5 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

More about serious Hyuk who takes jokes seriously too..:lol: This clip is from Stuckonhyuk blog. But some of the clips cannot be played anymore. So I did my own subs to those...:sweat_smile:

Again, I'm a bit baffled- why is this so funny?!  I think I'm not getting Korean culture... To me it sounded like JH was joking with her when he said he'll be in the snail club with her, just like his joke in this clip. His humor is very deadpan and quirky... It seems to me these guys just don't get JH's sense of humor. I don't blame them since It's often hard to tell when he is joking... :)

All these clips show one thing- JH's maintaining a polite distance with women. He will help them, he will support them, he will joke with them, but he will also maintain a certain level of distance through formal speech and behavior. I remember in the healing camp interview they brought a quote from past female costars that said that it was impossible to become friends with him because of the distance he maintains. Obviously he doesn't maintain the same distance with men. 

• Like 2

JH's maintaining a polite distance with women. He will help them, he will support them, he will joke with them, but he will also maintain a certain level of distance through formal speech and behavior. I remember in the healing camp interview they brought a quote from past female costars that said that it was impossible to become friends with him because of the distance he maintains. Obviously he doesn't maintain the same distance with men.

Having been in the industry for so long, he knows what to do & what not to do in order not to create news. I'm not sure if K media is as "harsh" as C media but still, the minute any media "catch" you with a woman, it'll be news for a long time, even though if it's just a platonic friendship, it'll become big news because the woman would be seen as the 3rd party. :(

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Again, I'm a bit baffled- why is this so funny?!  I think I'm not getting Korean culture... To me it sounded like JH was joking with her when he said he'll be in the snail club with her, just like his joke in this clip. His humor is very deadpan and quirky... It seems to me these guys just don't get JH's sense of humor. I don't blame them since It's often hard to tell when he is joking... :)

Haha! I thought I was the only one who didnt find it funny. I was thinking it's a korean culture thing which I may not be able to relate. But Hyuk didnt really bother to explain. He just smiled as usual. Very gracious. 

• Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, budgerie said:

Can you share what you've watched? So I can also watch it if I haven't. My genre is pretty wide. I do have fav actors (I don't just have one) so I'm not really in drama drought. But if it's a drama that I like, I will rewatch it.

I've watched some popular costume/fantasy dramas like Scarlet Heart, 3 Worlds 3 Lives 10 miles of Peach Blossoms, Empress in the Palace, Age of Phoenixes, Red Sorghum etc. But I've not finished many of these dramas(due to lack of time or intrest). 

Modern C dramas don't look too attractive to me. Are costume/fantasy dramas more popular in China? It seems like they don't spend enough money on modern dramas.:sweatingbullets:  Although the production quality of many new C dramas(I guess mainly non-modern) is top notch.

I think quality and popularity of C dramas would surpass K dramas in upcoming years. 

• Like 1

@azureblue7 Hi, in that last clip you shared, I remember that Gumi explained they weren’t simply using the word “cute”. They were talking about “aegyo” specifically which is a very “korean” thing (the child-like gestures we sometimes talk about) also present in other asian cultures. Lee Da Hae was saying that even though he appears so serious, he also does “aegyo” occasionally (we’ve seen it too and I think he has become even more aegyo prone as he got older. He is just rather clumsy doing it which makes him more genuinely cute) . 

There’s an anecdote from the fans during the Money Flower wrap up party. Jang Hyuk looked amazing during this wrap party btw because he dressed exactly like Piljoo. Anyway he was particularly happy that day, he looked very relieved and proud with the results of the drama. He actually even got noticeably tipsy that time (always kinda gets really red when he drinks even just one drink but he was a tad more this time) From time to time, he would turn to look to the fans table and do aegyo to them, funny faces or finger hearts etc (the daughter’s influence) Of course there was a moment when he took pictures with them and all (but that was at the beginning). At the end he got close to them to say goodbye (already tipsy) and as he left he said: You liked it right girls? I did well? (Referring to the drama) and they screamed Yessssss, yes, oppa, you did great! And he said “Yayyyy” (or the korean equivalent) as he left (softly getting dragged by his manager), like a little kid. They all melted cause it was too adorable. 

