfered with, costing you a lot of money, when a person you are responsible for is being defamed and destroyed all across the industry, when your integrity is put into question for working with that person at all- well I guess you must be a superior person to most. I can fully understand him losing it, and, again, I'm kinda surprised he did not sue the former representative of Jay Park. He should have. I guess JH agrees with me cause obviously he still wants to work with Sidus, and I'm sure he knows much more of what was going on behind the scenes than any of us. JH's staunch support for Jay park speaks for itself.

@Biology Lesson It’s not just Fiesty’s opinion, I believe you need more context. The production REALLY wanted Jang Hyuk NOT Jay Park. Sidus really wanted to push Jay Park, it was a “If you don’t take our Jay Park we don’t give you our Jang Hyuk” situation, and in the end it turned into an ego clash.
They were the ones who absolutely unnecessarily put the production in a difficult position. Why push Jay Park who is not even an actor at the expense of Jang Hyuk who was at the peak of his career? ( And remember they had just sent him to China to make a terrible drama for cash, when they should’ve been very VERY careful about his next project)

The Secret Garden drama and role may not be my cup of tea but it was written FOR Jang Hyuk. When have we seen that before regarding him? KES, the writer, is nowadays one of the most solidly popular writers in Korea, all her dramas are hits (I know many people dismiss her dramas as fluff, and honestly I couldn’t get into Secret Garden or Goblin myself but I LOVED and Im saying top 10 all time favorite category, love Mr Sunshine. I would love for JH to be in a drama like that, with that kind of production value and success, plus in this case, well written and well acted) Anyway it is said KES writes (or used to write) characters inspired by actors she likes and at the time apparently she was into Jang Hyuk.

But anyway, the bottomline is Sidus (or was it the CEO?) cared more about their ego war than they cared about their most important artist at the moment. Was Jang Hyuk devastated? Maybe not! But you can’t deny that the whole thing sucks! And aha he might be “strong” willed but he also seems to be loyal and nice to a fault, and I can totally picture him yielding at times (you have observed yourself how even his “best friends” can bully him and some I’m sure clearly use him) Jang Hyuk is super loyal to his friends, are his friends super loyal to him? Who knows? 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson It’s not just Fiesty’s opinion, I believe you need more context. The production REALLY wanted Jang Hyuk NOT Jay Park. Sidus really wanted to push Jay Park, it was a “If you don’t take our Jay Park we don’t give you our Jang Hyuk” situation, and in the end it turned into an ego clash.
They were the ones who absolutely unnecessarily put the production in a difficult position. Why push Jay Park who is not even an actor at the expense of Jang Hyuk who was at the peak of his career? ( And remember they had just sent him to China to make a terrible drama for cash, when they should’ve been very VERY careful about his next project)

The Secret Garden drama and role may not be my cup of tea but it was written FOR Jang Hyuk. When have we seen that before regarding him? KES, the writer, is nowadays one of the most solidly popular writers in Korea, all her dramas are hits (I know many people dismiss her dramas as fluff, and honestly I couldn’t get into Secret Garden or Goblin myself but I LOVED and Im saying top 10 all time favorite category, love Mr Sunshine. I would love for JH to be in a drama like that, with that kind of production value and success, plus in this case, well written and well acted) Anyway it is said KES writes (or used to write) characters inspired by actors she likes and at the time apparently she was into Jang Hyuk.

But anyway, the bottomline is Sidus (or was it the CEO?) cared more about their ego war than they cared about their most important artist at the moment. Was Jang Hyuk devastated? Maybe not! But you can’t deny that the whole thing sucks! And aha he might be “strong” willed but he also seems to be loyal and nice to a fault, and I can totally picture him yielding at times (you have observed yourself how even his “best friends” can bully him and some I’m sure clearly use him) Jang Hyuk is super loyal to his friends, are his friends super loyal to him? Who knows? 

Read the article-  the production didn't have a problem with Jay Park initially. It was only after his former representative, JYP Entertainment, threatened to pull ALL their actors from SBS line up, meaning to boycott SBS, that the production wanted Jay Park out. That's extortion! Why don't you have a problem with that?! They should have been sued for that. And what kind of a company would Sidus have been if they allowed one of the clients to be destroyed in that way? 

