41 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

You must be talking about Ju Ji Hoon. I've seen very little of him but I didn't think he was bad. Maybe the drama itself is problematic. I saw posters of Hyena and one of them was very cringy.

It's alright even if awards are not that 'fair' as long as nominees were good or charismatic in their respective roles. For example I think it's OK for JH to loose to Lee Byung Hyun or Jo Seung Woo. But nominating outright bad performances diminishes credibility of the awards.

Having separate categories for acting skills and popularity was good way of maintaining balance between artistic and commercial aspects of the dramas. 

It's not like JH will get to play LBW every year. There are not many K drama actors who have ability to play LBW like JH. :mellow:

Yes, Im sad JH didn’t get recognized for LBW because he was extraordinary and what are the odds of him getting to shine like that again? Better than most actors I’d say but still tough. But I also thought he was extraordinary as Piljoo for which he was nomimated and a favorite, even the press speculated that he might get it, and he lost to that senior actor who is ok, but wasn’t expectional in Rebel (imo) and not even the protagonist 

I haven’t experienced the greatness of JSW. I saw him in Secret Forest and I have no complains about him but he hasn’t impressed me. 

LBH did impress me in Mr Sunshine, but I still think JH should’ve gotten Daesang for Chuno instead of LBH for Iris. LBH seems to be a critics or industry darling though. He is always getting recognition. Spare something for JH. He also deserves it. 

@Biology Lesson Hey! I don’t mind if you only try one scene :lol: part of the fun is to see how you trash the shows. You are merciless! If by any chance you get to enjoy it thats a bonus :P

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

58 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Wait- weren't you the one that recommended a show to me that had a fl lead that was so extra super annoying that I thought you were playing a prank on me?! <_< And then you admitted you recommended that show to me just because you liked the lead?! :blink:

:joy:

:w00t: yes yes it’s me. But sigh, it was only one right... and I overlooked that because I just loved Lee Jong Suk lol. Well I can tell you that this show im now recommending, I was neutral to all of the actors in it, and I watched it purely just to try it out and because I needed something lighter after so many heavy depressing shows. So my opinion of this is quite objective, not impacted by any fan bias lol. But then again I’m not as critical as you are over shows haha. I can stomach annoying side characters as long as there is enough pull in other Actors’ performances and the storyline and plot. Honestly, I found it hard to sit through TMWYS and I only hung on to it solely for JH. The cases were way too boring! Mystic has very touching weekly “cases”. 

but I didn’t watch fiery priest so I can’t say if it’s the same kind of humor. Was TFP endearing and touching? 

but now that I’ve oversold mystic, please don’t watch it because I think you’ll be disappointed already haha. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Yes, Im sad JH didn’t get recognized for LBW because he was extraordinary and what are the odds of him getting to shine like that again? Better than most actors I’d say but still tough. But I also thought he was extraordinary as Piljoo for which he was nomimated and a favorite, even the press speculated that he might get it, and he lost to that senior actor who is ok, but wasn’t expectional in Rebel (imo) and not even the protagonist 

I haven’t experienced the greatness of JSW. I saw him in Secret Forest and I have no complains about him but he hasn’t impressed me. 

LBH did impress me in Mr Sunshine, but I still think JH should’ve gotten Daesang for Chuno instead of LBH for Iris. LBH seems to be a critics or industry darling though. He is always getting recognition. Spare something for JH. He also deserves it. 

@Biology Lesson Hey! I don’t mind if you only try one scene :lol: part of the fun is to see how you trash the shows. You are merciless! If by any chance you get to enjoy it thats a bonus :P

Yea, I hope JH isn’t too fazed about not winning that many awards. I definitely feel he has produced better performances than many at different points in time (not always) but sometimes the timing is just not right when you have a great competitor or just someone who is more senior and raking in better ratings. All are good, but it’s a pity the timing doesn’t work at times. But my biggest gripe to this day is the fact that JH is not working with a good enough director or scriptwriter who will allow him to shine together with their works. He shouldn’t need to carry a show To make up for poor whatever, he should shine together with the show and whole cast. MF sorta had that, and FTLY definitely had that. I think FTLY had the best ensemble of talent that came together to produce a great show. Everything in the show just GELLED.  (But granted it was a remake of a vastly popular show). So..... perhaps can do a remake of a great foreign show instead, JH? :( Just don’t do Voice 4 ok? 

