@corey Well, technically MY did get mad at Daniel and he had to apologize, remember? But she did forgive him quickly. It was part of MYs journey to learn to love herself and therefore protect herself. At that time her self esteem was  really low so she probably was just used to getting hurt like this and just take it and keep it inside. 

I’m not skinny myself (like at all) but I do prefer curves so I’m not jealous of extremely skinny girls. I love JNR but I don’t envy her body but of course I find her adorable @budgerie I like the term “fa fu” YES I’ll take it! :lol:

Ok Corey, now that you explained the difference with the chinese fl I see what you mean. I guess she is not too shy or has low self esteem to the deegree that MY did. She is just “too nice”. I do feel it probably is still a problem and might reflect a lack of something but its definitely a different personality. I don’t identify 100% with either (I consider myself an introvert and shy/awkward in many situations but Ive always been feisty and annoying so I guess, not “nice” per se. I identify more with MYs friend. Ever since I was a little girl I tended to befriend the girls who were bullied and would even defend them by punching the bullies lol I guess I was more of a tomboy. I learned from my brothers). I believe K-version MY is extremely shy on top of being nice. I felt like protecting her. 

Budgerie, somehow I think MY wasn’t raised to be submissive. Her mom and sisters are actually a bit overbearing and independent. In her case it could be that she is simply shy. Some people are just more gentle than others. But I love that throughout the drama she found her own kind of inner strength. 

Corey, I feel Lee Gun might be exceptionally loud in Korea because people looked at him strangely when he was :lol: but also we have Cha Tae Hyun as an example of a korean who is LOUD irl and I do find (and Ive heard) that koreans are like “the italians of asia” so I guess they are considered slightly more animated/less stoic than others (maybe) 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

lol about the weight either you look beautiful, thin or chubby is matter of own perception. I must admit when I in teen years I don't like certain actress or actor coz they seem chubby or don't found them beautiful or good looking in my eyes. lol. For example, I don't like Renee Zalweeger and BJD coz I think she looks fat (sorry for my shallow teenage mind). But, years later when I'm become older and more matured (?) I found her beautiful in BJD with her cute and red cheeks. although I still don't like the movie much. :crazymad: 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

13 minutes ago, yoeda said:

lol about the weight either you look beautiful, thin or chubby is matter of own perception. I must admit when I in teen years I don't like certain actress or actor coz they seem chubby or don't found them beautiful or good looking in my eyes. lol. For example, I don't like Renee Zalweeger and BJD coz I think she looks fat (sorry for my shallow teenage mind). But, years later when I'm become older and more matured (?) I found her beautiful in BJD with her cute and red cheeks. although I still don't like the movie much. :crazymad: 

Definitely! I think teenage years is when our “perception of beauty” is the most strict. As children, we like anything that is sweet to us and not aggressive. We don’t judge fat or skinny only “is this a threat or not”? because supposedly we operate on instinct (which is meant to guarantee our survival) although I remember seeing a documentary about a study that suggested that human babies tended to feel more at easy towards “symmetrical” features but, it was old and who knows if it still stands. On the other hand, as teenagers we give so much importance to physical appearance (its also the time when we scrutinize ourselves too much too and become irritable and angsty ugh! Human teens, possibly the most annoying creatures on earth lol) and then with life and experience, hopefully! We grow out of all that (some people sadly get stuck on it). I can definitely appreciate all kinds of beauty now as opposed to my teens. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@corey Koreans obsession with beauty, perfect skin, skinny body etc is a fact. There’s a reason why plastic surgery is such a thing over there. I have seen this kind of pressure in other cultures as well but koreans take it to what I would consider an extreme that is likely unhealthy. They focus too much on the shape of the face, symmetry of features, its a bit much especially when a great part of the population will likely not conform to the impossible standards and have to have PS in order to feel good about themselves instead of embracing their uniqueness. But, Im also trying to not be judgmental here because like I said, beauty standards exist everywhere (its just that they vary from culture to culture, like whats considered acceptable to them might be “too plain” or “too skinny” in a different culture) It might a “biological” thing, would have to dig more into the subject. 

