15 minutes ago, corey said:

Not only does he look tired, but also he looks almost ugly, despite the lovely long hair. The stylist for this Japanese inverview really did him a disservice. The only "lewk" I believe is worse that this is the "Seoul bumpkin" - pudding basin haircut and oversized striped tee shirt with a strange orange stain at the front.

I have been lurking over the past week or so, because I really had nothing to say about this new project of JH. But finally I came up with this - clothes and hair really really matter, even for such a beautiful person as JH. There.

"Ugly" is a bit too harsh a word, I think. And in "Seoul bumpkin" I thought he looked cute. The hair is not as bad as some of the other hair cuts he had... I think when it come to his hair, what I dislike the most is when his hair is overly stylized, like in the KBS award show from 2015 (made me cringe). I hate especially when you actually can see the product in his hair, like here- you can see the sparkles from the hair spray-

한채아 장혁 Jang Hyuk/KBS 연기 대상 "Best couple Award" - YouTube

Or in this award show. Here it's clear he was having fun with his look :), which is why It makes me smile more than anything- 

The Winners of 2013 MBC Entertainment Awards | Soompi

I think his hair is hard to stylize as it naturally very straight, so they need to use extra strong products or those cute clips, we often see in BTS footage, to make his hair maintain a style. This is why I actually like the natural look in "Seoul bumpkin".

As to the clothes- notice that all the guys are wearing plain to ugly clothes. I think it intentional...

At any rate, here's another pic from the interview- I think more than anything, he looks tired... maybe he worked out that day very early, and now all his energy is depleted... :) 

• Like 5

@Biology Lesson That second pic is from that time he or his stylist was being very experimental. It was definitely fun to follow him on red carpets to see what kind of shock they had in store for us lol! The hair, the clothes, it was all crazy. Then he settled back into his casual “Don’t know if this shirt go with these pants, or if my shirt has a stain and I don’t care, I’ll round it all up with a random hat” usual Jang Hyuk style :P

• LOL 5

5 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I know you are a relatively new fan but Bangwon and TMYYS or even Money Flower levels of sexiness and beauty probably set the bar too high for people who started following him. Jang Hyuk normally does not care too much about what he wears or about his hair. It’s time to lower expectations :P his real life look is very simple and sometimes a mess. In person he is very pretty (from what I saw) but even in that event I saw him, he did look a lot better in person than in pictures or video. In pictures he looked “average”. 

Whenever I think about his real life look, I always remember those young women they fed in Dragon club. The way they looked at JH- I mean, they were in complete awe in spite of the fact that it was clear he was doing his best to minimize his looks. That proves what you say- that in real life his looks is striking (people are always talking about his eyes, right?), and I think he doesn't always likes the attention

• Like 6

@corey I get why it’d seem this way when we are in the era of Instagram and filters, etc but 

I actually work in the entertainment industry for a couple decades now so I’ve seen plenty of actors and models of all ages in person. It’s not a given that all actors look better on screen. It depends on many factors and one is the intention, is the actor playing a beautiful person or an average person? The makeup and lighting can emphasize or de-emphasize beauty (as we’ve discussed before) Also, notice that new 4k cameras emphasize some flaws that the naked eyes normally don’t catch (forcing makeup and lighting professionals to do a more meticulous job)

Models need to be photogenic (although there’s many kinds of models), for an actor I suppose it can be a plus but there are also plenty of actors who aren’t even pretty (or need to be) But bottomline, being photogenic its not a requirement set in stone for an actor. There is no rule that says if “You are not photogenic, you can’t be an actor”

Also, the fan meeting I attended was a simple event, not fancy, lighting wasn’t great. Its a completely different setting than a photoshoot with a professional photographer who hopefully can capture a person’s beauty (not all photographers have talent or the necessary experience) etc etc, so many factors to consider

In addition, let’s not forget the most important factor is that Im stating my own personal opinion based on my personal taste. In MY opinion, he is more handsome in person (his eyes have a lot to do with that) but obviously its possible you will not feel that way if you see him in person. In my case, I favor natural beauty over makeup etc and he is a naturally handsome man, nice bone structure, jawline, beautiful eyes, piercing gaze and manly but gentle demeanor. I just think there are many factors that can be perceived better in person.  Also, in person, one tends to overlook things like wrinkles etc which might not look good in pictures (although it depends too) 

What I was telling you before is, he more often than not, does not overthink his looks (he probably feels he is handsome with or without trying too hard. I agree with him :P. This doesn’t mean he doesn’t appreciate it when he looks extra handsome, hence, the clapping) 

It seems to me that you’ll be disappointed if you expect him to look like OHJ when his typical look is, I dunno, LYO with green shirt and hat. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

since of the 3 guys, he was by far the weakest actor. Never coming across as a seasoned warrior... 