• Like 4

@The Reel Life Actually based on the premise and the little I saw of the original, I thought FTLY was going to be a disaster! :lol: I think JH and JNR did a miracle there. Their chemistry and talent elevated that drama (again, imo) I will also give some credit to the PDs and especially the female PD who is my favorite :P (Im biased) 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lessonpart of the fun is to see how you trash the shows. You are merciless! If by any chance you get to enjoy it thats a bonus :P

I also enjoy veryu much how @Biology Lesson bashes the recommended shows. :D

6 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@The Reel Life Actually based on the premise and the little I saw of the original, I thought FTLY was going to be a disaster! :lol: I think JH and JNR did a miracle there.

Speaking of JNR, she is now in a show called Oh My baby but I just cannot bring myself to watch even one episode, because the entire premise of the show is simply repulsive to me. I do not really know why.

41 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Well I can tell you that this show im now recommending, I was neutral to all of the actors in it, and I watched it purely just to try it out and because I needed something lighter after so many heavy depressing shows.

Actually, I hated the actress playing the FL (Weol Ju), because sha was in the show which I most loathe among K-Dramas "Secret"

But she is surprisingly good here, and she is such a good match for Manager Gui (the actor was in Hwarang, he was playing the doctor, the father of FL).

As to JH's new project, I could not think of any foreign show he can do a remake of. I wish he could do something heartwarming, like a modern version of Robbers this time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Well, if the awards shows in Korea are anything like awards shows in the US, winning an award has also to do with politics, clout of the production, and money invested in the promotion of the show and actor, and more. And for sure the award shows want to draw high ratings, so they will nominate the actors from the shows with the highest ratings. I think art and its quality has very little to do with the actual award. 

I can tell you that the only vids I search on YouTube are of JH, and still YouTube recommended to me vids of Crash landing, Chocolate, When the Camellia Blooms, And recently, I've been getting recommendations for the new Song Seung-heon show. Why? because their channels paid for YouTube to promote them.

The fact is that the promotion of MC was botched by JTBC. I personally noticed that many netizans didn't even hear about the show, and even less knew that JH was in it. Also, whatever promotion there was was focused on the young leads, and that was a mistake. By the time they realized the magnificence of LBW, it was too late. And still, even after they realized that, they still didn't use JH to promote the show. Where were the news bits in the entertainment shows about the show, like there were for other JH's shows?! JTBC did do that second press conference that was focused on JH, but, for some reason, they didn't release its video. Why? What was the point of that? How can a press conference that isn't broadcast on TV or online help in the promotion?! very odd... Also, JH didn't participate in any variety shows to promote MC... and still in spite of the botched promotion, it seems like MC is popular on Netflix- remember my two students that coincidentally recommended it to me? but I guess popularity on Netflix in not taken into account when when deciding on nominations to award shows...

I wonder if JH even expected to be nominated for MC... We know that Yang Se-jong, that played Hwi, thought JH should be nominated, but even he wasn't nominated nor was Woo Do-hwan. I feel sorry for them, they worked so hard on that show, and they did give good performances...

I don't trash shows... I give my honest criticism ;), that happens to be merciless... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, corey said:

I also enjoy veryu much how @Biology Lesson bashes the recommended shows. :D

I don't bash... OK- In this case, call me your resident merciless critic! :joy:

Speaking of JNR, she is now in a show called Oh My baby but I just cannot bring myself to watch even one episode, because the entire premise of the show is simply repulsive to me. I do not really know why.

I agree, and I also don't know why. Maybe because how smug her character seems in the promotion? Not sure, I just know I don't care to watch that show... 

As to JH's new project, I could not think of any foreign show he can do a remake of. I wish he could do something heartwarming, like a modern version of Robbers this time.

If we're talking heartwarming, there was a movie I mentioned before that I think could suit JH- it an old Al Pacino movie called "Author, Author", about a theater play writer whose wife leaves him, leaving with him also  their son and her other children from previous marriage. The center of the movie is his relationship with the children, and it's really sweet, chaotic and funny. I remember loving that movie, and I think JH would be perfect for such a show.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

As for Baeksang awards, I think this year was definitely heavy on popularity. As in they chose the best actors from the popular dramas. Rather than just objectively looking at every single drama and the performance. But I guess even awards shows are to an extent popularity awards even if they want it to be critically acclaimed. Because if it’s something very rarely watched, then people won’t be able to identify with the winners and the awards show would probably feel IG defeats the purpose. They want viewers to tune in afterall. 

