57 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

Hi @corey Thanks for the suggestions! 

I like historicals that are a bit more “historical”. Like, not just using the past as a backdrop but with actual historical characters if possible and where the period of time, society, context plays an important part in the story. In that sense, Hwarang looks like the opposite of my taste :lol: (remember I don’t even find SOGC to be a “good” drama, I only watched it for JH) I’ll check out the others you suggested

I’m kind of tired of the cross dressing trope  (at the moment) but Tale of Nokdu is on my list for a future watch (due to some fight/battle scene I saw. That looked well done)

I will try Dr Romantic eventually but I’m not in the mood for medical or contemporary drama right now 

I watched Signal, and it was good. Also, not in the mood for crime drama :D

I know I’m being annoying at the moment and, almost competing with @Biology Lesson in “pickiness” but I’m in such a specific mood :unsure: 

I want something like Fated to love you (something adorable, genuinely cute, not forced, a couple with amazing chemistry) or Mr Sunshine (a historical with compelling characters where the historical context plays an important part) 

Hey! No one can out pick my pickiness! :D

I'm trying to think what I can suggest to you, but I think I saw less Kdramas then you, and I already told you about all the shows I liked...

Can I suggest two american shows to you?  I want you to watch them in the context of JH. The first show is "Person of interest", that I've mentioned before. The first two seasons especially were great, and I want you to watch the main character from the show John Reese while thinking about OHJ. A possible plot line for him, though OHJ has the added complexity of being a profiler. John Reese is as deadly as OHJ, though he is a bit softer...

The other show I would recommend is "Due South" (an old show :) ) the first season specifically. I want you to see the episodes around Victoria ("Victoria's secret"), it's the mid season episodes. I think the plot line in those episodes would be great for an entire show for JH- a show filled with romance, passion and suspense... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

Then watch J drama 'Asa Ga Kita' because it fulfills both of your requirements.

It's based upon actual historic characters and here period plays important part in the context of story. Second it has funny, adorable and quirky couple like FLTY. The drama has good balance of seriousness and humour. I think you will like it.

Are you sure? You make it sound too good to be true. I’m in a seriously picky mood right now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dramafan33 said:

Are you sure? You make it sound too good to be true. I’m in a seriously picky mood right now

Yes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

But you tried to lure me. Didn't you? (-:D-)

Looks like it ya? But seriously no, didn't have the intention to lure you. :lol:

One of the reason why I avoid C dramas is because of their length. The good thing about C dramas is they move pretty fast(I'm saying it only on basis of few I've watched so my impression can be wrong) while most of K dramas(despite being shorter) drag. 

Can you share what you've watched? So I can also watch it if I haven't. My genre is pretty wide. I do have fav actors (I don't just have one) so I'm not really in drama drought. But if it's a drama that I like, I will rewatch it.

It's good thing that you are into C dramas now I can rely on you to get good suggestions. I'm only familiar with Chinese movies not dramas.

I've read synopsis of The Disguiser and it looks good. Only downside is it's too long...... 

Seems like all of NIF folks travelled through time machine to make a new drama in another era. 

I've been watching chinese drama for very long. Started with Taiwanese, followed by Hong Kong, followed by Mainland China. I don't really follow Taiwanese/Hong Kong drama these days. I stick to Mainland. 

Yes, Disguiser is good & the 3 men are solid :phew:

I don't know what sort of genre you like but I can recommend you some (see spoiler). Not sure if you like the synopsis.

Spoiler

LOVE ME IF YOU DARE is a 2015 drama about Criminal/Criminal Psychologist. Something similar to TMWYS except that the girl here doesn't have memory abilities. Wang Kai looks handsome here!

LOVING NEVER FORGETTING is a 2014 drama about a 1N stand resulting in a kid but the man never knew about it. The child was raised by his mother alone. An accident happened to the boy & the man came to know he had a son. 