The one who acted as Hwi right? Ya, his acting isn't good in MC.

7 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Jang Hyuk might benefit from changing agencies. Not sure how well Sidus is doing these days (?) but, he probably won’t leave them anyway.

@Biology Lesson He does look tired! Wonder what is (was) taking his energy, the kids? :P

Not highly likely he'll leave Sidus. Sometimes I wonder, overly loyal is it a good thing or bad thing? Yes true Sidus was there for him when he was at his lowest moment but over all these years, his loyalty would have been enough isn't it? He was their milking cow for a good long many years. However I feel, over loyal, he "gave up" many opportunities too. "The grass is greener the other side" but he doesn't even give himself a chance to go to the other side. 

Also, the roles he had chosen to play in recent years (after MF) were roles or drama that not many people would tune in to. Although his acting always catch attention but the drama on the whole isn't "watchable" to the majority of audience. If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't tune in to WOL or even BPP or TMWYS or even MC. In truth, I couldn't stand the actor acting Hwi. Is the acting, not the actor. So I would forgo the drama if it wasn't because of JH.

This is probably the reason what set him apart from the rest of the artistes. His is truly acting passion. So long as he likes the role, he will accept it. Some other artistes, accept roles only if it'll bring in ratings & viewership & probably an award at the end of the year. 

Yes, he looked tired in the photo. I think it's just 1 of those days that happened to all of us. Super tired for no apparent reason(s) what more, he's an actor. He's got his schedule full everyday, maybe rehearsing, photoshoot, etc.

7 hours ago, corey said:

he looks almost ugly, despite the lovely long hair. The stylist for this Japanese inverview really did him a disservice.

I would appreciate if the stylist doesn't give him a full frindge hairstyle or a centre parting hairstyle...:tears:

• Like 4

Sorry...side track a little :

Spoiler

I happened to tune in to youtube & came across this : We are all alone - First impression by Avenue X. She spoke about things that goes behind the C entertainment industry (via this drama). This drama is about the entertainment industry. And I believe it's not exclusive to C entertainment. I believe it also happened in K entertainment.

Example : how a "star" suddenly rises, how CP is being stirred up, how scriptwriter changes the original story (love story to a non love story) from the novel, about craziness of fandom, about how idols are made, about the game of the entertainment industry. 

So if you're interested to know what's behind the entertainment industry, maybe you can tune in to this drama if it has the english subtitle. Maybe through this drama, we'll know the reason why JH is so "loyal" to his agency. Lol. :rolleyes::D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

In addition, let’s not forget the most important factor is that Im stating my own personal opinion based on my personal taste. In MY opinion, he is more handsome in person (his eyes have a lot to do with that) but obviously its possible you will not feel that way if you see him in person. In my case, I favor natural beauty over makeup etc and he is a naturally handsome man, nice bone structure, jawline, beautiful eyes, piercing gaze and manly but gentle demeanor. I just think there are many factors that can be perceived better in person.  Also, in person, one tends to overlook things like wrinkles etc which might not look good in pictures (although it depends too) 

Agree with you about his eyes.  I remembered reading fans' account about his Westwood signing event. His eyes seem to sparkle.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

31 minutes ago, corey said:

Guys! @budgerie especially as a C-Drama fan. I was utterly bored last night so I randomly clicked on a Cdrama called "You are my destiny". I swear it was random!

I know there are many remakes recently but I didn't get down to the titles. The original FTLY taiwan version was 2008. I heard that (not sure if this is right but I heard) a remake is permitted every 10 years.  

I know many people (after comparing the t version & the k version) said that the t version sucks. I'm not here to say that the t version is better or the k version is better but let's be "fair" (hahaha) in the sense that one was in 2008 without any previous script to compare, the other in 2014, a good 6 years later & had a previous script to compare & to make adjustments. Plus probably the equipment used are also more advanced/technology, the dress sense & makeup artistes probably have improved over the years too.