I think, my personal opinion, is that what should be encouraged is to be healthy. Curvy or skinny can be healthy and in general, it looks appealing to me when a person looks alive and happy basically :P Im certainly too overweight these days. Not healthy, even though I exercise. Its a struggle. I’d love to lose weight but mostly for health reasons. I know that in certain countries eating disorders became a big problem (Argentina) because of impossible beauty standards but obesity is also a big problem in USA, Mexico, etc  I also don’t appreciate it when mothers and aunts push their family so much to lose weight, they make them more stressed and anxious with that attitude and practically turn their kids into anorexics (I see this a lot among my colombian friends. They pride themselves in having beautiful women, beauty queens literally and it has somehow gotten into their heads that they “have” to be beautiful and sexually desirable to be valuable) and again that beauty, includes surgery to augment breasts and buttocks. Which btw would probably be considered too voluptuous for a korean. Anyway a “concerned“ advice is something I consider and aggression (passive aggressive insults) i’ve always rebelled against those. Most times they come from aunties who are not even skinny themselves. To them I say, look at yourself in the mirror and then talk to me. 

I once saw a video (I wish I could find it) where korean girls were talking precisely about what korean women consider beautiful or desirable. One of them said something like “perhaps we wear buggy clothes, not only because of modesty but also we often don’t have much curves to show lol” 

One thing I found really interesting about korean girls is how they don’t have a problem showing their legs with shorts or mini skirts even when their legs are skinny, bony or a bit crooked (yeah this is very judgmental of me, but its something I observed) Its not something I used to see before. I guess legs are not a big deal to them (and thats better, because it just would add to the pressure they already feel about having to have perfectly proportionate facial features, small faces, pointy jaws, small noses, smooth skin, etc etc etc. It’s exhausting) 

PS JH has had facial hair for so long that whenever he is clean shaven I see people on twitter (not just fans) reacting almost violently like its the end of the world  :lol: People find it unsettling like a glitch in the matrix or something. I like him both ways. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

How do I vote for this? Nothing seems to happen when I clicked on the up arrow?

https://kingchoice.me/topic-most-handsome-korean-actor-of-all-time-close-june-30-2020-61.html

It's working fine when I went in just now. Maybe you want to try refreshing the page again . Just click the green up arrow on the right.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

But she did forgive him quickly.

I know of a friend who's like this. She forgives people easily. Her husb treats her like richard simmons sometimes but she forgives him easily. It's just her personality so I think MY personality is like this. Forgiving & doesn't take offence easily.

@budgerie I like the term “fa fu” YES I’ll take it! :lol:

I struggle a lot with size problem too, if it'll make you @corey@dramafan33feel better. I happen to be born with big bones. :blink:My waist size in my teens was 24 but I look bigger than the average girl because I was an athlete + badminton player so I don't look like what most girls look like, dainty & feminine. It bothered me a lot when I was in late teens because one would think that boys would go for the dainty feminine look & I ain't one of those feminine/dainty. :tears:

Budgerie, somehow I think MY wasn’t raised to be submissive. Her mom and sisters are actually a bit overbearing and independent. In her case it could be that she is simply shy. Some people are just more gentle than others. But I love that throughout the drama she found her own kind of inner strength. 

How can I ever forget about MY mum & sister? Yup, they were loud. But it's so typical of people living in a more rural area. It's their warmth actually. My extended extended extended family lived in a countryside, they're loud & looked uncouth but they're very warm people. Very good hospitality.

14 hours ago, corey said:

I thought Chinese perception of beauty would be similar to S Korean.

Have, every country also have people who are obsessed with beauty. Esp the younger generation people, it's kinda sad that beauty to them is a face (like barbie doll), body (like supermodel) but neglecting the inner beauty which is the personality & the behaviour of individual.