Fully agree with you on this. At the end of the day, they want audience to tune in. So artistes with drama scoring highest rating stands a good chance of winning the Baeksang.

JH recent drama (after MF) are not drama that most people would watch (WOL BPP MC TMWYS). It's hardly considered popular drama...but MC should be considered popular right? I thought he had good reviews/feedback...??

13 hours ago, corey said:

South Korean actor Jang Hyuk attends during his essay book launch ...

I love this pic. He looked much sexier with sleeve up. I was hoping I could get hold of his book but it isn't sold in English or Chinese version.

Hide contents

I think my reaction is little over the top here. Right now I'm unable to differentiate NIF from Disguiser. Afterall I've seen Hyukie playing 20 something characters with his 40's face. :PMaybe I should give it one more chance after a few months.

No worries even if you do not like Disguiser although the actors are the same from NIF.

IMO, it would be "too much" if we expect every drama of our favourite actor/actress to hit the ratings every time. This actor might have won the best actor award for this drama but his next drama sucks big time. Very often the blame is on the actor or actress but I feel the whole production team has to shoulder it as well. The bad script, the bad directing, the bad whatever it can be. 

In chinese there is a saying "jian ren jian zhi" means we can both be looking at the same object but we have different opinion as to what we're seeing. This is the same in dramaland. 

All of us got pre requisites before watching a drama. Some go for love story. Some for thriller. For me, the actor mustn't look feminine. My genre is pretty wide but I mainly like historical/ancient. Not too long ago I finished The Drug Hunter c drama, it's a police & thief kind of genre. As in all drama, there's bound to be flaws in the plot here & there but if you like police & thief genre, you can give this a try. Only thing is that, it was taking a little too long to catch the thief. :DAnd this is what I noticed in c drama. Something that can be 20 episodes can go up to 40 episodes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, corey said:

I feel her portrayal in VIP wasn't that good too. It could be the genre doesn't suit her. Or it could be I didn't like the script.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I feel her portrayal in VIP wasn't that good too. It could be the genre doesn't suit her. Or it could be I didn't like the script.

But she did get very rave reviews from netizens and critics alike for her portrayal there! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

But she did get very rave reviews from netizens and critics alike for her portrayal there! 

It could be me. Maybe I didn't like the plot. Or it could be me that didn't like her?? I mean, I'm not her fan. :grimace:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

It seemed like JH left a comment (clapping) after his post..

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

It seemed like JH left a comment (clapping) after his post..but deleted it. Lol.

Lol why did he leave a comment on his own post? So random lol. Maybe he thought it was a fan post and got confused himself :lol:

• LOL 2

4 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Lol why did he leave a comment on his own post? So random lol. Maybe he thought it was a fan post and got confused himself :lol:

Well, someone here said that there is a possibility that he reposted those pictures after he saw someone else post them, so maybe he thought he was reponding to someone else... Does he ever respond on public IG posts?  I never saw anyone mention that... Another possibility- one of the kids got hold of his phone :)

• LOL 4

As usual- JH is not doing entertainment shows, but the entertainment shows seem to be doing him... :) I don't know what's going on here but I'm guessing CTH is embarrassing JH again?

edit: Christine posted an explanation:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Well, someone here said that there is a possibility that he reposted those pictures after he saw someone else post them, so maybe he thought he was reponding to someone else... Does he ever respond on public IG posts?  I never saw anyone mention that... Another possibility- one of the kids got hold of his phone :)

He has responded to his friends. It has been a while though. Another possibility, he was drunk and applauding his own beauty (narcissistic drunk?) 

• LOL 4

2 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

He has responded to his friends. It has been a while though. Another possibility, he was drunk and applauding his own beauty (narcissistic drunk?) 

Lol too hilarious. He DOES know he is handsome though and enjoys the attention to that :joy:

• LOL 3

Hm...looking back the baby was fine with JH in first two pic

EZ5wbXUVAAAQiTx?format=jpg&name=900x900

EZ5wbxDUMAEVvHy?format=jpg&name=small

EZ5wcGQU4AAPIRV?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

Hm...looking back the baby was fine with JH in first two pic

EZ5wbXUVAAAQiTx?format=jpg&name=900x900

EZ5wbxDUMAEVvHy?format=jpg&name=small

EZ5wcGQU4AAPIRV?format=jpg&name=large

I've never seen the first two pictures before... She looks very comfortable with him in those pictures :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I've never seen the first two pictures before... She looks very comfortable with him in those pictures :)

I love the 2nd pic.

• Like 3