To provide more context, this same group of fans had visited him prior to Money Flower filming, on the set of “The Swordman”, btw Gumi told me at the time, that it was the only time ever that they saw JH not look “attractive” in person. The Swordman look was so bad, he looked positively, not handsome lol so this fact somehow made it possible for the fans to be very frank with him and talk casually. Normally they’d be hypnotized by his beauty and not able to say a thing :lol:. Anyway as he was telling them about Money Flower, they told him what they thought, that it was probably not a good idea, why are you doing this oppa? It sounds like Midas, you’ve done that before. Why do a weekend drama? etc. So he explained his reasons, asked them to trust him, the script is good, there’s a similarity to Midas but it’s a different approach etc, in summary he ended up “justifying” his decision. Btw Gumi felt really embarrassed afterwards, asking herself how did they dare be this honest? (Bordering on rude?) It was certainly not common for them to talk this way to him. But anyway, it’s probably the reason why he went out of his way to ask them if they loved his work in Money Flower and looked particularly happy and proud with the results. 

Aegyo (Korean애교; Hanja愛嬌) in Korean refers to a cute display of affection often expressed including but not limited to through a cute/baby voice, facial expressions, and gestures.[1] Aegyo literally means behaving in a flirtatious, coquette-ish manner and it is commonly expected for both male and female k-pop idols[2] to behave this way. However, it is not uncommon for everyday people to behave in such a way, and is widely used as an expression of affection to loved ones, families, and friends. Aegyo can also display closeness with others, which can possibly bring people together. The word is often translated as cuteness in English[citation needed] and can be compared to the Chinese concept of sājiāo 撒娇[3], or the Japanese concept of kawaii or to the Japanese equivalent, aikyou (愛嬌, あいきょう).[4]

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, budgerie said:

I'm wondering if it's coincidence or is it a married man kind of thing, cos I've also seen married c actor doing that in press conf or in talk shows, offering his jacket to cover the actress legs. Maybe married men are more sensitive & observant?? :grimace:

Nope it's just Korean(and I guess now also Chinese) actor thing. These actresses don't have sensibility to dress properly for formal events or for winters. I've seen So Ji Sub offering his handkerchief to 11 years Kim Soo Ahn whose coordinator dressed her in a short frock. Poor girl had hard time saving her modesty.

Once a popular Indian actress wore a cringy mini dress in a children's show and half of the show she was trying to pull her dress down and other half of the show she was trying to pull her gaping neckline up.:crazy:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

There’s an anecdote from the fans during the Money Flower wrap up party.

You've shared this story with me earlier. I'm surprised that he could remember the 'concerns' of his fans in that state. In my imagination he passes out after having one shot of soju.:sweatingbullets:

Anyway for me :

Drunkard = not cute

Hyukie = cuteness personified 

Drunk Hyukie = still cute

• LOL 7

23 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 Hi, in that last clip you shared, I remember that Gumi explained they weren’t simply using the word “cute”. They were talking about “aegyo” specifically which is a very “korean” thing (the child-like gestures we sometimes talk about) also present in other asian cultures. Lee Da Hae was saying that even though he appears so serious, he also does “aegyo” occasionally (we’ve seen it too and I think he has become even more aegyo prone as he got older. He is just rather clumsy doing it which makes him more genuinely cute) . 

Thanks! I know they mentioned aegyo but wasn't sure how to translate that in English. I wished I downloaded those subbed videos on your blog before they were gone. Was relying on the chinese subs to translate. Looking up on google didn't quite help, as I just saw the word cuteness and used it.:sweatingbullets:.Haha!  So it is more than cute? More like child like?

Aww...thanks for sharing those anecdotes about him . He is really very child like and adorable. And I love it that he talked to his fans about his work and later acknowledged them at the Wrapup party. So sweet of him.:love:

Didn't know that the swordsman image was that bad. Wonder if it will ever be released at all.

• Like 3

@azureblue7 To be honest, since Gumi told me that about The Swordman, that they managed to uglify him, Im not super concerned about it not being released :lol: (I know, shallow shallow)

@fiesty8001 Same feelings about drunks lol He wasn’t suuuuper drunk, he could still remember the fans and what they thought about MF. These are fans that have visited him in enough occasions that he recognizes some of them. I mean I know you are joking (Im being JH and blowing up the joke by answering it seriously lol) but I think he has built “some” resistance to alcohol over the years :P

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Haha! I thought I was the only one who didnt find it funny. I was thinking it's a korean culture thing which I may not be able to relate. But Hyuk didnt really bother to explain. He just smiled as usual. Very gracious. 