NEXT TIME TOGETHER FOREVER is a 2018 drama about pretend marriage/contract. The FL is going through early menopause in her 30s & she's desperate to get married because she wants a baby via IVF. She's a successful career woman & she's got OCD. She cannot stand man touching her. Hence, she's unable to have a boyfriend. The man needed a fake wife for 3 months & he's got 2 failed real marriages before. So he swear never to get married again. The woman acts in her mid 30s & the man acts a 40 year old (in real age, he's 49, she's 43).

• Like 2

@fiesty8001 @Biology Lesson

Ok guys, I’ll see where I can find those series you suggested

Watching the american series with JH in mind, will make them more appealing too B)

AND I looked up Ms Temper (aka My horrible boss) anddd added to my list cause I like both leads Lee Yo Won is my great Queen Seondeok so I have affection for her and I also liked her with JH is Great Ambition. And I simply like Yoon Sang Hyun a lot, he has those wet puppy eyes that are very expressive. He is fun to watch. I liked him A LOT as lawyer Cha in “I hear your voice” (btw I found that drama to be pretty enjoyable way back when I watched it. I would even dare recommend it. There is a crime mystery, strong female lead, sweet male lead, even sweeter second male lead, romance and all). I also liked YSH in Gapdong and even as Oska in Secret Garden (despite not really loving the drama) 

• Like 4

I recommend Pinocchio a lot, and yes, IHYV. Also, doctor stranger (it had its flaws but ultimately, it was one of LJS’s strongest acting, even more so than his later pieces). I think I recommended lady in dignity before but not sure if you guys picked it up. It has a mixture of mystery and comedy and social strata reflections. 

I think we are all bored waiting for JH’s new drama announcement lol. 

btw I saw a mandarin translation going around of a new interview with Kim Hong Sun, TMYWS’s creator on IG. Does anyone have an english translation? 

• Like 4

I'm watching Sky Castle but still stuck at Episode 4. lol. Need a little warm up. I'm trying to watch Thai drama The Crown Princess. If episode 1 got me  hook I will continue.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Reel Life said:

I recommend Pinocchio a lot, and yes, IHYV. Also, doctor stranger (it had its flaws but ultimately, it was one of LJS’s strongest acting, even more so than his later pieces). I think I recommended lady in dignity before but not sure if you guys picked it up. It has a mixture of mystery and comedy and social strata reflections. 

I think we are all bored waiting for JH’s new drama announcement lol. 

btw I saw a mandarin translation going around of a new interview with Kim Hong Sun, TMYWS’s creator on IG. Does anyone have an english translation? 

Here it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@azureblue7 So interesting what he said! But I wonder if I’m understanding correctly, is he literally saying that he and other actors feel sorry that they didn’t cooperate with JH enough? How much exactly was JH running the show this time? :P Ugh if that’s the case then should I also BLAME JH for what we didn’t get? <_< (No I won’t cause he is not the writer after all) but, interesting...

I’ll say to the PD (didn’t realize this was his first work as producer awww) Anyway I’d say do a S2 but let JH co-direct it and/or write/supervise the script directly. 

And to JH I’ll say GIVE ME A HOT KISSING SCENE! 

Anyway, the fact that this PD is self aware, means he has a great possibility of getting better and better. It seems he appreciates JH a lot too and that makes me like him :P 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@azureblue7 thank you for posting this translation! you are the best!

this is fascinating! So both JH and the producer are not pleased with the final result of TMWYS... This is so interesting. I wonder if their dissatisfaction corresponds with ours, and I wonder what prevented them from accomplishing what they really wanted... Was it that JH was too busy with MC and didn't have the time to change the script before they started filming, so they had to do things on the fly? 

4 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 So interesting what he said! But I wonder if I’m understanding correctly, is he literally saying that he and other actors feel sorry that they didn’t cooperate with JH enough? How much exactly was JH running the show this time? :P Ugh if that’s the case then should I also BLAME him for what we didn’t get? (No I won’t cause he is not the writer after all) but, interesting...

