Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

35 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Hihi some dramas I totally forgot about romance and only watch for bromance only.  Hwarang and WOL included.  Didn't you watch Find Me in Your Memory before?  The end kind of drag don't you think?

Anyone try Good Casting or Fix You?

I wish they would concentrated on the bromance only in Hwarang... :huh: The girl awful... 

Haven't seen the other shows- are they any good?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I wish they would concentrated on the bromance only in Hwarang... :huh: The girl awful... 

Haven't seen the other shows- are they any good?

Good Casting is kind of like korean charlie's angels.  The main female lead is a bit hot temper so not sure how you would feel about that.  She catches the people though.  It's something more upbeat for me to pass the time.

Fix You was about mental illness so I thought it had potential, but at the moment not sure where they're going with it.  I wonder what Jang Hyuk would do with character like that because he's good at carrying character with own trauma.

On another note 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

I heard that Fix You, the initial episodes are abit zany and does not depict psychiatry in the proper light. But I’ve not seen it so can’t say for sure. But the female lead is getting good reviews for carrying her character well. 

I just finished watching TWOTM today and I must say as dramatic as it is, it’s very very realistic also. Very emotional, and touches on many real life topics in a non-sugar coated way. Recommended if u guys are looking for something to watch with great acting chops from the ensemble (though a large part was Kim Hee Ae) - while we wait for news of JH’s drama! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix24 said:

Didn't you watch Find Me in Your Memory before?  The end kind of drag don't you think?

I am still seething over the ending of FMIYM. I just cannot, cannot believe that K-Drama writers still use the worst plot device ever. Details in spoiler - and it is a real spoiler, mind you!

Spoiler

I cannot belive the two years of separation at the end. And then getting back together as if nothing happened. So unnecessary, so stupid, so horrible to the other person. Sooo freaking unrealistic. And yet, everyone but me is happy because the kiss in the last episode is supposedly good (without swiching to the shot of fingers curling into fists or grabbing the garments of the other party.

Good casting is fun, but the lack of logic in the show and plot holes the size of Grand Canyon are getting to me. And the fashion! The clothes the girls wear! I ROTFL every time I see mom's jeans, shoulder pads and high-waisted pleated slacks narrow at the ankle.

25 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I just finished watching TWOTM today and I must say as dramatic as it is, it’s very very realistic also. Very emotional, and touches on many real life topics in a non-sugar coated way. Recommended if u guys are looking for something to watch with great acting chops from the ensemble (though a large part was Kim Hee Ae) - while we wait for news of JH’s drama! 

I got to ep. 11 and then I stopped - for now, that is, I plan to finish it. I agree with you that it is realistic - one of the reasons for me is that there are no purely good characters - no-one that I can truly and really root for. I have also started on King the Eternal Monarch, but here I also need to wait for the end of airing - if the ending is depressing I will not bother watching. The show requires a lot of attention, because the story is convoluted and hard to follow. So if the ending is ok, I will watch it at my leisure.

@Biology Lesson, I started on Ep 8 of Voice (had to give up for now because the internet is playing up - it is Sunday and it is raining) . My impressions are as follows

1. I hate shaky cam, as predicted

2. I had a feeling that I was watching the same ep as ep 1 and 2 - the bird-view shot of cops running along the street - the PD seem to be really lazy and lacking in imagination - using the same idea. Are the other eps like that as well - showing the cops are running along the streets?

3. OMG, JH hanged by his hands in a blood -covered room :o. My oppa!

4. The girl is simply awful, using the same tone of voice as in ep 1 and 2 - again, PD has no imagination whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

6 hours ago, corey said:

@Biology Lesson, I started on Ep 8 of Voice (had to give up for now because the internet is playing up - it is Sunday and it is raining) . My impressions are as follows

1. I hate shaky cam, as predicted

2. I had a feeling that I was watching the same ep as ep 1 and 2 - the bird-view shot of cops running along the street - the PD seem to be really lazy and lacking in imagination - using the same idea. Are the other eps like that as well - showing the cops are running along the streets?

3. OMG, JH hanged by his hands in a blood -covered room :o. My oppa!

4. The girl is simply awful, using the same tone of voice as in ep 1 and 2 - again, PD has no imagination whatsoever.

Yep, everything you commented on is true- all the show is is essentially cops running in the streets. And when they needed to delay the plot so that the main arc wouldn't be resolved too soon, the cops made sure to run really slowly, bumbling over evidence, not protecting witnesses, and generally speaking, act like complete idiots. And I completely agree, the girl WAS awful. Ironcally, I couldn't stand her voice :) It's fascinating to me that she was the only person I ever heard that JH lost his cool with. 