Exactly! It felt like they were determined to missunderstand him, and he just was resigned to it...

The look on his face... I wonder what he was thinking during that show, and all the interview shows, for that matter... We know he doesn't like it, and feels out of place, but he is, as you said, so gracious while doing those shows and so shy and awkward. I notice that in later years he would be more natural, he'd be funny and witty, but then at a certain point, he will subside to his usual shyness. Maybe this is why hasn't done a show like this in a while? I think the last show of this style he did was "radio star", no?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

So he explained his reasons, asked them to trust him, the script is good, there’s a similarity to Midas but it’s a different approach etc, in summary he ended up “justifying” his decision

Haha I actually didn’t think that the MF script was that great, I felt the directing and acting outshone the script by leaps and bounds. I hope he is able to get a genuinely good script next time around. Or at least do a remake of a hit in another country so that it is guaranteed the writing is good. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I know you are joking (Im being JH and blowing up the joke by answering it seriously lol) but I think he has built “some” resistance to alcohol over the years :P

Just like how his singing voice has been "improved" over the years? :w00t:

• LOL 2

40 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 To be honest, since Gumi told me that about The Swordman, that they managed to uglify him, Im not super concerned about it not being released :lol: (I know, shallow shallow)

I noticed that in the few pictures that they released from that movie. It's like they went out of their way to make him unattractive. My guess is that JH was also involved in the decision to do that, if not completely responsible. I guess this is why I was kinda excited for the prospect of OHJ being blind, as I thought we'd get to see his blind fighting in a more attractive look. But I guess that wasn't to be... 

You can see the bad look in this pic especially- the hair is awful! 

Joe Taslim, Jang Hyuk and Jung Man-sik team for up for 'The ...

40 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@fiesty8001 Same feelings about drunks lol He wasn’t suuuuper drunk, he could still remember the fans and what they thought about MF. These are fans that have visited him in enough occasions that he recognizes some of them. I mean I know you are joking (Im being JH and blowing up the joke by answering it seriously lol) but I think he has built “some” resistance to alcohol over the years :P

As we've seen in the Bar life show he did, the more drunk JH is, the cuter he gets! :) and strangely- daintier...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Haha I actually didn’t think that the MF script was that great, I felt the directing and acting outshone the script by leaps and bounds. I hope he is able to get a genuinely good script next time around. Or at least do a remake of a hit in another country so that it is guaranteed the writing is good. 

I learned later that the script was adjusted for him. I liked that drama a lot, including the script (I know not everyone does, of course). I’m personally very happy he decided to do it and even defended his decision despite doubts and concerns expressed by some people around him. If it fails, so be it. This is what he said about “Money Flower” too, it felt “right” to him and he said to the director, that he was willing to take the risk with her, if it fails, they fail together and so what? There’ll be other projects. Maybe what constitutes a “good” script for JH is not to everyone’s taste (but it is to mine so far, among the roles he fought for and demonstrated to be extra passionate about like “Daegil” and “Piljoo” are among my top characters played by him) 

I’m certainly glad he doesn’t make decisions based on anyone else’s input. Many actors don’t even read scripts and its their managers or assistants who pre-select them (A random example, comedian Adam Sandler was offered Uncut Gems years ago, his manager rejected this script many times, until it got to Adam’s hands and he decided to do it. Its a serious role and there was even buzz that he’d get an Oscar nomination for this role. Possibly the best and only prestigious acting role of his career so far) 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I agree, the script wasn't that good... I actually didn't like the directing much better...