But I agree with you @coreythat I hate those sleeping against will type. I actually asked a male friend if it's possible to "make out" with someone when one is utterly drunk. He said he can't. :blink:But why we always have scenes of sex when one is utterly drunk (hahaha)! Someone here maybe can explain the male body system...??? Heehee!

Let me know if this drama is good. I'm out of drama to watch. And kept repeating those of my fav c actors that I think I can memorise their script already.

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Agree with you about his eyes.  I remembered reading fans' account about his Westwood signing event. His eyes seem to sparkle.

In this account they spoke about his gentleness, and it's amazing to me how a guy that boxes and does martial arts can also come across as gentle. At times looking at the way he uses his hands when drinking or eating, he almost seems dainty :) 

Even though people always always mention his eyes, and they are sparkling here, still all I can look at is his lips, again, because of the gentle way he speaks - 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Very interesting interview that @Prettysup shared on this forum in 2015. Only read it today. Sharing it again for those who have not seen it.  

Credit https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/

Jang Hyuk interview on magazine <Singles> September issue.

Translated by Gumi. 

Many thanks to JangHyukNo1 for the captures 

img_4817.jpg?w=500 
I asked him to act ‘sitting on top of several chairs and not wanting to let go of a single one’. It probably wasn’t a hard request for an actor with 19 years of career. But Jang Hyuk couldn’t help laughing a little in the middle of shooting. He probably noticed my hidden intention for this cut. In this era when everyone including idol group members try to act, this actor who already turned 40 revealed his steadily-built muscles grabbing chairs as if he really won’t let go of a single one. Jang Hyuk who does not rest a moment and stands in front of camera, crossing borders of Korea, China and Taiwan–is he also afraid of younger actors growing fast and fiercely? “That’s something I’m concerned for ever since my debut. That I will be replaced. Of course a long rest sounds attractive right after I’m finished with a project, but I worry, what if no one wants me after that?”

img_4816.jpg?w=500 
 So Jang Hyuk acts without a break. “Even a character I’ve been deeply immersed in for half a year, I can forget him the day after the filming is finished.” Jang Hyuk’s goal in his rookie years was not becoming a great actor like Al Pacino, and also was not becoming a top star. It was simply ‘keep having a next project to act in.’ In order to start a new drama or movie, he had to get rid of previous work’s character quickly. In other words, Jang Hyuk’s ‘getting rid of a character’ is a survival tactic he taught himself as a young man who desperately wished to survive as an actor. “The main problem is putting on a set of new clothes. I’ve been acting for 20 years, but still putting on new clothes for the first time always feels difficult.” Actor Jang Hyuk is not a clown who dances merrily under inspiration after gulping down some rice wine. He is rather a meticulous artisan who works hard everyday, consistent and sharp like a clock.

img_4818.jpg?w=500 
After returning from army, for nearly a decade, he has acted in 2-3 movies or dramas every year, but there is not a single character that repeats. For every new choice, Jang Hyuk made a rhythmic turn following his own pace, like a nimble boxer in the ring. But his newest drama <God of Commerce-Gaekju 2015> is his third sageuk (historical drama) in a row, after movie <Empire of Lust> and drama <Shine or Go Crazy>. Upon hearing that he will be acting a peddler in late Chosun era, walking all over the country and doing commerce, it’s not unnatural to think “Sageuk again?”

Did this boxer accidentally trip over himself? “In fact, I took turn doing sageuk and modern projects. I finished filming <Empire of Lust> and then filmed <Fated to Love You>, and before the current one I filmed a movie <Inside or Outside> in Taiwan.” It wasn’t a flared up excuse, it was a calm explanation. “It is a risk to show three sageuks in a row, I can’t deny it. But the story of characters in original novel caught my attention. The frame of someone who knows how to earn money versus someone who knows how to spend money well…I thought it was very relevant and realistic. I did not want to avoid it just because it is a sageuk.”