@dramafan33 You remember that I suspected that the whole blind and disabled misdirect was added AFTER they started shooting since in the first promotion pictures that came out JH was standing and clearly looking at the camera. It was only in the second batch of promo pictures that suddenly JH was sitting on a wheel chair and wearing those glasses... This interview makes me think I was right, or at least partly right, but I hope that JH will draw the right conclusions, and realize that he needs to officially take more responsibilities in his next production, as you said. For sure JH's ideas enriched the show, but probably they also are responsible for the show not being very consistent.

I’ll say to the PD (didn’t realize this was his first work as producer awww) Anyway I’d say do a S2 but let JH co-direct it and/or write/supervise the script directly. 

And to JH I’ll say GIVE ME A HOT KISSING SCENE! 

This makes me hopeful that they are indeed working on another project together, since both of them seem unsatisfied and they are expressing it! I really hope that this means we are actually going to get a second season (please let it be a prequel!!) , and that JH is working right now on the script. And of course that he is including in it a hot kissing scene... or several :)  of course. That's a given! :D

Anyway, the fact that this PD is self aware, means he has a great possibility of getting better and better. It seems he appreciates JH a lot too and that makes me like him :P 

Completely agree. It's so fascinating to hear that the producer thinks he failed JH... I would love to see more footage from the BTS to understand how can JH come into a show, bring his own ideas after filming has already started, and still make the production feel apologetic towards him!! And the producer is saying that the other actors also feel apologetic towards JH! What is that?! JH combination of insight, resolution, hard work and sweetness must be deadly ! :)

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

39 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I found Person of interest on Netflix! :) Woohoo!

Great! Enjoy! Just a word of warning- the two first seasons are incredible. The third was OK. Season 4- I wouldn't recommend watching, and season 5 ruined the entire show for me, so- I wouldn't recommend watching beyond season 3. 

• Like 2

I have finished Ms Temper. Any my comment is - whoever says that in South Korea actors above forty cannot do romcom is simply mistaken!!!!

Yoon Sang Huyn is three years older than JH.  Granted, he looks more boyinsh and less manly than JH, but he is older!!!  And this was an amazing romcom about people above 40 with history of failed relationships! Is this an exception confirming the rule? I think that people more and more want to see dramas with adult characters, not necessarily only flower boysi n their 20.

So why JH isn't in any such dramas?

10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

That is so strange... why would people like such a subject?!

About the life of the Married- I understand that you might not like the subject. It reminds me of  my opinion about war films  - why would anyone watch films about wars, which are horrible in itself. I continue to watch the show because I want to see how the FL deals with the situation. It has a wide social context as well. Definitely will not be uplifting I am afraind.

But I want to comment on another thing  - this show has great rating so far. And it is about adult relationship. So again, I think it is not quite true that people in S Korea are not interested in stories about adults, romantic or otherwise. I think demographics are changing and foties becomes the new thirties. This strengthens my opinion that JH is simply underused in K-Drama land.

And @Biology Lesson, I do not think that JH improving his English would help his situation very much. At his age it is quite impossible to get rid of accent . There are very few actors who enjoyed success in Hollywood without speaking perfect English without any accent (like Arnold Schwartzenegger). What would have helped him is to be in another movie like "Parasite" - recognized internationally but still being a foreign language film.

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

this is fascinating! So both JH and the producer are not pleased with the final result of TMWYS... This is so interesting. I wonder if their dissatisfaction corresponds with ours, and I wonder what prevented them from accomplishing what they really wanted...

I would like to know why exactly they are dissatisfied. The statements in the interview are quite vague.

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

You remember that I suspected that the whole blind and disabled misdirect was added AFTER they started shooting since in the first promotion pictures that came out JH was standing and clearly looking at the camera. It was only in the second batch of promo pictures that suddenly JH was sitting on a wheel chair and wearing those glasses... [...]

For sure JH's ideas enriched the show, but probably they also are responsible for the show not being very consistent.

I agree with you here - if JH added the idea of OHJ being in a wheelchair it was only half of the job well done in my opinion - he made OHJ so interesting visually - but not much was added in terms of character development. So the question is - is JH and PD dissatisfied witht he show because there was no character development ? Or is it something else?