I really hope that JH is thinking hard these days about how he wants to work in the future and make some changes- I think that what MC and TMWYS has taught us is that JH cannot continue to be only concerned about his role when he takes on a project.  I truly think it's about time he officially gets more involved in productions and their scripts. It can't continue with him making his role epic, while the rest of the production is mediocre!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dramafan33 said:

A random example, comedian Adam Sandler was offered Uncut Gems a long time ago, his manager rejected this script many times, until it got to Adam’s hands and he decided to do it. Its a serious role and there was even buzz that he’d get an Oscar nomination for this role. Possibly the best and only prestigious acting role of his career so far) 

So, did Adam Sandler fire his manager afterwards? :P

• LOL 1

6 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

So, did Adam Sandler fire his manager afterwards? :P

No! Surprisingly they still work together :lol: I suppose the guy is good at other things, but not choosing scripts :P In fact I was trying to remember other roles this same guy rejected that ended up being super successful. Adam mentioned them but I can’t remember at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

I learned later that the script was adjusted for him. I liked that drama a lot, including the script (I know not everyone does, of course). I’m personally very happy he decided to do it and even defended his decision despite doubts and concerns expressed by some people around him. If it fails, so be it. This is what he said about “Money Flower” too, it felt “right” to him and he said to the director, that he was willing to take the risk with her, if it fails, they fail together and so what? There’ll be other projects. Maybe what constitutes a “good” script for JH is not to everyone’s taste (but it is to mine so far, among the roles he fought for and demonstrated to be extra passionate about like “Daegil” and “Piljoo” are among my top characters played by him) 

Oh don’t get me wrong! I certainly loved that he did Money Flower, and Pil Joo. It was my first drama of him and I was hooked. Didn’t fast forward at all. (Actually there were some parts of FTLY that I even fast forwarded, esp that of the stepmom and Daniel Pitt/MY. But what I mean is compared to other shows, I think they have stronger scripts which really has the ability to be etched deep in your heart. But plot wise and pace, yes MF was really good. And when I read how much openness JH went into the production with the director (all that you said above), that was how I started falling for JH! How many actors would dare to say that. Most would be concerned abt their popularity and maintaining it, by avoiding the risks of a flop project at all costs. He’s truly one of a kind. :) 

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I really hope that JH is thinking hard these days about how he wants to work in the future and make some changes- I think that what MC and TMWYS has taught us is that JH cannot continue to be only concerned about his role when he takes on a project.  I truly think it's about time he officially gets more involved in productions and their scripts. It can't continue with him making his role epic, while the rest of the production is mediocre!

I completely agree with everything you said here. I sometimes have an inkling that he places almost a lopsided weight for his own interest in his role, and lesser weight on the potential overall quality of the production and script (but this one we can’t complain much, they only receive up to 4 episodes of script I think so it’s hard to judge). Buttttt that’s a wild assumption I’m making and I sometimes say it to make myself feel better when I’m sad for him about why he’s not in a great show with great script with great ratings that many seem to get hahahaha...

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I completely agree with everything you said here. I sometimes have an inkling that he places almost a lopsided weight for his own interest in his role, and lesser weight on the potential overall quality of the production and script (but this one we can’t complain much, they only receive up to 4 episodes of script I think so it’s hard to judge).

I think you are right, but I think he does that because maybe he doesn't think it's his place to affect the parts that are not his.  I think he comes on a production and does his job to the best of his ability. He will advise others, he we make suggestion to them, but even that I think he does only when they are in a scene with him. Which explains why LDH and OJH were so boring in all their scenes except the scenes they did with JH. Or why the plot around the friends in MC was so superficial and idiotic.

I hope that JH's expressed disappointment in what happened with TMWYS will make him realize he needs to look at the entire script and have a say in the direction the show will take, in order for it to be balanced. Meaning he has to start taking a role in a production team.

29 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Buttttt that’s a wild assumption I’m making and I sometimes say it to make myself feel better when I’m sad for him about why he’s not in a great show with great script with great ratings that many seem to get hahahaha...

On the other hand, it seems that a great show with great script with great ratings is really rare. Look at how all of us are trying to find a good show to watch, and failing miserably. In the last two weeks I didn't finish a single Kdrama I started watching, and I have been trying a lot :)

Only today I tried watching a Cdrama- "Next Stop Together Forever" that @budgerie recommended to me, but I have a suspicion she was actually trying to punk me <_<, because this show has the most annoying FL protagonist I've ever seen! More annoying than any of the women in the Kdramas that I've seen! Oh my god!... :confounded: 

So, as I've said,  really good dramas are very rare... :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 2