img_4819.jpg?w=500 

Jang Hyuk is not the type who deliberately calculates and plans his own image change. He simply jumps in if he sees a character or a project that seems interesting. Modern or sageuk, action, comedy, melo, he boldly jumps over borders of various genres. But Jang Hyuk, in the past, also has once deliberately tried construction of a new image. It is now often introduced as ‘Jang Hyuk’s embarrassing past’–‘TJ project.’ At that time, Jang Hyuk went on stage and rapped in his low voice. “I didn’t do it because I wanted to be a singer. I wanted to show a new image other than my image as a rebellious lonely child, constructed through dramas and movies. Back then it was in trend for actors to show new images through music dramas, and my company suggested I do it in my own album and music video.” Jang Hyuk finally laughs. The album might have been a failure, but TJ project was not. Thanks to it, he could feel free to construct comic images in <Successful Story of a Bright Girl> or <Please Teach Me English>. Instead of sitting and calculating what would be the best move, if you give it all you have for every project and every moment, that is how you get the ‘image change’ and progression. The face of the actor sitting in front of me seemed to be telling me so.

This man who gives off a simple and hardworking vibe like an athlete, indeed enjoys sports like an athlete. Recently he is into boxing and horseback riding. Like any other athlete, he doesn’t want to avoid when he faces an opponent who makes him feel competitious. Why is he into sports? “I don’t work out to build muscles or a body to show.” He also doesn’t do it to show off cool action skills in movies or dramas. For Jang Hyuk, sports or working out is also a form of acting training. “Sports and acting is connected. Acting is not something you can do alone. A scene is completed only when you create ensemble with a partner. Same goes for sports. I enjoy sports that requires a partner. I need to decide what to do according to the other’s movement. When I repeatedly go through boxing training where I need to think how to dodge and how to attack in a short while before opponent’s punch arrives, I become more spontaneous and flexible in thinking. It all helps in acting.” Jang Hyuk stopped for a while and added, “Well, but it’s not like I think of acting 24/7.” When he has free time, he goes camping with his family and enjoys thinking about nothing, and he also drinks with his friends. “Sometimes, after drinking, I suddenly have an impulse to watch films I did before. I reminisce, ‘Wow, I really worked hard back then,’ and think of places I went and people I met during filming. Sometimes I laugh to myself while watching, like a crazy person.”

I imagine Jang Hyuk thinking of acting even when he is drunk. Wait, didn’t he just say it’s not like he thinks of acting 24/7…?!

During this interview which was serious from head to toe, there was one moment when a loud laughter bursted out, and that is when Jang Hyuk described himself as a ‘funny person’. He claims that he is a funny person but media has been editing and only showing his serious side, thus he has serious and solemn image. He then went on for a considerably long time explaining how important humor and wit is, and how you are supposed to apply it…Then he finally sensed staffs standing around trying desperately to hold laughter, and suddenly changed topic as if nothing happened. He said that he is a very ‘tiring’ person, ever since he was young he carefully and discreetly choose every word he says and every action he makes. It has become a habit for himself so he is just fine with it, but he supposes it makes those around him pretty tired. At that moment, everyone couldn’t help but burst into laughter. Jang Hyuk is indeed a funny person. Sometimes when a person is too serious, that seriousness creates cacophony and becomes funny. Just like this case, although I am not sure if this ‘funny’ is the same as the one Jang Hyuk intended.

A real strong person is not the perfect one without weakness but is the one who knows his own weakest, softest spot. “I am a very weak person. To become strong, I work out, and face acting with trained heart. Do you know what I’m most wary of? Becoming ‘used to it’. It’s all over, if I become used to my life, used to acting. Who would ever want an actor who is relaxed and repeats same acting over and over? That’s also why I keep working without a long rest. Beginning is always difficult and hard, but agonizing over every sentence on script allows me to act with new heart, new attitude every day.” I feel like Jang Hyuk’s new drama <God of Commerce-Gaekju 2015> won’t just be a story of a mere peddler growing to become a business magnate influencing entire Chosun. It will also be a well-recorded documentary of how actor Jang Hyuk turns into merchant Chun Bong Sam. Maybe, the real drama actor Jang Hyuk has been showing us for past 19 years is exactly this.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Very interesting interview that @Prettysup shared on this forum in 2015 from Stuckonhyuk blog. 

This is a fascinating interview! His fear of being replaced- I wonder if that fear has been alleviated in recent years... him being funny, but in a serious way :) The description of how everyone around started smiling when was talking about how important it is to be funny, while he was being completely serious :D I was actually surprised that he noticed the reaction from the people around him, and changed the subject to talk about how he can get tiring for others... at times he seems almost oblivious of others when he get into a subject he is passionate about. He is such a unique character!

