46 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Well, a latte is more expensive normally? Maybe he spent their alloted money or he was being teased as being “posh” or “spoiled“ for ordering the more expensive drink? 

Yes, I remember JH saying he quit instant coffee for his daughter but Im not sure how latte would be healthier (Maybe instant is supposed to be unhealthier than whole grain beans that get grinded? I suppose they put preservatives in them? Its also less pure I suppose). Latte is simply black coffee with milk. I love coffee but I guess I’m missing something here too. 

I think he was teased for acting like he's an actor so he's different  from them. But he didn't think of it that way..haha. He was innocently replying Yong Man's question, what would you like to drink? Can't he say latte? Yong Man shouldn't ask him and then scold him for his choice. Anyway, funny he still remembered this.So cute ah this guy.

I think it is the creamer in 3in1 instant coffee mix that is unhealthy. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

also a macho thing, drinking “black coffee” is somehow associated with being tough, manly (?) etc black coffee without sugar, Ohhh you are a savage lol. And latte is probably associated with being spoiled, baby, posh, etc Just a theory.

I can't understand people who like their coffee without milk. :idk:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

I think he was teased for acting like he's an actor so he's different  from them. But he didn't think of it that way..haha. He was innocently replying Yong Man's question, what would you like to drink? Can't he say latte? Yong Man shouldn't ask him and then scold him for his choice. Anyway, funny he still remembered this.So cute ah this guy.

I think it is the creamer in 3in1 instant coffee mix that is unhealthy. 

Ahhh thats right. That makes sense. 

@fiesty8001 Coffee can be an addiction. For that reason Ive had it black while working. Because in those cases I have had it to “wake me up” and not for pleasure. But I had to switch it for green tea cause it was giving me health problems. I only drink it for pleasure now, and without milk (also problematic for me) but with sugar. Or with oatmilk no sugar. I enjoy it in various ways :piggydance:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

I can't understand people who like their coffee without milk. :idk:

Same here, so I couldn't understand their fuss over jh and his latte. I guess they were really just teasing him because he behaves like a big kid. He was so funny in DB when he confidently identified CTH's vanilla latte only to correct himself right after he tasted it. :joy:

• LOL 3

When my friend went to Korea, she said almost everyone there drank iced Americano. And with slight sugar. And she said Americano in Korea is not bitter like other countries drink it, it’s very light and refreshing. They seem to do it abit differently. So, I think it’s the culture there! Hence for JH to always go for Latte might seem unconventional for them. But that’s what we love about him, just different, and just stands out without following the crowd! :elated:

and ya I think the lady in the video @azureblue7 shared said “No, you have to pay for a cup”. I think she didn’t mean to be rude at all, but I guess the culture of how people speak there is more straightforward? It also depends on personality. Haha. 

nonetheless, it was truly respectful how he asked, and he spoke very well! So so proud of Hyukie. Just wanna tell him he did well, and that we are always so proud of him. I wonder if he knows how much his fans take pride in him :yay:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, Biology Lesson said:

Not sure. If he does that kinda doesn't make sense cause the daughter is not that old, so JH a  few years before would look completely different? Never mind that JH is playing a 30 yrs old guy... :) 

In period drama, a guy in his 30s is considered "old" already. People in that era marry very young. :lol:

On 8/15/2020 at 12:08 AM, The Reel Life said:

Did you guys also read the news that the major Public networks KBS, MBC and SBS are reducing their drama productions by half next year due to poor ratings? This means that there will not be as many dramas to accommodate the plethora of actors in the industry. Definitely tighter competition and harder to get jobs!!

And with covic still on the rise (think SK got hit by 2nd wave), more people are losing jobs. :tears:

19 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

This is so strange. This is something I noticed about Korean productions- the inability to write a clear synopsis. This was the case for MF, MC and TMWY. I mean is it so difficult to write a straight forward synopsis that describes exactly what's going on in the show or movie?! The synopsis is always vague and filled with feelings... 

I think it's their way of not wanting viewers to know so much but to watch the drama but unfortunately, sometimes, the drama doesn't tell any thing too. :blink:

17 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Actually, going to the army at this time, while the Corona virus is messing everything up, is a stroke of luck for them...

Truly no choice. Army personnel needs to be operational ready. And we just don't know when the dear coronavirus is going to exit....just hope everyone is well/safe despite the training.

12 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Is there any clip for this which I can watch and hear him say this!?

You can understand chinese right? Go to youku or tudou. I used to watch all these clips in chinese.

12 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I have to say-  the whole thing with the coffee still baffles me :blink:- explain to me again, as a  non-coffee drinker- why did she refuse to sell him another latte? Was it just about the money? if it was, why not just pay the extra money? Also- why did she not just give him the cup?! Why can he only have paper cups?! The whole thing seemed very rude, and it seemed like JH still has some serious trauma from the whole incident... :) 

For all you know, it could be pre arranged. Just for adding spice to the programme.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

When my friend went to Korea, she said almost everyone there drank iced Americano. And with slight sugar. And she said Americano in Korea is not bitter like other countries drink it, it’s very light and refreshing. They seem to do it abit differently. So, I think it’s the culture there!