In the mean time, I'm officially bored with Hwarang :blink: I think my problem is that I don't really understand what is the main plot. What is the purpose of our protagonist. Is it seriously just to protect her?! He  seems aimless, just flowing in the story of the second lead, being impressive. The whole sequence in the neighboring kingdom, that I guess was supposed to be suspenseful, annoyed me more than anything. and the fact that the conflict is around the girl, is completely ridiculous to me considering how annoying she is and unimpressive. Also- no growth in the king yet... sigh...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

In the mean time, I'm officially bored with Hwarang :blink: I think my problem is that I don't really understand what is the main plot. What is the purpose of our protagonist. Is it seriously just to protect her?! He  seems aimless, just flowing in the story of the second lead, being impressive. The whole sequence in the neighboring kingdom, that I guess was supposed to be suspenseful, annoyed me more than anything. and the fact that the conflict is around the girl, is completely ridiculous to me considering how annoying she is and unimpressive. Also- no growth in the king yet... sigh...

Well, everything you commented on is true :). The storytelling did suffer a lot later in the show, be prepared for plot holes and unresolved story lines. 

However, you did not like the whole sequence in Bekjae? You did not like Park Seo Joon fighting the crown prince? He was beaten to such a pulp, poor dear :tears:

I was thinking why I like the story despite it being so flawed and I guess I am a sucker for a good story about an underdog. I love the stories where a poor orphan from the  village at the end of the world conquers the universe with his/her abilities, luck and courage (Luke Skywalker, anyone?) And PSJ is good at such stories, this is also why I liked Itaewon Class recently.

I guess that is also why LYO is my favourite character, he had to struggle so much with the whole lot of disadvantages and go against the world but he succeeded in the end. Also, Pil Joo, but to a lesser extent because he was so cold hearted and cruel.

• Like 5

It's funny, we spoke about Tazza and I said how much I don't like it, but I am glad he did it, if only for all the friends he's made on that show.  Life long friends, it seems. Christine just posted these clips from the press conference for Tazza and I love how open JH is here. No pretense, just being himself. No putting on airs like he's some sort of a star, clearly loving his co star, and showing his awkwardness about his new status as a married man... so cute!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corey said:

Well, everything you commented on is true :). The storytelling did suffer a lot later in the show, be prepared for plot holes and unresolved story lines. 

However, you did not like the whole sequence in Bekjae? You did not like Park Seo Joon fighting the crown prince? He was beaten to such a pulp, poor dear :tears:

No, I didn't like it, because everyone that went on that expedition allowed himself to be manipulated and victimized. I hated the passivity of everyone in it. And everything was predictable there for me. it was clear that he will step up and say that he's the king, Park Seo Joon is really impressive here, but his character is also being manipulated by the queen into it. The fight scenes? Maybe because I'm used to JH's fight scenes, I'm not impressed with them either... it's not like I thought he wouldn't win...  But it all felt like a throw away sequence, since the relationship with that neighboring kingdom was raised in only the two previous episodes. It's not like this the main arc of the show. I guess later we'll meet that guy again, but it's not a main concern in the show. I don't know what is, when it comes to our protagonist. He's just trapped in this story. The show doesn't have an arc. If I compare this to SOGC, there was the investigation that WS was engaged in that drove him. Here- what is it? Come to think about it, I think even in SOGC I got bored by the end, as Wang so's identity was revealed. For sure I hated the ending of that show :) 

I was thinking why I like the story despite it being so flawed and I guess I am a sucker for a good story about an underdog. I love the stories where a poor orphan from the  village at the end of the world conquers the universe with his/her abilities, luck and courage (Luke Skywalker, anyone?) And PSJ is good at such stories, this is also why I liked Itaewon Class recently.

The thing is with Luke I knew what was his motivation, he had an aim, here this guy doesn't. I think my problem was that from the get go he was presented as a fierce warrior and clever (in the first fight sequence people were afraid that he will kill them, he was that good), and then in the training he didn't do as well, but then he did. I was like- decide! He's good or isn't he?! If I think about good movies with an underdog winning theme, the movie Warrior comes to my mind. There you have a guy that is not such a good fighter, but he has a lot of spirit, and this is why he wins. Or Long training day, where we meet this young, seemingly innocent guy, that proves himself to be a quick thinker and courageous throughout the movie. They had growth, while he starts out clever and fierce...

I guess that is also why LYO is my favourite character, he had to struggle so much with the whole lot of disadvantages and go against the world but he succeeded in the end. Also, Pil Joo, but to a lesser extent because he was so cold hearted and cruel.

Pill Joo is a good example, because I didn't like MF that much either , one of the reasons was the lack of growth in PJ. He never changed- he started out smart and scary, and he ended out that way. At no point did we see him break, or doubt his path. He did change his path to fit the situation, but him main goal remained the same. There was no growth in him. LYO showed a lot of growth, this is why I adore BM...