14 hours ago, corey said:

I once read an article or a blog entry (I can't remember) by a South Korean girl, living in US, who was addressing some of the stereotypes present in K Dramas. And she said that yes, Koreans are obsessed with weight and physical appearance. I was really really shocked when she said that prior to visiting her relatives in S Korea she always loses 10 pounds to avoid comments from her friends and relations that she got fat. And she said that it is normal  -  at least in Seoul - to comment on someone's wrinkles, and haggard face and sagging skin and that is not malice, that these comments are only out of concern. 

Once, a friend told me that her boyfriend told her he'll only marry her if she loses 20kg. She worked very hard to lose the kilos but before she could hit 10kg, she was suffering from stomach illness because she literally starved. Is it worth it? If someone wants to marry you only if you look like a model, forget it, he's not worth your time.

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@corey Koreans obsession with beauty, perfect skin, skinny body etc is a fact. There’s a reason why plastic surgery is such a thing over there. I have seen this kind of pressure in other cultures as well but koreans take it to what I would consider an extreme that is likely unhealthy. They focus too much on the shape of the face, symmetry of features, its a bit much especially when a great part of the population will likely not conform to the impossible standards and have to have PS in order to feel good about themselves instead of embracing their uniqueness.

Remember the movie penthouse elephant? I thought the actress looked fine but she wanted to get her jaw done or something? That's why you see SK girls are mostly beautiful but they all look almost alike. 

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

whats considered acceptable to them might be “too plain” or “too skinny” in a different culture) It might a “biological” thing, would have to dig more into the subject. 

My grandma said she was chosen to be the bride for my grandpa because she had big buttock. During her era, marriage was arranged. Big buttock means can produce many offsprings. She sure had many offsprings ok, 10 or more!

2 hours ago, corey said:

You've got to be kidding me :crazy:. Fans obsessing over a few milimeters of facial hair covering about a suqare inch of skin?

Would these be young teenager? I'm sure our age, we wouldn't be so concerned about such stuff. Would be more concerned about his overall health.

@azureblue7Thank you so much for the 10 points. What am I supposed to do with it? Seriously, if you need points, please take from me ok. :lol:

• LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

20 minutes ago, corey said:

Seriously?? I thought such situations only happen in dramas with particularly bad scripts.

Eventually after suffering much stomach illness, she ditched him. He wasn't feeling bad that she's ill because of her 20kg weight loss.

20 minutes ago, corey said:

I am not sure I would be happy in an arranged marriage.

I guess if we are born in that era, we have no choice but to accept. It's the norm so people just accept it. But then again, people were simple then. They may be in an arranged marriage but they made sure the marriage worked. Hardly in those days you hear of separation.

Side note : we're chatting all sorts of topics now & JH has not given us any topic to chat about. Is his new proj ever coming out?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, corey said:

I am glad our oppa is so high in the list, but yes, the results are a bit off IMHO. I sometimes amuse myself watching these "10 most beautiful Korean actors" lists on youtube. Usually the top three are Lee Min Ho, Park Bo Gum Ji Chang Wook alternately with Lee Joon Gi. JH rarely if ever mades such lists at all.

I guess it's because none of us, JH fans, make such video lists. Obviously, those "10 most beautiful Korean actors" are made by fans, so they put their favorites on top... I find JH's fans are very mellow and kinda invisible online. If they post something on JH, they usually just concentrate on JH. Never really try to compete with other fans. Kinda like JH himself :) 