Just like people in taiwan drink bittergourd juice! I was like "WHAT" but after I tasted it, it's different from the bittergourd from my country. And people ate smelly tofu which I tried, it wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be. And coming back to coffee, I still like the traditional coffee - not those latte or americano. heeheehee!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, budgerie said:

Just like people in taiwan drink bittergourd juice! I was like "WHAT" but after I tasted it, it's different from the bittergourd from my country. And people ate smelly tofu which I tried, it wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be. And coming back to coffee, I still like the traditional coffee - not those latte or americano. heeheehee!

Yes!! Taiwan bitter gourd is totally different! I was so pleasantly surprised. I usually take latte only but now u hv all managed to get me curious abt korean Americano. Lol 

• Like 2

@The Reel Life Interestingly it was in Korea that I had something called a “honey cubed latte”. It was delicious! They served honey cubes, the coffee and the milk separately for one to mix it up. But it probably was something special from that particular restaurant. Another thing is that I noticed “latte” or “vanilla latte” is a popular nickname that koreans choose in social media so I never had the impression that it was rare in Korea but the other way around.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Relating to what was said about the networks cutting on the number of dramas they produced, I ran into this quote from an interview with JH after MF ended. I didn't remember him saying this, so it surprised me:

"Jang Hyeok, who debuted as a SBS drama'Model' in 1997, has been making a number of hits while continuing to work. As a veteran of the 21st year of his debut this year, he expressed his ambition to create his own works with the goal of the new year.

“I don't know what will happen in the future, but I also have a desire to create a work. Many years have passed since I started acting, so I have friends who are making productions and writing friends. Of course, I am an actor, but I have a desire to create a genre that I want to do.”"

So he did express the desire to create his own work! This is so encouraging to me! I really hope that this time, with the Corona virus and the reduction in dramas produced by others, will encourage him to finally do this... Though I hope he won't go too artistic. I noticed his taste in films tend to be a bit high brow... At least for me :) 

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=201802111901299375620_1

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Just seeing this picture with these two annoys me... JH has the patience of a saint! 

I can't stand it whenever JH tried to say something, either CTH or KJK will cut him off with their irritating laugh.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

7 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@The Reel Life Interestingly it was in Korea that I had something called a “honey cubed latte”. It was delicious! They served honey cubes, the coffee and the milk separately for one to mix it up. But it probably was something special from that particular restaurant. Another thing is that I noticed “latte” or “vanilla latte” is a popular nickname that koreans choose in social media so I never had the impression that it was rare in Korea but the other way around.

Sounds interesting! So are the honey cubes actually honey ice cubes or just honey cubes? This is the first time I heard of honey with coffee actually. But I’ve heard of coconut sugar and palm sugar in coffee.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Sounds interesting! So are the honey cubes actually honey ice cubes or just honey cubes? This is the first time I heard of honey with coffee actually. But I’ve heard of coconut sugar and palm sugar in coffee.  

Not sure what they were to be honest. I took a picture because it was pretty but then mixed it and drank it without analyzing it closely. I just remember it was yummy. You can see it here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKyZzvmBtG3pQ_Q_dMRJIcC_kRfgUnuywhMXKk0/?igshid=1feoundxs5blo

@Biology Lesson I set the theme to light mode and now I can read it! That is awesome! I don’t think I ever saw him talk about creating his own works this directly. I hope this is what he is doing and why he is taking longer to come back :gangnamstyle:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

5 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Not sure what they were to be honest. I took a picture because it was pretty but then mixed it and drank it without analyzing it closely. I just remember it was yummy. You can see it here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKyZzvmBtG3pQ_Q_dMRJIcC_kRfgUnuywhMXKk0/?igshid=1feoundxs5blo

Can’t see the post unfortunately!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

I googled up diy korean Americano and tried making one with honey in place of sugar.. Hmm.. I still prefer my coffee with milk lol. But maybe I didn't add enough honey to make a difference. I'll try again next time. :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Oops! Its because my personal account is private. I set it to public now. 

I love love love this scene. It’s the only time I endure Hyukie’s singing :D 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CD8scDSJDlJ/?igshid=1v5fmdjt2a6fh

Ok! I saw it now, thank you! So it’s actually honey syrup, but it looks like the cubes in the glass are espresso cubes? Is that right? Anyhow, it looks like a very pretty Presentation of the drink and elaborately And thoughtfully done coffee! Hahaha :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Ok! I saw it now, thank you! So it’s actually honey syrup, but it looks like the cubes in the glass are espresso cubes? Is that right? Anyhow, it looks like a very pretty Presentation of the drink and elaborately And thoughtfully done coffee! Hahaha :D

Yes! Probably made for Instagram lol!it was honey cubes (not sure exactly how they made it solid like that) the coffee was liquid and so was the milk. 

@Ding77 Another way to have coffee is with something called “panela”, not sure if you can find that? Its like “raw” sugar cane and WAIT! Those “honey cubes” actually look like panela!!! Hmmmm. Anywho coffee in a pot with that, cinammon and cloves is nice. I think they do something similar to that in Mexico. 

Annnd have you had vietnamese coffee with condensed milk??? It’s da bomb! :w00t:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1