But I think my main problem in the show is the lack of arc for the protagonist- in BM we had one of the investigation of murders in the hospital, which later became his need to find himself, as a person and a doctor, and in MF it was PJ's revenge. But our guy is Hwarang has no arc, nothing to drive him beyond his wish to protect the girl (that I guess later will be proven to a very important person...). But, man! Is she bad! I cannot stand to look at her pouting face anymore! What a bad casting choice!

And another thing- I haven't seen that many sageuks, just SOGC and TWDR, but must all of them have an old official that plots against the king? Is that a rule? :) All those court plots get tiring...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Come to think about it, I think even in SOGC I got bored by the end, as Wang so's identity was revealed. For sure I hated the ending of that show :) 

I am ashamed to admit it, but after Wang So identity was revealed I just checked the ending of the show and that was it for me. I still watch it until about ep. 10 and I love everything about it. Afterwards the show may as well not exist for me.

The thing is with Luke I knew what was his motivation, he had an aim, here this guy doesn't. [...]  But our guy is Hwarang has no arc, nothing to drive him beyond his wish to protect the girl

Firstly he wants to find his identity (he already jumped from being a peasant to a half-nobleman). Also he wants justice for the murder of his friend (hence the hatred for the king) and in broader picture justice for poor people. So I would not agree that he has no motivation, but I agree that perhaps he has no arc - he stays basically the same. And this is also what I like about him, that he does not become corrupted.

I hope that despite the flaws in the show you will watch it until the end (or at least check the ending). Just ignore the girl. :D As one review of the show said (I think it was in dramabeans), she was just a plot device to move the boys around.

And another thing- I haven't seen that many sageuks, just SOGC and TWDR, but must all of them have an old official that plots against the king? Is that a rule? :) All those court plots get tiring...

ROTFL! That was exactly what I thought  after watching some sageuks - it is almost always a good king struggling with corrupt officials, unless it is a good official fighting against an evil king! Each and every one of them! :D

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, corey said:

I am ashamed to admit it, but after Wang So identity was revealed I just checked the ending of the show and that was it for me. I still watch it until about ep. 10 and I love everything about it. Afterwards the show may as well not exist for me.

I completely understand you. There are some fun scenes after his identity is revealed, but not as fun as before. And the end made absolutely no sense. I guess they had to go there since Wang so was an actual historical character... When I rewatched the show, I simply watch the first half of the show :)

When we were discussing the girl's horrible crying, initially I wanted to say that JH crying scenes are always good, but then I remember his crying scene in SOGC... yikes! :) 

Firstly he wants to find his identity (he already jumped from being a peasant to a half-nobleman). Also he wants justice for the murder of his friend (hence the hatred for the king) and in broader picture justice for poor people. So I would not agree that he has no motivation, but I agree that perhaps he has no arc - he stays basically the same. And this is also what I like about him, that he does not become corrupted.

I hope that despite the flaws in the show you will watch it until the end (or at least check the ending). Just ignore the girl. :D As one review of the show said (I think it was in dramabeans), she was just a plot device to move the boys around.

I think I will continue. I'm still enjoying the guys, and I want the king to finally find his courage, so I'm in, for now. 

ROTFL! That was exactly what I thought  after watching some sageuks - it is almost always a good king struggling with corrupt officials, unless it is a good official fighting against an evil king! Each and every one of them! :D

One thing that I never understand is what are the rules? You see these discussions in the court in front of all the other officials and its always the old cunning official saying something to manipulate the situation, and the king/queen having no choice but go along - to save face? why?! I don't get it...  And you know that that old official will be constantly winning until the end of the show, when he will finally lose. And that is so predictable and annoying! 

• Like 1

This is covered quite in detailed, in k drama title DONG YI. The King doesn't actually have absolute powers. It's these old court officials that will "tell" the King what to do & what not to do. And there are many of them, some officials "belonging" to the Empress Dowager, some officials "belonging" to the Queen, some officials "belonging" to the King. If the King wants to do "something", he has to consult these court officials. And if maybe the Empress Dowager is not in favour, she'll get her officials to reject the King's intention or give pressure to the King. Than it depends on whose officials is stronger or has more support. Something like this....

I guess they had to go there since Wang so was an actual historical character...

They could also make WS marry the girl because in actual historical, WS had more than 1 wife. The ending for SOGC was crap!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, budgerie said:

This is covered quite in detailed, in k drama title DONG YI. The King doesn't actually have absolute powers. It's these old court officials that will "tell" the King what to do & what not to do. And there are many of them, some officials "belonging" to the Empress Dowager, some officials "belonging" to the Queen, some officials "belonging" to the King. If the King wants to do "something", he has to consult these court officials. And if maybe the Empress Dowager is not in favour, she'll get her officials to reject the King's intention or give pressure to the King. Than it depends on whose officials is stronger or has more support. Something like this....