I think we may conclude the answer from seeing the next project by JH.

@dramafan33 - this may be a silly qestion, but have you seen the mini-series Shogun? It is a 1980 show, so you probably did not see the original TV release (I did, when it was first aired in my country).  If you have not, I recommend it. 

Edit: @fiesty8001, you 've got to be kidding me, Asa Ga Kita has 156 episodes :crazy:!!!!

• Like 3

@corey Ok, but has anyone said that a 40 sth shouldn’t do rom com? I believe what some of us has stated is that it’s not common in kdrama but we would not mind seeing it (in my case I’d prefer a sexy drama not so much comedy but I’ll take anything fun and sexy) 

YSH has much more of a reputation with rom com and “soft” characters than JH, regardless of his age. Based primarily (I think) on Secret Garden. He was really good with his rough cop character in Gapdong but no one really remembers that, only a few people watched that drama. I think “Oska” is to YSH what “Daegil” is to JH. No matter how many “Oscars” they win in the future, the average folk will always relate them to those characters (Im talking about Korea btw) 

But anyway the problem is, not a lot of romantic stories for people over 40 are being produced. I think that is a fact. 

Speaking about why people sometimes watch depressing, tragic stories. We can attribute it to the appeal of the greek tragedy “catharsis”

The term catharsis comes from Aristotle’s Poetics. He said that a catharsis was a purgation of pent up emotion. Plato believed poetry was emotional and irrational. But Aristotle saw poetry as an outlet for emotion; thus, a purgation.

This is usually when a character undergoes a mental or physical change, often because of suffering, and must experience an emotional overflow. The audience may identify and empathize with the character because suffering is universal. The experience of catharsis is meant to use this overflow of emotion as an outlet in order to return to a state of balance and harmony. For example, in It’s a Wonderful Life, George Bailey loses his temper, contemplates suicide and questions the purpose of his own existence. It is through this emotional and philosophical introspection and purging that he is able to put things into perspective and return to a harmonious life.

The most cited example is the tragedyof Oedipus Rex. Oedipus is a tragic figure. Some theorists have supposed that audiences get a cathartic relief when watching tragedies because they appreciate not being in the protagonist’s position.

Oedipus blinding himself is the height of his cathartic experience: a total overflow of emotion. Aristotle said catharsis was the aesthetic function of a tragedy. That function is to bring the audience to an emotional height and then resolve the story, bringing them back down again

Furthermore, sometimes we watch stories to “escape” but humans also watch tragic stories to “feel better about their own reality” and to “release”, for example watching something like Misaeng might be depressing to you because it resembles your reality too closely and it doesn’t make you happy. But others may watch it for the same reason. Because watching their own reality depicted on the screen, it’s something they can relate to and react to, even cry with it, which can be healing. 

So a person who has dealt with a cheating husband may avoid such stories but another may seek such stories to “resolve” such issues through the story.   

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

49 minutes ago, corey said:

But I want to comment on another thing  - this show has great rating so far. And it is about adult relationship. So again, I think it is not quite true that people in S Korea are not interested in stories about adults, romantic or otherwise. I think demographics are changing and foties becomes the new thirties. This strengthens my opinion that JH is simply underused in K-Drama land.

I hope that you are right, cause none of us are willing to allow JH be relegated to the old people home yet :) 

And @Biology Lesson, I do not think that JH improving his English would help his situation very much. At his age it is quite impossible to get rid of accent . There are very few actors who enjoyed success in Hollywood without speaking perfect English without any accent (like Arnold Schwartzenegger). What would have helped him is to be in another movie like "Parasite" - recognized internationally but still being a foreign language film.