BTW- did you notice the update from Soompi that IG posts will no longer be embedded in the threads? That kinda sucks! I wonder why they made this change...

• Like 3

Yes the new rule. Why on earth! :tears:

58 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Jang Hyuk is not the type who deliberately calculates and plans his own image change. He simply jumps in if he sees a character or a project that seems interesting

He said that he is a very ‘tiring’ person, ever since he was young he carefully and discreetly choose every word he says and every action he makes.

Actor Jang Hyuk is not a clown who dances merrily under inspiration after gulping down some rice wine. He is rather a meticulous artisan who works hard everyday, consistent and sharp like a clock.

Btw guys, is it just me or do you guys find the last 2 descriptions and the first description quite contradictory? I know these from past interviews in how he describes himself and his work choices but at the same time I also wonder why there is two quite very different “philosophies” or approach he takes - on one hand extremely meticulous, on the other hand, not being too calculated over his role choices. It seems almost paradoxical to me! But maybe I’m seeing things too black and white, and forget that as human beings we sometimes act differently in different situations. Haha. 

“I am a very weak person. To become strong, I work out, and face acting with trained heart. Do you know what I’m most wary of? Becoming ‘used to it’. It’s all over, if I become used to my life, used to acting. Who would ever want an actor who is relaxed and repeats same acting over and over? That’s also why I keep working without a long rest. Beginning is always difficult and hard, but agonizing over every sentence on script allows me to act with new heart, new attitude every day.”

This though. Especially that line about facing acting with a trained heart. So inspiring. This is why even if one day after this man is no longer popular, even if he makes less stellar acting role choices (please don’t, though), I’m a loyal, unwavering supporter already, for the fact that he is such a humble, earnest, genuine, hardworking, gentle human being. I’d choose all these over immense award-winning popularity and talent any day. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

26 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Btw guys, is it just me or do you guys find the last 2 descriptions and the first description quite contradictory? I know these from past interviews in how he describes himself and his work choices but at the same time I also wonder why there is two quite very different “philosophies” or approach he takes - on one hand extremely meticulous, on the other hand, not being too calculated over his role choices. It seems almost paradoxical to me! But maybe I’m seeing things too black and white, and forget that as human beings we sometimes act differently in different situations. Haha. 

I think we always need to be careful with translations of JH. What he says is cryptic as it is, so the translation might be conveying a different meaning. 

So, my interpretation :) I think he doesn't mean that he jumps into a role without thinking too much about it. I think looking at his filmography it's clear he's looking for complex, unconventional, often gray characters that have a clear arc in the story. This is why I think the lack of conventional rom com roles is not a coincidence, nor is  the unusual number of good shows. Most actors will go for similar roles that will endure them success, JH doesn't. I think the lack of calculation goes into the genre, JH's image and his clout. I think this is why he doesn't mind taking supporting roles. All he cares about is what he can do with a specific character. And this is where his meticulous preparation goes. once he decided upon a character, the development of that character and JH's preparation is done meticulously. Remember the writer of MC saying that JH was as knowledgeable as a historian, and how the Chuno production admitted JH did more research than they did... 

This though. Especially that line about facing acting with a trained heart. So inspiring. This is why even if one day after this man is no longer popular, even if he makes less stellar acting role choices (please don’t, though), I’m a loyal, unwavering supporter already, for the fact that he is such a humble, earnest, genuine, hardworking, gentle human being. I’d choose all these over immense award-winning popularity and talent any day. 

Well, he has been taking roles in production that are not that good for years now, (I actually think Chuno was a horrible production) but no matter what, he will always excel through his own hard work and insight, so he almost never gives a bad character or performance, especially in recent years. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

When he has free time, he goes camping with his family and enjoys thinking about nothing, and he also drinks with his friends. “Sometimes, after drinking, I suddenly have an impulse to watch films I did before. I reminisce, ‘Wow, I really worked hard back then,’ and think of places I went and people I met during filming. Sometimes I laugh to myself while watching, like a crazy person.”

I like it that he watches his old shows whenever he feels like it. I wonder which film made he laugh like a crazy person. :w00t: 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1