Well, it gets repetitive! I think I can officially say that kdramas that involve court intrigue are not for me. It's just boring to me, as it always goes the same way. I literally fast forwarded the last episodes of Hwarang... 

They could also make WS marry the girl because in actual historical, WS had more than 1 wife. The ending for SOGC was crap!

It was... I remember going over the Soompi thread for SOGC and the reaction to that ending... OH MY GOD! people went nuts! It was so funny! :) Since I kinda lost interest after his identity was revealed, I really didn't care. It was baffling, but I didn't care... I think cause I kinda liked his wife, I thought she was sexier... :D

• Like 4

@budgerie Yeah, even though Shin Yool was not a historical character, SOGC is based on a webtoon, and if I recall correctly, in the webtoon she stays as one of the King’s wives except she decides not to live in the palace. So, since the story was a fantasy anyway they could’ve ended it like the webtoon (but they probably thought the audience wouldn’t like that?) but anyway I agree, they could’ve kept some historical accuracy without ruining the drama. 

• Like 6

I like his hair like this too flat, but neat.  Wish more like this in ftly bc sometime his hair is just crazy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Well, it gets repetitive! I think I can officially say that kdramas that involve court intrigue are not for me. It's just boring to me, as it always goes the same way. I literally fast forwarded the last episodes of Hwarang... 

Yes it gets repetitive & boring sometimes. Being a queen or king isn't that great. Apparently the king doesn't also have the right to choose his queen. The queen must always be someone of political status which is chosen by the king's mother or the court officials.

I think cause I kinda liked his wife, I thought she was sexier... :D

I'm one of the minority who likes the Queen in SOGC. Of course Honey Lee is sexier, she was Ms Universe 2007 (3rd runner up). Once you get that sort of title, have to maintain your figure ah...hahaha!

Frankly I didn't like the story in which made Prince WS dislike his Queen. In history, WS refused to marry the girl chosen for him but chose to marry his half sister & they had children together. Maybe it's me but I don't like when the story deviate quite much from the actual history.

12 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie Yeah, even though Shin Yool was not a historical character, SOGC is based on a webtoon, and if I recall correctly, in the webtoon she stays as one of the King’s wives except she decides not to live in the palace. So, since the story was a fantasy anyway they could’ve ended it like the webtoon (but they probably thought the audience wouldn’t like that?) but anyway I agree, they could’ve kept some historical accuracy without ruining the drama. 

I know what you mean. Since her character is non existent in actual history, if she marry WS, the audience might not accept it. 

• Like 5

@budgerie I’m with you in liking the Queen in SOGC, and she also had some interesting chemistry with JH (plus I find Honey Lee to be gorgeous in sageuk, she disappointed me in TFP but found her mezmerizing in Rebel, another historical so my feelings for her as an actress are definitely conflicted :P) I would like to see her work with JH again to see how that goes. But, as far as the character is concerned they could’ve made their relationship more interesting, complex, maybe some kind of platonic love/hate thing or maybe an “intelectual” bond between them, kind of like what they did in “Six flying dragons”. Bangwon had a fictional romance with the female lead in that but also had a more “strategic” but still interesting relationship with the character who played his eventual wife. But well, they didn’t chose that route -_-

• Like 3

JH at the gym today with Choi Ki sub

Did he trim his hair a little? He looks less bulky now. Haha.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@budgerie I’m with you in liking the Queen in SOGC, and she also had some interesting chemistry with JH (plus I find Honey Lee to be gorgeous in sageuk,

Yes she looks good in sageuk. She seemed to have that provocative look. :PInfact I enjoyed her scene with Wang So more than WS scene with Gaebong. Most of WS scenes with Gaebong are fun type (can actually feel the LG image) but scenes with his Queen is serious, sad, anger & I preferred JH acting these emotions.

I would like to see her work with JH again to see how that goes. But, as far as the character is concerned they could’ve made their relationship more interesting, complex, maybe some kind of platonic love/hate thing or maybe an “intelectual” bond between them, kind of like what they did in “Six flying dragons”. Bangwon had a fictional romance with the female lead in that but also had a more “strategic” but still interesting relationship with the character who played his eventual wife. But well, they didn’t chose that route -_-

Me too. I hope JH works with Honey Lee again. The few scenes they had in SOGC was more interesting for me than those with Gaebong :DI also like the girl who pretended to work in the brothel & she was WS spy.

• Like 3

JH's coffee truck support for his Sunbaenim, Jung Wo Sung

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1