The sole reason I wanted JH to improve his English is that that would give him more international opportunities, and I don't necessarily mean Hollywood. I actually would love seeing him do a production in cooperation with Bollywood, for example. For such a production there is not need in a perfect accent... The reason I want him to do productions outside of Korea is exactly what we've been discussing- the rarity of good mature romantic roles in Kdramas. I don't want JH to do a show similar to "the life of the Married" as popular as they may be. These type of shows maybe have more mature kiss scenes, but they tend to have unlikable characters, so that makes those scenes lacking in emotional impact. I just want a good and interesting story with a an emotional impact and likable characters...

@dramafan33 - this may be a silly qestion, but have you seen the mini-series Shogun? It is a 1980 show, so you probably did not see the original TV release (I did, when it was first aired in my country).  If you have not, I recommend it. 

It's funny, only today I saw a link to that show. I actually remember watching that show when I was young. But even better- I actually read the book! It's a great book :) 

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson The thing with unlikable characters is that eventually they should become more “likable” right? (Although not always) One could argue that JH has mostly played initially “unlikable” characters :ph34r:

In fact, I just read someone saying that as good as Money Flower looked, she didn’t continue watching it because everyone was twisted and unlikable :( (bummer) 

@corey I found some movies called Shotgun on Amazon but I can’t find the series. And yeah @fiesty8001 is trolling us recommending a drama that’s over 150 eps :blink:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson The thing with unlikable characters is that eventually they should become more “likable” right? (Although not always) One could argue that JH has mostly played initially “unlikable” characters :ph34r:

In my experience, not in these types of shows... I may be wrong, but in shows of these types the characters don't become more likable, but they get justification. 

26 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

In fact, I just read someone saying that as good as Money Flower looked, she didn’t continue watching it because everyone was twisted and unlikable :( (bummer) 

As you know I also had many problems with Money flower, and the lack of likable characters was only one of them. If it wasn't for JH, I probably wouldn't have watched that show till the end...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

One could argue that JH has mostly played initially “unlikable” characters

ROTFL indeed! I remember I initially really hated LG in FTLY!

20 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

One could argue that JH has mostly played initially “unlikable” characters

@corey I found some movies called Shotgun on Amazon but I can’t find the series. And yeah @fiesty8001 is trolling us recommending a drama that’s over 150 eps :blink:

Oh, so you have not seen it? Of all the unlikely places, it is uploaded in its entirety on you tube, just type "Shōgun (James Clavell)" in the search. (I noticed you spelled it "shotgun" maybe this was the problem). I do not want to past the link here, as it is converted in a 9-hour long video , but it should be the first item popping after the search.

@Biology Lesson, regarding the lack of good mature romantic roles in Kdramas."Ms Temper" is the proof that it is possible to have such shows. It is all up to the quality of writing and directing. I could not but admire just how well written this show was, almost no boring scenes, every single detail has a pay-off later in the show. And I want Lee Yo Won as the next leading lady for JH. She is forty now, so perfect for JH. I think this couple would be dynamite, don't you?

• Like 4

@corey Lee Yo Won and Jang Hyuk actually worked together in Daemang aka Great Ambition and I liked them together. She always plays mature characters, serious, sometimes even “unlikable”. I don’t think I”ve ever seen her try to act “cute”. In fact, her tendency is towards “cold”, “cerebral” characters. In Daemang, her character was calm and smart, smarter and more mature than our sweet male lead. She sold it well and she was much younger. She has always had a mature vibe.  Also, Jang Hyuk had really nice chemistry with Son Ye Jin, who played a sort of tomboy who was in love with him (Son Ye Jin is famous for various works but lately she was in Crash Landing On You) She is also the right age to work with JH and had great rapport way back when (but I feel she is too much of a star nowadays, still, there’s always a possibility)

And yes! I thought you meant “Shotgun” ROTFL! Shogun sounds very familiar to me. I think it aired in my country as well. 

And dear, again, no one has said it’s impossible for mature stories to be written lol! Of course its possible and we want them! Kdrama doesn’t do much of those, THAT is the problem. But anyway, we can keep hoping. 

Here is a scene of Daemang (I know it’s old but I liked this drama)

Awwww FEELS! (ok Im going to rewatch this drama instead of looking for a new one) 

• Like 4