I remember once, I saw a comment trying to insult JH. I say "trying to" because it wasn't really an insult as they simply said that in DRT, the actor playing the king was better than JH, but they framed it as of it was unpopular opinion. So I responded to them that it's not really an unpopular opinion as even many JH's fans agree that JH's role in DRT wasn't big enough for him to excel. By their response, it was clear they were actually trying to bait JH's fans, eventually saying that whenever anyone says a bad thing on JH, JH fans (they called us "ajummas".... I guess you could say I'm an Ajumma at 40... :D) swarm them. The hilarious thing about it was that not one of JH fans responded to that (including me), immediately disproving their assertion. This is why I feel like JH's fandom is very mellow, I guess because they are confident of their idol... What's interesting to me is that even when trying to insult JH, people on social media find it very hard to find something to attack him on. The result is that I rarely see anyone posting a negative comment about JH, and if I do, it's usually in response to JH getting many positive posts, and then I would see this random comment basically saying "what's with all the praise for JH? But I don't like him... :tears:". It's hilarious that they feel attacked when JH is praised. But these kinds of comments are very rare... 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, corey said:

Exactly. And this "Seoul bumpkin" is sooo not my thing. Nothing to comment on so far, apart from that horrible striped shirt with an orange "stain" and a generally horrible attire of the cast...

I usually like JH in variety shows. He tends to be cute and funny. My concern is actually the two presenters that seem to be overly loud and kinda hyper. There is a moment in which they were being loud while, I guess, they were imitating the busan accent, and you can see that one of the guests was looking at them, unamused. I fear this is how I will feel about them for the majority of JH's episode :) JH didn't seem to mind, as he loves CTH so he's very indulgent of him...

I thought about it and IMO it is precisely because we (I mean JH's fans) are indeed mostly ajummas so we do not "swarm" or take such baits. I think you need a sort of maturity to fully appreciate JH - this is not to disparage the young generation, but to state the obvious fact that JH is not as popular as, say Hyun Bin or Lee MIn Ho, and is over 40, so may not appeal to the very young, who are most active in the net (mostly because they have nothing better to do - for now).

I wondered about the way JH is perceived, and why there are other 40 year old actors that do have a younger fandom. I think it has a lot do with the way those actors are being promoted... with JH it's a combination of things, I think . First of all, there is the fact of him being married. I guess, this was the reason why his managers objected to him getting married... but also, in interviews and variety shows, JH doesn't present himself as sexy. He never flirts or says anything suggestive (to my knowledge). And even if an interviewer tries to flirt with him or mock come on to him, he never cooperates. Always comes across as being embarrassed. As an actor, when he works,  he's sexier and more sensual than most of the Korean actors that I've seen, but never off the job that I've seen (as he's said- he's the most manly when he goes home..). He will do sexy photoshoots, but not that many recently. I wonder if it's his decision. Also, I noticed that many actors at red carpet events have this superior expression, an expression saying "yeah, I deserve your worship!", the kind of expression royalty would have, but JH doesn't have that expression. He usually just looks embarrassed and uncomfortable :) JH doesn't behave like a star!

But also, as most of us have admitted, we didn't become fans of his immediately. I think most of us admitted that even though we liked his acting from the get go, it took us time to evolve into fans. I still wonder why that is. Maybe it did take maturity to make that transition, that younger people don't have? I don't know. What did amuse me was that after MC and TMWYS I saw comments from younger women, almost expressing outrage that JH made them think he's sexy.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Really?! You accidentally erased his beauty mark?! HOW DARE YOU! Our precious beauty mark... :brokenheart:

:joy:

Lol!! Here's the original.. 

20200627-205910.jpg

Think no beauty mark too.. so I'm innocent! Thank goodness! :cries:

• LOL 3

JH had met with a few of his friends (these are some of the member of the shy club?). I must say, JH's friend Choi Ki-Sub is looking real good since his wedding. Love the longer hair! 

Also, is that the lady that painted Bang won's fans?

Since, I can't embed the IG link, I can just post it, right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB8HMaWF6X5/

15 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Lol!! Here's the original.. 

20200627-205910.jpg

Think no beauty mark too.. so I'm innocent! Thank goodness! :cries:

Wow! You did a really good job brushing the picture up! I think I see the beauty mark there... :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1