But we are talking about JH's being loyal to Sidus- now, if he had a problem with the Sidus's handling of that situation, he most probably would have left. But he didn't. Meaning, he supported their decision to stand by Jay. Hell, maybe he was the one that said- "if Jay's out- so am I!"- who know? I wouldn't put it past JH. Again, don't forget that they did the same for him! I guess this is where his sense of justice comes into play. And he has shown his support for Jay many times. This is who JH is and I respect him tremendously for that. This is his career. The way he handles it is his decision. Of course you can criticize him for it, but I don't. Not on this. It's my personal view. Maybe because I also in my professional life put high value on loyalty and integrity. 

As to this writer, I think the only show of hers that I saw was Goblin, and I hated that show.  I found it embarrassing for the actors! I couldn't believe a completely plot-less show, with such childish characters, was such a success. Seriously! So I don't think JH is missing anything by not being offered her shows... But even if she was the best writer in the world, I still would support his decision to back Jay on this.

I know everyone here wants JH to be top tier actor, but considering who he is, I'm not sure that's possible. Look at Hollywood, and what actors and actresses needed to do in order to get the good parts and Oscars (think about Weinstein...). You think the Korean industry is any different?!

I'm satisfied with where JH is in his career, I love his ability to maintain his integrity and still get leading roles, and I trust him to continue and make good decisions in the future. I'm just glad I was allowed to join him on his ride... :) But this is just me. You can disagree with me. It makes for a lively discussion :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Well, that is your opinion! If you can remain calm when your business is being interfered with, costing you a lot of money, when a person you are responsible for is being defamed and destroyed all across the industry, when your integrity is put into question for working with that person at all- well I guess you must be a superior person to most. I can fully understand him losing it, and, again, I'm kinda surprised he did not sue the former representative of Jay Park. He should have. I guess JH agrees with me cause obviously he still wants to work with Sidus, and I'm sure he knows much more of what was going on behind the scenes than any of us. JH's staunch support for Jay park speaks for itself.

Before making your opinion you should also consider other side of the picture. JYP invested a lot of money and effort in creating this new boy group called 2PM(WOL's Junho is member of this group) which was fairly popular at it's peak. Jay Park was leader of this group but heaven knows why he had to leave all of a sudden. I think Jay Park is simply not made for working under someone else's authority. By leaving the group(even if he had solid reason) he also put other members' career at the stake. It's not easy to rearrange an idol group because each memeber has been training for years to fulfil a particular role in the group and being the leader and most creative member of the group JP was a huge loss for them. Not just this even 2PM's fandom was divided due to JP's departure and you must already know how important fandom is for the success of idol groups. Jay Park's move was also financial loss for his group and his company. 

I don't understand why do you support Sidus's CEO's behaviour. Businessmen generally don't have time or inclination to publicly engage in petty verbal fights. Sidus was already doing enough for protecting their artist. CEO's action was totally unnecessary.

I think if CEO was really that much concerned about his artists's wellbeing than his other company(which is subsidiary of Sidus) would not have been this pathetic in managing their artists. They recently kicked out two of their singers(one of whom was their cash cow) out of the agency because they were found to be dating. Jay Park left Sidus years ago and now is CEO of his own record label. 

As for JH he most likely works with the company because he feels more comfortable and secure with them. JH supports Jay Park because JH is a loyal and generous person and in return JP treats JH with respect. Honestly even though the CEO sucks  as long as he is doing his job well, why should JH or other artists should emotionally invest themselves with his character? In the end of day everyone is here for the business.

• Like 4

@Biology Lesson Never said I didn’t respect JH of that I don’t value loyalty and let’s not make assumptions about our personal values based on this. I just think this issue was too complicated to base your opinion on only one article stating only one side of things. The whole thing was a mess. 

BTW @fiesty8001 did you ever read or heard the rumor that it was Sidus agency actually responsible for the whole military service dodging scandal? That it was actually standard practice for them and most agencies to do this? I did but you are much more well informed on such things so I don’t know if what I read was true or speculation. But this is another reason why I don’t see Sidus actions as “supportive” during those critical years, I see it more like, they actually created the mess. Anyway, in general k-ent is shady business (yes much like Hollywood and possibly ALL business) I’d kinda rather not know much sometimes (the irony is I work in ent business, but hey there’s good and bad everywhere of course) 

• Like 1